View Full Version : I Got a problem hitting people

Rushing Dude
02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I have not boxed in any matches, but i have sparred and i have problem fighting with other people i am always worried that i will hurt the person and i hold back a lot and by doing this i just tend to miss the person just a bit and hardly land any punches. I know i shouldn't be having this problem with a fighting sport, but how can i go about holding back from not being stupid, but without it effecting my sparring this much. I don't mind being critisized or whatever i just want it told how it is. Maybe u guys had this problem 2 and overcame it, really need help on this one guys.

Thanks RD

mickyward5656
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I have not boxed in any matches, but i have sparred and i have problem fighting with other people i am always worried that i will hurt the person and i hold back a lot and by doing this i just tend to miss the person just a bit and hardly land any punches. I know i shouldn't be having this problem with a fighting sport, but how can i go about holding back from not being stupid, but without it effecting my sparring this much. I don't mind being critisized or whatever i just want it told how it is. Maybe u guys had this problem 2 and overcame it, really need help on this one guys.

Thanks RD

If your afrais to hit someone you sould not be boxing. im not saying you have to try to kill them in sparring, but you should be hitting at about 75% depending on your oppnant

THE REED™
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
If your afrais to hit someone you sould not be boxing. im not saying you have to try to kill them in sparring, but you should be hitting at about 75% depending on your oppnant

your missing his point, i know what hes talking about.. hes not afraid to hit someone... just unsure how HARD to hit in sparring...

I say I make it as rough as my competitor does

res
02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks RD

Well people in everyday life associate hitting with anger/animosoty etc. You have tell yourself that it is just a game and not personal. It's also a game where the participants gamble on their skill, the price of loosing is getting hurt but hey, that is how gambling is. The other person knows what their getting into, they understand the game. Just tell yourself that you are not trying to hurt someone, you are just playing "the game".

res
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
your missing his point, i know what hes talking about.. hes not afraid to hit someone... just unsure how HARD to hit in sparring...

Yep, that's good advice if what he meant was he was unsure of HOW hard.

RAESAAD
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks RD

Sounds to me like your just not a fighter......You should probably hang em up before you get hurt. But thats just my opinion.....

dchampishere
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks RD
then i think you are very normal person because it is not a natural thing to do BUT it sounds like you should mabey keep you boxing as only a hobbie and not compete at any level because you might get hurt holding back. boxing is fighting, and it sounds like you are too sensitive about the damage you might cause and that does not make a good boxer. the only time i think about the damage i do is when the fight or sparring is over

lilevil
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
There trying to hurt you...thats how i look at it. But i see what you are saying and maybee your just not a aggressive guy and have trouble hitting someone. There's nothing wrong with that.

Onslow.
02-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks RD

Forget all these people sayign quit.

It's not a normal thing, for any kind and rational man to hit someone who they're neither angry or dislike. So you've just gotta try seperate your feelings away from your sparring partner. You're not trying to hurt him, you're scoring a point. Don't try and make yourself angry.

TheTruthIs
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Fairly normal response to sparring, imo.

Not sure how long you have boxed or sparred for, but if ones primary goal in sparring is to hurt the person across from them...they are probably a dick. The fact it concerns you shows you likely aren't mean-spirited and would be a cool guy in the gym.

Now that is great, but you also must test yourself and your partners. There is no reason for you to not show your best, and if you feel a person is going hard or your coach wants you to, you give that also. It for sure is going to happen in the ring so best be prepared for it.

Nothing wrong with feeling bad smoking a sparring partner, it happens and you'll get your lumps and marks too. Just try not to hold yourself back too much if you feel it is costing your development.

zelley
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
One doesn't earn any gold medals scoring a one punch knockout in a sparring session.

The primary goal in sparring is to practice moves against different styles
not to be the KO Artist of the gym.

Learn the moves and the hard punching will take care of itself.

In actual competition, if the focus is throwing bombs, the chances are
most smart boxers will avoid the bombs and score points and be able to
counterpunch with some heavy shots.

Banderivets
02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Why are you guys giving this guy a hard time? Hang them up? LMAO

He's just asking how hard one should hit in sparring.

I say hit them with some intent, you are not playing touch.

But you def shouldnt try to knock a guy out in sparring, fight hard, use your power, because your power or lack of is one of your tools, you need to use it and utilize it in a sparring session, just dont try to kill a man or go all out when you open him up for a power shot.

P.S. Not everyone hits as hard as one thinks he can...**** there is nothing worse then actually getting pissed off, loading up and thinking your going to hurt the man and not even fazing him lol

on the other hand your just having a moderate sparring session and you knock a guy down with what you knew wasnt your hardest or even medium punch....anything can happen.

twoohands
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
what a stupid thread, the best part about boxing is hitting your opponent. Maybe boxing isnt for you.

