View Full Version : Getting Old!

Trrmo
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
On Friday I will get an unofficial bout when another club visits, I can´t really fight amateur anymore (I´m 36) so its really a glorified sparring session but they seem to take them seriously here in Ecuador. Only national or regional titles are officially sanctioned. I had my first fight in 1984 so have just realised it will be a 25 year gap since my first fight! hopefully I wont get my ass kicked by some talented kid lol. Well if all goes ok will consider trying to get a couple of pro fights before I get arthritis or something.Bloody hell getting old!

as an aside, when I had my first couple of fights in 1984 in South Australia headguards weren´t yet compulsory for amateur so I didnt wear one. I remember the frustration of some boxers having to wear them for the first time competing (we used them only for sparring).

Richie-G
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Good luck then :boxing:

dchampishere
02-03-2009, 03:16 PM
good luck my friend

estbn
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
On Friday I will get an unofficial bout when another club visits, I can´t really fight amateur anymore (I´m 36) so its really a glorified sparring session but they seem to take them seriously here in Ecuador. Only national or regional titles are officially sanctioned. I had my first fight in 1984 so have just realised it will be a 25 year gap since my first fight! hopefully I wont get my ass kicked by some talented kid lol. Well if all goes ok will consider trying to get a couple of pro fights before I get arthritis or something.Bloody hell getting old!

as an aside, when I had my first couple of fights in 1984 in South Australia headguards weren´t yet compulsory for amateur so I didnt wear one. I remember the frustration of some boxers having to wear them for the first time competing (we used them only for sparring).

36, pues ni tan viejo!! aunque si para empezar (ya se que tuviste una pelea hace mucho tiempo). Bueno, te deseo suerte hermano.. en Ecuador he visto varios peleadores amateur talentosos.

Trrmo
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Good luck then :boxing:

good luck my friend

Thanks alot!

Landon S
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
HA HA, your old! just kidding

I though you had a fight (sometime last year) and you posted pics of yourself all scuffed up, or was that just from sparring?

Kick some ass!

Trrmo
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Nah had 2 fights in 2001 and 16 fights 1984-1990 approx.

Trrmo
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
36, pues ni tan viejo!! aunque si para empezar (ya se que tuviste una pelea hace mucho tiempo). Bueno, te deseo suerte hermano.. en Ecuador he visto varios peleadores amateur talentosos.

Gracias, y si hay algunas buenos boxeadores. Tenemos una systema similar de los Cubanos, algunos entrenan todos los dias y reciben gratis hospedaje, son fuertes, pero lamentable no hay mucho apoyo para el resto ni competencias reales, saludos

lilevil
02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
i love how you guys are speaking spanish, lol. I've ony had 2 trimesters of spanish class so i'm not even going to try, good luck man. :boxing:

cotto16
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Good luck bro you have had the balls to chase your dream dont give up age is only a number! good luck dude

Del Coqui
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Use your age to your advantage, experience, set him up, your fight! buena suerte!

Equilibrium
02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Good luck man!

Edward Hitler
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
im 25 and ive only had one fight with one win (100% undefeated record hahaha) not pro unfortunatly but hopefully one day i no the clocks ticking but like these guys say age is a number plenty of fighters go well into there 40s and win and i say good luck to you to i wish you all the luck in the world as do i to anyman with the balls to chase his dreams

TheTruthIs
02-05-2009, 10:07 PM
That's awesome. Good luck!

Pork Chop
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Good luck man.
I'm 32 this year and kinda know where you're coming from.
Having a baby in May, so this is kinda my last shot until I can hit the over-35 masters division.
Have an unofficial bout in March and an official tourney in July.
My try to sneak in a boxing match or two before year's end (preferably Golden Gloves).

Let us know how it goes!

Trrmo
02-06-2009, 07:49 PM
well first of all thanks for the kind comments. I ended up fighting with the representative of the province, like the state champ I guess. They train under a system similiar to Cuba and receive free food and accomodation and basically just train and thats it. It was more like an exhibition or hard sparring session, but my opponent definitely wanted to put the gringo in his place. I did okay but definitely room to improve, basically not accustomed to it being the first time in 8 years! Since I started training again I have only sparred about 6 times but with inexperienced boxers at my gym, so this was really a step up. I took some hard knocks but stayed on my feet, no 8 count or anything.

