View Full Version : Roadwork, Skipping etc for better legs

Browne
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I think Bertos got some real powerful legs, what sorta workout/routine would i need to get mine as powerful as his?

i already run like 2wice a week but my legs still feel weaker than my upper body.

boxingsmash69
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I think Bertos got some real powerful legs, what sorta workout/routine would i need to get mine as powerful as his?

i already run like 2wice a week but my legs still feel weaker than my upper body.

twice a week? you better be running at least 12 miles a day during those 2 days a week!

how much do you run on those 2 days?

sprints and fast paced jump roping are the keys to building up yours legs, especially your stamina

Landon S
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
twice a week isnt much and it wont build "powerful legs" if you want power you have to do things that require power not endurance. Squats, deadlifts, jump squats, long jumps, depth jumps, sprints, sprints up a hill, intervals, etc.

sweet*science
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Id definitely say squats and kick it up with the running. I run about 4 or 5 times a week. btwn 2 to 6 miles depending on what kind of workout I have going on that day. Any time I dont run or only run two miles or so I skip rope as well to get the stamina right. Only thing I havent incorporated which I have been told is a must is sprints. I just dont do them as often.

Marlin26
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I train 5 days a week and run 5 days a week.

Try, squats, lunges and sprints. Thats what i do to build my legs

JabSandwich
01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
theres a muay thai trick that'll turn ur calves into steel, put a tire (bigger the better) on its side and bouce up and down on it. it sounds kinda fruity but after a few minutes ur legs will BURN. u can shadowbox the same time.

any explosive exercise with lots of starts and stops will help. u can make it even harder with some resistance (running in a pool, get one of those training chutes)

Browne
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
thanks, guess i'll up my roadwork.

btw, for doing squats. should add weights, if so, how much weight should i use?

Landon S
01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
thanks, guess i'll up my roadwork.

btw, for doing squats. should add weights, if so, how much weight should i use?

Depends on you. Start off doing (lower weight) moderately high reps and work your way down to 5 reps a set (heavy weight). Whatever weight you need to hit the reps you want is the weight you need. Having the equivalent of your bodyweight on your back would be a good start.

Del Coqui
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Do you box? box or not, try plyometric exercises, that's the ****

Southpaw16BF
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
There have been some fighters over the years with massive legs/calf, here's a few!
http://www.brickcityboxing.com/media/david_tua3.jpg
http://www.thesportgallery.com/images/marciano-11-4.jpg

Hard to get pictures to see the full leg buy Naseem Hamed, Manny-Pac, Mike Tyson also had really big legs.

mspiegelo
01-21-2009, 03:45 PM
cardio: lsd running, pace running, fartlek training, intervals, repetition running

strength training: Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges, weighted step ups and when you are up to speed....

power training: plyos like jump squats, burpees, jump lunges, box jumps, etc, but there are certain criteria for strength capacity before you should delve into plyos. a lot of boxing gyms don't have the proper knowledge of progression and throw young fighters into plyos before they are ready. for example: one prerequisite for NSCA (National Strength and conditioning Association) is to be able to squat 1.5 times your body weight before attempting unweighted jump squats....

Golden lad
01-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Squats, Burpees, Moutain Climbers, Running, Skipping, Step-Ups. Plenty to go at.