View Full Version : Motivation to Box !

FlaminGuru
11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
We all need motivation, and there are days where we just don't wanna do ****. But for me its pretty much almost everyday.

I've been boxing since i was 13, and i always slacked, I'm now 16 and i don't want all the years of experience to go by. I've always been the smallest kid in class, not only that, i always suck in sports, i have nothing to brag about, the only difference i can set myself compared to everyone is boxing. Yet in boxing i still have so much to learn, but I'll only get better at it if i stay motivated. Which i struggle to do so. Bad news is, i stopped going to the gym, cause academically I'm doing pretty bad so i took some time off. All I got is pads that i hit with my inexperienced dad, a heavy bag, some 10Lb dumbbells, a fitness gym that i go for school, and a skipping rope (and some shadowboxing patterns i can do to learn).

Is their anything i can do to stay motivated other then listening to an Ipod?

P.S - People sometimes ask me, like my teachers, friends and parents what i want to be, and i keep saying "I Don't Know" but in reality what i want to become is a "world champ", i know it sounds cheesy, but its everyones dream. I just like to imagine how ****ed up people will feel when they see me on T.V, it just gives you that hype.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, do you guys know any tips to stay motivated and giving your all? The only reason why I'm writing it here, is well, people could relate to me, and would be able to understand. Of course there's also flamers, douches and hecklers that just don't give a ****, but i don't care about them.

Hieu
11-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Look at these pictures. that's what motivates me. I don't get tired after looking at these pictures.

http://www.masisboxingbelts.com/images/WBC/WBCnew1.JPG

http://www.fighttoys.com/IBF%20belt%20(a).JPG

http://www.masisboxingbelts.com/images/WBA/WBAFrontGold.png

http://www.masisboxingbelts.com/images/WBO/WBO.png

I know that I'm so very far from that but it's my dream and it will definnatly come true.

JulioCesaChavez
11-06-2008, 02:55 AM
That is a good motivator. I have to admit I am an ego-maniac and fame also motivates me. I am materialistic so money is also a motivator! I go out there to impress and look for the KO because I don't want to earn several hundred euros a fight forever. You want to go into the 4,5 and 6 figure ranges so that's why you make sure your body is finely tuned all the time. Even if you are in the am's, think ahead. fame, glory, money. If that doesn't motivate you then just kill yourself. Also what B-Hop says in Beyond the Glory is also true!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BIx-__4yAs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BIx-__4yAs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I would regret that too. Even if people know you on local level, at least you ain't a bum.

LightsOut360
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Just take some kinda **** to get hyper and energetic. I never feel like going to my boxing gym until I take N.O. explode... which is suppose to be for lifting weights but it gives me a lot of energy after you take that **** you feel like running 50 miles. its amazing.

nirojsri
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I think you should go back to the gym it is very hard to stay motivated when you're at home at gym you're forced to.

My motivation to hit the boxing gym is for mostly women and to improve my fighting skills.

peewee1460
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8K_-ipFqlTU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8K_-ipFqlTU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i always watch this when i lose my focus. it's a nine part documentary. helps me get pumped.

The Jackal
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
We all need motivation, and there are days where we just don't wanna do ****. But for me its pretty much almost everyday.

I've been boxing since i was 13, and i always slacked, I'm now 16 and i don't want all the years of experience to go by. I've always been the smallest kid in class, not only that, i always suck in sports, i have nothing to brag about, the only difference i can set myself compared to everyone is boxing. Yet in boxing i still have so much to learn, but I'll only get better at it if i stay motivated. Which i struggle to do so. Bad news is, i stopped going to the gym, cause academically I'm doing pretty bad so i took some time off. All I got is pads that i hit with my inexperienced dad, a heavy bag, some 10Lb dumbbells, a fitness gym that i go for school, and a skipping rope (and some shadowboxing patterns i can do to learn).

Is their anything i can do to stay motivated other then listening to an Ipod?

P.S - People sometimes ask me, like my teachers, friends and parents what i want to be, and i keep saying "I Don't Know" but in reality what i want to become is a "world champ", i know it sounds cheesy, but its everyones dream. I just like to imagine how ****ed up people will feel when they see me on T.V, it just gives you that hype.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, do you guys know any tips to stay motivated and giving your all? The only reason why I'm writing it here, is well, people could relate to me, and would be able to understand. Of course there's also flamers, douches and hecklers that just don't give a ****, but i don't care about them.
Did you get 100% in GTA?

