View Full Version : cutting 7 pounds in 8 days...

rufige
01-29-2009, 01:21 AM
i got a fight coming up next weekend and i need to lose 7 pounds. i've never cut weight before, so i don't really know what i should be doing. my coach said i should be eating less carbs and more protein. he also suggested using hydroxycut to help shed a couple of pounds. i was also told by another guy to focus on cutting water weight... he said if i sweat 2 pounds during a workout, drink a pound and a half of water. but i feel a little dehydrated when i do that.

do you guys got any other tips to shed off a few pounds?

thanks

sweet*science
01-29-2009, 01:23 AM
How much cardio are you doing?

MikeBrew328
01-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Don't do it. And don't let yourself be in the position again for it to happen.

rufige
01-29-2009, 01:31 AM
How much cardio are you doing?

i do an hour of boxing during the afternoon and go for a 40 min run at night

ScottDBA
01-29-2009, 02:47 AM
You don't want to be losing water weight a week before the fight. That's a last resort to lose a couple pounds the last day. That should only be done under the close supervision of your coach to make sure you do lose the water weight, and gain it back properly.

I sent you a pm, but I'll ask again here, how old are you and what weight are you fighting at?

Landon S
01-29-2009, 12:06 PM
During fight night you can lose a couple of pounds just by chewing gum and spitting the saliva you build up into a cup. If you dont eat all day until the weigh in (as long as you have 1 or 2 hours before you fight) you will keep a couple of pounds of food out of your body for the weigh in. Those are just a few of the safest ways.

A quick way to rehydrate before a fight after you weigh in is pedialyte. It hydrates you better than water or gatorade and has other nutrients in it.

rufige
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
During fight night you can lose a couple of pounds just by chewing gum and spitting the saliva you build up into a cup. If you dont eat all day until the weigh in (as long as you have 1 or 2 hours before you fight) you will keep a couple of pounds of food out of your body for the weigh in. Those are just a few of the safest ways.

A quick way to rehydrate before a fight after you weigh in is pedialyte. It hydrates you better than water or gatorade and has other nutrients in it.

thanks for the tips

boxasmash
01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
no way will you be able to lose 7 lbs in 8 days, no way.

Onslow.
01-30-2009, 05:59 AM

course he can. You could do it in one day..if you wanted..

you'll box like ****... but you could do it.

P4PKING2008
01-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes you can easily. :damnit1:

Gaby
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I know you can. I've lost 4 lbs. in 2 days. So 7 lbs. in 8 is not out of the question. Watch what you eat but keep hydrated and because it's for a fight add some protein to the mix otherwise you'll feel pretty weak.
:boxing:

rufige
01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes you can easily. :damnit1:

you got any advice that can help me out?

rufige
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I know you can. I've lost 4 lbs. in 2 days. So 7 lbs. in 8 is not out of the question. Watch what you eat but keep hydrated and because it's for a fight add some protein to the mix otherwise you'll feel pretty weak.
:boxing:

so what kind of stuff should i be watching out for when i'm eating. my coach said have a lot of protein, but i don't know what else i should avoid or eat.

Gaby
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Protein is always good because whey protein may aid weight loss due to its effect on appetite but more importantly, provide the body with amino acids.
These, assuming that you have a good training/exercise routine,
are my suggestions as follows, hope it helps:
Avoid saturated fat, you can eat poly fats. Good fat helps with the absorption of vitamins. Itís also a concentrated source of energy. Some examples of good fats are: Flaxseed, walnuts, salmon and tuna. Fiber gives you a feeling of fullness and slows digestion so in between meals fill up on fiber with: fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Don't forget vitamins, especially your B vitamins these participate in different aspects of energy production.
And finally other foods (also rich in B vitamins) to keep in mind are: Beans, eggs, yogurt, almonds, avocados, poultry, broccoli, organ meats (like liver), nuts, and fish. Good luck!

rufige
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Protein is always good because whey protein may aid weight loss due to its effect on appetite but more importantly, provide the body with amino acids.
These, assuming that you have a good training/exercise routine,
are my suggestions as follows, hope it helps:
Avoid saturated fat, you can eat poly fats. Good fat helps with the absorption of vitamins. Itís also a concentrated source of energy. Some examples of good fats are: Flaxseed, walnuts, salmon and tuna. Fiber gives you a feeling of fullness and slows digestion so in between meals fill up on fiber with: fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Don't forget vitamins, especially your B vitamins these participate in different aspects of energy production.
And finally other foods (also rich in B vitamins) to keep in mind are: Beans, eggs, yogurt, almonds, avocados, poultry, broccoli, organ meats (like liver), nuts, and fish. Good luck!

thanks for the big help!

g00dz
01-31-2009, 02:35 AM
Let me begin by saying you are venturing into dangerous territory... a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time

I never really had to cut weight in the past because my weight remained constant when i was always active. I got injured last year and my road work has never been the same, also the weight i put on during my time off made it harder.

I used to weigh in at 130 max, this time i had trouble getting down from 140 for the golden gloves...

