View Full Version : The Mental Aspect of Boxing

Juof
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
so i've watched alot of videos and it is said that not only do the boxers get prepared in physical shape but they get prepared mentally obviously the physical part of boxing is the training but what is the mental side of it???

Barndog
10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Its different for each boxer. Some boxers before a bout will be very intense, snappy, pepped up. Where as I used to go to sleep and could relax.

The whole experience is very mentally exhausting. Preparing yourself to do something you've trained for, for years. I will say one thing though - I don't think I've ever met a boxer who was scared/worried/nervous about being hurt. Only scared of not doing their best, or not winning.

DA1CATAS
10-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Its different for each boxer. Some boxers before a bout will be very intense, snappy, pepped up. Where as I used to go to sleep and could relax.

The whole experience is very mentally exhausting. Preparing yourself to do something you've trained for, for years. I will say one thing though - I don't think I've ever met a boxer who was scared/worried/nervous about being hurt. Only scared of not doing their best, or not winning.

WOW..... YO MAN THATS SO TRUE.. FOR me atleast... I just want to win...I'm not at the point of wanting to put my best foot forward yet.

if anyone understands that.

punchDrUnK MONK
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
yea ^^

and man the mental aspect is huge. defiently bigger then the physical part..

taking a loss alone is a tough ass thing to deal with for the first time. thats something i know unforutantly..
and the whole process of being in a fight it will truly test a persons mind, body , and soul
thats why i love this shiii+

sukhenkoy
10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah I defintely think the mental aspect is much bigger than the physical one.

A big part of it is sticking to the grueling training. Going back in the ring after getting the **** beat out of you in sparring. Eating right when everyone else eats whatever they want. Going back to the gym after suffering your first loss.

There's plenty of **** that will make a normal person crack and quit. That's what makes the difference between a fighter and the average Joe - the mental strength. Anyone can learn to hit a bag correctly, to jumprope, to do pushups, pullups, you name it.

peewee1460
10-27-2008, 12:28 AM
mentally i have ease myself into a mentality of '**** em' i have to completely commit myself to hurting someone. i notice almost a complete change in the way i think. it seems like my mind always wanders to violence if i have a problem.

Barndog
10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I think the whole thing about boxing is very mental. Without sounding melodramatic or philisophical, the whole boxing aspect is based around pain. You hurt yourself by pushing yourself hard in training, put yourself in danger in sparring then in the ring. It's a very strange hobby to have.