It must be hard trying to do 2 things at once & finding some time for yourself ive never boxed only done the fitness side so id have noting technically to offer but some dreams come true i know it sounds cheesy but ive live 1 hope you get there.

FlaminGuru
11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
hahah no i didnt, but i do like gta,

and thanks for ssaying that, i duno who u are, but i wont forget wat u said.

The Jackal
11-06-2008, 06:04 PM
hahah no i didnt, but i do like gta,

and thanks for ssaying that, i duno who u are, but i wont forget wat u said.
me neither managed about 98%

Have you won any junior tournaments & if so what did they say about your class are you orthodox southpaw.
I take you haven't had time on your hands with study & boxing & having some time to yourself.
All i know is you have to fully committed to boxing i have a cousin your age who's boxing at the mo his got his study + rugby & boxing no way he'll hold down all 3.

FlaminGuru
11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
me neither managed about 98%

Have you won any junior tournaments & if so what did they say about your class are you orthodox southpaw.
I take you haven't had time on your hands with study & boxing & having some time to yourself.
All i know is you have to fully committed to boxing i have a cousin your age who's boxing at the mo his got his study + rugby & boxing no way he'll hold down all 3.

I'm actually a natural lefty but i fight orthodox. And no i haven't fought junior tournaments but i have trained as an amateur boxer, and fought expierenced amateurs.

Lol the reason why u wont get 100% is because u might've used cheats in GTA.

I've beat San Andreas, and vice City, Gta 1 and Gta 2 but by far my fav is gta 3

The Jackal
11-07-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm actually a natural lefty but i fight orthodox. And no i haven't fought junior tournaments but i have trained as an amateur boxer, and fought expierenced amateurs.

Lol the reason why u wont get 100% is because u might've used cheats in GTA.

I've beat San Andreas, and vice City, Gta 1 and Gta 2 but by far my fav is gta 3
IT most be hard so to keep your stance & balance or a lot of focus to keep Ortodox.
Montreal must be still ringing with the sound of the punches thrown in Duran v Leonard-1

I never played GTA 1 & 2 but played the rest let me put it this way GTA-3 took over my life ha ha a few times it won't get too many mentions because of the success of Vice City & San Andreas i thought San Andreas was great too evolution speaks volumes for it.
Have you played GTA-4?

bbos
11-07-2008, 04:41 AM
maybe boxing isnt for you? dont look for external factors for motivation, those are only temperory.

if you are coming onto an internet boxing forum to look for motivations to box, then clearly you are heading towards the wrong direction.

JulioCesaChavez
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Maybe he just needs a little push! I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say just enjoy your bopxing and give it your best. When you are good at it, hunger for success will motivate you automatically. If you don't end up too good at it, then please do stick around and enjoy the sport! Boxing is fun, and for everyone! It is good for your health and good for self defence anyway. Just think about it: you have nothing to lose. The harder you train, the more you benefit. Even if you do not make it you have done alot for your health and your self defence skills. Well done.

FlaminGuru
11-07-2008, 05:55 PM
maybe boxing isnt for you? dont look for external factors for motivation, those are only temperory.

if you are coming onto an internet boxing forum to look for motivations to box, then clearly you are heading towards the wrong direction.

well, i know what you mean, i always thought to myself saying "maybe, this sport isnt just for me". i once quit, but came back 2 weeks later, i'm a type of guy, when i'm extremely motivated, i'll train my ass off, but when i'm not, i jus slack and train and only give like 65%. I've tried to quit, i've always said to myself that i don't wanna do this, but i keep coming back, boxings one of those sports that will stick to me my whole life.

FlaminGuru
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Maybe he just needs a little push! I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say just enjoy your bopxing and give it your best. When you are good at it, hunger for success will motivate you automatically. If you don't end up too good at it, then please do stick around and enjoy the sport! Boxing is fun, and for everyone! It is good for your health and good for self defence anyway. Just think about it: you have nothing to lose. The harder you train, the more you benefit. Even if you do not make it you have done alot for your health and your self defence skills. Well done.

I wouldnt say that i'm "good" i will say that i am a bit over average, i mean i picked up boxing much faster then people in my gym. i just have a hard time focusing, so compared to people liek you or w/e, i just wanna know how you stay focused, i mean i got no one to talk to, my mom doesnt know **** bout boxing, neitehr does my sis, or my dad, my friends or my teacher for goodness sake!

