View Full Version : The SouthPaw Thread

AztecWanker
11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
anything southpaw realted goes in here!

any fellow southpaw on this forum??

discuss......:boxing:

JulioCesaChavez
11-19-2008, 09:27 PM
I can switch southpaw and feel comfortable throwing the jab and right hook but not the straight left. It feels weird. I only do it when i show off against someone who is nowhere near my level. My trainer has taught me alot of good tips to neutralise southpaws. There are many but I will highlight one particular fave of mine.

I step to their right and try finding the side of the head with the jab to line up the right hand for the chin. If you're aiming there you are more likely to nail 'em with a right. Alot of people aim their jab at the southpaws chin or face as they would do with an orthodox fighter and end up missing with the right (it's easier for them to dodge) , or landing at an awkward incorrect and/or ineffective angle. If you jab to side of their head, and land right hand to side of their chin, you are the one giving them the difficult and awkward angles!!! Southpaws do this to orthodox fighters without even knowing it.

I am lucky to have a decent southpaw to spar with. If you do not, then find one before it is too late. With southpaws only practice and learning from mistakes in training will help you to find them less awkward, and more of a peice of cake!

peewee1460
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
i can't stand sparring southpaws. all i do is constantly touch their right glove with my left and look for a right hand

JulioCesaChavez
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
i can't stand sparring southpaws. all i do is constantly touch their right glove with my left and look for a right hand

You can do that too, as PBF explains in that vid but remember you put yourself in their range too! Use your left jab instead of touching them. Find the right side of their head instead of their right hand. Then nail in the same right cross. You have two scoring shots for the price of one! it is the same principle but worked differently.

The right uppercut works well v southpaws too. remember to circle to the left far enough so you do not get nailed by their right hook! I like to circle them out to the left, and when I am far enough to their right just step in unload and get back out! I also use to be lioke you and hated sparring southpaws, but then I realised I need to figurer the cunts out incase I get nailed in a fight with multiple left hands. This is what a good southpwa will do to you. I'm happy it only happened in gym and I got my revenge!

venerablefist
11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I can switch southpaw and feel comfortable throwing the jab and right hook but not the straight left. It feels weird. I only do it when i show off against someone who is nowhere near my level. My trainer has taught me alot of good tips to neutralise southpaws. There are many but I will highlight one particular fave of mine.

I step to the right and try finding the side of the head with the jab to line up the right hand for the chin. If you're aiming there you aremore likely to nail 'em with a right. Alot of people aim their jab at the southpaws chin or face as they would do with an orthodox fighter and end up missing with the right (it's easier for them to dodge) , or landing at an awkward incorrect and/or ineffective angle. If you jab to side of their head, and land right hand to side of their chin, you are the one giving them the difficult and awkward angles!!! Southpaws do this to orthodox fighters without even knowing it.

I am lucky to have a decent southpaw to spar with. If you do not, then find one before it is too late. With southpaws only practice and learning from mistakes in training will help you to find them less awkward, and more of a peice of cake!
but my doing that technique aren't you steping toward there strong hand if there a natural lefty

JulioCesaChavez
11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
but my doing that technique aren't you steping toward there strong hand if there a natural lefty

How? If you go to your left then you are going away from their left hand. Not THEIR left! if you step that way then yeah you will be getting nailed with their left for fun. Go to their right, and your left. But make sure you are outside or you will go to their right hook, as some southpwas do have a good right hook which they use when people simply circle left but neglect proximity. In and out, go to your left and you will be OK.

AztecWanker
11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
my trainer taught me to do the what we call the "chris byrd slap". which is pretty much swat down his left jab with my right jab and immediately touch him in his face. scores points and drives my sparring partner nuts lol

JulioCesaChavez
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
my trainer taught me to do the what we call the "chris byrd slap". which is pretty much swat down his left jab with my right jab and immediately touch him in his face. scores points and drives my sparring partner nuts lol

You can do that in reverse too, orthodox >>>> southpaw. Alot of fighters get confused by southpaws just like your sparring partner! Even good fighters. I find swithcing southpaw just for a while can throw them off guard too. Southpaws don't even like southpaws!

