View Full Version : Celtic and Rangers to Premier League

boxasmash
01-09-2009, 11:55 AM
i know its been done to death but seriously, they would eventually become a huge force in the league.

ONLY Manchester united, yes Manchester united sell more shirts in europe than celtic and rangers do. thats crazy. with tv money + extra gate revenue celtic would be earning major chedder, as would rangers.

just think of the potential fixtures

celtic vs liverpool
rangers vs arsenal

i hope it happens in my lifetime although i doubt it will ever happen unless they adopt a british pyramid system.

squealpiggy
01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I think they would be average at best. It's far easier to dominate when your opponents are Queen of the South, Aberdeen and Hearts of Midlothian. Hearts-Hibs is a great fixture though.

Savino
01-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd rather see a slug try and beat Usian Bolt in a 100meter sprint than them religious twats join our league.

Mozza
01-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I think they would be average at best. It's far easier to dominate when your opponents are Queen of the South, Aberdeen and Hearts of Midlothian. Hearts-Hibs is a great fixture though.

With the current squads they may be average however when you take into account the fanbase each Club had coupled with the exponential growth in available finance from playing in the Premiership then they would be a lot better than average.

Onslow.
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Och!! YEE BE TALKIN ****E! Ye know tha within two week, mighty Celtic will be crowned champions of Great Britain and then they'll go kill the ****in' queen. Stupid fuc.kin English cunts yee! Celtic FOREVER ye wee bastars!

Yeah... what he said.

squealpiggy
01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
With the current squads they may be average however when you take into account the fanbase each Club had coupled with the exponential growth in available finance from playing in the Premiership then they would be a lot better than average.

The growth in finance would be relatively minor. Both teams already have an inexplicable worldwide following.

Mozza
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
The growth in finance would be relatively minor. Both teams already have an inexplicable worldwide following.

Relatively minor? We currently receive less than 2M from TV rights, the team that gets relegated receives at least 15 times as much. You then have to take into account the extra finance that would be available from banks in light of this increase plus sponsorship would be higher and the potential for external investment would also be raised.

-Lowkey-
01-11-2009, 07:41 AM
i dont know how you can say they would become a huge force all the other teams they play week in week out are the equivalent to say a dcent english league 2 side like say walsall now how can you come to the conclusion that they would be huge in the prem based off that? and there euro form isnt exactly anything to wright home about

Mozza
01-11-2009, 08:18 AM
i dont know how you can say they would become a huge force all the other teams they play week in week out are the equivalent to say a dcent english league 2 side like say walsall now how can you come to the conclusion that they would be huge in the prem based off that? and there euro form isnt exactly anything to wright home about

Their European form in recent years has actually been quite good given the financial constraints. That aside, I have already explained why people think they could become a force in the Premiership - more money would be made available to them and that coupled with the fact they are among the top five largest supported Clubs in Britain means they have a good chance of success. We know that being a well supported Club is no guarantee of success however it certainly helps.

-Lowkey-
01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Their European form in recent years has actually been quite good given the financial constraints. That aside, I have already explained why people think they could become a force in the Premiership - more money would be made available to them and that coupled with the fact they are among the top five largest supported Clubs in Britain means they have a good chance of success. We know that being a well supported Club is no guarantee of success however it certainly helps.

maybe but i think with the squads they have now theyll do well to stay in the league the first season maybe after that they will consolidate and become a mid table prem side they will never break into the top 4 and have alot of catching upto do with teams like villa if they want the uefa cup spots....

squealpiggy
01-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Relatively minor? We currently receive less than 2M from TV rights, the team that gets relegated receives at least 15 times as much. You then have to take into account the extra finance that would be available from banks in light of this increase plus sponsorship would be higher and the potential for external investment would also be raised.

When you look at the insane following the Old Firm have worldwide their revenue increase from TV would only be a small percentage of their overall income. Celtic especially sell many many shirts in North America, largely because thick plastic paddy yanks think that Celtic are Irish.