Squabbles94806
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks RD

You sound too nice. Fcuk that. Ya gotta be a soldier in this game. Why have a problem hitting people when they're hitting you too. I'd rather hit than get hit. That's the name of the game.

You want to hurt people. That should be in the front of your mind. Me? I just want to kill someone....legitimately. Don't worry about hurting the other person, just think about defending yourself. Yes i know boxing is a game, a sport, a science etc. But first and foremost it's a fight.

So you can miss me wit all that "I feel bad for the other guy bull*****". Be cool outside of the ring, but inside the ring be an animal.

Onslow.
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
You sound too nice. Fcuk that. Ya gotta be a soldier in this game. Why have a problem hitting people when they're hitting you too. I'd rather hit than get hit. That's the name of the game.

You want to hurt people. That should be in the front of your mind. Me? I just want to kill someone....legitimately. Don't worry about hurting the other person, just think about defending yourself. Yes i know boxing is a game, a sport, a science etc. But first and foremost it's a fight.
So you can miss me wit all that "I feel bad for the other guy bull*****". Be cool outside of the ring, but inside the ring be an animal.

You sound like a fcking idiot.

I don't even hope you die in the ring.

Landon S
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Well arent you one hard mother ****er :lol1::*******:

Just go in there do your best and have fun. Spar different people and find somebody you like sparring (er...hitting in the face) and keep at it.

Trust me your sparring partner is tougher than you think. People at my gym went really easy on me at first (just touching me) until I started sparring the heavyweights in the gym (Im light middle usually). Now its real sparring because they know I can take a shot and theyre not likely to really hurt me unless they go all out.

Squabbles94806
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
You sound like a fcking idiot.

I don't even hope you die in the ring.

Why do i sound like an idiot when i have a militant attitude? Do you even box? I bet you don't. Listen son, i probably live by a different code than you do. So you're outta bounds for that one.

No one gets out of life alive. I'm not saying i want to die, but i'm definitely not afraid of it.

Boxing is a fight. It's either you or him. Why only half ass it when someone's trying to whoop on you? Red line that mutha fcuka. I'd rather fight with 100% and get knocked out than fight 80% and make it through the distance.

Of course i'm a gentleman outside of the ring. But in the ring, ***** ya gotta survive. Why worry about hurting the other guy, when he's trying to hurt you.

See what i'm sayin...so technically based on your response, from my perspective, it sounds like you're a *****.

Cuauhtémoc1520
02-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks RD

I have had students have this problem and that's why as a trainer I usually give them a measure of how hard I want them to go. You should be using 16 oz gloves and head gear so your not really going to hurt anyone unless you are Mike Tyson....so let the opponent of trainer dictate how hard he wants you to go.

Remember though, holding back at times can actually get you hurt so always keep your guard up and don't be scared to lay into someone if that's what it takes. I like my students to go hard in sparring because that's what it's there for. If I wanted to half speed, I would let them hit the mits or the bag, sparring is supposed to be simulated fighting, so go all out.

Rangerkev
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Anyone that is deliberately trying to hurt someone in sparring is not welcome in my gym. Your training partners are your teammates, the point of training and sparring is to improve yourself and help your teammates improve themselves.

Trying to kill someone in a sparring session is useless for both people in the ring. Who is going to learn anything when you are throwing bombs trying to hurt your teammate? As you progress as a fighter there will be certain guys you spar that that will be more intense. You can always learn from sparring, no matter who you are sparring with.

If you are a super heavyweight sparring with a welterweight, work on movement, work on speed and footwork. If you are the welterweight open up a little more on the big guy, they can take it. If you are sparring someone green work on your defense and counter punching.

As far as how much power to use, I'd say push it a little bit with guys you know can take it. Start throwing a stiff jab, and a few harder shots in the round. Ask your trainer about your power and if you should be using more or less when sparring.

Nobody is going to be impressed with your boxing club at the golden gloves if you all show up hurt...

Squabbles94806
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Anyone that is deliberately trying to hurt someone in sparring is not welcome in my gym. Your training partners are your teammates, the point of training and sparring is to improve yourself and help your teammates improve themselves.

Trying to kill someone in a sparring session is useless for both people in the ring. Who is going to learn anything when you are throwing bombs trying to hurt your teammate? As you progress as a fighter there will be certain guys you spar that that will be more intense. You can always learn from sparring, no matter who you are sparring with.

If you are a super heavyweight sparring with a welterweight, work on movement, work on speed and footwork. If you are the welterweight open up a little more on the big guy, they can take it. If you are sparring someone green work on your defense and counter punching.

As far as how much power to use, I'd say push it a little bit with guys you know can take it. Start throwing a stiff jab, and a few harder shots in the round. Ask your trainer about your power and if you should be using more or less when sparring.

Nobody is going to be impressed with your boxing club at the golden gloves if you all show up hurt...

