View Full Version : Mir vs. Nog

75th
09-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Frank Mir started his UFC career debuting against a very high level BJJ practitioner in Roberto Traven (Mundial winner and an ADCC champion) Frank Mir who was a purple belt at the time and in only his 1st UFC bout submitted the Black belt in under 2 minutes, very impressive debut, Everyone took notice, even Nog was impressed (He stated it in an interview)

Frank was then pitted against UFC Veteran Pete Williams, Pete who had faced the likes of Kevin Randleman, Semmy Schilt and former UFC HW Champion Ricco Rodriguez had never been submitted in his career, Frank Mir in his 2nd UFC bout submitted him in 46 seconds, with a very IMPRESSIVE shoulder lock (My Favourite submission finish to date)
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6518/frank****inmirzn9.gif

Frank Mir in his 3rd UFC Bout was then thrown to Ian Freeman, a crafty veteran who held (At that time) a 13-5 record. Ian dedicated the fight to his dad who had just passed away, the fight was held in Ian’s hometown in London England. The fight started and Mir got caught with a right early, Mir to the fight to the ground and went for submission recklessly (A rookie mistake) Ian faught through most of the submission attempts but then got caught in a legit heel hook, He hit mir with an illegal strike and got out of it.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2994/mirvsfreemanaz6.gif

Big John didn’t stop the fight or warn Freeman for god knows what reason, everything went downhill from there for Mir, he gassed out and took some vicious GnP. The fight was stopped at the end of the first. This was Mir’s first loss.

David ‘’Tank’’ Abbot was returning , the UFC hyped him up to the max, they wanted to give him a ‘’gimmi’’ fight before they put him in the title picture, they pitted him up against Frank Mir, thinking Tank would do to Mir what Freeman did.
Frank in again, 46 seconds took Tank down and submitted him with a vicious toe hold, a very big upset at the time and a big win for Mir in only his 6th MMA bout.
http://i13.tinypic.com/8fdih4n.gif

Next up for Frank Mir was Wes Sims, Frank took him down strait away and mounted him, went for an armbar but Sims got out, he then began to stomp Mir, Sims was then disqualified.

Mir got a chance for redemption, He completely dominated Sims in the rematch, taking him down, mounting him and going for submissions, 1st round was a 10-7 round if i've ever seen one. Mir then won via Knock out in the 2nd round.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/SharkkAlt/simsmir2.gif

Frank Mir was the put up against the undefeated UFC Heavyweight champion in Tim Sylvia. Tim who seemed unstoppable at the time had a 16-0 record and had big wins over Ricco Rodriguez, Cabbage, Whitehead, Lambert, Gan Magee and Ben Rothwell. Frank Mir was a huge underdog coming into this fight,.
Mir put Sylvia in a armbar in just 40 seconds and snapped his forearm in half, the referee stopped the fight and Frank Mir was crowned UFC Heavyweight champion.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/SharkkAlt/mirsylvia.gif

Frank Mir was then involved in a very serious motorcycle accident, the accident caused a break in Mir's femur and tore all the ligaments in his knee. The bone had broken in two places, doctors told Mir he may not be able to walk again, let alone go back to fighting.
Mir was then stripped of the title and a interim Heavyweight champion was crowned in Andrei Arlovski.

Mir who was NO WHERE near 100% returned to the octagon a year after being told he may never walk again. He was put in against a high level BJJ Black belt in Marcio ‘’Pe de Pano’’ Cruz.

The fight started and went straight to the mat, Cruz landed a few strikes that caused a cut on Mir’s face, Referee Herb Dean stopped the fight to check on the cut, Mir told him he couldn’t see out of one eye, Mir showed great heart in continuing and was then stopped as he wasn’t defending himself.

NOTE: Mir was nowhere near ready for this fight; he went against doctors orders because he
needed the money.

Mir then got a gimmie fight in Dan Christison, even though Mir won he didn’t look ‘’impressive’’ he couldn’t train for the fight because of his leg and came into the fight way out of shape.

Mir was then put in against young up and comer in Brandon Vera, Vera who was undefeated at the time caught Mir with a right hook and a Knee, Mir was TKOed in the first round.

NOTE: Mir was still not cleared to fight by the doctors.

Mir then rededicated himself and got into fighting shape, he was also finally cleared by the doctors and was said to be in the best shape of his life.
He returned to the octagon 8 months late and scored a first round Kimura win over Antoni Hardonk.

He then was put in against UFC newcomer Brock lesnar. Brock Lesnar in only his 2nd MMA fight ever was favoured over Mir, Most people doubted Mir and said Brock would beat him (Including most Sherdoggers) Mir submitted Brock within the first minute via a Kneebar.

Frank is now in the best shape of his life, he has a chance to win back something he never lost and to win it back he has to go through one of his idols, he will be in shape and he will make it a fight, I personally can’t wait to see it.

I posted this at another mma site under a fake account, but since there seems to be a feeling that mir has no chance in beating Nog, I figured I'd post it over here too.

YUHHHHHHH!
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
This is very good reasoning. I think he will put a good fight up against Nogueira, but he needs to really work on his stand up.