FlaminGuru
11-07-2008, 06:01 PM
IT most be hard so to keep your stance & balance or a lot of focus to keep Ortodox.
Montreal must be still ringing with the sound of the punches thrown in Duran v Leonard-1

I never played GTA 1 & 2 but played the rest let me put it this way GTA-3 took over my life ha ha a few times it won't get too many mentions because of the success of Vice City & San Andreas i thought San Andreas was great too evolution speaks volumes for it.
Have you played GTA-4?

LOL, no actually i feel more comfortable fighting orthodox, and i can maximize on my left hook, i was actualy transformed into a orthodox because my coach says if you can fight orthodox and southpaw, then itis a win-win situation, funny thing is, i'm so used to orthodox, i dont ever feel like switching back to southpaw.

Ya GTA 3 has pretty much been overshadowed by all the other series, but something about GTA 3 stuck to me. It's probably the GTA intro theme song, the NOIR graphics, and killing that ***** Catalina when she tries to kill you. By far he's also my favorite character :P

I have played GTA 4 on my friends 360, and for the few days that i played it with him, the driving in the game is atrocious, I'm gonna get it for the PC when it releases. But for some reason i think GTA 4 lost its touch, i miss the funny radio talks, and the killing frenzies, blowing up people with tanks, and the fun missions.

The Jackal
11-07-2008, 06:45 PM
LOL, no actually i feel more comfortable fighting orthodox, and i can maximize on my left hook, i was actualy transformed into a orthodox because my coach says if you can fight orthodox and southpaw, then itis a win-win situation, funny thing is, i'm so used to orthodox, i dont ever feel like switching back to southpaw.

Ya GTA 3 has pretty much been overshadowed by all the other series, but something about GTA 3 stuck to me. It's probably the GTA intro theme song, the NOIR graphics, and killing that ***** Catalina when she tries to kill you. By far he's also my favorite character :P

I have played GTA 4 on my friends 360, and for the few days that i played it with him, the driving in the game is atrocious, I'm gonna get it for the PC when it releases. But for some reason i think GTA 4 lost its touch, i miss the funny radio talks, and the killing frenzies, blowing up people with tanks, and the fun missions.
Well that's a good thing that you can stay orthodox & you can turn southpaw & switch hit your opponent will be very confuse.
IL tell you should focus hard turn you body into a machine take all negative **** going on in your life & take it into the gym & use it as controlled aggression try that for a few weeks & mentally it might work take all thoughts out of your mind & just see what awaits you threw all the training once your mentally tuned you will physically fall into place becoming a mind & body not to be broken or cant be broken do not allow anyone to break your will to win winning is everything i loved winning in everything i done & sports you have to be ruthless in mind & as i said the body will follow & if you get support from your family & friends it maybe a great help if you want to win you must first win in the gym by the your mind & body into a boxing machine that can't be broke get lost in the sport do more training than your doing & up the miles you do lift more weights etc.
Hope this helps you.

I hear GTA-4 is very hard ive given my ps2 & about 20 games to my cousin don't play anymore just indulge in my hobby boxing.Still though id would love to GTA-3 + VICE CITY & SAN ANDREASE.

PS Your young & have everything to make as a boxer i never had that opportunity so you should just go with it hope you do i would have loved to train myself to the point that in my mind no 1 can beat.

JulioCesaChavez
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldnt say that i'm "good" i will say that i am a bit over average, i mean i picked up boxing much faster then people in my gym. i just have a hard time focusing, so compared to people liek you or w/e, i just wanna know how you stay focused, i mean i got no one to talk to, my mom doesnt know **** bout boxing, neitehr does my sis, or my dad, my friends or my teacher for goodness sake!

You don't need any of them. Keep focused on what YOU want. When I was younger I use to think external factors were needed for motivation such as apat on back and/or support. I have even had people being negative about me being serious about boxing from within my community & even some members of my family. The opposite of support! Learn to motivate yourself and you will realise it becomes easier as you get fitter and better.

FlaminGuru
11-07-2008, 10:55 PM
You don't need any of them. Keep focused on what YOU want. When I was younger I use to think external factors were needed for motivation such as apat on back and/or support. I have even had people being negative about me being serious about boxing from within my community & even some members of my family. The opposite of support! Learn to motivate yourself and you will realise it becomes easier as you get fitter and better.

People are always like that to me, even if they don't show it, they have this hidden jealousy to stop you from succeeding, and even though i hang around with these people, i tend to not talk about boxing as much.

But i understand rely on yourself, not others. If you rely on yourself, slowly people will start supporting you.

