View Full Version : Anyone weight lift?

KILLA RIGHT
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
So i've been weight lifting for 9 months and also started boxing a month ago. Any of u guys weight lift? By the way check this out, this product seems like it's legit and i'm looking forward to trying this out any of u guys believe in this? I saw this on the muscle and fitness with Wlad on the cover

IntraVol http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436906&cp=&kw=intravol&origkw=intravol&sr=1

Test Subjects Gained 127% More Lean Muscle than Placebo When Consumed While Training*
Drastically Amplifies Anabolic Training Response*
Immediately Lowers Training-Induced Cortisol*
Key Complex Proven to Rapidly Increase Type I & II Muscle Fiber Size*
Forces Glycogen Reloading & Hyper-Hydrates Cells While Increasing Strength by 39%*
Experience the IntraVol Effect:
Builds More Muscle During Your Workouts*
Increases Strength & Pumps*
Enhances Performance & Accelerates Recovery*

MissDeeCole
01-29-2009, 10:48 PM
those muscle fitness magazines are so gross its scary, why would anyone want to look like that?

AztecWanker
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
those muscle fitness magazines are so gross its scary, why would anyone want to look like that?

they have legitimate information about weight training, supplements, cardio, and nutrition. just cause someone reads them doesn't mean they are automatically a bodybuilder.

KILLA RIGHT
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Word alot of them bastards are just to damn big no women wants a dude that big. But then again alot of them guys get alot of deals of them supplements contracts. I'm not that big or trying to be

KiengKoopa
01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Those magazines are nothing but a big source of advertisements. Especially with muscletech, I highly doubt using that "Intravol" will increase your strength by 129%. It could work or it could be placebo, the market is trying to put a price tag on hard work and training. Hell, you can be a billionaire and buy all the supplements or whatever you want to "assist" you in getting better, but all the money in the world aint gonna make you a better fighter.

Equilibrium
01-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I do weight training, but only once a week. I lift heavy but don't do too many reps, that way i gain strength without putting on too much muscle. Cause honestly i don't want to get too heavy or muscle bound. I'm 6'4 and about 230-240 pounds, if i lifted too much i'd end up weighting 280 or something.

The rest of the week i focus on boxing, but i still do body weight exercises every day and plyometrics twice a week.

Honestly, just eat well, lots of fruits and lots of proteins. You can even take protein shakes if you want, but i wouldn't start taking all these products if i was you. Unless you want to be a bodybuilder of course.

KILLA RIGHT
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Those magazines are nothing but a big source of advertisements. Especially with muscletech, I highly doubt using that "Intravol" will increase your strength by 129%. It could work or it could be placebo, the market is trying to put a price tag on hard work and training. Hell, you can be a billionaire and buy all the supplements or whatever you want to "assist" you in getting better, but all the money in the world aint gonna make you a better fighter.
u actually gain 127% more muscle then placebo. I'm 6ft 185 right now i can gain 15 lbs of muscle and be fine. As long as i'm not fat but the boxing will keep me in shape and not fat

Trrmo
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I do weight training, but only once a week. I lift heavy but don't do too many reps, that way i gain strength without putting on too much muscle. Cause honestly i don't want to get too heavy or muscle bound. I'm 6'4 and about 230-240 pounds, if i lifted too much i'd end up weighting 280 or something.

The rest of the week i focus on boxing, but i still do body weight exercises every day and plyometrics twice a week.

Honestly, just eat well, lots of fruits and lots of proteins. You can even take protein shakes if you want, but i wouldn't start taking all these products if i was you. Unless you want to be a bodybuilder of course.

what he said ^

Wyson
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM

you should do low weights high rep to build strength and endurance......high weights low rep as you are doing just puts on muscle mass....just saying haha but you do whatever you want

Equilibrium
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
you should do low weights high rep to build strength and endurance......high weights low rep as you are doing just puts on muscle mass....just saying haha but you do whatever you want

Hmm weird, i'm pretty sure it's the other way around. I have been following this training regime for about 2 years and i haven't gained too much mass.

kryo
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Wrong.

Never post again.

Wyson
01-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Wrong.

Never post again.

okay man......

http://www.lacrosseforum.com/lacrosse-instruction-tactics-training/645-low-rep-high-weight-high-rep-low-weight-3.html

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1969771

http://www.trulyhuge.com/high-reps-or-low-reps.html

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/413647

"From what i can remember, low rep/ high weight, actually tears the fibrous muscles so that the tissue scars and causes more tissue to thicken and cause bulk on the muscle itself."