!! Shawn
11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

What your trainer has you doing is the best thing to do when they are jabbing at you. I would recommend you work on a good up jab too because when they stop jabbing and they usually do, you have to be able to snake your jab up and inside their left hand.

South paws with a good jab are deadly. For most orthodox fighters it is almost impossible to jab effectively with a southpaw because the jab they need to use is something they were never taught.

Equilibrium
11-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm a soutpaw myself, technically i'm a natural right hander but i have been fighting from the southpaw stance since i started going to boxing gyms in my teens.

Funny enough i don't like sparring other southpaws, it just feels so awkward, cause i can't work around the jab as easily. The only other southpaw i can spar at my gym tells me the same thing, he hates sparring me. :poke:

actionjackson
11-20-2008, 12:09 AM
I am a natural southpaw right here.

I find as a southpaw I can more easily get out of trouble by moving to the right. I also feel I have a strong advantage in ring generalship and controlling the centre of the ring from the southpaw stance.

AztecWanker
11-20-2008, 12:52 AM
What your trainer has you doing is the best thing to do when they are jabbing at you. I would recommend you work on a good up jab too because when they stop jabbing and they usually do, you have to be able to snake your jab up and inside their left hand.

South paws with a good jab are deadly. For most orthodox fighters it is almost impossible to jab effectively with a southpaw because the jab they need to use is something they were never taught.

very good post, this is the type of post i was looking for when i made this thread, green k my dude :headbang:

JulioCesaChavez
11-20-2008, 02:25 AM
very good post, this is the type of post i was looking for when i made this thread, green k my dude :headbang:

You must be ****ing joking! The forum tit is telling you to slip inside and give a jab with 'sting' probably meaning using your elbow which may result in painful hyperextension. He uses this gay jab his vids quite often when the jab from shoulder is more mechanically sound and safe.

That technique he describes can be done once in a while, but if you keep slipping inside their lead hand V experienced fighter, they will nail you with a straight cross to your chin. You would have to be in and out and cannot stay to do combos. I would have a field day with a southpaw doing that. They would be better off trying to stay in line, or even better circling to my left and nailing me fromoutside as I do to them.

PWNd Shawn is also suggesting most orthodox fighters should do same thing. if you go to your right adn slip inside a southpaw's lead hand all the time, they will nail you with straight lefts for fun. His tips are very ambiguous too, and he just likes buzz words that don't actually mean **** like 'sting'.

I remeber he previously said something gay in a similar post like when you fight a southpaw, you must be like one. When asked to elaborate he says sting with the jab and be like a snake as though every southpaw had the same style! No they do not all fight the same way as you can see by comaring Naz to Pacman, or Pacman to Hagler, etc.

His knowledge is weak and his pseudo-expert advice is weak. He is only poster in this entire site that actually pisses me off because he folls innocent gullible people with pure BULL! He may even cause people to quit. there are many styles of southpaw fighters, even people who come and fight in pocket. His lack of knowledge is pathetic and is bordering on embarassing.

freeze_dried
11-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Im right handed but I much prefer southpaw, I think it's because I like to be able to control the opponent with a persistent strong jab but I also try to mix it up a little bit.

Is anyone on here the same? Does anyone actually know why a right hander would prefer a southpaw stance?

PunchDrunk
11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Im right handed but I much prefer southpaw, I think it's because I like to be able to control the opponent with a persistent strong jab but I also try to mix it up a little bit.

Is anyone on here the same? Does anyone actually know why a right hander would prefer a southpaw stance?

I guess it's because you feel like you can control the distance better with your right hand as the lead. You have better motor skills and strength with your preferred hand, so your jab will be stronger, faster, and more accurate. The downside, of course, is that your cross will be weaker and harder for you to learn to throw correctly.