FlaminGuru
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Well that's a good thing that you can stay orthodox & you can turn southpaw & switch hit your opponent will be very confuse.
IL tell you should focus hard turn you body into a machine take all negative **** going on in your life & take it into the gym & use it as controlled aggression try that for a few weeks & mentally it might work take all thoughts out of your mind & just see what awaits you threw all the training once your mentally tuned you will physically fall into place becoming a mind & body not to be broken or cant be broken do not allow anyone to break your will to win winning is everything i loved winning in everything i done & sports you have to be ruthless in mind & as i said the body will follow & if you get support from your family & friends it maybe a great help if you want to win you must first win in the gym by the your mind & body into a boxing machine that can't be broke get lost in the sport do more training than your doing & up the miles you do lift more weights etc.
Hope this helps you.

I hear GTA-4 is very hard ive given my ps2 & about 20 games to my cousin don't play anymore just indulge in my hobby boxing.Still though id would love to GTA-3 + VICE CITY & SAN ANDREASE.

PS Your young & have everything to make as a boxer i never had that opportunity so you should just go with it hope you do i would have loved to train myself to the point that in my mind no 1 can beat.

Thank you i will keep that in mind ! :boxing:

JayCoe
11-08-2008, 01:20 PM
What people who don't do boxing don't like to take into account is the amount of effort our sport takes. We're just amateurs right, we're just doing this for fun, no payment. We train between 3-5 times a week, Sunday league footballers have a training once a week and then maybe a match. That's their sport. So, in boxing, motivation is an issue.

The best way to motivate yourself is to just do it, sounds silly but it's true. One day last week I couldn't really be bothered to train, I was still stiff from some pretty tough training earlier on in the week, but I just went along and thought "if I get tired I can just take it easier", I finished the Uni' session, thought, pfff, **** that's not enough boxing, walked to my other gym which was open that night and trained there too, one after the other, the same night I originally couldn't be assed. The best way to motivate yourself is just to regulate yourself, I train monday, tuesday, thursday (possibly twice) and saturday. If i'm ill, I wont train, if I have work which HAS to be done or i'm away I wont train, they're my only credible excuses and i've yet to use one.

You know, sometimes doing boxing does suck, not because of the sport but because it does take up a lot of your time. When I go to the gym it takes an hours walk there and back, i'm out from 6 til 10:15 or so, then I have to shower, cook and eat. 3 days a week I have no evening, but I quite enjoy the fact that my life has abit more of a time table now. So just regulate it, and don't use work as an excuse not to go unless you've got an essay in for the next day etc. you have all day to work, just do it, and you have all non training days evenings to do it so just think ahead. Best advice I can give.

The Jackal
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
That sounds like very good advice i done the training side of it wasn't great at the boxing side of training i was serving an apprenticeship at the time & you know how they treat you they get every hours work out of you i used to work 15 or 16 hour days so eventually i had to give it up had i not had to give it up a long with others sports i used to play etc i would have totally ate + steeped boxing & it would be very good lifestyle + the fact you will always learn something new & perfect it you sound like you know where your going to go as far as you can i never got the chance to do it & it was 1 of my dreams when they opened a boxing club all id say is just go with it & live every min of it & rewards will be great.

FlaminGuru
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
What people who don't do boxing don't like to take into account is the amount of effort our sport takes. We're just amateurs right, we're just doing this for fun, no payment. We train between 3-5 times a week, Sunday league footballers have a training once a week and then maybe a match. That's their sport. So, in boxing, motivation is an issue.

The best way to motivate yourself is to just do it, sounds silly but it's true. One day last week I couldn't really be bothered to train, I was still stiff from some pretty tough training earlier on in the week, but I just went along and thought "if I get tired I can just take it easier", I finished the Uni' session, thought, pfff, **** that's not enough boxing, walked to my other gym which was open that night and trained there too, one after the other, the same night I originally couldn't be assed. The best way to motivate yourself is just to regulate yourself, I train monday, tuesday, thursday (possibly twice) and saturday. If i'm ill, I wont train, if I have work which HAS to be done or i'm away I wont train, they're my only credible excuses and i've yet to use one.

You know, sometimes doing boxing does suck, not because of the sport but because it does take up a lot of your time. When I go to the gym it takes an hours walk there and back, i'm out from 6 til 10:15 or so, then I have to shower, cook and eat. 3 days a week I have no evening, but I quite enjoy the fact that my life has abit more of a time table now. So just regulate it, and don't use work as an excuse not to go unless you've got an essay in for the next day etc. you have all day to work, just do it, and you have all non training days evenings to do it so just think ahead. Best advice I can give.