Dice
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
That was a great analysis man, Mir is very underrated, and he has no shot in hell to beat nog, I'm still a fan, but he has no shot in hell although if he does win I have no problem giving you my cell number so you can brag endlessly

75th
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Let it be known, I also feel Nog is going to win, but I just wanted to point out a few things about Mir that makes him far from being some dark horse with no shot at winning the belt again.

number6
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
I think Mir was lucky to get this shot to be honest, a win over someone who has very limited MMA experience shouldnt have put him to the top of the ladder.Even though Brock has great potential.

Mir hasnt been the same fighter since the accident. I have not rated him too highly since he came back. Which was a shame because he was on a roll.

His sub game is top notch but i dont see him being able to sub Nog. I think his striking isnt upto much and his cardio has never been too good either.

Nog can match anything that Mir throws at him on the ground and he has very good boxing skills as well.

I think Nog will just box him until Mir starts to gas and maybe shoots in recklessly ends up in a bad spot and then gets subbed out. Mir wont last 5 rounds thats for sure.

75th
09-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I think Mir was lucky to get this shot to be honest, a win over someone who has very limited MMA experience shouldnt have put him to the top of the ladder.Even though Brock has great potential.

Mir hasnt been the same fighter since the accident. I have not rated him too highly since he came back.

His sub game is top notch but i dont see him being able to sub Nog. I think his striking isnt upto much and his cardio has never been too good either.

Nog can match anything that Mir throws at him on the ground and he has very good boxing skills as well.

I think Nog will just box him until Mir starts to gas and maybe shoots in recklessly ends up in a bad spoy and then gets subbed out. Mir wont last 5 rounds thats for sure.

By everything I've heard, Mir's cardio is 1000 times what it used to be, and it's laughable to think that he isn't going to come into this fight with everything as close to 100% as possible bar a injury.

Also, as far as him going in for a sloppy take down........I can't think of one take down that could be considered sloppy with him not being gassed. I don't see him coming in less then 100% for this fight.

Dorian
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
awsome gifs, i think he can beat Nog since nog isnt what he used to be but, idk, its a real toss up but Mir has a good shot

number6
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
By everything I've heard, Mir's cardio is 1000 times what it used to be, and it's laughable to think that he isn't going to come into this fight with everything as close to 100% as possible bar a injury.

Also, as far as him going in for a sloppy take down........I can't think of one take down that could be considered sloppy with him not being gassed. I don't see him coming in less then 100% for this fight.

I think he will be up for it, but if he is having his head boxed off at range taking damage for 2 or 3 rounds i think he may get desperate and frustrated, then he makes a mistake.

His best performances have all been quick sub wins, against this guy personally i just dont see it.

75th
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I think he will be up for it, but if he is having his head boxed off at range taking damage for 2 or 3 rounds i think he may get desperate and frustrated, then he makes a mistake.

His best performances have all been quick sub wins, against this guy personally i just dont see it.

Do I see him having a quick sub of Nog? No, but when it does go to the ground we could very well see the most technical bjj exhibition in UFC history as it's a toss up as to who is more potent on the ground; this can't be argued. Just as Nog's stand up is better then Mir's. Now has Mir's stand up improved, of course it has, so this match up to me is honestly a toss up.

Both men are 2 of my favorites, so I won't be disappointed either way. I just have a feeling Nog will win via split decision.

Spare Moody
09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
it'll be a good fight but i honestly see no way for Mir to win except referee stoppage do to a cut.

75th
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
it'll be a good fight but i honestly see no way for Mir to win except referee stoppage do to a cut.

Don't underestimate Mir, his heart is that of a lion's. This fight will go the distance.

I've got it at a 50/50 shot even though I think Nog will win via Split D.

Spare Moody
09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
oh i think Mir will definitely make this an exciting fight. but he's also going up against someone who's taken a lot more punishment in his career and never lost outside of a decision.

75th
09-25-2008, 06:24 PM
oh i think Mir will definitely make this an exciting fight. but he's also going up against someone who's taken a lot more punishment in his career and never lost outside of a decision.

Think about that.

StillUnknown
09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
i won't say Mir has no chance, but its very slim. Mir's best hope is all the beatdowns Nog's taken over the years slows him down even more than they already have.

i like Mir alot, but its hard to find a place in which he has a clear advantage over Nog. i see it being competitive early, then i expect Mir to gas and Nog to finish him late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd

vinnie7731
09-25-2008, 08:14 PM
good synopsis of mir's career.
had no idea he was still hurt when he fought d. christiansen. i can still remember, i was at the fight in vegas, had no money by saturday night of the fight but had placed 100 on mir earlier that day. that was a close fight and mir looked like ****. now i know why.

as for mir/nog, i like both of these guys and dont care to much about who wins. i's like to see mir win. anyway...mirs standup is not as good, and even if it has gotten better, i dont think nogs will have an issue cause he can take a punch. on the ground they are close, so this fight will be exciting

i still cant believe f-in lesnar is getting at shot at couture for the title. thats some of the biggest bull****. nog and mir are much more deserving.

YUHHHHHHH!
09-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Think about that.