I fully agree. Sparring is one thing, but a real fight is another. All the sparring partners that i work with, i always make sure if they're aiite. I don't want to hurt them deliberately. Especially if i'm forming a bond because we're training comrades. But i have dropped a couple people during sparring sessions. Because of technique. I don't feel good hurting my sparring partners, but i do feel good if a execute a good technique. I spar with +200 lbs sometimes as well, and i'm only 152 lbs.

I'm a gentleman of course, but just cus you have honor and integrity and respect doesn't mean you can't have that killer instinct.

Maybe it's anger? Who knows? Who fcukin cares. I don't.

LetsgetSAVAGE
02-10-2009, 01:53 PM
^^ Tbh I agree with this guy. I am a relentless fighter, I am scared to spar, But that doesnt mean give up. It just makes me want to train harder and go the distance.

Squabbles94806
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
^^ Tbh I agree with this guy. I am a relentless fighter, I am scared to spar, But that doesnt mean give up. It just makes me want to train harder and go the distance.

Word. Don't be scared though. Think of it this way. Your opponent is just as scared as you. But don't act like you're "not scared". Act like you don't know the definition of the word scared.

Fear no man. He breathes the same air as you. He bleeds just like you do. He's a man just like you. Why be afraid of him.

Nervous is okay, but not scared.

Ramamaiden
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I kind of have the same problem, so i apply what somone said. I go at the intenisty my partner goes.
I have never competed yet, but i would love to do it at least once so i can go with all i have and not feeling sorry and stopping for the other guy if i connect a good punch. Well, the other way around is also possible, :P

sweet*science
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Truthfully, I have that problem now when I spar against the regulars in the gym. Its easier for me to go hard on someone who I dont know versus one of the regulars in the gym, a guy I have grown to be friends with. At the same time if neither one of you go hard you wont get ne better, neither of you. Good luck.

Landon S
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess I sorta agree with squabbles. You should go hard but as long as your not trying to be a KO artist all the time then thats great. But if you do see an opportunity to land a great shot, dont pass it up, because you earned that shot. That is how I spar. I'll take the opportunity, however, sometimes if I know the guy can hardly take a body punch (for example) then I might take a little steam off it but I throw it like its hard (if that makes any sense). However if you always run in there being a spaz I dont see how that benifits anybody.

j
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
i completely understand and sympathize with you.

i have had this problem. i can impale someone on my fist, but controlling the "ouput" requires more skill.

i have "tapped" severel of my friends before, and now they are more likely to flinch then to put up a decet challenge. it really can be a tough place to be in. for me, it is not so much how hard i try to hit, but just light hits feel heavy to others i have been told over and over.

i remember lightly giving my friend, who is much larger and weighs 50+ pounds more than me. and he is fighter, not shy of physical contact. so, i tapped, and he popped me back on my leg as we were sitting. i asked, why u try to hit so hard? he said, what is light for you is heavy on me.

it is moments like that where you know what u have been doing has been working. i am just a small guy compared to him, but my method of hitting is more developed and i suppose a light knuckle tap feels like being tapped by a heavy sledgehammer hammer. or so i was told.

i suppose it sort of shocked me almost as i didnt think there would be so much of a difference at the time considering he is an athletic guy taller, wider, and larger than me.

so, i still stay carefull as to how hard i smash someone in sparring or even just two person sets.

on the other end, i have been "tapped" by my superiors and have felt what i can imagine i have done, not on purpose, to others.

so, i agree with other peeps here. just try to aspproximate their intenseness, and power. and, if u happen to have developed good power or heavy hands, be careful!

Juof
02-12-2009, 10:41 AM
dont listen to these ass holes about quitting do what u feel is good sparring ur not ment to hurt your opponent its just practice for the real thing i like to hold back in sparring to practice defence and counters but u dont have to hit them hard unless ur gym is full of idiots who try to ko u then just tryin hurting them

Squabbles94806
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I guess I sorta agree with squabbles. You should go hard but as long as your not trying to be a KO artist all the time then thats great. But if you do see an opportunity to land a great shot, dont pass it up, because you earned that shot. That is how I spar. I'll take the opportunity, however, sometimes if I know the guy can hardly take a body punch (for example) then I might take a little steam off it but I throw it like its hard (if that makes any sense). However if you always run in there being a spaz I dont see how that benifits anybody.

Plus the intention of punches. As fighters we can tell that. Since hitting and being hit is part of the game, it's all business. You can almost tell when someone hits you and means to hurt you. At least i can tell. But if you keep your technique clean and crisp it's all gravy.

Last night i had a guy on the ropes and i kept him there for about 13 seconds. Str8 banging to the body and throwin all types of sets. After it was all said and done everything's cool.

