View Full Version : Countering

AndyTravis
11-21-2008, 05:14 AM
My general defense is pretty good these days, except I have problems getting hit with counters, or a counter of my counter or a counter of my counter of their counter of my sisters brothers uncles counter.... if you get my drift. lol. I know it will be just time and experience but any suggestions?

kryo
11-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Don't get countered.

luzluzlzu

seriously though, bring your hands back quickly? You answered your own question really.. time and experience. We have no way of really helping considering we have no videos or knowledge of how you fight.

Barndog
11-21-2008, 05:51 AM
you may be telegraphing, make sure you're not giving away signs of what you're going to do..

theghost#1
11-21-2008, 06:12 AM
My general defense is pretty good these days, except I have problems getting hit with counters, or a counter of my counter or a counter of my counter of their counter of my sisters brothers uncles counter.... if you get my drift. lol. I know it will be just time and experience but any suggestions?

After throwing punches move to the side and keep your guard up. Basically don't stand there and get hit. Watch Hopkins!!!!!

AndyTravis
11-21-2008, 06:33 AM
See, I know all this stuff you guys are telling me, but it works great for me to be reminded of it.

JulioCesaChavez
11-21-2008, 11:47 AM
After throwing punches move to the side and keep your guard up. Basically don't stand there and get hit. Watch Hopkins!!!!!

Do this, but also maybe you are not being smart or fast enough? You can counter the counter or simply just counter from the start so you won't be suffering the same problem too much. I can't tell if you are being serious and if this is happening to you alot, because the thread seems to have been written in jest. If it is happening to you ALOT, then simply box on your back foot more and retreat. Become the counterpunching boxer, rather than getting your ears boxed off and counterpunched

AndyTravis
11-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Do this, but also maybe you are not being smart or fast enough? You can counter the counter or simply just counter from the start so you won't be suffering the same problem too much. I can't tell if you are being serious and if this is happening to you alot, because the thread seems to have been written in jest. If it is happening to you ALOT, then simply box on your back foot more and retreat. Become the counterpunching boxer, rather than getting your ears boxed off and counterpunched

Most of my posts have some sad humor attached to them, but I'm serious. I actually think I need to drill on only avoiding counters. I drop my hands after punches, I think that's my biggest problem. I just need someone to whack me every time I do it, and not just in sparring.

SOY-COMO-SOY
11-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Get a sparring partner you trust and tell him your problem...... so you can practice not getting countered.

ironmike2008
11-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Testes satchel, with all due respect I feel you are a troll. From your avatar to your posts, you reek of somebody just tryna get a reaction. I've never done that.

KostyaTszyu44
11-23-2008, 05:48 AM
you need to step off and launch a second attack or turn off a move out of range after every combo in the ams

JUHL
11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
move your head, dont announce your punches, throw feints.....

matty_mop
11-24-2008, 06:18 AM
use speed instead of power to make your hands come back quicker and if not just trade, get them into a corner and force them to work and get tired instead of letting them counter.

britnostalgic
11-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Also... You've just got to be more deviant... I like to drop the left arm a little, to expose the chin... they normally get suckered into throwing the right hand, I move my body from the hips sharply to the right and down slightly, their punch should connect, but bounce of your your shoulder... as soon as you feel their glove, you know they are slightly off balance and moving forward... this'll give you the momentum to spin from the hip delivering a deadly right hand to the lower body. I've got this wrong a few times, and it hurts if you do. When you get this right, you'll see the guy either drop like a sack of spuds or see first hand his energy levels completley drain.

Practice the moves you pick up and use sparring as a way to perfect them, forget trying to knock each others head off... learn control, practice makes perfect. Also learn to jab and move, jab and move as well using the double jab. Jab head body, body head. I always hook low to the body the first couple of rounds, but I work everything off the jab.

Also if you're agressive, when his punches come raining in, you can hold your gloves up, and parry his shots with slight left and right movements... then catch him on the way out. Never let him throw punches and walk back out without not throwing a few of your own, just throw anything as he tries to escape.

You've gotta keep moving that head also, in fact this is probably too much for you to take in all at once...

I'm no expert, and am yet to compete in the ring, but these are just basics that work for me when sparring.