View Full Version : Starting up...

Wyson
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I've been wondering. I'm a relatively "new" young boxer that would like to start to take it more seriously. Does anyone know how i can get started up?

THE REED™
ripped fuel.... thats the first supplement you wanna be taking

PoetryInMotion
I've been wondering. I'm a relatively "new" young boxer that would like to start to take it more seriously. Does anyone know how i can get started up?

Join a gym.

ScottDBA
11-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Join a gym.
Yeah really, that always helps. lol.

But seriously if you want to start boxing, find a gym in your area. If you live in a big city with many gyms visit them all, talk to the coaches take a free lesson if they offer them (most gyms give you your first day/lesson free) and chose which ever one you feel is best.

If you've already joined a gym, the biggest thing you can do other than listen to your coaches is improve your cardio. Cardio is one of the (perhaps THE) most important things in boxing. You can't do anything when you are exhausted and you can barely hold your arms up.

If you've never done any serious running before start with three days a week running as fast as you can at a steady pace for 20 minutes. One other day per week run sprints. Sprint 50 yards, jog 50 then turn around and do it again for two minutes straight.

While you are beginning aim for 4 sets in 2 minutes, which means you get 30 seconds for each 100 yard set (50 sprinting, 50 jogging). If the first one only takes you 25 seconds, then you get five seconds of rest before your next set starts. This works best if you have someone else timing you because it's hard to run and catch your breath and watch the clock at the same time.

As you improve, add to the distance and time of your jogs, and the number of sets you do on the days you do sprints. Cardio work should not be easy, if you're not breathing hard when you aren't doing enough. You should constantly be increasing the intensity. Keep a journal of the time/length of your jogs and then number of sets of sprints you run to make sure you are improving.

Cardio work sucks and is hard, so try and someone else at your gym who is also just beginning and ask them to come do sprints with you so you can motivate each other.

You don't need to be focusing a ton of effort very much on getting stronger right now (unless you are a total weakling) you need technique and cardio, but one thing you can do that is a simple way to increase strength is do one set of as many pushups as you can as soon as you get out of bed in the morning and again right before you go to bed at night. It only takes a minute, but you will notice improvements in the numbers you can do pretty quickly.

Wyson
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
THe whole in shape part isnt a problem. I'm around 5'10 5'11 and weigh 185 lbs. (mostly muscle....i workout a lot.) And i can run 5 miles without even being tired, its more starting up at the amateur level of boxing.

ScottDBA
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Then the only thing to do is listen to your coaches and train hard. Everyone learns at a different pace so only they can tell you when you will be ready to start sparring, and then when you are ready to start competing.

Good luck.

Chr0nic
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
THe whole in shape part isnt a problem. I'm around 5'10 5'11 and weigh 185 lbs. (mostly muscle....i workout a lot.) And i can run 5 miles without even being tired, its more starting up at the amateur level of boxing.

you can run 5 miles without being tired?

and i thought i had killer stamina

JulioCesaChavez
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
The best advice is to start running everyday so you have given yourself a chance. If you want to get sriouys about it then run, and it will help you be fit enough to learn how to box. also, make sure you are at a gym that goes to alot of shows.

Wyson
11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Okay thanks everyone. And yeah I have decent stamina haha, again thanks for all your help! Oh and does anyone know how to get started in golden gloves? I have no clue on this matter.....

mspiegelo
11-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Okay thanks everyone. And yeah I have decent stamina haha, again thanks for all your help! Oh and does anyone know how to get started in golden gloves? I have no clue on this matter.....

where do u live?

Wyson
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I'd rather not so online, sorry..but do you know a website i could go to to figure this out?