I also have this theory. You form a bond between your training comrades if you push each other. How do you expect to perform with such intensity on the stage if you don't practice with intensity. If someone hits you, by all means hit them back.

It's not personal, it's business.

potatoes
02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks RD

Unless you are a natural puncher chances are you won't hurt anybody unless you make a concerted effort to hurt them. If the man in front of you is too easy to hit, find another sparring partner.

BrooklynBomber
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I used to have that when I was just starting, it was actually my biggest problem, I was not afraid to get hit, but was afraid to hurt my opponent. It went away after a couple of weeks.

Squabbles94806
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Ever since i was a kid i've always enjoyed hitting things and people. I don't know why. I never had a problem with getting hit or hitting. I guess it's just something i've grown accustomed to.

j
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
i hear ya. i have no fear of hitting myself. it is when i hit someone and i feel and hear it take all their air out of their lungs, i am just not the kind of guy that will go in for the kill afterwards. just like to let em know i can lol. obviously, im talking about sparring. getting someone ready for a tourney fight(s) is a bit more intense more frequently.

I used to have that when I was just starting, it was actually my biggest problem, I was not afraid to get hit, but was afraid to hurt my opponent. It went away after a couple of weeks.

jowiesicario
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM

like he said....

if he wanna kill u kill him,thats what i do!!

if he is a big guy there u go go for a good sparing trow all u got! this is ur time to train with biggers guy than u..defence and do what u can do

Squabbles94806
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM

like he said....

if he wanna kill u kill him,thats what i do!!

if he is a big guy there u go go for a good sparing trow all u got! this is ur time to train with biggers guy than u..defence and do what u can do

I don't think it depends on how hard you hit, but rather the technique you execute. Ya know? Most of the times when i spar with my partners, i work on specific things rather than try and duke it out. If i stick them with a solid shot, then i'll nod my head to check if they're aiite.

The point of sparring is to push yourself and your partners at the same time. Usually i tell them, let's push and then work. So a few rounds we'll go hard and fight, but when we start getting tired then we'll just work. Does that make sense?

GAMILARAAY
02-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I know what you mean, it basically depends on the level of your sparring partner and if he can take it and trade blows, but remember if your sparring partner is not at your level your better off doing situational sparring and working on things then rather beating the **** out of the guy.

At the end of the day its better to be ruthless and have no sympathy for your opponent at all.

Detroit Detroyr
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I think this is a great thread for boxers just starting in the sport and just entering the ring to start to spar. You shouldn't quit at all. Whoever said you should quit should get kicked off this site. I too found the same problem with myself when I started to spar. I am not a mean spirited person and have built a lot of friendships with those I spar with. It took me a while (and I'm still learning to gauge my power) before I felt comfortable throwing punches.It helped to get hit a few times so I knew how hard they were going to be throwing then I could adjust from there.

But you should never get into the ring to spar to knock someone out. That's not the point. The point is to work on parts of your technique. The same goes for your opponent. I still struggle with this at times but am confident that this is an issue that will be resolved within time.

:boxing:

j
03-12-2009, 06:27 PM
squabbles, i understand exactly what u are saying when u mention that u can feel the intention.

did u know, that there are exclusive training methods to "listen" to people?

it is very old, and has a thousand years of knowledge. but, i can tell u know some fighting as u said that.

and bro, i do the same many times - i mean working on a specific type of force.

it is no coincidense that we can know these same things from different training methods.

keep up ur good work bro.

RJTikwe
03-13-2009, 02:17 AM
think of it this way.. u wouldnt want ur sparring partner to hold back on you would yah? u want him to catch u on the side of the ribs with a decent body shot so next time u'll be afraid of it and retract ur arm quicker after punching.. u want him to throw jabs fast enough for u to learn how to time ur slips and get faster with them while keeping ur balance.. but yeh dont knock em out though :D

j
03-13-2009, 02:24 AM
think of it this way.. u wouldnt want ur sparring partner to hold back on you would yah? u want him to catch u on the side of the ribs with a decent body shot so next time u'll be afraid of it and retract ur arm quicker after punching.. u want him to throw jabs fast enough for u to learn how to time ur slips and get faster with them while keeping ur balance.. but yeh dont knock em out though :D

yeah. ur right. but u also dont want to be injured during training. training is supposed to make u stronger, not weaker.

what a fluffin conundrum, hey?

mannypac22
03-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks RD

Its true if u dont have a killer instinct and r afraid of hitting people u should not be boxing but ill make an exception and help u out this 1 time.

snap ur puches back as fast as u can u wont hurt them ull look fast and good.

they shouldnt even have to hurt pull em back as fast as u can.

besides people dont care if u touch em up in sparrin u said urself ur worried bout hurtin them they dont mind as long as u dont load up completely just hit them with ur normal fast sharp punches and thats enough power.

People dont care mate if u touch them up its how they learn