View Full Version : Colleges for boxing?

pigdestroyer
01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
How do you become a boxer in college boxing roster?

This is one in my state, that I didn't even know I had.

http://students.washington.edu/boxing/index.php?PHPSESSID=7bffbe49c595b25a14b9b9850b681c 47&action=roster

Never mind, I clearly didn't read far enough into this website. It's still cool that you can be a boxer for a COLLEGE.

Would it ever be worth it?

Danny Gunz
01-20-2009, 12:44 AM
i had the same problem a while ago but it turns out their are a lot of colleges around who have boxing teams

nice av to man

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 12:50 AM
USF University San Francisco got a boxing program. They're all weak though.
Think about it, how can a boxer excel in boxing when they got to study all freakin day. Then again, they can do it for recreational purposes. That's not my style though. With the exception of school, if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Egg-heads boxing? Sheesh...maybe they should protect their brain instead and enjoy the confinement of their safe little academic world.

From what i'm observed, college kids and boxing don't mix.

But hey, if a college kid wants to box, more power to them.

rmz
01-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Squabbles, I got respect for you bro, but that's silly. Most boxing gyms are set up to get kids interested in boxing and SCHOOL. My coaches always advocate working hard in both departments and so do most coaches in any sport. Who says you can't be smart and be a boxer? Juan Diaz is a college student and a boxer and he's damn good. College kids can make good boxers because they know how to work hard. I am a boxer and a college student and let me tell you, I find working hard in school a lot harder than working out in the gym. I love boxing, but I know that college is very important for my future. Saying college and boxing don't mix is a joke statement. You have to be a well rounded individual. If boxing doesn't work out, what are you going to do?

kryo
01-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Think about it, how can a boxer excel in boxing when they got to study all freakin day. Then again, they can do it for recreational purposes. That's not my style though. With the exception of school, if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Egg-heads boxing? Sheesh...maybe they should protect their brain instead and enjoy the confinement of their safe little academic world.

In your signature, you have one of the best quotes I have ever read. "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Do you realize the extent of your OWN ignorance?

Dumb ******, poppin off at the mouth about **** he doesn't even understand.

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
In your signature, you have one of the best quotes I have ever read. "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Right...you must be a college kid.

Do you even know what USF is?

Stay in school kid and stay out of the ring.

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Squabbles, I got respect for you bro, but that's silly. Most boxing gyms are set up to get kids interested in boxing and SCHOOL. My coaches always advocate working hard in both departments and so do most coaches in any sport. Who says you can't be smart and be a boxer? Juan Diaz is a college student and a boxer and he's damn good. College kids can make good boxers because they know how to work hard. I am a boxer and a college student and let me tell you, I find working hard in school a lot harder than working out in the gym. I love boxing, but I know that college is very important for my future. Saying college and boxing don't mix is a joke statement. You have to be a well rounded individual. If boxing doesn't work out, what are you going to do?

I hear ya...but two things that i've ever known...school and training. I don't fcukin even like school. I'm at State, and i still don't consider it college.

What i'm sayin is that excelling in college and excelling in boxing are two entities that requires an enormous amount of dedication and super hard work. College kids? I just don't see it.

Sure they got programs to introduce the sport and all that, but from what i've seen it's hard for me to take college kids seriously when it comes to training. You can play baseball. You can play football. You can play basketball. You don't play boxing.

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Wussup kid? So riddle me this: in a show featuring USF college boxers vs. kids from other schools; why is it that all the USF kids got scrapped? 9 out of 11 lost, and lost bad. It's probably because they're so smart. The 2 that did win didn't even go to USF.

Stay in school kid where it's safe. Spend your parents' money. Go to keggers and chase trim. It's a cold world, i'd hate to see you get eaten up out there.

Danny Gunz
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

it really has nothing to do with being in school... if you want to be a boxer and your in college it shouldnt be hard to find 2 hours a day to put towards boxing.

if guys can do that its not cause they are in college they just arent really into boxing.

But to say that college and boxing cant coexist is just ridiculous

kryo
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Wussup kid? So riddle me this: in a show featuring USF college boxers vs. kids from other schools; why is it that all the USF kids got scrapped? 9 out of 11 lost, and lost bad. It's probably because they're so smart. The 2 that did win didn't even go to USF.

Stay in school kid where it's safe. Spend your parents' money. Go to keggers and chase trim. It's a cold world, i'd hate to see you get eaten up out there.

LOL. I've been boxing for over four years now, started in high school. I don't even know what the **** your trying to prove here. Are you saying that school-run boxing programs are flops? If that's the case, then sure, USF might blow. Unfortunately, I don't train, nor have I ever trained, at a collegiate boxing program. Does it make you mad to know that other people have learned how to balance there life and create the most out of both worlds?

Sorry, I must have overlooked the "must not give a **** about education" rule when I signed up to "play boxing".

Edit: It brings warmth to my heart knowing that at 26 years old, you will never amount to anything inside the ring. Should have went to college, brah.

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Woaw woaw...take it easy college kids!!

You egg heads are mis-interpreting what i'm trying to convey. I'm not sayin it can't be done or even co-exist, all i'm sayin is that it takes a fcuk load of time, effort, dedication, hard work, yadda yadda in either categories (school or boxing) and something's gotta give if you wish to excel extremely well in either.

