View Full Version : footwork

Juof
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
ok so ive been boxing for about 8 months now and have a fight coming up next month i am 6ft 4 and weight 73kg and i have fast hands but one thing i really lack is my footwork theres a kid in the gym whos footwork is really good and i want to have footwork like it

also would you say i train enough
i skip 30 mins a day
i run about 2 miles a day
and i go to boxing gym 4 days a week for 2 hours
when i get home i shadow box for a hour
i do my sit ups and push ups in the morining
i just turned 17 and i know iv'e started late but its a sport i love doing also how could i get mentally prepared for my fight as i know i will be nervous a few days before the fight

many thanks jamie.

Nacho_Analstain
10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I got good footwork by jumping off a huge bridge with my feet tied together.

Do it you dirty whore! DO IT!

Sorry.

Juof
10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
:P seriously though i need some footwork drills as my footwork sucks

Oriachim
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
You'll never get good foot work by shadow boxing the incorrect way, so best bet is to ask your coach on his 2cs of your footwork and then work on it. My mate said a good way is to tie a rope to both legs a certain distance, then move about.

BennyST
10-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah, get your basic footwork drills from your coach or whatever you've been doing already and start focusing on building up your side to side and turning movements. Use the heavybag as an opponent and practice spinning and turning as well as lateral movement.

Just remember that you should never cross your feet. Always move first with the foot that is closest to the direction you're moving in. If you don't it will slow you down a lot. Also do some skipping with ankle weights with very busy footwork routine. You can also do your basic footwork with said ankle weights. Focus on speed of your movement and balance while keeping your guard up.

ironalex
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, get your basic footwork drills from your coach or whatever you've been doing already and start focusing on building up your side to side and turning movements. Use the heavybag as an opponent and practice spinning and turning as well as lateral movement.

Just remember that you should never cross your feet. Always move first with the foot that is closest to the direction you're moving in. If you don't it will slow you down a lot. Also do some skipping with ankle weights with very busy footwork routine. You can also do your basic footwork with said ankle weights. Focus on speed of your movement and balance while keeping your guard up.

no, he shouldnt focus on speed of his movement as he hasnt mastered the basic technique of the footworks yet. there various footworks, like turning someone, finding angles, going back,forward side to side etc, i suggest you start off doing it SLOWLY and getting the right technique, the post which said "tie a rope ideal distance"-thats a good idea, but whats important is that you do it slowly and try and master every form of movement. good luck mate.

lasersguru
10-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Your post rocks!

PP---
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
A good way to improve your footwork is to take a couple of rolls of coloured tape (say red and black) and if you have access to a ring, great, if not on the floor but mark out a boxing ring.

Firstly take the red roll and tape an S figure, like a nazi ss s but a more flowing S without sharp angles do this from one side to the other. Then with another coloured tape, tape out a big circle, as big as will fit in the ring but make sure its close to a perfect circle as possible. Then on the inside of the inward bends of the S you need to mark two dots about the size of a horse hoof (one dot for each inward bend so there are two dots in total in the boxing ring)
Then finally take a diagonal X from corner to corner.
You will have the basis of correct footwork. The flowing S, versus the sharp angled X.
Practice movement side to side and backwards and forwards, ONLY placing your feet on the tape. It is hard but eventually can be learnt, and your footwork should improve drastically.
There are some spirititual aspects of this shape, and the lines represent meridians and energy flows throughout the universe and within the human body.
Honestly, if you tap in to these with your footwork, you will feel energized and very light. This can work wonders and emphasizes rounded and flowing movement versus straight line technique.

Hagler★
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
A good way to improve your footwork is to take a couple of rolls of coloured tape (say red and black) and if you have access to a ring, great, if not on the floor but mark out a boxing ring.

Firstly take the red roll and tape an S figure, like a nazi ss s but a more flowing S without sharp angles do this from one side to the other. Then with another coloured tape, tape out a big circle, as big as will fit in the ring but make sure its close to a perfect circle as possible. Then on the inside of the inward bends of the S you need to mark two dots about the size of a horse hoof (one dot for each inward bend so there are two dots in total in the boxing ring)
You will have the basis of correct footwork. The flowing S, versus the sharp angled X.
Practice movement side to side and backwards and forwards, ONLY placing your feet on the tape. It is hard but eventually can be learnt, and your footwork should improve drastically.
There are some spirititual aspects of this shape, and the lines represent meridians and energy flows throughout the universe and within the human body.
Honestly, if you tap in to these with your footwork, you will feel energized and very light. This can work wonders and emphasizes rounded and flowing movement versus straight line technique.

whereas i would normally be sceptical as im desperate to improve ile try this

punchDrUnK MONK
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
footwork is an art on its own... i use to break dance and it gave me such a head start on the food work... running and skipping will help ur footwork and help u be lighter on ur feet...

but either u got it or u dont...
u can try to improve ur side to side movements, and front n back...
jus do what i do
when i shadow box, i do a few rounds jus throwin as much as i can to work the arms..
a few rounds being 100% technical and imagining an opponent in front of me... and then a few rounds ill barely throw shots n work on moving n footwork.

it is a great way to extend ur shadow box training as well.

mr tricky
10-26-2008, 02:53 PM

lmao dont try this, i drew it out on paint and it comes oit with the chinse ying yang symbol thing lol,

really funny if sumone has taped this to their canvas lol

Hagler★
10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
thats what u get for being trusting huh

We want Floyd
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
ok so ive been boxing for about 8 months now and have a fight coming up next month i am 6ft 4 and weight 73kg and i have fast hands but one thing i really lack is my footwork theres a kid in the gym whos footwork is really good and i want to have footwork like it

also would you say i train enough
i skip 30 mins a day
i run about 2 miles a day
and i go to boxing gym 4 days a week for 2 hours
when i get home i shadow box for a hour
i do my sit ups and push ups in the morining
i just turned 17 and i know iv'e started late but its a sport i love doing also how could i get mentally prepared for my fight as i know i will be nervous a few days before the fight

many thanks jamie.which aspect of footwork are you having a problem with?

