Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it weird I like to fight in a southpaw stance but I'm right handed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it weird I like to fight in a southpaw stance but I'm right handed?

I feel like I throw harder and more meaningful shots at the heavy-bag in a southpaw stance. My hard punches are my straight left and right hook to the body.

But what I noticed, is that I prefer to jab with my left arm... And I need to be in an orthodox stance to do that. My right arm is not that great at jabbing... It's weird, I feel more power from my southpaw stance... But my jabbing hand is still my left hand.

Basically I switch back and fourth when hitting the bag and I can tell which shots I have more power on and which I don't.
    Last edited by ACHlLLES; 12-30-2008, 07:52 AM.

no it just means you're crazily talented and your proffesional boxing career will kick start much quicker than the average joe.

Comment

not excessively weird no, just fight which ever way you feel comfortable.

a lot of guys switch in the amatuers so they can score more points as their jab is stronger, or switch hit during fights to confuse their opponent, but tbh i think they just confuse themselves and they'd probably be better off fighting in their natural stance for the sake of their defence, coordination and footwork.

dont worry about which shots feel harder on the bag, worry about which ones land when you're fighting/sparring

Comment

I am left handed but box in orthodox style. I write with my left hand, kick with my left leg but I throw a ball better with my right hand. I can box southpaw stance as well but more comfortable in orthodox because this is the way I started (my dad basically started me off in orthodox style because "he didnt like southpaws" lol, I guess when he fought against them he found them difficult or something).
        So it is whatever works for your, my left jab is really strong my right gets the power from more leverage if anything, like overhand rights.

Comment

I think mines a bad case... It's not a good thing that I got more power in my punches from a southpaw stance, but have better jabs with my orthodox stance... That either means when I box I have to switch back and fourth or just choose one stance.

Comment

Well my stance is a southpaw and I'm right handed, I thought that was the norm..

Comment

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
              I think mines a bad case... It's not a good thing that I got more power in my punches from a southpaw stance, but have better jabs with my orthodox stance... That either means when I box I have to switch back and fourth or just choose one stance.
              Choose one stance, and practice and you will adapt easily enough. Switching is not good,

Comment

Originally posted by .:PRINCE:. View Post
                Well my stance is a southpaw and I'm right handed, I thought that was the norm..
                No, right handers generally box orthodox - lead with left-

Comment

It's not weird I know a couple of people that are right handed but feel more comfortable boxing southpaw

Comment

This can happen, Miguel Cotto and Oscar De La Hoya are natrual southpaws/left handers but fight out of the orthodox stance.

Comment

Working...
                    X