View Full Version : Best Headgear?

rmz
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
So I know we've had some threads on this, but I thought I'd ask again as there are some new headgears on the market.

- Here's the scoop. I sparred about a week ago at my gym. This week I've noticed that the inside of my outer-ear has been slightly swollen. Today I noticed that the ear was very red and there was some blood on my outer ear. I think I just cut the skin a bit, but I'm going to the doctor just to make sure there is no internal damage to the ear.

So I'm wondering, what is the best headgear? I want to get one that has good padding around the ears. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

punchDrUnK MONK
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
from the online selection.. id say

GRANT / winning if u got mad money

or fight gear / everlast for like aroudn 50 bones.

rmz
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I wish I had the money for Winning Headgear as I have heard a lot of good stuff about it, but it's too expensive. I was thinking of getting this fightgear headgear, it looks like it offers full protection of the face pretty much and it looks like there is a lot of padding around the ears. Right now I'm sparring in some old competition headgear my gym has and it doesn't really have much padding.

Fightgear Headgear (http://www.ringside.com/RS/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={13b26b58-14c2-4977-b8f1-4002f8a0feb5}&gid={435217c7-0cf0-45da-8df9-ca3078401c8d}&pname=Combat+Sports+Gel+Training+Gear&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&)

I know some people would say I should just suck it up, which is fine, but I think I should take as much safety precaution as possible. Ear injuries can be pretty serious, especially because of the high risk of infection and the fact that doing surgery to the inner ear is very difficult.

punchDrUnK MONK
10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
fightgear is solid man no shame in rockin that

Eshays!
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I use the Cleto Reyes Full Face guard n its quality

http://www.ringside.com/RS/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={81fd8c39-24b9-4b46-a911-b8d93b66dcf7}&pname=Cleto+Reyes+Protector+Training+Headgear&Referer=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=cleto%20reyes%20heard&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=&

rj_ct
10-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I wish I had the money for Winning Headgear as I have heard a lot of good stuff about it, but it's too expensive. I was thinking of getting this fightgear headgear, it looks like it offers full protection of the face pretty much and it looks like there is a lot of padding around the ears. Right now I'm sparring in some old competition headgear my gym has and it doesn't really have much padding.

Fightgear Headgear (http://www.ringside.com/RS/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={13b26b58-14c2-4977-b8f1-4002f8a0feb5}&gid={435217c7-0cf0-45da-8df9-ca3078401c8d}&pname=Combat+Sports+Gel+Training+Gear&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&)

I know some people would say I should just suck it up, which is fine, but I think I should take as much safety precaution as possible. Ear injuries can be pretty serious, especially because of the high risk of infection and the fact that doing surgery to the inner ear is very difficult.

i back this headgear. good protection, visibility, and does not move around. not the "best" but by far the best for anything near that price.

rmz
10-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks Rj_ct. Just wondering, do you feel the ear padding is good? And also, how is the sizing, does it run bigger or smaller than other headgear? Thanks.

mspiegelo
10-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks Rj_ct. Just wondering, do you feel the ear padding is good? And also, how is the sizing, does it run bigger or smaller than other headgear? Thanks.

get the fightgear mexican headgear. that is the what 99% of the guys in my gym use, and it is really great for a good price ($69 off ringside). i use it myself, and it works great and it definately protects your ear!

MikeBrew328
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Does anybody use the "Old School" Everlast headgear?

Uchi Deshi
10-27-2008, 04:58 PM
How do the Fight Gear sizes run? I don't know if I'm a Medium or a Large?

d_lyrik803
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
i would get USA Boxing headgear if you're planning to compete. they have a little less padding, so might as well get used to that since that's what they use in am competition. just my opinion tho.

rmz
10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
i would get USA Boxing headgear if you're planning to compete. they have a little less padding, so might as well get used to that since that's what they use in am competition. just my opinion tho.

That's what I'm using right now, but I figure I should train in something a little more padded as I am sparring a lot more than I am competing. For competitions I don't mind lowering the padding, but for sparring I think I should increase the protection as I am sparring often. It's the same thing as using 16 ounce gloves in sparring as opposed to 10 ounces.

mspiegelo
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
That's what I'm using right now, but I figure I should train in something a little more padded as I am sparring a lot more than I am competing. For competitions I don't mind lowering the padding, but for sparring I think I should increase the protection as I am sparring often. It's the same thing as using 16 ounce gloves in sparring as opposed to 10 ounces.

yea bro. you want to spar in padded headgear, not competition headgear. for the dude that asked sizes, i wear an xl. i dont know my head circumference off hand but i am 6'2'' and weigh 175-180. if you are undecided between large and medium, id reccommend going up to the large because it can be tightened to get smaller, but if its too small, it cant be enlarged. i know a few people who got a size too small at my gym and they say its uncomfortable. i got the right size, and it is great!

d_lyrik803
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
^ you're assuming that competition gear has no padding although it does, i just want you to realize that.

ScottDBA
10-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Always better to spar using headgear with more protection - both padding in the head, and coverage of the face - than you will be using in competition. For every one round of an actual fight you have you will be doing dozens of rounds of sparring. You want your sparring to be hard so you can improve, but as safe as possible so you don't get hurt and have to miss training.

Obviously thicker headgear with more face coverage is going to be heavier than smaller competition head gear, but a few less ounces on your head when it comes time to fight isn't going to make a difference.

Mexican style headear with the cheekbone protection will decrease your vision a little bit, but the extra protection is well worth it if it stops you from getting a cut or swollen eye.

I've got this one from Rival.
http://rivalboxing.com/e/images/00-rhg2-e.jpg

It's got the cheekbone padding, which also protects your nose a bit from shots that come from the side. Also has more padding over the ears. Plus it was only $70.00CDN +shipping

mspiegelo
10-28-2008, 02:07 AM
^ you're assuming that competition gear has no padding although it does, i just want you to realize that.

im not assuming that. competition headgear has less padding than training headgear bro. i've never seen people in ny boxing gyms spar in competition head gear, period. i realize that competition headgear has some padding. thanks for the newsflash...

mspiegelo
10-28-2008, 02:10 AM
i can see fine out of mexican headgear. i have found that it is much harder to see out of headgear with a facebar, though i never tried the winning facesaver.

i wore an everlast facesaver for a little while after i broke my nose. it was annoying. it felt more like a giant helmet on my head than headgear and its harder to be slick with slips and weaves and. plus your peripheral vision becomes severely limited

antonio30
10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Grant head gear is really good

ironalex
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
ive got the winning headguard( the one with the cheeks, not the nose bar) and i didnt find it that good, luckily i got it at a good price tho, so i still use, and in my opion is a bargain, Title classic headguard http://store.titleboxing.com/classic-training-headgear.html at only 40 dollars, its comfortable, and offers good visibility and protection. If you are looking for the best protection, ive heard the winning full face nose guard is the best, however its like 400 dollars....

ScottDBA
10-28-2008, 06:40 PM
This one from Winning is $320USD.
http://winning-usa.com/headgear/headgear_fg5000.jpg

and this one is $170
http://winning-usa.com/headgear/headgear_fg2900.jpg

Winning products are supposed to be very high quality, but if you want that style of headgear with the face protection, Reyes, Title and Everlast all make similar models that are alot cheaper and should be more than enough protection unless you are sparring with absolute monsters and you don't have any defense.

ironalex
10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
FG-2900 i got, offers little protection, but super light, great visiblity. FG-5000 was the one i was on about being the best..