View Full Version : Where should i be throwing my jab from?

ironmike2008
11-27-2008, 07:53 AM
My jab is pretty good these days and is nice and crisp..but now that I think about it, should I be getting my shoulder involved? Or should i be keeping it static?

insight please

AndyTravis
11-27-2008, 07:57 AM
My jab is pretty good these days and is nice and crisp..but now that I think about it, should I be getting my shoulder involved? Or should i be keeping it static?

insight please

I'd like some replies on this, just to see the different opinions. There are many different ways to throw a jab, depending on the purpose of the shot. Sometimes you want power, other times speed, sometimes you don't want the opponent to know your full potential etc. The weight shifting of your body and the power of the jab also depends on if it is going to be followed by other punches or if it is coming from angle.

DJ QUIK
11-27-2008, 07:57 AM

insight please
who is that in your avy? please tell me thats not you. he looks very unhealthy and its a eye sore. yes well if you want a thudding power jab like tyson , miguel cotto shane mosley. i do it. i twist and throw my shoulders and hip into my jab and i crack peoples noses. real talk. somme people like the set up jab with power too but not max power. i love that too like zab judah and jermaine taylor and waldamir. they put enough power on it to **** you up and make you think but by then the two is comin and you floored. i love both techniques because they involve power and the shoulder. these are my choices if you want power and if you want to use the jab to hurts someone instead of just setting up and keeping distance.

Equilibrium
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
who is that in your avy? please tell me thats not you. he looks very unhealthy and its a eye sore. yes well if you want a thudding power jab like tyson , miguel cotto shane mosley. i do it. i twist and throw my shoulders and hip into my jab and i crack peoples noses. real talk. somme people like the set up jab with power too but not max power. i love that too like zab judah and jermaine taylor and waldamir. they put enough power on it to **** you up and make you think but by then the two is comin and you floored. i love both techniques because they involve power and the shoulder. these are my choices if you want power and if you want to use the jab to hurts someone instead of just setting up and keeping distance.

The guy in his avatar is "Mr.Pregnant" a youtube humorist that does really weird videos. He's pretty damn funny.

As for the topic, there are many ways of throwing the jab.

Most of the time i throw it with as much power as i can, meaning i twist my body with it, not only does it hurt but it gives me even more leverage to come back with the straight left.(Southpaw) I just throw it out of the my normal stance, meaning both gloves up by my cheek bones.

Sometimes i also keep my front hand low on purpose and throw my jab upwards to catch my opponent between the gloves, but thats more of a southpaw thing.

JulioCesaChavez
11-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Alot of people advocate throwing a jab with the shoulder, when it is better to snap it gaining more speed and using less shoulder and more elbow. Many of the faster fighters do this and it is perfect for controlling the fight and setting up right hands and left hooks. They are your money makers and the power punches. Sure, a stiff jab might do some damage, and using your shoulder will put more weight into it, but it will never genrate the power of a good right hand or left hook. I only use the stiff jab to tee off after unloading a combo. It is good to learn both ways as I have, but then use the shoulder one sparingly. There is no point wasting energy and losing speed on the jab. I pump the jab and keep it snappy which is handy if you intend to keep a high workrate. The snap jab is more better if you want to have it working like a piston. My piston jab is so fast and keeps people away from trying to hurt my film star looks.

DJ QUIK
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Alot of people advocate throwing a jab with the shoulder, when it is better to snap it gaining more speed and using less shoulder and more elbow. Many of the faster fighters do this and it is perfect for controlling the fight and setting up right hands and left hooks. They are your money makers and the power punches. Sure, a stiff jab might do some damage, and using your shoulder will put more weight into it, but it will never genrate the power of a good right hand or left hook. I only use the stiff jab to tee off after unloading a combo. It is good to learn both ways as I have, but then use the shoulder one sparingly. There is no point wasting energy and losing speed on the jab. I pump the jab and keep it snappy which is handy if you intend to keep a high workrate. The snap jab is more better if you want to have it working like a piston. My piston jab is so fast and keeps people away from trying to hurt my film star looks.

julio your a piece of **** and i really dont think you can box.

Agdistis
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Your corner shop.

Equilibrium
11-27-2008, 10:56 PM
julio your a piece of **** and i really dont think you can box.

