View Full Version : I found this pretty good program, I think I may use it and wanted to share...

spinksjinx
11-05-2004, 10:18 PM
I found this workout in a combat book at the library at my school and came home and gave it a try, I must say it worked my entire body and felt like pure hell afterwards...Its quick and Hard....

It's a form of calisthenics

Straight Hindu Squats (works lower body)-Do them until you literally cant do them, dont do them in repetitions but continous and stop when you cant do anymore (try to get atleast 25-50 in and build yourself up)

Hindu Pushups-(works arms/chest upperbody)-Shoot for 25 and once again build yourself up and go til you cant do anymore

Back Bridging-neck/back/thighs/hips/butt-

*CAN BE DANGEROUS WITH IMPROPER FORM*

place all the weight on your forehead and not on top,arch your entire back and relax your shoulders and neck until your nose touches the floor.

TAKE YOUR TIME

You can even use your hands to help you when first starting out dont rush,Once comfortable rock back and forth for about 10-20 times and hold it for as long as possibly 3-5 minutes is a good length once you get the hang of it.

Incorporate this w/ abdominal exercises and you got your whole body worked out in a matter of minutes.

These can be done everyday as well....

This is probably the most complete overall bodywork that seems pretty effective and I might drop the weights for more calisthenics like these...

Hope this helps someone.

maxpayne
11-06-2004, 01:40 AM
sounds brutal i'll give it a try later this week

Dyl-G
11-06-2004, 01:56 AM
i looked and i cant find a website that tells you how to do it they just have little still shot pictures, do u have a link that tells you how to do it?

blockburna944
11-06-2004, 02:10 AM
i looked and i cant find a website that tells you how to do it they just have little still shot pictures, do u have a link that tells you how to do it?

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm - should help you out.

That does sound like a good workout, i'll have to try it this weekend.

spinksjinx
11-06-2004, 08:04 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

Their is details on how to do the bridge.

boxer2k5
11-06-2004, 11:41 AM
thats nothing i was doing handstand pushups when i was 8months old

blockburna944
11-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Spinks, is that Matt Furey's book you got from your library? Would you recommend it for training information from what you have read so far?

acquitted
11-07-2004, 10:28 AM
i cant do hindu squats..my knees are always sore..and for the hindu push-ups..they look confusing as hell

spinksjinx
11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
blockburna-Yes and yes, so far from what I have read it seems to make sense and has some good techniques in it and I am going to incorporate it into my training beginning this week, I plan on reporting the results back here as soon as I see some....Although im still a bit delirious on cutting out a workout plan for only 3-4 exercises although all of them seem pretty brutal.

Acquitted-Try a joint supplement to lubricant your joints maybe that would help, I have bad knees as well.

Hindu Pushups

1-lift yourself with your arms and your legs spread and butt in air
2-Bring down butt and face to the floor
3-Keep lower body down and rise up your upper body

Kind of like a swan...Dont know if you understand that but I would be willing to do them myself and post a video if that would help you out?

Anyone tried the bridge yet? I did it w/ my weight on my forehead for about 45 seconds just testing it out and I felt pretty stretched out from it.

Nautilus
11-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Very interesting exercises. Will try next week.

spinksjinx
11-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Do you arch back or forward? Is this a wrestlers' exercise intended to build neck muscles?

I do not quite understand the description.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

Scroll down it has complete detailed description

It works your neck/back/chest/legs

Boxerdog
11-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Ima go eat a Hindu Cheeseburger and then go take a Hindu sh*t. :p

blockburna944
11-09-2004, 02:21 AM
I found out that i don't quite have the flexibility for the back bridge (cant get my forehead on the ground). Any suggestions for how i can get the flexibility i need to do that exercise without hurting myself?

puppy_dogg
11-09-2004, 02:40 AM
hey, these look great spinks. that back bridge does look a little painful though :(

spinksjinx
11-09-2004, 06:05 AM
blockburna, Try it starting out by using your hands instead, their is a good illustration right here.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19abig.jpg

