View Full Version : Recovering from a real bad sparring session?

Actus Reus 21
11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Yesterday I had a terrible day when I sparred. I couldnt get my punches off and when I could, they were very sloppy. The thing that frustrates me is that Ive been doing good and working hard and improving. I felt like **** the rest of the day and Still do today! What do you guys do when you do have a terrible day or not do so good? Please share your thoughts:pat:

southpaw_07
11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
LOL.
Sparring?
If below is the best you can do in a ring, I don't think any sparring in the world can help ya. You chose the wrong sport.

Charlie Zelenoff: the rise and fall documentary

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC62H2opk3U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC62H2opk3U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DJ QUIK
11-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Yesterday I had a terrible day when I sparred. I couldnt get my punches off and when I could, they were very sloppy. The thing that frustrates me is that Ive been doing good and working hard and improving. I felt like **** the rest of the day and Still do today! What do you guys do when you do have a terrible day or not do so good? Please share your thoughts:pat:

that **** used to crush me mentally. and the days i sparred good id be on a high. but at first i had the wrong trainer stance and approach and i couldnt get a shot off to save my mamas life. and when i learned the proper way i was all to the good then my staminia started to kick in then i felt like i cant cant comeback to the gym until im in better shape. i havent been back in a while because i gotta get myself lookin and feeling better in there. i looked terrible last time. it wont happen again if i train hard outside the gym. i look at sparring like fights so i take it harder than most. plus i have problems getting my punches off too. im not relxed im too tense.

Salty
11-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I know when I have a **** sparring session I end up in front of the mirror shadow boxing, figuring out the ways he hit me and how he did so. I think it's much better to lose at sparring, you get so much more out of it, highlighting your weaknesses so you can work them out before you get knocked out.

PunchDrunk
11-21-2008, 07:59 AM
LOL.
Sparring?
If below is the best you can do in a ring, I don't think any sparring in the world can help ya. You chose the wrong sport.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC62H2opk3U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QC62H2opk3U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He is not Charlie Zelenoff.

DJ QUIK
11-21-2008, 08:09 AM

lol!!:headbang:

keepthemhandsup
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
if i have a **** day in sparring i catch my breath and think about what i did wrong....then improve on what i did wrong.....

JulioCesaChavez
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Get back in the ring and quit ya moping

Actus Reus 21
11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
LOL.
Sparring?

Im not charlie get your facts straight :nono:
that **** used to crush me mentally. and the days i sparred good id be on a high. but at first i had the wrong trainer stance and approach and i couldnt get a shot off to save my mamas life. and when i learned the proper way i was all to the good then my staminia started to kick in then i felt like i cant cant comeback to the gym until im in better shape. i havent been back in a while because i gotta get myself lookin and feeling better in there. i looked terrible last time. it wont happen again if i train hard outside the gym. i look at sparring like fights so i take it harder than most. plus i have problems getting my punches off too. im not relxed im too tense.
yea it didnt hurt me to get caught with hard punches not even close to how much it ****ed me up mentally.
what do you think about this(thread) punchdrunk? what do you usually have your fighters do if they have a off day or hesitate in sparring?

Get back in the ring and quit ya moping
yea I just got back! the gym was closed because theres a bunch of amateur fights going on tonight and tomorrow, SO im goona have to wait till monday:pat:

Im just frustrated at this point because I really wanted to get this off my chest and go in there and spar better today.

Landon S
11-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Just get back in there right away, if you had a bad day then the next day will probably be better. Showing heart is something you can take pride in no matter what.

Shadowbox alot and do something that your good at like running or something to help build that confidence back up man.

JayCoe
11-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Was sparring a heavyweight pro, took a body shot and fell down in pain, I felt like a dick, I know I shouldn't because he's done it to a lot of people, he does it on purpose to show you to keep your body protected because it doesn't take a lot to drop you if the punch is landed in the right place and correctly. But I felt stupid, so I got back in the ring over and over again, I fought and I fought and it was inevitable I would lose because this guy spars us simply for that reason, he's ****ing good and he's there to raise the bar just above us at all times so we're always learning. But I got back in. After he went, I got back in again with a normal guy and did much better, got his nose a bit swollen and bloodied.

You lose a lot of confidence when you get beat around but you have two choices - gain it back or leave it. If you leave it, you've quit boxing, whether you still go to the gym and hit the bags or not, you're not boxing if you're not prepared to spar. If you want to gain it back, get in the ring and go.

Oriachim
11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I've had bad moments sparring usually with bigger lads but still, yo just gotta live with it and keep at it.

JulioCesaChavez
11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Seriously man, stop posting here or thinking about it in any way or form. Bounce back and carry on sparring. I went to a gym that was full of wars which is why we all learned good defence and proper boxing! Sometimes we had a few pitty patter 'technique' and learning sessions but once someone is carded, IMO this is how sparring should be! This is how you learn to box, an that is what they mean by the training is the hardest bit.

KostyaTszyu44
11-23-2008, 04:51 AM
train hard, fight easy