View Full Version : advice on sparring bigger kids tommorow

bbos
11-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I boxed amatuer for about three years, no fight yet, just sparring. I met up with a couple of kids and we are going to do some sparring tommorow.

Since I'm in college, I don't have the time to goto an actual gym so I just been trainning on my own, mainly just been doing body weight stuff and cali,

the thing is Im a natural light weight and those kids are about 160 lbs, people told me I have pretty good power in my right hand and I think I'm pretty fast, but my one disadvantage is my reach (65 inch wingspan) so any adivce on fighting on or getting on the inside would help me a lot.

KostyaTszyu44
11-24-2008, 05:39 AM
I boxed amatuer for about three years, no fight yet, just sparring. I met up with a couple of kids who sparrs and we are going to do some sparring tommorow.

Since I'm in college, I don't have the time to goto an actual gym so I just been trainning on my own, mainly just been doing body weight stuff and cali,

the thing is Im a natural light weight and those kids are about 160 lbs, people told me I have pretty good power in my right hand and I think I'm pretty fast, but my one disadvantage is my reach (65 inch wingspan) so any adivce on fighting on or getting on the inside would help me a lot.

move your head , hands high, elbows tucked in and move side to side, dont move straight back

d_lyrik803
11-24-2008, 11:55 PM
move your head , hands high, elbows tucked in and move side to side, dont move straight back
exactly, and always get angles on them, most likely they will be slower than you so they will never see punches coming. stay busy.

hopefully u know how to pivot and transition into 2 or 3 punch combos. for instance post them, hit them with a straight and maybe a hook. most likely the bigger guy will be the aggressor so at this point after your two or three punch combo use the momentum of their weight coming towards you to pivot out and around their line of sight, i usually refer it to the window between their gloves, and hit them with a simple 1-2 and immediately apply your footwork. use the ring.

kryo
11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I boxed amatuer for about three years, no fight yet, just sparring. I met up with a couple of kids and we are going to do some sparring tommorow.

How exactly did you box amateur for three years and not get a fight? The whole concept of "going amateur" is that you've had at least one fight. I'm not knocking you, but seriously.. unless you had lay offs frequently or something, there is no reason why you shouldn't have fought. Also, if you have boxed for three years, I am sure you have sparred people who were naturally heavier than you, so you should have been exposed to fighting on the inside before.. against people who actually know how to box. Sparring friends who apparently have no experience and are heavier than you should pose little to no threat to you at all.. unless it's been years since you've been in a ring.