View Full Version : Eastman sub

barryboy
09-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Late switch for Eastman

Eastman v Elliott, Froch v Hague, BBC One, Fri 24 Sep, 23:35 BST
European middleweight champion Howard Eastman will meet Jerry Elliott over eight rounds on Friday.
The Briton had been set to fight Jorge Sendra, but the Spaniard was ruled out for failing to provide suitable medical evidence that he was fit to box.
"It is highly unfortunate, but in Elliott we have a competitive opponent," said promoter Mick Hennessy.
Super middleweight Carl Froch takes on Damon Hague for the British title on the same Nottingham card.
Victory for Eastman could line him up with a bout against Jermaine Taylor with the prospect of the winner of that contest landing a lucrative showdown with the undisputed champion Bernard Hopkins.
The WBC has informed us that if Taylor pulls out Howard will automatically get to challenge Hopkins
Mick Hennessy
Howard Eastman's promoter
"In Howard you have, in my opinion, the only middleweight in the world who has proved he is capable of beating Hopkins," said Hennessy.
"Eastman v Taylor would be a tremendous showdown between two of the best - a proven triple champion and a US golden boy.
"The only slight doubt I have about this fight happening lies with Taylor as he and his team have yet to take up my offer.
"Either way we have the situation covered because the WBC has informed us that if Taylor pulls out Howard will automatically get to challenge Hopkins."

These cards seem to be falling apart all the time now, you almost expect it.
Eastman v Taylor is a good semi final though i don't see Eastman getting a shot at Hopkins, he wants a huge 20th defence so it looks like Howard will have to wait around even more (he must be 34/35 by now!)

J !
09-24-2004, 09:00 AM
probably no bad think cant see bhop taking it easy on howard!

Howard vs Sturm wqould be interesting cos felix will try and box howard so that would change howards gameplan, it would be him trying to force the pace for a change something he isnt used to.

barryboy
09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
I forgot all about Sturm :o That would be interesting, Eastman didn't look great in the Joppy fight until the last couple of rounds cos' Joppy was always on the move but Sturm isn't a mover like that so it would be a good technical boxing match imo, how do you see Eastman doing with Taylor? I can't really decide because Taylor's opposition hasn't been the best and to be honest Eastman's never really beaten a top guy either but i've always thought he had the potential, that'd probably be another good boxing match.

J !
09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Dunno buddy, I like howard but I just think he is too laid back too inactive and getting too old at 34.

Id like to see him get a shot but I cant see him having the drive seems to me he has settled for european paydays, could be wrong and hope I am......

Taylor is only going to get better, howard at 34 is probably on the slide now (mind you BHop disproves that theory) but I dont get the impression howard lives in the gym like Nard.

barryboy
09-24-2004, 09:27 AM
That's what annoyed me about him particularly in the Joppy fight which i felt he could have won if he'd stepped up the pace & that was 3 years ago now, it does make you wonder about him as he has been going the European route without really going anywhere, he does show flashes of class but just needs to do it on a more regular basis.

J !
09-24-2004, 09:39 AM
i do like howard but he is a strange individual, in fact as nutty as squirell ****, who knows what gores through his mind.

i love his interviews though blokes in a world of his own, but seems a decent honrouable man so maybe mad, but in a nice way.

I agree tho he coudl have been much better with a bit more get up and go.

barryboy
09-24-2004, 09:48 AM
I just saw Wayne McCullogh beat Mike Juarez in 2 rds on his comeback, i hope he doesn't get beat up too badly down the road, this could be a mini Holyfield we have here.

anthetamine
09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
eastman can beat taylor, however, i cant see him ever beating hopkins, infact i doubt he will ever get the chance to fight him, they are both getting to old and eastman has taken the route nearly all british boxers take, he has stuck to domestic/european challenges

its a shame... and as for the comment about if he fought sturm... eastman on his day would lay this average middleweight out on his arse

J !
09-24-2004, 11:54 AM
but has eastman had his day? thats the big q!!!

marvdave
09-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't suppose these fights are on in the states on tv? Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can get my hands on these fights? Maybe a website that I could purchase VHS or download?

thanks

SonnyG8R
09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey Marvdave- Join the NFL pool my man.

It's in the fantasy betting area.

marvdave
09-24-2004, 04:41 PM
on on the way Sonny!

thanks

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I wil ltape it for you, or one of us will and send it to you?
it is on in 5 minutes so hurry up :p (i may get it a litle later being in northern ireland and all)

marvdave
09-24-2004, 07:21 PM
I wil ltape it for you, or one of us will and send it to you?
it is on in 5 minutes so hurry up :p (i may get it a litle later being in northern ireland and all)

I can't believe how cool you guys are. thanks Garrett but Barryboy already is doing it for me. Thanks alot. If there is anything you can't get out there in Ireland, let me know and I'll return the favor.