I am not as fit as I thought I was. If it was scored I would have lost but I managed to land some good clean punches and counters. I also held back a little as well because I wasn´t sure of my (or my opponents) ability. It wasn´t on video but I think I basically just need to spar with this guy or others from the selection more and I will be able to give as good as I take. The main thing I need to do is get a better feel for timing and distance. I was a little dissappointed I allowed more punches to connect than I should have but I probably shouldn't feel too bad considering the time I have had away from boxing and the quality of my opponent. Next time I will get it filmed to get a better perspective and post it here for feedback. I Have a few marks on my face and bruises, a little blood from the nose but hey thats boxing, I just got reminded that punches hurt!:boxing:

estbn
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
well first of all thanks for the kind comments. I ended up fighting with the representative of the province, like the state champ I guess. They train under a system similiar to Cuba and receive free food and accomodation and basically just train and thats it. It was more like an exhibition or hard sparring session, but my opponent definitely wanted to put the gringo in his place. I did okay but definitely room to improve, basically not accustomed to it being the first time in 8 years! Since I started training again I have only sparred about 6 times but with inexperienced boxers at my gym, so this was really a step up. I took some hard knocks but stayed on my feet, no 8 count or anything.

I am not as fit as I thought I was. If it was scored I would have lost but I managed to land some good clean punches and counters. I also held back a little as well because I wasn´t sure of my (or my opponents) ability. It wasn´t on video but I think I basically just need to spar with this guy or others from the selection more and I will be able to give as good as I take. The main thing I need to do is get a better feel for timing and distance. I was a little dissappointed I allowed more punches to connect than I should have but I probably shouldn't feel too bad considering the time I have had away from boxing and the quality of my opponent. Next time I will get it filmed to get a better perspective and post it here for feedback. I Have a few marks on my face and bruises, a little blood from the nose but hey thats boxing, I just got reminded that punches hurt!:boxing:

Bueno gracias por compartir tu experiencia aqui. Felicidades hermano y no creo que esto te deberia decepcionar y mucho menos bajar el animo, hace OCHO años!!! es demasiado. Aunque no vi el video pienso que debes ser mejor que eso, simplemente que tanta inactividad afecta mucho a cualquiera.

Espero que te vaya mucho mejor en la proxima.

"but my opponent definitely wanted to put the gringo in his place."

No entendi muy bien eso, eres un gringo viviendo en Ecuador??

Trrmo
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Bueno gracias por compartir tu experiencia aqui. Felicidades hermano y no creo que esto te deberia decepcionar y mucho menos bajar el animo, hace OCHO años!!! es demasiado. Aunque no vi el video pienso que debes ser mejor que eso, simplemente que tanta inactividad afecta mucho a cualquiera.

Espero que te vaya mucho mejor en la proxima.

"but my opponent definitely wanted to put the gringo in his place."

No entendi muy bien eso, eres un gringo viviendo en Ecuador??

Gracias amigo, soy Australiano pero yo he vivido aqui en Ecuador hace casi 4 años. Tengo novia Ecuatoriana y soy dueño de un hostal tambien. No mi gusta esta palabra "gringo" pero sabes que todo los extraños son considerados gringos. Para mi gringo es una persona de EEUU. Si, necisito subir el animo un poco pero voy a continuar peleando. De donde eres tu?

estbn
02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Gracias amigo, soy Australiano pero yo he vivido aqui en Ecuador hace casi 4 años. Tengo novia Ecuatoriana y soy dueño de un hostal tambien. No mi gusta esta palabra "gringo" pero sabes que todo los extraños son considerados gringos. Para mi gringo es una persona de EEUU. Si, necisito subir el animo un poco pero voy a continuar peleando. De donde eres tu?

Australiano en Ecuador, jejeje que interesante!! Soy de Mexico, y aqui solo les decimos "gringos" a los estadounidenses.

Bueno, adelante Trrmo y suerte para la proxima.