View Full Version : fighting southpaws

keepthemhandsup
11-25-2008, 06:46 AM
can anyone give me some good tips on fighting southpaws?

JulioCesaChavez
11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Didn;t we have this thread like 3 days ago? why do people feel the need to start a thread aboitu somehting already discussed again and again? WIll it give you an ego trip as opposed to pressing page 2 or simply scrolling down:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224844

britnostalgic
11-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Although I'm still learning my trade... this is how I approach a southpaw

Keep moving to their left, in a circle if you like... jab, jab and then jab some more, if your really brave follow with a left and right hook to the head or body... If you move to their right, you'll leave yourself vulnerable to their heavy left hand, which is the equivalent to the power of your right. Despite this, southpaws are awkward b@stards and really hard to fight.

keepthemhandsup
11-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Didn;t we have this thread like 3 days ago? why do people feel the need to start a thread aboitu somehting already discussed again and again? WIll it give you an ego trip as opposed to pressing page 2 or simply scrolling down:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224844

a. i'm lazy

b.it really doesn't really matter does it?

c. i'm lazy

d. thanks for the link :D

Although I'm still learning my trade... this is how I approach a southpaw

Keep moving to their left, in a circle if you like... jab, jab and then jab some more, if your really brave follow with a left and right hook to the head or body... If you move to their right, you'll leave yourself vulnerable to their heavy left hand, which is the equivalent to the power of your right. Despite this, southpaws are awkward b@stards and really hard to fight.

aint that the truth....thanks for the tip

Rockin'
11-27-2008, 02:30 PM
can anyone give me some good tips on fighting southpaws?

The secret to fighting southpaws is to punch them more than they punch you. But dont tell anybody, I normally charge for this kind of ingenious advice...........Rockin'

j
11-27-2008, 06:33 PM
give it up! u can never defeat the unorthodox style, *****ez!

El_Boxeador
11-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Some advice I can give you, depending on how advanced you are, is to switch your stance as often as needed when fighting a southpaw. I like to show the southpaw I can fight them orthodox or southpaw. And most importantly: use that left hook as often as you can. My favorite move is a basic jab followed my an immediate left hook.

B.A. Sherif
11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
South paws arent a problem to me because of the style my gym teaches; its a switch hitting style that my gym is famous for. We constantly switch, naturally. I'm as comfortable leading with my right as i am with the left. I can't stay orthodox or south paw for any given time. That makes me uncomfortable and feels unnatural. So to me a southpaw is just the same as boxing and orthodox. No special method.

JulioCesaChavez
11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
give it up! u can never defeat the unorthodox style, *****ez!

I find them easy to be honest. Once you step to the left and nail them with a right, the dumb *****ez don't know what the **** to do!!!! Don't let them be confusing and they end up being the ones who are confused!

pblo_rl
11-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I find them easy to be honest. Once you step to the left and nail them with a right, the dumb *****ez don't know what the **** to do!!!! Don't let them be confusing and they end up being the ones who are confused!

Julio, when fighting a southpaw.. you have to move to your left or you have to move to the southpaw stance left?

JulioCesaChavez
11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
You're left, their right to stay away from eating left hands. This is quite basic and any good trainer will tell you what you need to do V southpaws. It is same **** different way

Juof
12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
im a converted orthadox so im really left handed but it feels better when im orthadox i know that my left hook is the best but my trainer tells us big right hand over the top
or step to the side and left hook jab or what ever

Noy
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
i'm a southpaw. lead rights will do it.... believe me.

same thing we'll do to orthodox fighters... we'll lead left and try to keep our lead foot outside of yours. do the same, but the other way around.

BG_Knocc_Out
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, move to the outside of their right foot, like everyone says. There's an old boxing myth It's worked well for me but I've had to add to it. Pressure the while on the outside of their right foot and throw combinations, works everytime for me.

GTTofAK
12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Move left. Throw the lead right. Take advantage of human physiology and pound their liver with left hooks to the body (it really really hurts trust me). We lead with our liver take advantage of that.

supRa
12-17-2008, 03:04 PM
jab jab jab jab......

jab on top and do a stright right hand in the stomach....

just like erik morales did to pac man...

jabbbbbbbbbbbb

GoatBoner-2k9
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
the only sure fire way to beat a south paw is to be me!!. are you me? nope soz this advice doesnt help you, it sure helped me!

1. remove there left hand and they wont be able to land heavy hands on you.
2. buy my book (Gardner, 2009. The Art of Boxing My way. penguin books)

xxBUY MY BOOKXX