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 07:24 PM
I can't believe how cool you guys are. thanks Garrett but Barryboy already is doing it for me. Thanks alot. If there is anything you can't get out there in Ireland, let me know and I'll return the favor.
cool :cool: Saves me running around like a headless chicken looking for a blank tape :eek: .
carl Frotch is a good prospect but you will see his hand way too low and he is going to get caught when he steps it up, great chin though :)

marvdave
09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
cool :cool: Saves me running around like a headless chicken looking for a blank tape :eek: .
carl Frotch is a good prospect but you will see his hand way too low and he is going to get caught when he steps it up, great chin though :)
great, I look forward to it. It pisses me off that I can't watch the guys from out there much...it pisses me off more that more of them don't come to the states to fight.

PPV sucks!!

thanks again

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 07:34 PM
frotch Ko 1 damon hague :eek:

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 07:38 PM
It balances out dave we cant see alot of the American fights either :(

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Next up howard eastman
two zombies fighting :rolleyes:

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 08:01 PM
What is up with eastman? he is trying to get a world title shot and he is fighting sooo badly and he looks awful with his pitty pat fighting he sucks and i would not pay to see him :mad:

barryboy
09-24-2004, 08:37 PM
That was quite boring eh? the most consistent action of the whole fight was both men touching gloves(about 45 times)
I agree with you about Froch with the left arm , it will get him caught out one day, though i do like his style & even his ****iness in the ring, it's just when he opens his mouth :rolleyes:

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah it kinda sucked, i look forward to him against tayolr, eastmen is going down

barryboy
09-24-2004, 08:57 PM
I can't make my mind up about that fight, Taylor hasn't really fought anybody & when Eastman did (Joppy) he had the fight there for the taking but just didn't for some reason (though Jay Nady was on his case from the start)Eastman needs to get out of 2nd gear or whatever gear he's in cos' it's not good enough, Elliott is awkward for anybody but Howard could have made it more exciting, probably didn't want to risk the Taylor fight but still.

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 09:08 PM
He is number one in the WBC rankings, he should have sent a message out to the boxing world with that fight, if he ants Hopkins he has to fight like he wants him

barryboy
09-24-2004, 09:16 PM
I think Richie and Steve Bunce were kidding themselves, there's no way do i think Hopkins will take Eastman for his 20th defence,
when Winky Wright beats Mosley again :D he'll probably step up to challenge Hopkins, the way it goes in boxing you never know what might happen though.

Ranger2408
09-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Who was that gu who made his Pro debut, he seemed pretty good?

barryboy
09-25-2004, 07:17 AM
That'd be Darren Barker, he did pretty good as an amateur & Howard Clarke for his first pro opponent is o.k. because he's a known survivor so he'll have learned a few tricks in there, i thought he looked pretty good as well, nice combination puncher to body & head, it'll be interesting to see him develop.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Nice, what did you make of the Carl Frotch fight i thought it was great until he started talking :p.
damon Hague is a tough cookie, i watched his last fight though (the rematch with some guy who he lost on points to first) and that was awful, punch, hold, punch, hold.
I got so mad watching it "DO SOMETHING YOU IDIOT".
I did see that fight where he was viciously KOed and then koed the other guy in the rematch in 2.
I would have said it would have gone on longer, Frotch has serious power that is for sure.

One more Question, the guy "the viper" who was with steve bunce and ritchie, who is he?

barryboy
09-25-2004, 07:34 AM
'The Viper' Bobby Vanzie, he's been a SKY fighter most of his career but it looks as though he's made the move, & i know what Hague fight your talking about, he got floored early then came back to win, exciting stuff, your the same as me, i like Froch until he opens his gob, and while i agree with the things he was saying about Henman etc(boxing being way harder), Henman plays against world class tennis players all the time but Froch doesn't fight world class fighters so he should shut up until he does, imagine if he was ktfo in his first venture into world class :eek: i thought maybe 5 rounds, then Froch would have dealt with Hague but he's obviously a class above this type of opponent, i think he could beat Brian Magee & Robin Reid right now, they looked like crap in their fight together.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Robin reid does not want it anymore, I would say that would be a tough fight for Frotch against a motivated Robin reid.
As for Brian Magee, he is terrible and will get KOed pretty quickly, Frotch has too much power, more than reid i would say.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 07:51 AM
It is funny, you see the American fighters talking themselves up and then you see the British guys doing it :rolleyes:
English guy " I'm the best in the world lad, aiiii I could beat em all"
I hate the english Accent it sounds so bad and they keep saying basically alot :rolleyes:
When you hear an american talk up a fight it sounds cool and you start to believe him.
Nothing beats the american accent.
I just woke up an hour ago and still not making any sense, sorry.:(