They would be entering a premier league in which the rules have completely changed. Teams with humongous merchandise revenue like Manchester United and Liverpool are no longer the financial heavyweights. Money-wise Rangers and Celtic could compete with those sorts of teams. But they couldn't compete with Chelsea or Manchester City and money is no guarantee of success anyway. Arsenal are always successful on a shoestring.

paul750
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
It would certainly be good from a competitive standpoint, but I'm not so sure it would be a good idea overall. I know both clubs have some decent fans who just like to support their team, but there's also a lot of scumbags who jump on the bandwagon just to cause trouble etc. It could possibly cause some trouble and give other unsavory characters a chance to cause mayhem.

It would of course be a huge change going from the two big fish to two mid-table [possibly] fish. They couldn't possibly just start in the top division anyway, they'd surely need to start at conference level which would make them laughing stocks.

Sir Tom Jones
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
mid to lower table for the scots.

scottish football would really go if this happened.

Kid McCoy
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
If Celtic and Rangers want to join the Premier League, they should do what everyone else had to and earn their place in it - join the Ryman League and let them work their way up.

In any case, what principled Celtic fan would want to join the English league anyway?

Mozza
01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
If Celtic and Rangers want to join the Premier League, they should do what everyone else had to and earn their place in it - join the Ryman League and let them work their way up.

In any case, what principled Celtic fan would want to join the English league anyway?

That wouldn't be a problem as there are no principled Celtic fans*.

*Except OASIS_LAD

RichCCFC
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Is it called the English Premier League or the English FA Cup?

No. The second part is due to Cardiff City :D :wank:

Kid McCoy
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Is it called the English Premier League or the English FA Cup?

No. The second part is due to Cardiff City :D :wank:

Yes they are English competitions. When the English league was formed Wales didn't have a league of it's own, so established Welsh teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham were allowed to compete in ours, but they're still under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA. They also compete on the proviso that they cannot take an English club's place in Europe, were they to qualify.

Wales now has its own Premier League, yet all have opted to stay in the English system. Until a few years ago these teams also entered the Welsh FA Cup, but now it's only open to clubs who actually play in the Welsh league. One would be forgiven for thinking that Cardiff and co actually want to be English!

Sir Tom Jones
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes they are English competitions. When the English league was formed Wales didn't have a league of it's own, so established Welsh teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham were allowed to compete in ours, but they're still under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA. They also compete on the proviso that they cannot take an English club's place in Europe, were they to qualify.

Wales now has its own Premier League, yet all have opted to stay in the English system. Until a few years ago these teams also entered the Welsh FA Cup, but now it's only open to clubs who actually play in the Welsh league. One would be forgiven for thinking that Cardiff and co actually want to be English!

actually platini said cardiff would have been in europe if cardiff had beaten pompey in the fa cup final last year.

cardiff like the other welsh teams playing in the english league are there due to being invited by the english.

Kid McCoy
01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
actually platini said cardiff would have been in europe if cardiff had beaten pompey in the fa cup final last year.

cardiff like the other welsh teams playing in the english league are there due to being invited by the english.

As with many things, Platini was sticking his nose in where it wasn't particularly wanted. The established precedent was that Welsh teams could not qualify for Europe through English competitions, just like English teams who competed in the Welsh Cup (such as Hereford who won it a few years ago) couldn't qualify through Welsh competitions.

Pot Noodle
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
A Celtic or a Rangers a few years ago would easily be a force to be reckoned with a few years ago. They're weaker now in my eyes. However I'd still see them easily top 10 challenging for UEFA spots with the current squads, with the money windfall from the Premier League they'd soon be competing for top 4.

Sir Tom Jones
01-13-2009, 08:09 AM
As with many things, Platini was sticking his nose in where it wasn't particularly wanted. The established precedent was that Welsh teams could not qualify for Europe through English competitions, just like English teams who competed in the Welsh Cup (such as Hereford who won it a few years ago) couldn't qualify through Welsh competitions.

i wouldnt say it wasnt wanted.:luvbed:

siablo14
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
No, they are scottish teams let them stay in the SPL, England always sucking the best out of the other UK countries to make England better, same thing is done in cricket, NO THEY ARE SCOTTISH TEAMS LET THEM STAY IN THE SPL.