Of course he can't, but shhhhh, he'll send you red k and talk about his star looks and incredible power. :rofl:

Danny Gunz
11-27-2008, 11:41 PM
personally i hold my left hand at the bottom of my left pec when i throw the jab but really its whatever your style is and whatever is comfortable to you, the only real person who can tell you this is a trainer

rufige
11-28-2008, 12:41 AM
my coach tells me to always keep my jab hand at eye level. as soon as i jab i bring it right back to my eye, so i wont get caught with anything. some fighters usually lower down their hands after a jab or combo and they could get caught with a counter.

DJ QUIK
11-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Of course he can't, but shhhhh, he'll send you red k and talk about his star looks and incredible power. :rofl:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/images/faces/rofl.gif:thanks: i see this ****** always spouting off about this and that but i never heard him talkin bout throwing hands. he always is giving terrible opinions and talkin about his looks on a male dominated forum :lol:

JulioCesaChavez
11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
julio your a piece of **** and i really dont think you can box.I really think you can't speak or write proper english. You obviously know nothing about boxing as one can see from your stupid sig!

Many top boxers throw the jab like that. Equilibrium's gay slow old robot from shoulder textbook version has been outdated as it is too slow. His fave fighter Gatti did it V the snap jabbing Mayweather and look what happened there :rofl:

Snap jab>>>>shoulder robot jab

ALL DAY LONG!

I got one punch power and film star looks, but why do you always have to go on about them like a ***get? You are insecure I know, but going on about it all daylong proves you are bothered by my superiority. Just get over that loss when I PWN'd you in BearGhryll's rap thread and move on son, move on!

DJ QUIK
12-03-2008, 05:05 AM
I really think you can't speak or write proper english. You obviously know nothing about boxing as one can see from your stupid sig!

Many top boxers throw the jab like that. Equilibrium's gay slow old robot from shoulder textbook version has been outdated as it is too slow. His fave fighter Gatti did it V the snap jabbing Mayweather and look what happened there :rofl:

Snap jab>>>>shoulder robot jab

ALL DAY LONG!

I got one punch power and film star looks, but why do you always have to go on about them like a ***get? You are insecure I know, but going on about it all daylong proves you are bothered by my superiority. Just get over that loss when I PWN'd you in BearGhryll's rap thread and move on son, move on!
whos really the insecure testicle licking non boxing ***get that prowls our forums under a former great boxers name?:boxing: im pretty sure you know him on need to know basis you prune

Squabbles94806
12-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Shoot that jab str8 so that both your shoulders are "on line". That way when you follow it up with your right cross, you have more rotation.

Ya gotta fcuk people up with that jab. I mean really fcuk em up. You want to try and break their nose with your jab. Make them respect your jab and i garauntee that they won't come in.

JulioCesaChavez
12-04-2008, 11:13 PM
whos really the insecure testicle licking non boxing ***get that prowls our forums under a former great boxers name?:boxing: im pretty sure you know him on need to know basis you prune

I actually had an account called Mafcherano, which is my nickname (Maf) mixed with Mascherano because people say he plays like me on the pitch! There goes another one of your false allegations right down the pipe. Your hero is a canvas licking LOSER, which pretty much explains what you aspire to be in life, lol whereas I am JC Chavez's hero and he has record for most world title fights in history! Plus he had 87 fight winning streak!!!

The funny thing is you're making a gay argument because your hero also snaps the jab. There is no need to get weight in that shot, it needs to be fast to set up your power punches (hooks, cross, uppercut). Trying to put weight behind a jab is DUMB! Snap the jab and pump it like a piston from your elbow. You still turn your shoulders a bit, and step in to the second one. This is how to use your jab to find your range and set up an opening or a right hand or even a feint and a left hook. Keep it busy, snappy, light and fast. It'll probably help your dodgy knee too ya bum.

DJ QUIK
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
I actually had an account called Mafcherano, which is my nickname (Maf) mixed with Mascherano because people say he plays like me on the pitch! There goes another one of your false allegations right down the pipe. Your hero is a canvas licking LOSER, which pretty much explains what you aspire to be in life, lol whereas I am JC Chavez's hero and he has record for most world title fights in history! Plus he had 87 fight winning streak!!!

