View Full Version : Should I give up boxing?

The_King
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok, I'v been training now for about one and half years, to two years and never had a bout. I never seem to progress and get any fitter in sparring. I'm blowing after 2 rounds. Yet I train 6 days a week. My coach says I have no zip in my punches. Sould I just carry on training or give it up?

Migs
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok, I'v been training now for about one and half years, to two years and never had a bout. I never seem to progress and get any fitter in sparring. I'm blowing after 2 rounds. Yet I train 6 days a week. My coach says I have no zip in my punches. Sould I just carry on training or give it up?

Dude I've been training just as long as you and tried to get my first bout in October but they didn't have anyone to pair me with. I'm not where I'd like to be technique wise, weight wise, mentally, etc. but for some reason I can't quit it. Honestly, I've taken a month or two off a couple times because mentally I didn't want to anymore but like I said I would inevitably come back. I have no intentions of going pro as I'm already to old and also I have a career that takes precedent over training if it has to. I box because it's a great work out and I do like sparring. I still want to get a bout but if all I ever remain is someone's sparring partner I'm fine with that. You gotta do what makes you happy. Maybe take a break and see if that fire comes back. If not then you made the right decision. I guess it all depends what you're trying to do.

mr tricky
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM

btw ive been training 2 years still had no bout but i know im close,

your coach says youve got no zip in your punches,???

work on it, go on the bag and practice geting that snap you need, look on the internet for tutorials, ect....practice more, look at some fighters and learn fromt them, become motivated,

mabey go back to the basics, and practice your defense ect, and keep practicng to get that zip in ur pounches

Richie-G
11-27-2008, 03:38 AM
you cant give up just because you get tired after two rounds or dont have any "zip".
keep training until you dont get tired, or until you get the zip.:boxing:

Ictus
11-27-2008, 05:17 AM
It's about you, not about anyone else. If you've dedicated yourself to boxing and love the sport, you should continue. As long as you like to train and you don't have to force yourself to go to training, continue.

AndyTravis
11-27-2008, 06:52 AM

If you can, go to a new gym or get a new coach, even if it is just for a couple of days. I change environments every now and again, even though I go back to my same gym, because sometimes I just need someone else to tell me the same thing in different words I understand.

The Jackal
11-27-2008, 07:31 AM
you cant give up just because you get tired after two rounds or dont have any "zip".
keep training until you dont get tired, or until you get the zip.:boxing:
His right get endurance in up the miles in your roadwork if youth is on your side man don't give up the opportunity to box i wouldn't id love eat + sleep it make a way of life focus on you & what you do iron out what probs you have give it everything you have if you feel like packing it in then well your not a failure you gave your all.

Salty
11-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Ask your trainer what you are doing wrong and if he can't tell you, find another gym. You might just have a **** trainer?

Equilibrium
11-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Ask your trainer what you are doing wrong and if he can't tell you, find another gym. You might just have a **** trainer?

What he said.

As for your question, well, do you enjoy boxing? If you do just keep at it, **** what everybody else says and do what you enjoy doing.

The_One77
11-27-2008, 08:16 AM

This may sound harsh but sometimes if you dont have it in you should let it go altogether.
That way you can put your time and energy other things instead of boxing, which it seems that you are not naturally good at.

You can love boxing and still do it as a hobbie but dont put all your eggs into one basket.

DJ QUIK
11-27-2008, 09:02 AM
If you can, go to a new gym or get a new coach, even if it is just for a couple of days. I change environments every now and again, even though I go back to my same gym, because sometimes I just need someone else to tell me the same thing in different words I understand.

exactly. also sometimes you have to seprate yourself and train yourself to get comfortable. a boxer told me this. you gotta find yourself and your technique. if you training this much for this long obviously youve got the heart and deication its just a stumbling block in your way. do what i do go to the bookstore read books go to other gyms and find new techniques. switch it up try another style of fighting and different fitness techniques. no zip means you aint punchin right and if your coach isnt showing you then he doesnt know himself so youtube different techniques or go somewhere else and learn how to repunch. i had to do the same.

JulioCesaChavez
11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
If you're done after two rounds then you ain't training properly. Go for arun and don't lie to yourself about how hard you are training. If you actually give it a proper go, then you never know! I knew a fatty once who oneday decided to get off his arse and start running. he turned out ot be a copaable boxer.

Oriachim
11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
6 days a week for 1 and a half years... you can't be blowing after 2 rounds, be honest with yourself... or whats your diet like? after training you smashing in beer and burgers? I mean me... after 1 month of training 3 days a week and eating healthy, I noticed a dramtic change in my fitness.

cotto16
11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
''You say your blowing after 2 rounds'' are you doing your roadwork?

JulioCesaChavez
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
''You say your blowing after 2 rounds'' are you doing your roadwork?
Probably not. This is what the problem probably is. Even the worlds best can't do shortcuts there! Or they will pay for it. The only fighter I know thathated roadowrk was Holyfield, but he had a personal trainer and doc making sure he did same amount of cardio work on a bike and upper body exercise thing. Unless this guy gets a personal trainer, I seriously think he needs to stop lying to himself and do the roadwork and circuits properly. I doubt he is doing the circuits properly or at all if he is gassed after 2 rounds. 2 rounds is **** all.