View Full Version : do I have the shortest reach of all boxers?

bbos
10-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi friends, I been boxing amatuer for 3 years, I have not had a match yet but I have been thhrough a lot of sparring matches and through all this experience I find that I always have to fight on the inside very often because my reach is about 63-4 inches. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares my situation? if so what kind of style do you use?

sukhenkoy
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a similar problem. My trainers tell me I've got a smallass reach because I'm pretty short (only 5 foot 9) and stocky, so I have to fight on the inside because I'll get killed against a taller boxer. I haven't measured my reach, but I would think its around yours.

d_lyrik803
10-27-2008, 11:24 PM
i wouldn't consider it a problem. i have short reach, but i have a strong left hook (unorthodox), and work well from the inside. its essential for us smaller guys to be faster and more agile that's for sure, we have less space to work with. we also have to be very aware of our position at all times, surroundings and always thinking of different angle approaches. i consider it good, makes us more dynamic fighters.

having a good jab is the key, helps us get in to really apply our training.

sukhenkoy
10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Having a good jab for a shorter fighter? Really?

The way I always saw it was us shorter fighters definitely need good movement like you mentioned, but should be focused on slipping the jabs of our opponents and working their body, which would eventually bring their head down. I remember when I tried using my jab against a taller, experienced boxer, and I got completely punished. Black eye and everything.

Obviously every boxer should have a good jab, but I think shorter fighters should work more on working the body and slipping punches, as opposed to standing up and jabbing against a taller boxer.

FM3O
10-28-2008, 12:03 AM
In the pros, how exactly is reach measured?

ScottDBA
10-28-2008, 01:37 AM
In the pros, how exactly is reach measured?
Arms straight out to the sides at shoulder height measured across the body from fingertip to fingertip.

Although now when you watch boxing you'll usually see them use "arm length" measured from the armpit to the end of the fist.

bbos
10-28-2008, 02:05 AM
i wouldn't consider it a problem. i have short reach, but i have a strong left hook (unorthodox), and work well from the inside. its essential for us smaller guys to be faster and more agile that's for sure, we have less space to work with. we also have to be very aware of our position at all times, surroundings and always thinking of different angle approaches. i consider it good, makes us more dynamic fighters.

having a good jab is the key, helps us get in to really apply our training.

what you have said basically describes my sparring sessions, I fight on the inside, so when im out side or within range, I keep constant head movement, slip, bob, weaving and making the other guy miss. I can do this because I'm pretty damn fast but all that movement really takes a toll on my stamina ( my weak point), but yea I do like my style.

I study a lot of Mike tyson's fights because he is a small heavy weight and lack the reach, sometimes by 6 or 7 inches. I adapt my self to his style.

bbos
10-28-2008, 02:09 AM

The way I always saw it was us shorter fighters definitely need good movement like you mentioned, but should be focused on slipping the jabs of our opponents and working their body, which would eventually bring their head down. I remember when I tried using my jab against a taller, experienced boxer, and I got completely punished. Black eye and everything.

Obviously every boxer should have a good jab, but I think shorter fighters should work more on working the body and slipping punches, as opposed to standing up and jabbing against a taller boxer.

exactly, I rarely use my jab other then to measure my distance to know when I'm in my range.

I do enjoy it when I'm inside the guy and deny him the space to throw his shots while I tee-off to the body then head, I do agree that this style requires one to be fast and agile ( which I thankfully am), one also need good foot work, this is something I'm working on right now, that and my stamina is nonexistant, (too much smoking).

d_lyrik803
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

the way i see it the jab just distracts and keeps your opponent occupied while you inch your way in every jab thrown. yeah slipping works avoiding punches but its all rotation, its not like your displacing any distance between you and your opponent.

Southpaw Stinger
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Jabbing is all about timing, not reach.

Tyson explains all, so he does

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-EyLmgM9mWU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-EyLmgM9mWU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sukhenkoy
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Tyson explains all, so he does

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-EyLmgM9mWU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-EyLmgM9mWU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks for the video man. It explains quite a bit.

bbos
10-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Thats why I watch a lot of mike tyson fights, his style suites me well becuase I also lack in height and reach.

LightsOut360
11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Use Tyson style. Get in THEN BAAM BAAM BAAAM

bbos
11-07-2008, 04:44 AM
exactly, I had to figure this out myself, my former trainer tried to train me as an outside fighter, with my 65'' wingspan at that time my jabs couldnt even land.

JulioCesaChavez
11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
fight like Duran!

paul750
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Verstyle
11-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Once I'm in I'm like lice, tough to get out without the proper things.haha.

-Hyperion-
11-07-2008, 10:05 PM
the jab is extremely important for an infighter.....im pretty short...like 5'9, so im an inside fighter...and your infighting is much more effectve if you jab your way inside...dont listen to people who tell you otherwise...i mean, just look at vazquez-marquez 1 and then compare it to #2 to see the difference the jab makes......