Hahaha, it takes me 40 minutes to walk to my gm, that just shows how eager i am to do it. I understand ur mthod of motivation, and you know what it actually somewhat works, because i tried it, when i didnt feel like, and all of a sudden i go absorbed to do it. Thank You :boxing:

FlaminGuru
11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
That sounds like very good advice i done the training side of it wasn't great at the boxing side of training i was serving an apprenticeship at the time & you know how they treat you they get every hours work out of you i used to work 15 or 16 hour days so eventually i had to give it up had i not had to give it up a long with others sports i used to play etc i would have totally ate + steeped boxing & it would be very good lifestyle + the fact you will always learn something new & perfect it you sound like you know where your going to go as far as you can i never got the chance to do it & it was 1 of my dreams when they opened a boxing club all id say is just go with it & live every min of it & rewards will be great.

That kind of sucks, but you don't have to particularly do boxing to become a boxer, it's also a great way to lose pounds, become lean, and just learn the art of defence.

Oh btw, i just finished GTA 3 in more then 5 years since i had the game.

Its me beating the last mission.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3XI2FXYQiM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3XI2FXYQiM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Jackal
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
That kind of sucks, but you don't have to particularly do boxing to become a boxer, it's also a great way to lose pounds, become lean, and just learn the art of defence.

Oh btw, i just finished GTA 3 in more then 5 years since i had the game.

Its me beating the last mission.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3XI2FXYQiM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w3XI2FXYQiM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Listen man i can't live what you got the chance of doing because i was in a bad car crash when i still had time to do i was still going to the gym the odd time but then in a few secs my life change to you a may sound like a wimp but you should either give it up or stop slacking & turn yourself into a fighting machine ive to fight everyday i live know but i welcome all the pain & the long days ive to beat it when you go threw pain & feel noting anymore then you can't fail win lose or draw just meet it head on id be glad to hear if you make it you would put a lot of time into GTA so why can't you do it with boxing i have 2 cousins who love it all day at it even when watching tv there shadow boxing with my uncle & thats saying a lot when my uncle is a pensioner.

Enzo & Joe Calzaghe's moto True cahmpions find a way

The Jackal
11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
:firedevilBrings back mems im sorry i gave it away to my cousin i did it something similar must say if you box as well as you play you must be original & **** hot.
hahaha great piece of cinema:bad:

FlaminGuru
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
:firedevilBrings back mems im sorry i gave it away to my cousin i did it something similar must say if you box as well as you play you must be original & **** hot.
hahaha great piece of cinema:bad:

i'm sorry about what happened to you, whatever god took away from you, he surely did give you something valueble or he will with time. What you said really did motivate me, and you know time will go by, and its either now or never. It's going to take a lot of work, but i'mma try doing my best and surely if ill ever make it, i'll always know how what you said and that you gave me a push. :boxing:

Hahaha, i actualy recorded that last night, it took me about 1hr. Just thought i'd show some people.

Well i'mma gona go skip rope, after what you wrote hahaha :boxing:

The Jackal
11-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Before you go ive a nice pic of a Canadian legend going putting into my albums know have a look in a few mins if you like.
Whats your fav Ali saying?

The Jackal
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
i'm sorry about what happened to you, whatever god took away from you, he surely did give you something valueble or he will with time. What you said really did motivate me, and you know time will go by, and its either now or never. It's going to take a lot of work, but i'mma try doing my best and surely if ill ever make it, i'll always know how what you said and that you gave me a push. :boxing:

Hahaha, i actualy recorded that last night, it took me about 1hr. Just thought i'd show some people.

Well i'mma gona go skip rope, after what you wrote hahaha :boxing:
Ive put up that photo of a Canadian Legend

Oriachim
11-11-2008, 12:37 PM
don't motivate yourself for fame or money, motivate yourself because you enjoy boxing and the sport. if you can't motivate yourself, then boxing isn't for you! sorry bruv.

Gojira
11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
without boxing id be big and fat. thats what motivates me to box.

JulioCesaChavez
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I think it's important to play other sports, just for your general athleticism. Amatuer football leagues bring out your competitive edge which makes you fitter. I always find I sprint alot faster when I'm trying to beat a defender to a long ball That's why they call me El Niņo. If you don't play football then play some other type of flowing sport such as basketball, ice hockey or thugby. I think gridiron has too many breaks and you'll end up wiht a fat arse like them linemen. SOme intense sport is good for a fighter.