View Full Version : UFC 90 Card Complete with Signing of Four Bouts

Palma
09-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Chris Insinna

The return of a heavyweight contender, a Brazilian turf war, and two crossroads battles in the 155-pound weight class highlight the final four bouts signed, sealed, and delivered for October 25th’s UFC 90 event at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois.

In heavyweight action to be aired on UFC 90’s pay-per-view telecast, Fabricio Werdum will look to keep the momentum going from his back-to-back TKO wins over Gabriel Gonzaga and Brandon Vera when he battles Octagon newcomer Junior “Cigano” dos Santos, winner of six out of seven pro bouts who has never let one of his victims out of the first
round.

Before the main card begins, fans at the Allstate Arena will be treated to three outstanding lightweight preliminary bouts, headed up by the clash between Marcus Aurelio and Hermes Franca. Not only do both standouts hail from the same city in Brazil – Fortaleza – but they are former teammates now doing battle in the Octagon in order to keep their title dreams alive.

Two of the division’s top young talents will also be in action, taking on veteran contenders looking to halt their rise up the ranks. Unbeaten Gray “The Bully” Maynard squares off against streaking Rich “No Love” Clementi (winner of six in a row) in one matchup, and the other pivotal bout sees Shannon Gugerty taking on Spencer “The King” Fisher.

Here is how the card looks completed...

UFC® 90 SILVA vs COTE
http://90.ufc.com/

Anderson Silva 22-4-0 Vs. Patrick Cote 14-4-0
Diego Sanchez 21-2-0 Vs. Thiago Alves 21-4-0
Thales Leites 13-1-0 Vs. Goran Reljic 8-0-0
Fabricio Werdum 11-3-1 Vs. Junior Dos Santos 6-1-0
Sean Sherk 36-3-1 Vs. Tyson Griffin 12-1-0

The following may not be broadcast...

Rich Clementi 40-12-1 Vs. Gray Maynard 6-0-0
Spencer Fisher 22-4-0 Vs. Shannon Gugerty 11-2-0
Ricardo Almeida 9-3-0 Vs. Matt Horwich 22-10-1
Hermes Franca 19-7-0 Vs. Marcus Aurelio 16-6-0
Josh Burkman 20-6-0 Vs. Pete Sell 7-4-0

number6
09-23-2008, 01:28 PM
This is a stacked card

75th
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
It is a solid card, but it will be a sin if Fisher's fight doesn't get aired as I feel either his fight or Griffin/Sherk will be fight of the night.

Mr. Beelzebub
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't think this is a PPV card at all. Why is Cote getting a title shot? Weak main event.

75th
09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think this is a PPV card at all. Why is Cote getting a title shot? Weak main event.

There aren't any other middleweights that have had any amount of "impressive" win streak as of late that Silva hasn't faced, so you add the fact that Cote can be fun to watch on his feet....this weak main event on paper could be fun for a couple of mins or whenever Silva decides he's done with him.

sunthunder
09-23-2008, 02:29 PM

Cote only got the title shot because Yushin Okami is injured. If not for that we'd be seeing Okami vs Silva which is much more compelling than Cote vs Silva imo.

75th
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Cote only got the title shot because Yushin Okami is injured. If not for that we'd be seeing Okami vs Silva which is much more compelling than Cote vs Silva imo.
I would rather see Okami as well especially because of the back story that could be built up, but Cote has won something like 9 fights in a row. I guess you gotta give him something.

number6
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Diego Sanchez Vs. Thiago Alves
Thales Leites Vs. Goran Reljic
Sean Sherk Vs. Tyson Griffin
Hermes Franca Vs. Marcus Aurelio
Josh Burkman Vs. Pete Sell

Could all be interesting fights imo.

Plus one of the top (if not the top) pound for pound fighters in the world is on the bill in Anderson Silva.Even though it may be a onesided fight.

Werdum has been on a roll aswell,although i dont know much about his opponent.(he should have got the shot before Mir.)

StillUnknown
09-24-2008, 08:31 PM
i thought Reljic looked pretty big for 205 when he stopped Gouveia, i'm surprised he can make 185.

its a great card with a weak main event, but with Okami injured, its hard to find someone else who's available that should be put ahead of Cote.

khelbanzon
09-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Gotta give credit to Cote, I think he deserves a shot with the Spider.