PP---
10-26-2008, 04:41 PM
lmao dont try this, i drew it out on paint and it comes oit with the chinse ying yang symbol thing lol,

really funny if sumone has taped this to their canvas lol

But did you try shadow boxing on it? I guarantee with years of practice you will have perfect footwork.

j
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
man, just simply practice left, right, foreward, backward, and diagonal stepping. practice slow and then add explosiveness.

i have seen the floor tape thing before. but it is better imo to use a center to move around or into.

j
10-26-2008, 07:43 PM
But did you try shadow boxing on it? I guarantee with years of practice you will have perfect footwork.

dude, what u practice?

MMA sucks!!
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
im new to this site. can anyone tell me how to post my own thread. thanks

Bendigo
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Place eight cones three feet apart in a line, and then do three sets of each of the following exercises: Weave through them at a sprint, weave through them while high stepping, jump over them with your feet together, and weave through them while facing sideways

PP---
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
dude, what u practice?

I dont practice anything, I box. I just invented this alt to take the piss outta guys like you.

:haha:

PP---
10-26-2008, 11:43 PM
i have seen the floor tape thing before. but it is better imo to use a center to move around or into.

Thats funny coz I invented that one for a laugh

PP---
10-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Another suggestion besides the ancient art of shadowboxing on a picture of a Ying-yang symbol with a cross going thru it is this other technique from the east:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SbJoClSaj2w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SbJoClSaj2w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

j
10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
dude, u didn't invent ****.

there isn't anything u can think of that hasn't been done before.

have u ever even fought? go to your local MA school/group and ask to fight someone. and tape it for us!

of course i can tell u are bull****ting, 'cause only a 13 year old or an diot would call that a yin-yang symbol.

just wanted to see how far your bull**** went.

PP---
10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
dude, u didn't invent ****.

there isn't anything u can think of that hasn't been done before.

have u ever even fought? go to your local MA school/group and ask to fight someone. and tape it for us!

of course i can tell u are bull****ting, 'cause only a 13 year old or an diot would call that a yin-yang symbol.

just wanted to see how far your bull**** went.

yeah right, you said you heard of it before but I just made it up!!

Thats funny. If you are embarrassed you should be! Lol

No offence anyway was all just a joke, why would I go to a MA group and ask to fight someone? that would be dumb. I havent got anything to prove, I box but I know **** about MA. I like MMA, Fedor kicks ass. I dont go on MA forums and tell people how they should punch tho do I.

Why dont you go to a boxing gym and do some sparring, video it and then post it? then we might take you seriously too.

j
10-29-2008, 02:19 PM
u did not make up ****. check out old school spanish sword fightng diagrams - that is just one example.

the camera was there the one fricken' day i didn't go! otherwise there would be video.

i do know and have trained in boxing methods, why don't u check your facts.

besides, i am not on here very often as this section tends to be an unintentional joke. and there are people here who would back me up.

for every one person who knows thier ****, there are maybe 20 or 30 who don't.

Landon S
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
u did not make up ****. check out old school spanish sword fightng diagrams - that is just one example.

the camera was there the one fricken' day i didn't go! otherwise there would be video.

i do know and have trained in boxing methods, why don't u check your facts.

besides, i am not on here very often as this section tends to be an unintentional joke. and there are people here who would back me up.

for every one person who knows thier ****, there are maybe 20 or 30 who don't.

Nail on the head. Basically all I come here for is to post another link in my basic training info-LINKS thread so hopefully somebody will learn something about the strength and fitness aspect and quit asking stupid basic questions that any retard should know the answer to. The rest you just have to go to a gym unfortunately I doubt many here do.

j
11-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Nail on the head. Basically all I come here for is to post another link in my basic training info-LINKS thread so hopefully somebody will learn something about the strength and fitness aspect and quit asking stupid basic questions that any retard should know the answer to. The rest you just have to go to a gym unfortunately I doubt many here do.

yes, thnx bro. there are few people who actually are wiling to listen and learn or appreciate different aspects of the art of fist fighting.

u know, my MA teacher is trained in boxing. we even do pad workin training and before tournament fights.

yeah, we actually fight. we aint these tai chi old hippies many of these wanna-be boxing experts think of.

there are some bright, tough guys i bet that post here. but for every one of them, there is 20 or 30 guys who don't box/spar or think because they go to a gym they know it all.

mostly all the real guys i have met, including boxers, are always happy to hear about other methods. when you are in a ring, or a sparring session, u want any advantage you can get, right?

so, since there is so many so-called experts here with more training experience and knowledge than me(20 years), i just let them give advice.

and landon bro, i hear you. i don't post sh$t here anymore.

and if anyone wants to get to know me on the fighting basis, for sparring or drills, PM me if u live near chicago, or madison WI, or michigan.