View Full Version : can i do weights at 13 will ti stunt growth

smash ko
11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
hey everybody im 13 and have a set of 1.4kg weights at home with me i smashed my 3kg up wanted 2:) at the gym i can bicep curl 50kg and leg lift 165kg so im not for the feint of hearty ive not done weight seriously before and i didnt build up to do the above weights so bascially iv neva done weights will it stunt my growth is the main question because i really want to build even more muscle! even tho every1 calls me a beast now so what u guys think im also 5foot 6 n predicted 2 be 6foot 3

THE REED™
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
be nice people hes 13... i know what ur thinking... dont do it.

smash ko
11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
:P say it go on im 14 this month

Banderivets
11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Dont touch any weights man. Your too young, what you want to do now is build up the work ethic that will make you a big man in the future (if that is what you want)

Stick to pushups, situps, chin ups, use your own body weight in your exercise.

Do a lot of cardio so you carry that on into the future (something I failed to do, and I cant run for long if my life depended on it).

As much as it is tempting and as much as you wont to, dont try to get big, quinte frankly the only way to get big at that age is to get simply fat. You will never look like RJJ, these man look like that because they spent their whole lives boxing.

Stay away from weights for another good 5 years.

sukhenkoy
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Dont touch any weights man. Your too young, what you want to do now is build up the work ethic that will make you a big man in the future (if that is what you want)

Stick to pushups, situps, chin ups, use your own body weight in your exercise.

Do a lot of cardio so you carry that on into the future (something I failed to do, and I cant run for long if my life depended on it).

As much as it is tempting and as much as you wont to, dont try to get big, quinte frankly the only way to get big at that age is to get simply fat. You will never look like RJJ, these man look like that because they spent their whole lives boxing.

Stay away from weights for another good 5 years.

Yeah stay away from weights like Alex said. Especially if you're projected to grow that much more.

In fact, I've been doing bodyweight exercises for just under a year now, and I've become much stronger than I ever was when I did weights.

Stick to bodyweight exercises for now, and when you turn 18, you can make the transition to regular weights if you'd like.

ScottDBA
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
be nice people hes 13... i know what ur thinking... dont do it.
lol. :ok:

Stay away from any heavy lifting until you are at least 16, recommended until you are 18.

If you want to be a boxer which I'll assume you do because this is a boxing forum, getting big bulky muscles isn't what you want. That will just slow you down, make you get tired quicker (muscles need blood/oxygen to function, the bigger muscles you have the harder your heart and lungs have to work to feed them) and force you to fight in a higher weight class. Plus it's just generally not healthy to be trying to add mass while your body is still developing.

While you are young and learning, just focus on good boxing technique and developing speed. When you get older you can start doing exercises to develop power, explosive strength and muscle endurance to make you a better fighter, as opposed to just lifting to get big so you can impress people.

Southpaw16BF
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Dude just don't be messin with weights yet, there is a good chance it will stunt your growth and put a strain on your heart.

Smokin'J
11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Listen to them your lucky,
I started it when I was 13 now I look like Tyson in height.

ironjab
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
ive been lifting since i was 13, i turned out to be a pretty good height. the main thing to remember if you want to lift weights, is to go real light and do lots of reps. forget about what you read other guys are doing in the bodybuilding magazines etc. Read up on lifting techniques, make sure you are doing the movements correctly and if it hurts or doesnt feel right, stop straight away. but most of all, dont let anybody tell you that you cant be what you want to acheive.

Shambleton
11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
hey everybody im 13 and have a set of 1.4kg weights at home with me i smashed my 3kg up wanted 2:) at the gym i can bicep curl 50kg and leg lift 165kg so im not for the feint of hearty ive not done weight seriously before and i didnt build up to do the above weights so bascially iv neva done weights will it stunt my growth is the main question because i really want to build even more muscle! even tho every1 calls me a beast now so what u guys think im also 5foot 6 n predicted 2 be 6foot 3

Want some sweeties little boy??