I'm left handed and fight orthodox, so I had the same problem. My first trainer didn't know ****, so he never caught it in the beginning, and for some reason, no one ever saw fit to turn me over. I had to work long and hard on my right cross, and it eventually got better, but to this day, I can turn southpaw, and throw a much harder left cross.

I would recommend you learn how to fight orthodox.

TheTruthIs
11-20-2008, 06:46 AM

Natural ortho, but fight from both stances. I was taught to jab jab jab as a beginner, so became very effective with my left. Left hook worked better then my right hook and so on. Since working hard on southie stance, it got me working my right a lot more and with shorter effective punches.

It also helped to find more openings in defence by exploiting openings created by increased lateral movement and forcing opponents to adjust.

PunchDrunk
11-20-2008, 06:49 AM

How do you "snake" your jab up the outside of a southpaws left hand? :thinking:

JulioCesaChavez
11-20-2008, 06:53 AM

You should fight orthodox, and lefty's shoulf fight souhtpaw. It is misguided fake intelligence what you are doing and you will end up with **** all in your cross. Even world class left handed southpaws like Oscar have problems landing flush right hands but not getting as much sting as they do in their left handed shots. IMO Oscar would have been better off southpaw! There was a right handed southpaw called Paul Spadafora and he was so **** he beat up his wife and ended his career by going to jail. True story.

Equilibrium
11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

I'm the same. A lot of boxers do it for some reason, De la Hoya is a natural southpaw and he fights as an orthodox fighter, same for Miguel Cotto. Marvin Hagler, Chad Dawson and Michael Moorer are all natural right hander and they fight/fought as southpaw.

And these are the ones i can come up with from the top of my head, im sure there is more.

Personally the only reason i started trainning and fighting that way was because it felt more comfortable, not to be able to lead with my stronger hand, cause i have similar power in both hands.

JulioCesaChavez
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm the same. A lot of boxers do it for some reason, De la Hoya is a natural southpaw and he fights as an orthodox fighter, same for Miguel Cotto. Marvin Hagler, Chad Dawson and Michael Moorer are all natural right hander and they fight/fought as southpaw.

And these are the ones i can come up with from the top of my head, im sure there is more.

Personally the only reason i started trainning and fighting that way was because it felt more comfortable, cause i have similar power in both hands.

You're not Cotto or Oscar though now are you? I always thought Hagler was a lefty or ambidextrous. WTF is Chad Dawson doing on that list? :rofl:

not to be able to lead with my stronger hand,<<Makes no sense at all and is opposite of what you were saying before.

There is a school of thought in boxing that believes your stronger hand should do more of the dog work: jabbing, hooks, etc. But it is wrong! It has become very popular as you may have noticed at the last olympics. You need your money maker in your cross, unless of course you genuinely do have power and MANUAL DEXTERITY in both hands and stances like an ambidextrous Naz.

There is another school of thought that believes the soutpaw's are flawed and once they are figured out they will get nailed left right and centre and knocked the **** out. It is a popular school of thought amongst latin fighters which is why they have produced so many orthodox lefty's. Also, as a trainer it makes pad work alot easier!

And finally... Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one! On this topic more than any others in boxing!

TheTruthIs
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
You're not Cotto or Oscar though now are you? I always thought Hagler was a lefty or ambidextrous. WTF is Chad Dawson doing on that list? :rofl:

<<Makes no sense at all and is opposite of what you were saying before.

There is a school of thought in boxing that believes your stronger hand should do more of the dog work: jabbing, hooks, etc. But it is wrong! It has become very popular as you may have noticed at the last olympics. You need your money maker in your cross, unless of course you genuinely do have power and MANUAL DEXTERITY in both hands and stances like an ambidextrous Naz.

There is another school of thought that believes the soutpaw's are flawed and once they are figured out they will get nailed left right and centre and knocked the **** out. It is a popular school of thought amongst latin fighters which is why they have produced so many orthodox lefty's. Also, as a trainer it makes pad work alot easier!

And finally... Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one! On this topic more than any others in boxing!

Yea 'tis true, as well to note, and not as cliche'...*******s also tend to have opinions on everything.