The funny thing is you're making a gay argument because your hero also snaps the jab. There is no need to get weight in that shot, it needs to be fast to set up your power punches (hooks, cross, uppercut). Trying to put weight behind a jab is DUMB! Snap the jab and pump it like a piston from your elbow. You still turn your shoulders a bit, and step in to the second one. This is how to use your jab to find your range and set up an opening or a right hand or even a feint and a left hook. Keep it busy, snappy, light and fast. It'll probably help your dodgy knee too ya bum.

listen here you ***get i never said zab didnt snap the jab that works for him and is beautiful but zab uses his jab to stunn you at an array of angles with the leaping overhand usually following which is pure talent and beautfiul boxing. but i also gave another option for the jab like tyson ,cotto and others who try to crush you with the jab. thats beautiful to. some people use the jab to look good and for points some use it to set up and some use it just to keep people at bay. its a million uses for the jab which you would know if u actually boxed or went to a real gym u gay gypsy. hey julio how bout lets spar on Saturday at 3:30 . ill take it easy on you for the first round and then pound your brains to the mat and go play my xbox 360 in my hotel room sissy.

keepthemhandsup
12-05-2008, 01:53 AM
my coach tells me to always keep my jab hand at eye level. as soon as i jab i bring it right back to my eye, so i wont get caught with anything. some fighters usually lower down their hands after a jab or combo and they could get caught with a counter.

that happens with me but only when i throw the right... i only keep my jap hand low if the dude is ****...

DJ QUIK
12-05-2008, 06:09 AM
that happens with me but only when i throw the right... i only keep my jap hand low if the dude is ****...

yeah i agree. or when i wanna look pretty i do it. i gotta feel comfortable tho. david haye-ish or roy jone-ish before i drop the jab hand.

ironmike2008
12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
lol @ any1s idol being zab judah.

JulioCesaChavez
12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
listen here you ***get i never said zab didnt snap the jab that works for him and is beautiful but zab uses his jab to stunn you at an array of angles with the leaping overhand usually following which is pure talent and beautfiul boxing. but i also gave another option for the jab like tyson ,cotto and others who try to crush you with the jab. thats beautiful to. some people use the jab to look good and for points some use it to set up and some use it just to keep people at bay. its a million uses for the jab which you would know if u actually boxed or went to a real gym u gay gypsy. hey julio how bout lets spar on Saturday at 3:30 . ill take it easy on you for the first round and then pound your brains to the mat and go play my xbox 360 in my hotel room sissy.

Do you have a hotel room because you are a rent boy? Take it easy or not I will probably kick your gay whining arse from pillar to post. I got nothing to prove like you (which is why you make one upmanship comments) as I am having my pro medical in several days and I'm in tip top shape, not a lazy bum who can;t even do daily stretches and physio exercises to get fit again quickly!

As a sseasoned fighter, I am well aware that there are many other different types of jab, and that succesful fighters have used them all. But contrary to popular belief, it is actually that kind of jab which you use which is harder to pull off! NOT the other way round. You need certain natural abilities and a style to go with it. It is not wrong, but it is not good to use all the time as it also takes lots of energy for no reason. The snap jab is something that would work more universally IMO, which is why it is used more universally! You can use whichever one you were taught but I would prefer snapping.

I was acutally taught the one you use but went against my trainers wishes and used my own brain, as I got one. You may not have that luxury but why not have a go at experimenting with the snap jab? It may suit you better. 90% of people who try both will find the snap jab suits them more. Even big punchers. I am a boxer-puncher and use a stiff jab now and then, but still prefet to use a snap jab to set up a well timed and blindingly fast and accurate right hand which knocks mofo's out. Even when I jab-feint-left hook, I use the snab jab and it helps the power of the hook as this jab creates momentum. Just ask your hero Zab about momentum!

Noy
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
As was said above, there a many ways to throw a jab.

I like to throw my jab with a small front leg step, and i extend my arm as much as I can by twisting my core. this also sets me up for a strong cross. a lot of guys prepare a cross with a wimpy jab.

I've always been taught that the motion of the jab going back should be faster than going forward, so that it snaps like a wet towel.

JulioCesaChavez
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I think it would be better to make it as fast as possible both ways! Why would you need to do a particular kind of jab to set up a strong right hand though? That would mean your stance for your right hand is not right, and you will end up being unable to throw strong lead rights. You will depend on a lead jab to make a good right hand. I seen this with a few people, and they seem to only be able to throw strong rights in a 1-2! Many people need to shorten and lign up their stances properly so they can throw lead right hands or even left hooks. They will be better balanced too.

If your stance is correct and sideways, with right heel off ground all the time, and it is not too wide then you will have a right hand powerful enough to lead with. this is the correct method so the power is the same in a 1-2, or just a 2! I also step into my jab, but don;t need to do it to twist my core and set up the right hand. It shoudl already be in the correct postion so you can throw a 1-2 or a straight right as the situation demands.