View Full Version : headaches after sparring

TheFlyingMan
09-24-2004, 03:01 AM
I posted something similar before the forums was taken down, so I didn't get to read all the replies...

Pretty much after sparring, I get headaches even though we wear headgear and sparring gloves etc. I wasn't that worried the first time round cos I got hit real good, but yesterday I only took a few glancing glows and had a minor headache...

What does that mean? I think I've got a ****ty chin, so should I stop practicing? Or just hit the bags? I need all my brains about me for my day job, I spar and fight cos I love it, not to make money...as a creative person I need all my cognitive skills!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

m00ks
09-24-2004, 08:38 PM
I posted something similar before the forums was taken down, so I didn't get to read all the replies...

Pretty much after sparring, I get headaches even though we wear headgear and sparring gloves etc. I wasn't that worried the first time round cos I got hit real good, but yesterday I only took a few glancing glows and had a minor headache...

What does that mean? I think I've got a ****ty chin, so should I stop practicing? Or just hit the bags? I need all my brains about me for my day job, I spar and fight cos I love it, not to make money...as a creative person I need all my cognitive skills!

How long have you been sparring and how long has this problem been bothering you.

elveiel
09-25-2004, 09:29 AM

I get more headaches from my day job! :)

I depends how bad the problem is, i only get a headache after taking big shots, i have a good defence now so a rarely get them!!

It could also be your style of fighting, boxing is a head **** at the best of times! Maybe your concentration level is too high which can cause a future headache before you even take a shot!

I'm a very relaxed fighter, i use the ring a lot so i can take a break in the rounds. I think a my head would explode if i didnt!! :)

If that doesnt work you should think about seeing your doctor. Better safe than Sorry!

theironone
09-29-2004, 02:23 PM

If your getting headaches see your doctor.
I never got headaches and had an agreesive style so did used to take shot's more than someone who ran or moved, all i got was the general ache's around the neck and top of back and shoulders, then again though i did feel I could take a good shot, so mentally you may need to try to adapt (no disrespect), eg try to relax a little more when sparring and have more confidence in your self to take the shot's.
I'd say the best thing to do though is to restrict sparring if your not competing,(few and far between sessions) fair enough if you like it but if your body isn't cut out for it maybe you should stick to less brain cell reducing workout's.

acquitted
10-07-2004, 01:49 AM
thats because boxing isnt for everybody...just because u watch a few fights dosent mean boxing is for u

Mr. Untouchable
10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
That's a good point, who is boxing for? I watch a lot of fights because I like to watch fights. I don't like to streetfight, but I like to beat people up I have been hit square on the chin and didn't budge and when I hit people they drop to there knees. Do you think boxing is for me? I don't want to be a pro or anything, but I would love to see how it feels to step in the ring and win some amatuer fights...

paulmmv
11-28-2004, 02:31 AM
i wouldent stop sparing yet anyone who takes a few hits to the head may get a little headache try doing more exesice before you spar if that dont work take asprin before you spar

patto1984
11-28-2004, 03:54 AM
hot tip!!! keep ur hands up haha

FrankJack
11-30-2004, 02:24 AM
I understand how you feel, man.....I get headaches the next day anytime I take big shots in the ring. I don't feel it inside the ring, but I do when I wake up in the morning.

P@pasmurf
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
heh, that is important

Atwa_66
12-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, when I fight with friends I wear headgear, mouth piecem, the whole deal, and I get headaches too. I just stopped for awhile, and then started again, but my head still hurts after I do sparring.

drh
12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
if you've hurt your neck (whiplash) type injury from head shots. Headaches can haunt you for a long time.

Rest, strengthen your neck, and work on balance.

roXy graziano
12-01-2004, 10:43 PM
If that doesnt work you should think about seeing your doctor. Better safe than Sorry!

Definetely my advice. Even if you think you got an explinations for the headaches, if you got a doctor you probably wanna double check. Same with any unexplainable pain. If somethings actually wrong, you're gonna **** up your boxing and your day job if you don't find out!! I wouldn't be worried though... even with headgear, it's just not natural for a person to willingly get hit in the head :p

how long have you been boxing? Do you ever get headaches when your not boxing?

leff
12-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Fighting bigger guys will help your defence, tighten upp your guard and make you less ****y.It helped me alot.

Just tell them to go a little lighter to the head but keep upp the power to the body it will make you get used to it.

And remember punch dont get punched.

alberto_villa
12-02-2004, 09:53 AM
you get head aches because of the head gear....if its poor quality your head will hurt...it can also hurt bacause its new...the old headgears work much better when sparring.