You got a purdy mouth....

smash ko
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
another peedo^^^ bann any1? thanks guy well iv just bin to my gym in my garage lifting weights oops what about using medicance balls for core exersizes and all the medicance ball exersizes can i do them at my age btw people with the weights and mediance ball i have 2 days rest in between

smash ko
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
but isin't push ups and sit ups a form of weights because ur pushing up weights i dnt see the differnce

Landon S
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
but isin't push ups and sit ups a form of weights because ur pushing up weights i dnt see the differnce

lol smart kid, sort of. When people tell you to stay away from weights they generally mean heavy weights, if you did go to the gym you shouldnt be doing anything under 15 reps. Weights are pretty useless since you actually dont need them for anything since everything can be done with your bodyweight. Thats how it was done before anybody invented a dumbell or barbell. Some barbell exercises put your shoulders in a bad position and can damage the joints (machines are especially bad for this, DO NOT USE THEM)

So if you want you could do that but bodyweight exercises have alot of benefits and you can do them anywhere. You can get retardedly strong with just them, it depends on the exercises you do. I suggest doing some research on gymnasts and some of the movements they do. Alot of kids get into that at a young age and are incredibly strong with no real bad side effects like you can get lifting heavy weights at your age. Heres a few videos of some cool stuff you can do just with your bodyweight (these people didnt use weights to achieve theses things either):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuJ3T0sQ88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOVJhXU5Q0 <--gymnast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nvzuOImvw (hes using a weight but you can do them without it of course)

theres also one arm one leg pushups, free standing handstand pushups and more. I dont use this site but I know it focuses on bodyweight stuff so you could try there for some more information www.bodyweightculture.com

You'll want to add plyometrics to your routine after you get strong. Plyometrics are useless to a weakling. First you need to be able to exert significant force. When you can do that then to make that strength even more useful for boxing you want to be able to exert that force quickly. It doesnt make sense to be able to exert very little force and try to exert that piddly force quickly, thats like flicking somebody in the nose :-P

smash ko
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
ok thanks man "You can get retardedly strong with just them, it depends on the exercises you do." funnyist setance eva retardedly watta word ok but mediance balls for core exersize must help more because it will make the core muscle get bigger wont it? mediance balls r ok?

smash ko
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
wow man ur awesome were going to get on:) them videos r amazing the first one jeez i like the site also im going to go for the 100push ups in 10weeks wish me look

Shambleton
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Good look.

sukhenkoy
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Good look.

He asked for look, not good look. :sad6::sad6::sad6:

KostyaTszyu44
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
errm dont start weights too young

Cutthroat
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Tyson is like 5'11 lol....

smash ko
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
does any1 know any good triceps exeriszes dips r bad for you they give chest pains and them triceps pushup things relie on pure tricep which i need to build up to

Landon S
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
does any1 know any good triceps exeriszes dips r bad for you they give chest pains and them triceps pushup things relie on pure tricep which i need to build up to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZqfUbgmOU8
the more parallel to the floor you are the harder it is. It'll hit your abs a bit too which is always good.

Hey man dont focus too much just on the muscles "for" boxing. You will get most of what you need from the training itself. Getting stronger is all well and good but its the skills that are the most important being strong is important too however. Just dont lose site of the real goal which is to be a good at boxing not good at exercising.

Gojira
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
use dumbells. do a hundred on each arm every night and youll be a popeye like me.

Landon S
11-04-2008, 11:45 AM
use dumbells. do a hundred on each arm every night and youll be a popeye like me.

...popeye had huge forearms....

smash ko
11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
lol landon ur the best ok my arms etc r hurting from the weights yestersday well uno wut i mena so no exersize 2day boxin 2moro afta tht exersizes then rugby thursday fridya ill prob nt get round 2 doing them cuz thats party night woo saturdya morning boxin saturday night exersizes:)

Gojira
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
...popeye had huge forearms....

yeah, like i have.

TheGreatAli
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Don't do weights until you are at least 16 1/2.

leff
11-05-2008, 07:36 AM
i have to say i heavily disagree with the rest off the thread, as long as he gets and instructor to teach him the right technic and start easy, weight training will be benefitial like all strenghttraining, the growth thing is an old myth.

leff
11-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Don't do weights until you are at least 16 1/2.

why?

me and a friend started at the age off 14, i grew another 2 inches and he grew like 6-7more.

PunchDrunk
11-05-2008, 08:24 AM
i have to say i heavily disagree with the rest off the thread, as long as he gets and instructor to teach him the right technic and start easy, weight training will be benefitial like all strenghttraining, the growth thing is an old myth.

If he gets a competent instructor, I completely agree with you. The body does not care whether the resistance is your own body or a barbell/dumbell. To get "retardedly strong," you need heavy resistance, and the injury risk isn't necessarily higher with weights. I see more people getting injured doing dips than properly executed bench presses, for instance.

For kids (as with beginners of allages), the emphasis should be on technique. Diving in at the deep end before you can swim is not such a good idea...