Are you talking about him getting in a motor cycle crash?

75th
09-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Are you talking about him getting in a motor cycle crash?
I was referring to Nog's career where he's fought the toughest competition. I thought you where talking about Nog's career.

Smack
09-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Nice breakdown, it's going to be interesting.

Liaison
09-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Yeah great analysis there Army.
I have nothing to offer as a response to yor post but Kudos nonetheless...

Spare Moody
09-26-2008, 02:57 AM
I was referring to Nog's career where he's fought the toughest competition. I thought you where talking about Nog's career.

well i was talking about Nog's career. he's definetley been up against tougher opponents, more fights, and taken way more of a beating than Mir ever has. his results have also been more impressive than Mir's.

Mir got in motorcycle accident. Nog got run over by a truck. they've both had tough times outside of the ring and recovered. when watching them both perform i generally see supurb skills on both sides but Mir has occassionally faultered whereas Nog has yet to do so.

granted, anything can happen but you realistically can't compare backgrounds and say, based on that alone, that Mir has a chance. he offers nothing that Nog hasn't seen nor countered time and time over. nothing!

number6
09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Do I see him having a quick sub of Nog? No, but when it does go to the ground we could very well see the most technical bjj exhibition in UFC history as it's a toss up as to who is more potent on the ground; this can't be argued. Just as Nog's stand up is better then Mir's. Now has Mir's stand up improved, of course it has, so this match up to me is honestly a toss up.

Both men are 2 of my favorites, so I won't be disappointed either way. I just have a feeling Nog will win via split decision.

These guys are both top submission fighters, just out of interest who do you think will try and take it to the ground?

75th
09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
These guys are both top submission fighters, just out of interest who do you think will try and take it to the ground? Common sense would dictate that Mir would be the first to try; as Nog's stand up is pretty technical as far as a mma fighter goes, especially one who is also a force of nature on the ground.

But I actually have 2 buddies who train over in Mir's gym in Vegas, and they say his stand up looks like it improves everyday. I think it's honestly a toss up, but if I had to pick, I go with Mir.

75th
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
well i was talking about Nog's career. he's definetley been up against tougher opponents, more fights, and taken way more of a beating than Mir ever has. his results have also been more impressive than Mir's.

Mir got in motorcycle accident. Nog got run over by a truck. they've both had tough times outside of the ring and recovered. when watching them both perform i generally see supurb skills on both sides but Mir has occassionally faultered whereas Nog has yet to do so.

granted, anything can happen but you realistically can't compare backgrounds and say, based on that alone, that Mir has a chance. he offers nothing that Nog hasn't seen nor countered time and time over. nothing!

You made the point I was trying to get you to see. Nog is far more battle damaged then Mir, this could very easily play a role in this fight. Especially since Nog has so much scar tissue and such.

Spare Moody
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
ahhhhhh gotcha. well it could. Mir's been knows to be pretty dangerous standing up and Nog's last few fights were pretty far from his prime.

but we've seen him eat some devastating shots from guys like Sapp and Fedor. the ones from Fedor just looked, and sounded, like he should have been killed. he takes em......appears hurt........keeps going! Mir could land a hard shot, send him to the floor and just start wailin on him. But i guarantee you Nog will keep defending so if Mir wins that way then it's just gonna be a bad ref call. now THAT'S something that i can expect to see in the UFC.

75th
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
ahhhhhh gotcha. well it could. Mir's been knows to be pretty dangerous standing up and Nog's last few fights were pretty far from his prime.

but we've seen him eat some devastating shots from guys like Sapp and Fedor. the ones from Fedor just looked, and sounded, like he should have been killed. he takes em......appears hurt........keeps going! Mir could land a hard shot, send him to the floor and just start wailin on him. But i guarantee you Nog will keep defending so if Mir wins that way then it's just gonna be a bad ref call. now THAT'S something that i can expect to see in the UFC.
Or he could get him down and throw on what he often refers to as his "bread and butter", leg locks even though he is a bjj wizard; i.e.

Also, I agree with all above statements from you when it comes to Sapp and Fedor, they were just plain amazing.

YUHHHHHHH!
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Or he could get him down and throw on what he often refers to as his "bread and butter", leg locks even though he is a bjj wizard; i.e.

Also, I agree with all above statements from you when it comes to Sapp and Fedor, they were just plain amazing.

Plus the headkick from Heath Herring. People say the fight could have been stopped, but in my opinion a stoppage would have been ridiculous. Nogueira was fine throughout every one of these fights.

Big Right Hand
09-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Hey bro good thread, it's good to see you around. You back in the states yet Knox?

It really depends on which version of each fighter shows up. If Nog is wanting to keep it standing to take advantage over his perceived better hands and then just go to the ground as it happens and such. Mir has the tools to beat Nog though one way or the other, so who knows.

phallus
09-27-2008, 01:34 AM
the way i see this fight is it's the 2nd best heavyw8 BJJ guy agianst the best. i'm a fan of frank mir's since i saw his break sylvia's arm but he's almost a copy of Big Nog, so i'd think the real thing beats the guy who wants to be him

Huoliuhi
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
bump then lurk as soon as possible