Kid Achilles
12-02-2004, 09:33 PM
It's probably nothing serious but my advice is that you check with a doctor before you resume sparring. Safety should always be your primary concern.

abdiel2k3
12-02-2004, 09:36 PM
hmmmmm
its my personal medical opinion
that you are suffering from a bad case of *****-ides

what did ya expect gettin into boxing
plus ur obvioulsy looking for someone to tell you to quit

so ill help ya out

Quit its to much for ya

cms
12-06-2004, 05:21 PM
i agree with alberto villa about the headgears

Raekwon
12-06-2004, 10:29 PM
try not to get hit as much it might help :D

BoxingPromoter
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Don't go all out in your sparring sessions and tell your sparring partner to do the same. Sparring should be practicing accuracy not power! Problem is some don't think like that. I remember once I was sparring with this kid who thought he was tyson and we ended up trading bombs before our trainer broke us up! :mad: Best advice is to find a sparring partner who won't hit his/her hardest.

Hunna
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
hands up mate, also, you might have to do shoulder and neck exercises to strengthen that area, also consult your doctor. Then again, we all know what a doctor will say " QUIT!". So dont take their advice to literally. Chewing gum strengthens jaw muscles and your head aswell.

suetombo
12-16-2004, 08:40 PM
take a long break from sparring mate.. maybe you have early symptoms of brain damage or haemoraghe.. go see a doctor

Fistecles
01-08-2005, 09:32 AM
I've read everyones advice and you should look into all of it. But something I wanna know is how's your breathing. Are you exhaling during punches or are you holding your breath and tightening up. If you're not breathing you will give yourself headaches. Especially when under alot of pressure like boxing.

knuckz
01-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Ive started sparring and i guess the gent i sparred against went light on me it seems sparring is just practical instead of throwing power punches??? :confused:

ophqui
01-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Personally, i dont really get headaches as such, im just a bit slow an spaced out after taking a few big shots, i tend to recover within 5 or 10 minutes so im not too worried by that.

If i was getting consistent headaches after even small blows i might consider not sparring, its not worth risking ur day job over unless u love it that much, so its really ur decision.

Toller
01-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I've had a few sparring sessions and I got headaches during/soon after all of them. I get a headache quite often even when I just workout. I think it's to do with my breathing and the fact that the gym can be so warm and stuffy, rather than any real medical issues.

Slipx
02-09-2005, 11:54 PM
i never, ever, get headaches..ever.

boxernyc
02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Don't go all out in your sparring sessions and tell your sparring partner to do the same. Sparring should be practicing accuracy not power! Problem is some don't think like that. I remember once I was sparring with this kid who thought he was tyson and we ended up trading bombs before our trainer broke us up! :mad: Best advice is to find a sparring partner who won't hit his/her hardest.

I had a similar thing happen. I was going at like 70% strength but I was hitting this kid clean. Then his boys tell him to hit me back. By the end we are both bombing each other. What percent of power should a person use. And is it bad etiquette to just keep punching a guy if he doesn't fight back well? The guy wants to spar again but he is a load up on one punch type boxer whereas I am trying to throw combos and heavy body work.

RedLight_Traitor
05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
drink water and run alot. sometimes the headaches are because you are so exhausted

boxer Of thE World
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Well if non of this stuff ppl has helped you maybe tht big punch gave u a slight concusion and everytime u spar ever if u get hit light it makes it worse. see a doctor.

DoubleTap`
05-18-2005, 07:59 PM
After I get home from boxing sometimes I get a headache, it's not from sparring though since I don't spar much.

the_painless
05-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Do any of you get headaches from other physical work or headaches at your workplace? Maybe it also has something to do with your blood sugar levels!!! Seein a doctor would be the best bet.

msocearnaigh
05-19-2005, 05:52 AM
The best advice you got was go see your doctor.It may be expensive to get properly checked out(catscan etc) but whats the alternative.this is your health were talking about!I hope it all works out for you.

TheFlyingMan
05-20-2005, 12:19 AM
man, this is an old thread, i was surprised to see it resurrected.

Just an update to help others who have any problems like mine:

1) Yes it was a minor concussion, i got hit again a few days later which made it worse...loss of balance etc...so if your doctor tells you to take a few days off, IT IS NOT ENOUGH! Take at least a couple of weeks off, and maybe even a few months if you can stand being away from the gym for that long.

2) I still get headaches after getting hit by heavyweights...but I found that I sweat a lot, which could be it. Drinking lots of water during training helped, but ever since I started taking lots of sports drinks like Gatorade I have been getting headaches less and less

3) I've also heard that headaches are because your head is not used to getting punched, and that a lot of beginners get it. So maybe the fact that I don't get headaches as much anymore is that I simply am getting used to it!