Landon S
11-05-2008, 11:45 AM
If he gets a competent instructor, I completely agree with you. The body does not care whether the resistance is your own body or a barbell/dumbell. To get "retardedly strong," you need heavy resistance, and the injury risk isn't necessarily higher with weights. I see more people getting injured doing dips than properly executed bench presses, for instance.

For kids (as with beginners of allages), the emphasis should be on technique. Diving in at the deep end before you can swim is not such a good idea...

Yeah generally I dont say not to do a certain thing because of such and such but you'll notice I didnt say he shouldnt do them just that he should stick with more strength endurance like stuff but still have them sort of heavy. I have studied a little on youth exercise and most sources suggest lighter weights, it is still mostly unkknown what could happen (if anything) if someone of a young aga does weights.

I think bodyweight stuff is safe and a good way to go regardless because there is always a new challenge (just like weights...you can add more weight) with a different movement and if you are not ready to do a certain movement you wont be able to do it simple as that. Well thats not entirely true you can still do things with poor form but its not as bad as say...trying a barbell snatch with poor form and getting bent in all the wrong places.

Besides, check out those videos, theres some pretty sweet stuff you can do if you master your own body. It'll add up to confidence and confidence is a big thing. ne ways I gotta run before this post gets any more huge.

smash ko
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
lol ta iv watched them videos they are amazing 1 handed pushups superman press ups<< he was literary flying! and the triceps ive read and watched everything you have posted:) i totaly agree body weight exersizes press up situps pull ups are completely safe at any age obv not babyes etc i think have made a good acomplishment u ready for this ... my first very neat one handed press up oh ye woo lol

bbos
11-07-2008, 03:57 AM
lots of miseducated people in this thread, weight lifting does not stunt growth, its the wrong technique coupled with heavy lifting that causes injury, and sometimes to the growth plate which will stunt growth. You can lift as long as you master the technique and not injure yourself.

Your skeleton can not decipher the difference between the pressure from barbells/dumbells or bodyweight excerises, in fact, when one is running, there is about 2000lbs of pressure acting on one's legs, thats a hell of a lot more weight then squatting even 500lbs, so should we tell the kids to stop running because it will stunt their growth? no because that is a myth.

smash ko
11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
yes but it will affect the muscles not bone

PunchDrunk
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
yes but it will affect the muscles not bone

Are you saying weight will stunt muscle growth? :O

Viktor777
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
bull**** on being able to curl 100 pounds.

smash ko
11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
wna see lad:) jus cuz u curl 25 at 18

Viktor777
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
wna see lad:) jus cuz u curl 25 at 18

Lol, who said im 18 and curl 25? You'r 13 and can barely write.

Hey maybe you can do 100 pounds 50kg if you bend you'r back all the way and use a smith mahine at the same time. Dont act smart dumb ass.

Then again hey, maybe you can do it, good for you.

We answered you'r question. It doesn't stunt you'r growth unless you get you'r back severely injured.

MissDeeCole
11-12-2008, 06:26 PM

:pat: wwwwww

smash ko
11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
uv nt it dusnt stunt bone growth yes but what about muscle because tht will seriously mess ya body up if ur like mega tall n small muscles

Landon S
11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
uv nt it dusnt stunt bone growth yes but what about muscle because tht will seriously mess ya body up if ur like mega tall n small muscles

your making it far more complicated than it is. Just work out, its good for you. If you get sore...rest, you pull something...rest, you drop a dumbell on your head or you fall on your head and bleed everywhere...see a doctor, the only way your going to "mess up" your body is if you abuse it HARD. You'll know if your doing too much for your body.

smash ko
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
kk got it thanks guys

ironmike2008
11-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Forget boxing and learn some basic literacy skills you little ****ing rat.

smash ko
11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
why did he have to post it was a perfect topic every post help Pming mod about his ban

ironmike2008
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
You find my opinion offensive, I find your writing offensive. You don't possess basic grammar, spelling or punctuation, and if you did, maybe I'd be more willing to read your posts and respond with worthwhile advice.

Pathetic.

JulioCesaChavez
11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I second that. He should lear how to use full stops before losing his V. Kids nowadays have lost the plot since O2 made them free texting SIM's.

smash ko
11-14-2008, 04:37 PM
lol ino in english i struggle wiv full stops even though im in set 1:P

leff
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM

what are you talking about?

how and/ore what will make you tall with small muscles......please spend more time whan you write

smash ko
11-15-2008, 07:56 AM
well many theories state that doing weights at a young age can cause muscle stunt because when you lift a weight the muscle compacts and gets bigger some theories state that the compaction stays permant some state that the body thinks the muscles are fully grown so dnt need to grow no more i dont really understand it i need to look more into it

ironmike2008
11-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Try and stick to body weight exercises, and don't do heavy weights such as squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk.