!! Shawn
11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
How do you "snake" your jab up the outside of a southpaws left hand? :thinking:

You don't. As a southpaw you snake your jab up the inside of your orthodox opponents left hand.

You know the jab. Its an up jab that slips in between their gloves instead of a normal jab that always runs into their left glove.

I know you don't like me, but pretending that you don't know what I am talking about only does a disservice to yourself.

Equilibrium
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM

<<Makes no sense at all and is opposite of what you were saying before.

No, i'm not Oscar, and neither are you. Hagler(Hearns and Leonard have said that he lacked power in his left hand) is indeed a right hander and Chad Dawson too, to my eyes he is the upcomming fighter with the most potential. Thats debatable of course.

As far as the part about being ambidextrous, well i am, i can write with both hands and switch back to the orthodox stance without any problem. I just choose to fight as a southpaw because i feel better that way.

JulioCesaChavez
11-20-2008, 08:58 PM
No, i'm not Oscar, and neither are you. Hagler(Hearns and Leonard have said that he lacked power in his left hand) is indeed a right hander and Chad Dawson too, to my eyes he is the upcomming fighter with the most potential. Thats debatable of course.

As far as the part about being ambidextrous, well i am, i can write with both hands and switch back to the orthodox stance without any problem. I just choose to fight as a southpaw because i feel better that way.

Well if you can write with both hands then my assumptions were wrong, and you are genuinely WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT ambidextrous. Some people think they are just because they do not feel awkward doing both stances. If you are genuinely both handed then take your pick, or do both. I think the best thing is to have strongest hand at the back because not only will you have more power but you will also have more accuracy and skill where you need it. The stronger hand has more manual dexterity too, which is needed for the punch that comes from the farest point.

You may have ntoiced Hagler often use to step forward in to orthodox and smack them with a straight right. He is a different case anyway, but even then I really think he would be better off boxing orthodox as a right hander and so would all them pitty patter olympians (who may have to one day turn pro where you need a punch!). I don't agree witht he latino/old school idea that the southpaws are flawed and even lefty's should box orthodox. It is just a mirror image of the orthodox stance, and there are no flaws there.

JulioCesaChavez
11-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Yea 'tis true, as well to note, and not as cliche'...*******s also tend to have opinions on everything.

Spot on. Shawn fits that bill as he makes up bull**** from anywhere which is always wrong as it is just his opinion and nobody eleses. I on the other hand state facts not opinions, or the opinions of others as in the message you quoted. That one was for information purposes, and I did not state that I subscribe to either way of thinking. Sometimes I do take a stance, but this usually can also be referenced to an expert rather than thin air!

FlaminGuru
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
i'm a natural lefty but i fight orthodox

my coach says if u can fight orthox, then technically you can switch yourself
out of trouble.

I feel more comfortable fighting orthodox anyway, maximizing my jab and left hook.

PunchDrunk
11-21-2008, 06:37 AM
You don't. As a southpaw you snake your jab up the inside of your orthodox opponents left hand.

You know the jab. Its an up jab that slips in between their gloves instead of a normal jab that always runs into their left glove.

I know you don't like me, but pretending that you don't know what I am talking about only does a disservice to yourself.

Aah, I was thinking you were saying that orthodox fighters should throw their jab on the inside of the southpaws left hand, but I see you were talking to a southpaw. Gotcha.

JulioCesaChavez
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Aah, I was thinking you were saying that orthodox fighters should throw their jab on the inside of the southpaws left hand, but I see you were talking to a southpaw. Gotcha.

He did say in his first post that orthodox fighters should do the same thing to a soutpaw, but nobody taught them this magic jab! In a previous thread he says when fighting a southpaw, fight like a southpaw. Someone asked him to elaborate so he went on about snaking the jab and sting and weave in and aout like a snake. both in this thread and that one, when me and other posters pointed out to him that not all southpaws fight like that (as it's just a mirro reflection of orthodox so you will get different sytles with southpaws too), he gave no answer! Because he has no answer and just talks ****e