Pugnacious_Z
05-20-2005, 05:08 AM
minor concussion: headache or dizzyness up to 15mins after the punch.
major concussion: headache or dizzyness for more then 15mins after punch in head

a minor concussion takes a day to heal properly. a major concussion takes 7 days. so if u get headache for more then 15mins, dont spar for a week

Mr. Ryan
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I actually searched for this thread because my problem is I think more severe.
I am a short fighter, only 5'6, so I accustomed to rabbit punches. Usually they bother me a little, mainly because of the fact that they are illegal infractions, but this time is different. I was sparring this kid Tony on Wednesday, and pretty much was in control of the less experienced 14 year old for most of the first 2 rounds. When we got on the inside, he hit me with a right hand to the side of the head, and then he hit me with a blunt right hand to the bottom of the back of my head, right above my neck. Usually I get angry and tell my trainer "Yo, what the ****", but I just kind of whispered to him "Rabbit Punch".
At first I was a little worried about the subtle headache I experienced when I got home, but was even more worried when I woke up the next morning and all the rest of the day still had a headache and was mildly dizzy.
It's now Friday and I still don't feel right, but I think it may also be that the sparring session coincided with the first day of using Hydroxy-Cut. In your honest opinions, should I be worried?

TheFlyingMan
06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I had dizzyness and a feeling of pressure from the inside out...that my head was a balloon that was slightly overblown...

It went away after a couple days, but that was a concussion. I took a few months off, actually thinking I should quit, but after a few months, I got back into sparring since I couldn't stay away, and everything was fine.

So I don't know how much time is needed. I have no idea what Hydroxy Cut does to you, but if it's a weight loss thing it could affect the amount of fluid you have around your brain.

I'm no expert, but what I would do given my experience is to rest for a few days, no sparring, no running (which does thump your brain like a minor punch), not even bag work. After a few days, if you're symptoms are gone, shake your head real vigorously and see what happens. If that's fine, ease your way back with light sparring.

It's better to be overcautious with this kind of thing. Your brain is vital, and you only have one. Don't listen to some tough-guy dickheads who tell you you're a ***** for getting worried about stuff like this, **** em. I don't think they've ever sparred before. All the real pros and trainers I talk to are very serious about this kind of thing.

zip
06-24-2005, 02:06 PM
I am a short fighter, only 5'6, so I accustomed to rabbit punches. Usually they bother me a little, mainly because of the fact that they are illegal infractions, but this time is different. I was sparring this kid Tony on Wednesday, and pretty much was in control of the less experienced 14 year old for most of the first 2 rounds. When we got on the inside, he hit me with a right hand to the side of the head, and then he hit me with a blunt right hand to the bottom of the back of my head, right above my neck. Usually I get angry and tell my trainer "Yo, what the ****", but I just kind of whispered to him "Rabbit Punch".
At first I was a little worried about the subtle headache I experienced when I got home, but was even more worried when I woke up the next morning and all the rest of the day still had a headache and was mildly dizzy.
It's now Friday and I still don't feel right, but I think it may also be that the sparring session coincided with the first day of using Hydroxy-Cut. In your honest opinions, should I be worried?

I would check that up dude, could be dangerous ****. I'm a shortie too so i know how it is.

Slipx
06-24-2005, 06:51 PM
im not tryin to discourage anyone but

i just gotta step up and say im so ****in happy ive never had a headache from boxing

and ive been hit flush by a somewhat respectable heavyweight's power hand hook right on the chin

never dazed.never down.shoulda been born in sonora yo.

dangerousity
09-01-2005, 06:55 AM

Hey man, I have exactly the same problem, even 5'6 and asian too. My brother had the same problem but his only last about 2 days, im on my 4th day now. What happened to yours?

bbos
02-05-2010, 01:24 PM

I experience the same phenomenon recently. I never felt headaches in my previous sparring sessions and I been hit very hard a couple times but I just walked through those punches, never been knocked down or out ever.

But ever since sparring a heavyweight who caught me with a flush right hand, even minor punches would bother me. Its not a full blown headache, rather its a buzz in the posterior region of my head, a feeling that something isn't right.

anyways I just like to state that I used to have a solid chin, I had good head movement so I don't get hit often, and when punches do connect, it didn't bother me at all. It is only recently that I realized my declining chin/ ability to absorb punishment. Oh well, looks like time for me to hang it up before its too late.

Craigy
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
How's your neck?

SplitSecond
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
water.............