View Full Version : Affliction 2: Postponed To January 17

jakkups
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7069&zoneid=2

Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning,” is on hold.

The clothing company turned fight promoter’s second pay per view event, scheduled for Oct. 11 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, has been postponed until Jan. 17.

According to an Affliction representative MMAWeekly.com spoke to, the event will now take place in Anaheim, Calif. at the Honda Center, where Affliction’s first show, “Banned,” was held on July 19.

Sources close to the venue in Las Vegas say that ticket sales were abysmally slow for the event, which is believed to have contributed to the event’s postponement.

A formal statement from Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio is forthcoming.

Check back with MMAWeekly.com for updates on the situation as it unfolds.

jakkups
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
http://sherdog.com/news/news/affliction-leaves-las-vegas-event-postponed-14361

Wednesday, September 10, 2008
by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

The Oct. 11 Affliction event scheduled for the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas has been postponed, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed Wednesday to Sherdog.com.

Affliction contacted Kizer on Wednesday morning to inform him that the event would be moved to a January date at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Advertising for the Oct. 11 pay-per-view event had already begun, including in New York, where scheduled headliners Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett were featured on a billboard in Times Square.

Arlovski***8217;s management said they had not been contacted by Affliction with the cancellation as of this morning, and were ***8220;shocked***8221; and ***8220;extremely disappointed***8221; by the news.

Arlovski -- who delivered one of his more rousing performances of late with a third-round TKO over former IFL standout Ben Rothwell at Affliction***8217;s first event on July 19 ***8211;- signed a non-exclusive, three-fight contract with the new promotion in early July. He had spent nearly eight years with the UFC, where he was a former heavyweight champion.

Arlovski***8217;s management declined to comment on their fighter***8217;s next move.

***8220;Andrei was six weeks into his 10-week training cycle. He traveled from Chicago to L.A. to train for this bout, which he very much looked forward to,***8221; said one of his representatives.

Calls to Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio were not immediately returned.

Virgil Caine
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
That's too bad. I hope this isn't a sign that the promotion is going to dive, considering the success record of upstart MMA promotions.

Spare Moody
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
They've still got some kinks to iron out but UFC is doin a pretty good job at kickin em when they're down.

MJ406
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM
They've still got some kinks to iron out but UFC is doin a pretty good job at kickin em when they're down.

yeah true I heard that the UFC was holding up Affliction's Vegas debut in some form or another.

sure the canceled date is a downer and it could mean the end of Affliction quite soon

but at the same time, the event wasn't getting much mainstream build up and hype, with it being 1 month away.

and besides, maybe Affliction can come back strong in 2009 with Fedor, Vitor and possibly that Sylvia vs LeBanner bout.

it is bad, but it could work out well for Affliction.

then again the "success record of upstart MMA promotions"
has been relatively crappy which is understandable considering just how hard it is to not only promote events, but get fighters and more importantly get people to watch them

i don't see Aflliction lasting longer then 4 shows .. as the only other upstart MMA promotion I can think of .... EliteXC is like $30 Million or so in debt (i think even more then that)

Dice
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Dana White: DO YOU WANNA BE A ****ING MMA PROMOTION OR NOT???

jakkups
09-10-2008, 07:25 PM
yeah true I heard that the UFC was holding up Affliction's Vegas debut in some form or another.

I doubt it myself. Mainly due to the fact that the UFCs next 2 PPVs aren't even taking place in Las Vegas and they never did it when other promotions did. I'm sure it's what will come out on some forums and sites due to it being the perfect fodder for anti-ufc sentiments which seem to still resonate with some PRIDE fanboys, but I wouldn't believe it myself.

My guess is that reality has set in with Atencio and he has realised that going from clothing to promoting MMA cards isn't as easy as it seems, especially when you had plenty of help the first time round (it was a co-promoted by Adrenaline MMA hence Sylvia being on the card). He's either being clever and not taking such a big hit on his business or he can't hack it.

jakkups
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Here's an update

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7071&zoneid=13

AFFLICTION VP TOM ATENCIO ON "RESCHEDULING"

Early in the day on Wednesday, MMAWeekly.com spoke with an Affliction representative who confirmed that the promotion’s sophomore offering, “Day of Recking,” originally scheduled for Oct. 11 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, has been rescheduled for Jan. 17 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Affliction vice president Tom Atencio spoke exclusively with MMAWeekly.com to clarify his company’s decision to postpone the event.

“We not canceling it, we’re not postponing it, we’re rescheduling it completely,” he said. “It doesn’t make sense to do it where we wanted to do it, it’s a positive.”

Sources close to the venue had informed MMAWeekly.com that ticket sales thus far have been “abysmal.” Atencio conceded that ticket sales for “Day of Reckoning” were weak.

“Of course,” he said. “It was a business decision. We came out strong, and we want to continue with that momentum and continue strong. We don’t want to come out and be weak and have to give tickets away. We want to continue to be a force in this industry.”

Atencio declined to comment whether Fedor Emelianenko would spearhead the show’s new Jan. 17 date, but promised an announcement about the company’s future at the Marquez/Casamayor fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.

“From a business standpoint, we don’t want to lose money,” he said. “We want to be here long term. It’s a wise choice. This is definitely a positive.”

Palma
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Better to reschedule and plan for a better show than to rush into it and have a flop. Good decision on their part I say.