I tried the hindu exercises yesterday, They didnt seem to effective at the time but I went and tried to bend down later that evening and it was painful and I only did 25...

chilly9876
11-09-2004, 10:47 AM
i wouldnt recommend the back bridge you can damage your neck and upper back with that exercise,there is too much risk compared to possible reward to bother with the back bridge

spinksjinx
11-09-2004, 11:06 AM
i wouldnt recommend the back bridge you can damage your neck and upper back with that exercise,there is too much risk compared to possible reward to bother with the back bridge

I did the bridge today for 3 minutes on the button and I felt it throughout my whole body, My neck was really tight like it had been worked hard but no real discomfort from it.

I understand that the risk w/ the neck and as I was in the position, I was thinking ohh god what if I get paralyzed but it was rather comfortable after settling into the right position.....

It is a great exercise from what I experienced today although I see the risk and agree with you, You could always use the hands instead of the head to balance the weight on.

boxer2k5
11-10-2004, 09:46 PM
them hindu squats hurt liek a muh ****a
i felt the burn on liek 25 and i went straight to 60

i couldnt even do the hindu pushups after that

i jsut got on the tredmil ran for 40 mins and did crunches and reg pushups
ill try the hindu ones tomm

spinksjinx
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
them hindu squats hurt liek a muh ****a
i felt the burn on liek 25 and i went straight to 60

i couldnt even do the hindu pushups after that

i jsut got on the tredmil ran for 40 mins and did crunches and reg pushups
ill try the hindu ones tomm

I did 50 of both, I felt a little off balance after a while doing the squats and when I finished I had tried the pushups, I had to do 2 sets of 25 to squeeze out the 50. I was shaking heavily and couldnt barely do them...They are quick and fast exercises but my god do they hurt lol, I am still sore from doing the squats.

boxer2k5
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I did 50 of both, I felt a little off balance after a while doing the squats and when I finished I had tried the pushups, I had to do 2 sets of 25 to squeeze out the 50. I was shaking heavily and couldnt barely do them...They are quick and fast exercises but my god do they hurt lol, I am still sore from doing the squats.

hell yeah my thighs still sore fom the squats

i hurt my ankle though form doing the squats
i kept falling off balance when i first started doing them
and i put my foot infront and hrut my ankle

didnt bother me much then sicne i ran for 40 minutes after but the next day i was at work in pain and OMG when i gto home i couldnt walk around the house

good workouts though i lvoe the sore feeling the next day

andreyd
01-22-2005, 06:35 AM
interesting exercises. thanks

jason100x
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
These are some real good exercises. I've been doing the pushups and squats and they are good to add to a workout regime.

NJFighter91
06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Calisthenics are awesome but Hindu Squats and Hindu Pushups are mainly for endurance. I've seen people do hundreds of easy reps 500+ and just have lots of endurance. There's a lot of better option bodyweight-wise for size/strength.

fraidycat
06-15-2006, 04:32 PM
In your sig, who is Ali fighting? Or rather, dodging?

NJFighter91
06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
In your sig, who is Ali fighting? Or rather, dodging?
Ernie Terrell

jason100x
06-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Calisthenics are awesome but Hindu Squats and Hindu Pushups are mainly for endurance. I've seen people do hundreds of easy reps 500+ and just have lots of endurance. There's a lot of better option bodyweight-wise for size/strength.

I happen to have found Hindu Pushups to have increased my strength and flexibility. I think I'm far more flexible in the upper body area particularly the lower back since I've been doing them. Another pushup which is real good is taking two dumbells that are round to put your hands on and putting your ankles on a swiss ball. It is a rather advanced exercise because your body has to work harder to stabilize itself when doing the pushups. I like that one alot.
Oh, and if you find the Hindu Pushups to be turning into an endless repetition formula you can try one armed Hindu Pushups, I'm just working on one armed pushups now but soon I intend to move to the one armed Hindus, those seem like they are very good for building strength, far more than just endurance.