......i can find more if you dont think that high weights and low rep doesnt build mass over strength.....:owned2:

Wyson
01-30-2009, 08:17 PM
haha and do think u''ve been doing it wrong for years....you have my pitty bro

kryo
01-30-2009, 08:53 PM
okay man......

http://www.lacrosseforum.com/lacrosse-instruction-tactics-training/645-low-rep-high-weight-high-rep-low-weight-3.html

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1969771

http://www.trulyhuge.com/high-reps-or-low-reps.html

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/413647

"From what i can remember, low rep/ high weight, actually tears the fibrous muscles so that the tissue scars and causes more tissue to thicken and cause bulk on the muscle itself."

......i can find more if you dont think that high weights and low rep doesnt build mass over strength.....:owned2:

Did you actually read any of those links you posted, or did you just search for them? LOL. Here we go, dolt.

And just so I can put this out here right away; to gain mass, you must eat for mass. If you are constantly cutting weight and watching your diet, I don't give a **** if you follow a perfect body building regime, you will NOT GET BIGGER.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=916542

"Strength doesn't always equate to size (especially if you're not eating for it)."

http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/Training/training29.htm

"When you train with low reps (1 – 5), the adaptations that make you stronger are mostly neurological: You develop an increased ability to recruit more muscle fibers, you stimulate the higher threshold fibers that are not activated with high rep, low weight sets, you decrease neuromuscular inhibition, and there is increased coordination between the muscle groups. However, with low reps, the hypertrophy (size increase) of the muscle fibers is minimal.

In other words, reps under 6 make you stronger, but they don’t necessarily make you bigger because the strength gains come from adaptations in the nervous system – the muscle fibers and other muscle cell structures do not hypertrophy (enlarge)."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081217054853AATrHiA

"You may want to try training with heavier weights, in the lower end of the rep range: 1-6 reps. This will emphasize recruitment of muscle fibers associated with strength. You will likely put on some muscle mass as well -- but you'll primarily be training in the strength range, versus the muscle size range (6-10 reps) or endurance range (10-20 reps.)"

Anyway, I'm done proving this to you. I honestly don't care if you think you are right, just shut the **** up and don't give other people wrong information.

KILLA RIGHT
01-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I've always heard less reps more weight=more mass

Trrmo
01-31-2009, 03:51 AM
What Kyro said is correct

PunchDrunk
01-31-2009, 04:54 AM
Kryo and Trrrmo: Props for speaking sense in here!

PunchDrunk
01-31-2009, 04:57 AM
I've always heard less reps more weight=more mass

You can gain mass on almost any kind of weight/rep scheme, it's more about volume and diet.

To get/be strong, you need to lift heavy ****.

Wyson
01-31-2009, 07:57 AM
your all so f***ing stupid...Killa Right is correct.....and honestly you guys keep going on those high weights...you wont get as strong as you would with low weights...plus, think about it...for boxing, you want muscle endurance....aka low weights high rep

AztecWanker
01-31-2009, 05:04 PM
i always though it was

more weight, less rep - size and strength

less weight, more reps - tone

RenegadeT
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
i gave up waiting on lifts , stick to the stairs its better allround

PunchDrunk
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
your all so f***ing stupid...Killa Right is correct.....and honestly you guys keep going on those high weights...you wont get as strong as you would with low weights...plus, think about it...for boxing, you want muscle endurance....aka low weights high rep

Lol, right. Do you have to be strong to lift something light? Do you have to be strong to lift something heavy? Common sense here buddy, if you have to be strong to lift something, lifting that makes you stronger.

By your logic of light weights making you strong, lifting a piece of paper would make you strong, whereas lifting furniture in and out of a moving truck all day wouldn't. Give us all a ****ing break and grow a brain before you post again!

Trrmo
01-31-2009, 07:10 PM

Whatever weight and rep range you do you will not gain any significant muscle mass if you do not have calorie excess - ie eat more than you burn. So what you originally said high weights low rep as you are doing just puts on muscle mass is only true if you eat to gain muscle and get lots of rest and recovery.

You don't specify your rep range but in general 1-5 reps heavy weight for strength, 5-10 for muscle gain and strength, higher reps for endurance.

The reason to do heavy weights low reps is to develop explosive strength. It has been proven to increase athletic performance. It won´t necessarily cause hypertrophy or muscle weight gain, like I said depends on frequency, nutrition and recovery. If a boxer is maintaining high cardio and not eating to gain weight he won't bulk.

Just doing general boxing workouts will develop muscular endurance by itself - heavy bag work, shadow boxing with very light weights, pushups etc.

I don't know how you can say you wont get as strong as you would with low weights... for powerlifters to get strong they lift heavier and heavier weights, you see lightweight skinny guys that can lift incredible weight, why dont they get huge muscle mass and how do they manage to stay within their weight division? - eating habits and high frequency training!

The links you posted all refer to bodybuilding, and don't prove your point at all.
Anyway no need for anyone to throw around insults here, there is more than one way to skin a cat.