barryboy
09-25-2004, 07:53 AM
I don't think Reid is interested anymore, the last time i saw Robin Reid in a motivated mood was against Calzaghe in '99' he hasn't done anything since then except the Ottke fight where he could have won if he hadn't gone quiet in the last 3/4 rounds and Magee hasn't impressed me since VERY early in his career, he's just boring to watch.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 07:57 AM
So how much is it for Sky then? to be able to see the boxing, you have sky pay per view don't you?

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:01 AM
A pay per view is only 11 or 12.99, on the Delahoya/Hopkins bill last week they showed Cotto/Pinto & Margarito/Santos as well as the full undercard to the Hopkins fight so it's good value, as for a SKY subscription, not sure, i've got cable with everything (except the **** :rolleyes: )but you could get a smaller package, they let you choose what package you want (sports & movies etc.)

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't think Reid is interested anymore, the last time i saw Robin Reid in a motivated mood was against Calzaghe in '99' he hasn't done anything since then except the Ottke fight where he could have won if he hadn't gone quiet in the last 3/4 rounds and Magee hasn't impressed me since VERY early in his career, he's just boring to watch.
Howard eastman too, he has not impressed me in any fight i have seen of him.
The guy is a nutbar :eek: I don't know how hennessy puts up with him, I bet they have the classic husband-wife communication, Wife talks husband switches into yes dear mode.

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Yep Eastman's a frustrating guy to watch cos' you know he could be doing a lot better but seems to fight within himself, i don't know what it would take to get the guy going, a WBA title shot sure didn't.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:05 AM
A pay per view is only 11 or 12.99, on the Delahoya/Hopkins bill last week they showed Cotto/Pinto & Margarito/Santos as well as the full undercard to the Hopkins fight so it's good value, as for a SKY subscription, not sure, i've got cable with everything (except the **** :rolleyes: )but you could get a smaller package, they let you choose what package you want (sports & movies etc.)
Wow that is pretty neat, Thing is i am going for my interview to get an American visa this friday, if i do not get that then i will move out and get some sort of sky package :D Prolly take me months to get over the dissapointment though :( waited 10 months for this and will likely have wait another ten months if they say no so i can be with the woman i love.

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:11 AM
DAMN there's a lot on the line for you then eh? good luck to you man, i'd love to go to the States one day.

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Well hey, if i ever get over you can come stay with us anytime :D

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:25 AM
:D :cool: ;)

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:26 AM
The american women will lke a scottish accent i am sure, if they can understand you that is :p

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:31 AM
The american women will lke a scottish accent i am sure, if they can understand you that is :p

Hey, Scottish, Irish, it's all the same :D sometimes your like :confused: eh?

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:35 AM
We had a scottish girl start at work, took me a couple hours to figure out what she was saying :eek:

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Honestly if i'm talking to anyone English or something, i have to talk really polite & say every word properly(while feeling really stupid!) cos' i usually just talk slang and no one would have a clue what i was saying

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:47 AM
what does oc aye the noo mean

barryboy
09-25-2004, 08:53 AM
what does oc aye the noo mean

The stereotypical Scottish sentence eh? oc means oh, aye means yes, noo means now, i know your at it son, that couldn't be more of a stereotype if you tried :D

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 08:59 AM
rats you caught me, no she says the noo all the time at work, thick scottish accent indeed and she says that haggis thing at new years is rubbish, they just get drunk :eek:

barryboy
09-25-2004, 09:03 AM
I've never had haggis in my life or wore a kilt (some more stereotypes!) i've heard haggis is disgusting (sheeps brains if i'm not mistaken!!!)

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 09:09 AM
I think so they take a sheeps stomach and stuff it with leftover bits, like a round sausage Bleurgh

barryboy
09-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Hmmm very appetising dish eh? :eek:

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 09:34 AM
indeed i would rather eat my own arm than that filth :eek:

J !
09-27-2004, 04:34 AM
guys guys haggis is great! like spiced mince. :cool:

mind you ive eaten raw anteater in South africa and crocodile tail so probs not the best ref on this one. :eek:

Froch looked sharp wasa peach of a combination to ko Damon.

He does get ahead of himself tho.

the most exciting thing about Howards fight is the interview afterwards!!! Jeez that fight was dull. :p