Aiite, here...you know all those Ivy League schools? Harvard, M.I.T., Yale, Princeton etc. etc. what are their football teams like? Do their football teams have a high percentage rate of making it to the NFL? Not really, namely because of the fact that it's an Ivy League school which focuses more on academics, not athletics.

I'm not saying that colleges shouldn't have boxing programs. In fact, i'm for it. All i'm sayin is that how can you persue a PhD AND become champion of the world at the same time? It all depends on the ambition of an individual.

So to some respect, i'm agreeing with you all. But since you're all so determined to prove a point for no reason whatsoever, i can't help you with that. I'm just tellin ya'll how it is.

It's apparent that a good majority of you are in school or college and i've struck a nerve...but what do i know right?

And to the little piss ant kids out there who's still sucking on their mother's teet and know nuttin about the world...i will ***** hundreds on you and eat you up for breakfast. Trust me kid(s) i'm waaaay ahead of the game. I'm just waitin for ya'll to catch up. College fixes everything right? LAFF...

But to the intellegent ones out there who actually have a grip on the world, i tip my hat to you, mad props and mad respects.

In the end....those USF kids got mopped up...that's a fact.

kryo
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM

You egg heads are mis-interpreting what i'm trying to convey. I'm not sayin it can't be done or even co-exist, all i'm sayin is that it takes a fcuk load of time, effort, dedication, hard work, yadda yadda in either categories (school or boxing) and something's gotta give if you wish to excel extremely well in either.

Aiite, here...you know all those Ivy League schools? Harvard, M.I.T., Yale, Princeton etc. etc. what are their football teams like? Do their football teams have a high percentage rate of making it to the NFL? Not really, namely because of the fact that it's an Ivy League school which focuses more on academics, not athletics.

I'm not saying that colleges shouldn't have boxing programs. In fact, i'm for it. All i'm sayin is that how can you persue a PhD AND become champion of the world at the same time? It all depends on the ambition of an individual.

So to some respect, i'm agreeing with you all. But since you're all so determined to prove a point for no reason whatsoever, i can't help you with that. I'm just tellin ya'll how it is.

It's apparent that a good majority of you are in school or college and i've struck a nerve...but what do i know right?

And to the little piss ant kids out there who's still sucking on their mother's teet and know nuttin about the world...i will ***** hundreds on you and eat you up for breakfast. Trust me kid(s) i'm waaaay ahead of the game. I'm just waitin for ya'll to catch up. College fixes everything right? LAFF...

But to the intellegent ones out there who actually have a grip on the world, i tip my hat to you, mad props and mad respects.

I stopped reading after "egg heads". 26 years old and you talk like you're 8. You can't structure a sentence for **** and you suck at spelling.

On another note, I see you're still raging that I have time to wake up, do road work, go to class, do homework, jerk off for 4 hours, go to the gym, come back and jerk off for 4 more hours, and then sleep. "LoLuMaD" that I have enough spare time to do anything I want?

I laugh at your attempts to belittle education.

Merry Christmas, dolt, now you can learn how to spell "LAFF".

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L11048286.jpg

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I stopped reading after "egg heads". 26 years old and you talk like you're 8. You can't structure a sentence for **** and you suck at spelling.

On another note, I see you're still raging that I have time to wake up, do road work, go to class, do homework, jerk off for 4 hours, go to the gym, come back and jerk off for 4 more hours, and then sleep. "LoLuMaD" that I have enough spare time to do anything I want?

I laugh at your attempts to belittle education.

Merry Christmas, dolt, now you can learn how to spell "LAFF".

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L11048286.jpg

Yawn...yawn...thanks for the tip kid.

Squabbles94806
01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
YAWN....

stay in school kids....stay in school...

lilevil
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
You can get a scholarship at Northern Michigan University. They got one of the best porgrams in the country.

jDiamondL
01-20-2009, 10:46 PM

You egg heads are mis-interpreting what i'm trying to convey.

All i'm sayin is that how can you persue a PhD AND become champion of the world at the same time?

You sound real ignorant man. First of all, why end your post with that stupid ass line. No one gives a **** about "those USF kids".

..and Wladimir Klitschko is the heavy weight champion of the world with a PhD in sports science.

Squabbles94806
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Okay....

I apologize if i've offended anyone going to school and training at the same time. I don't mean to sound like a put down. After all, i'm in the same boat. I'm at State and i'm boxing and karate and i work and i have a social life. My intention is not to put people down. After all, i'm doing what you're doing.

A lot of it has to do with my background. If you knew my family then you'd understand. I come from a highly educated family. Everyone's got a B.A. two PhD's in the family, MBA you name it. My father majored in chemistry of all things. Me being the fighter of the family doesn't really sit well with them. It never has. I was raised that education and school is the answer to everything....everything.

I'm really into education, knowledge, wisdom blah blah blah. I just do things my way. I don't like the idea of following a typical blueprint of how people think life should be lived.

Not to mention, i recently discovered that the Klitchkos' both have a PhD. That actually motivates me to go to school and box even more. If they can do it, i can do it. And if i can do it, you can do it.

I apologize again if i pushed any buttons. I'm good at that.

Look, ima be str8 with ya'll. I can fight and i'm hella smart. I just do things my way.

Truce?