Press ups, pull ups, dips, and bodyweight squats should be good.

leff
11-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Try and stick to body weight exercises, and don't do heavy weights such as squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk.

Press ups, pull ups, dips, and bodyweight squats should be good.

exactly how can your body tell the different if your curling ore doing pull ups?

ironmike2008
11-15-2008, 10:09 AM
exactly how can your body tell the different if your curling ore doing pull ups?

Because lifting a weight clearly too heavy for you increases the risk of injuries, which probably account for this 'stunted growth'. I was doing press ups at 16, it never harmed my height growth, and I have a nicely developed chest now because of it.

ironmike2008
11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
That said, he is only 13 and probably hasn't even had his first shag. Doing weights when your body doesn't have enough testosterone is probably useless.

leff
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Because lifting a weight clearly too heavy for you increases the risk of injuries, which probably account for this 'stunted growth'. I was doing press ups at 16, it never harmed my height growth, and I have a nicely developed chest now because of it.

the stunted growt thing is a myth get over it, strength training puts a lot less pressure ont bines than for example running, still you dont hear people say its dangerous and stunts growths.

with sense, proper instruction and technic weihts are only benefital as is all strenght training, you can train to heavy with bodyweights too, the body dont know the difference.

i and i friand off mine was doing weights at 15 never harmed us.

leff
11-15-2008, 11:27 AM
That said, he is only 13 and probably hasn't even had his first shag. Doing weights when your body doesn't have enough testosterone is probably useless.

bullocks at early puberty has full off testosterone, and even if the that was the case why aint bodyweight useless?

THE BODY CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE

KostyaTszyu44
11-15-2008, 07:32 PM
lol ino in english i struggle wiv full stops even though im in set 1:P

they are right you know, i can barely comprehend what you're trying to say most of the time

JulioCesaChavez
11-16-2008, 12:37 AM
You'll get pains in your bones and it will stunt your growht. Your bones will stop growing to get harder in order to stop the pain!

smash ko
11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
iron mike u sed u wer 18stone i dnt think you have a deloped chest

Salty
11-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Mate please learn to type legible sentences, heres a quick lesson for you. Before you post, reread your post outloud, everytime you need to take a breathe, put in a fullstop or a comma.

On the weights side, get someone to teach you the technique, last thing you need at 14 is a ****ed up back or stress fractures in your back. I highly doubt you can curl 50kg mate, that is quite the accomplishment for a young kid.

Personally I say learn your technique, talk to your trainer about this stuff.

smash ko
11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
ok thanks to deal with the 50kg its on a barbell its one curl not rep and if you saw me do it you know i was not at ease ok going for a run people

ironmike2008
11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
smash ko I've written a message recommending that you are forbidden from opening new threads until you have mastered the art of a full stop or comma.

Many thanks,

ironmike2008.

JulioCesaChavez
11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
It actually hurts my eyes reading that ****. i'm putting him on ignore if he carries on like that. They should have ultimate ignore ofr this kinda **** where you can't even click on view post or remove!!! generation text have lost the ****in plot, cunting chavs!

ironmike2008
11-16-2008, 04:30 PM
lmao^^^^^^

smash ko
11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
You guys really need to get back on topic.You start talking about completely different things

leff
11-17-2008, 12:55 AM
You'll get pains in your bones and it will stunt your growht. Your bones will stop growing to get harder in order to stop the pain!

do you have a scientific study that prove it?

cause its an annoying old myth that wont die

bbos
11-17-2008, 01:12 AM
^^^^^^ that guy is just trying to incite unrest, weight lifting and stunt growth is a myth thats been debunked for some time now, sadly people still believe in this aged untruth.

smash ko
11-17-2008, 12:22 PM
i use light weights like twice a week

Landon S
11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Holy crap internet folk argue alot. Weights=fine....Bodyweight Exercise=fine.

Bodyweight exercises are more convenient because you need no equipment. Another advantageof bodyweight exercises is people will generally know if they can do something or not such as a pistol. When it comes to weights theres usually some confusion how much weight they can definitely handle.

Weights have the advantage of being relatively simple and easy to learn. You can also make adjustments to the amount of weight and be exact.

/thread