View Full Version : my nose bleeds alot during sparring

nirojsri
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I got hit once in sparring in the tip of my nose and everytime I got lightly hit it spurts out a bit of blood and bleeds for 10 seconds. Then I got hit on the bridge and it bleeds from there now. Everytime I spar I end up with a bloody nose. I know I must work on defense but eventually I'll get touched by a jab.
Is there anything I can do to it? It's really annoying everyone keeps bragging
about how they gave me a bloody nose and it's really getting me pissed.
I been sparring for 3 months now I thought my nose would adjust but still no results.

rj_ct
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
you can talk to your doctor about getting your nose cauterized. i was planning on doing this last year, but i ended up breaking my nose. low and behold in the year+ since i have had a deviated septum i haven't had a single nose bleed.

sukhenkoy
10-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I have the same problem. A light tap and it starts bleeding like crazy.

Like rj said, get it cauterized. I had it cauterized about 4 years before I boxed because I used to get nose bleeds just out of the blue, and the cauterization cured it until I started boxing. I plan to get mine cauterized in the next couple weeks before I start sparring again.

nirojsri
10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
what is cauterization like? any risks and what is it like after and during the process. Did it cost you any money.

d_lyrik803
10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
funny thing u bring this topic up, on the night that this happens to me for the 2nd time. it is really starting to irritate me. i don't quite understand it because i sparred plenty before and this has never happened to me until recently, roughly 2 months ago when it began.

Oriachim
10-22-2008, 02:37 AM
I got this problem to! Its like one decent jab and my nose just explodes with blood, even if I am winning and outworking opponents, people seem to think they got the better of me just becuase my nose is mega weak. Never heard of cauterzing... is the process long?

d_lyrik803
10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
i read up on cauterizing, supposedly its suppose to be painful, i rather just develop a stronger nose i guess with more and more sparring. i think that last time the hit that caused me to bleed the first time around really messed my nose up and i still wasnt fully recovered, thus happening again last night.

Lovely
10-23-2008, 02:14 AM
how old are you, OP? i used to spar a lot when i was really young. i got bloody noses and eventually got a broken blood vessel... needless to say that sucked. i took time off and now, no more bleeding. maybe wait a bit longer.

Barndog
10-23-2008, 02:43 AM
one boxer in my gym had the same problem. go to the doctor, have it cauterised and come back.

d_lyrik803
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
so 2 days after i got bruising under both my eyes, so its safe to say it got broken that night, which sucks.

+= El Jefe=+
10-23-2008, 09:48 AM
same thing happened to me for a while. it turns out i har a ruptured vein inside my nose, so anytime i got hit even just mildly and i would start bleeding..

nirojsri
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
So is this cauterization painful ? and any other alternatives besides stop boxing.

+= El Jefe=+
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
So is this cauterization painful ? and any other alternatives besides stop boxing.

i just gave it time to heal. took me a coupleof months

sukhenkoy
10-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Haha. You box, and you're so worried about cauterization being painful? Even if it is, it will only be for at most a second, and it will mean you can spar without blood everywhere.

Cauterization is not painful. I had it done once and all I remember is just the doctor sticking some swab in my nose, and it stung for a bit.

You gotta decide what's more important to ya though. Either feeling some discomfort, possibly pain (depending on the doctor and your pain tolerance) and being able to spar properly, or constantly bleeding like a mother****er in sparring (and losing fights because of it) because you don't want to get your nose cauterized.

nirojsri
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't exactly know what cauterization is like and if it was as painful as pulling out a tooth.
It's way worse than taking a punch. So I'd like to know. I'm going to see my family doctor about it though. I just hope he doesn't say stop boxing since he is the same one that did my medical test for me.

sukhenkoy
10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't exactly know what cauterization is like and if it was as painful as pulling out a tooth.
It's way worse than taking a punch. So I'd like to know. I'm going to see my family doctor about it though. I just hope he doesn't say stop boxing since he is the same one that did my medical test for me.

It's not way worse than taking a punch. In fact, its not worse than taking a punch. It's not as painful as pulling out a tooth.

The reason I posted that was because it seemed to me like you are willing to give up boxing simply because you're scared to get your nose cauterized. If that's the case, then I think you have no business being in the ring to begin with.

Oriachim
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
It's not way worse than taking a punch. In fact, its not worse than taking a punch. It's not as painful as pulling out a tooth.

The reason I posted that was because it seemed to me like you are willing to give up boxing simply because you're scared to get your nose cauterized. If that's the case, then I think you have no business being in the ring to begin with.

Gee, he was asking if it was painful, not if he should quit boxing over it...

rmz
10-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Cauterization can be a little painful, like a pinch, but it will stop hurting pretty fast depending on the person. If it stops the nose bleeding it is probably worth it. Talk with your doctor about other options if you're worried. I've heard of taking Vitamin C and cayenne pepper or something like that.

Oriachim
10-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Another thing, I got told my nose bleeds a lot cause it may be broke. Maybe recovering is the key to stopping a nose bleed.

ScottDBA
10-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Cauterization is not painful. I had it done once and all I remember is just the doctor sticking some swab in my nose, and it stung for a bit.
There's different ways to do it. That's usually the first way they try because it's the least painful (called chemical cauterization).

If that doesn't work you get the more effective methods that are more painful unfortunately, like using hot metal or a laser to burn the tissue instead of a chemical.