The past few weeks ive been doing exactly this and ive kept my weight around 132 pounds:

1) Eat 5-6 meals a day 3-4 hours apart. SMALL meals, (consider an apple and some bread a small meal). Don't eat anything an hour before bed. (I personally suggest an hour and a half or 2, just to make sure you arent storing carbs overnight)

2) Drink tons of water! But im sure you do this anyway.

3) Do a lot of gum chewing/spitting.

4) Carbs before a workout, protein after. Your trainer is right about staying away from carbs, but only to a certain extent. Eat a lot of carbs before a work out, its what gives you your energy. Stay away from carbs afterwards, since you are done expending your energy.

5) Take your daily vitamins.

6) Keep up your road work.

On the day of the fight, if your weight still isnt on point, think about how much more you have. If its more than 3-4 pounds, i wouldnt fight. You can lose those 3-4 pounds by dehydrating yourself and doing some last minute jump rope, but why would you want to put your body in a position to get :spank: ??

rufige
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Let me begin by saying you are venturing into dangerous territory... a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time

I never really had to cut weight in the past because my weight remained constant when i was always active. I got injured last year and my road work has never been the same, also the weight i put on during my time off made it harder.

I used to weigh in at 130 max, this time i had trouble getting down from 140 for the golden gloves...

The past few weeks ive been doing exactly this and ive kept my weight around 132 pounds:

1) Eat 5-6 meals a day 3-4 hours apart. SMALL meals, (consider an apple and some bread a small meal). Don't eat anything an hour before bed. (I personally suggest an hour and a half or 2, just to make sure you arent storing carbs overnight)

4) Carbs before a workout, protein after. Your trainer is right about staying away from carbs, but only to a certain extent. Eat a lot of carbs before a work out, its what gives you your energy. Stay away from carbs afterwards, since you are done expending your energy.

5) Take your daily vitamins.

6) Keep up your road work.

On the day of the fight, if your weight still isnt on point, think about how much more you have. If its more than 3-4 pounds, i wouldnt fight. You can lose those 3-4 pounds by dehydrating yourself and doing some last minute jump rope, but why would you want to put your body in a position to get :spank: ??

ye this is definitely a big lesson for me. i haven't had the proper guidance for losing weight, but this helps me out big time. thanks a lot man

ScottDBA
01-31-2009, 11:57 AM

These two things are redundant.

Chewing gum and spitting is something you would do just before the weigh-in if you still have to lose a last pound or two and have to do it by losing water weight. More water spit out = less water you have to sweat out. The only thing it would be good for is the chewing of the gum will burn a couple extra calories.

There's no point doing it now, when you are drinking and eating regularly.

How much progress have you made rufige?

rj_ct
01-31-2009, 12:12 PM
honestly, and i know this isn't what some people on here want to hear, but cutting 7 pounds in water weight isn't that much. i've cut more than that before and i wasn't weak at all. usually i have to lose about 4 - 6 pounds in water before weigh in. i'm not saying everyone should do this, but a few days of jogging and shadow boxing in a sauna suit and you'll be able to taper down to weight. you don't have to lose it all in one day.

is this for the golden gloves? in our region there's a two pound weight allowance for the first round. if it's for a local show they'll match you up with someone around your weight anyway, so i wouldn't worry about cutting too much.

ScottDBA
01-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Also, a couple days before start taking something like Metamucil or Psyllium husks to clean out your intestines/colon. DO NOT TAKE X-LAX, you don't want explosive uncontrollable ****s lol.

Metamucil and plain psyllium husks (which is the main ingredient in metamucil) is an indigestible fibre that grows alot when it absorbs water. You have to make sure to drink a lot of water when taking it. It (GENTLY!) scrapes the crap off the walls of your intestines/colon while it's working it's way through your body.

Sounds nasty, but you should be able to lose atleast a pound, maybe more. Good thing is that it's all waste that your body doesn't need so it won't dehydrate you like X-lax can.

Get the coarse grain metamucil, it's supposed to be the best for maximum scrapage lol.

g00dz
01-31-2009, 04:25 PM

Chewing gum and spitting is something you would do just before the weigh-in if you still have to lose a last pound or two and have to do it by losing water weight. More water spit out = less water you have to sweat out. The only thing it would be good for is the chewing of the gum will burn a couple extra calories.

Disect my post, only to prove my point in the same paragraph XD

the330ballers
01-31-2009, 10:19 PM

sorry but different peoples bodies are different.

the carb thing for me worked ridiculously when i was in high school. Id easily cut that 7lbs in 8 days if I stayed away from carbs. I'm really unsure how that will affect your performance though.

With your carbs there is a number of carbs on the info and then there is a number of fiber. Total carbs-fiber and if it is still low then you are good. I was using these tortillas that were "carb balance" that I was eating with everything because I have some odd obsession with eating some sort of bread with everything.

rufige
02-01-2009, 12:22 PM

i already dropped 2 pounds since thursday, but it's mostly water weight. i'm gonna follow g00dz's and Gaby's advice, so hopefully by friday i can make weight properly without being too dehydrated.