View Full Version : Chuck Liddell

YUHHHHHHH!
09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I saw him get dropped live last night, and the bar went crazy. I never liked Liddell up until recently, I always thought he was a show boat. Still, he is/was a great fighter and deserves respect.

I don't think we should be hating on him, I think of Chuck Liddell as a Roy Jones'ish type fighter. He relied on his speed and countering ability, leaving his hands low and still being able to knock people out. But I think now, just as what seems to have happened to Roy Jones, Liddell isn't quick enough to the punch, which is leading to all of these upset losses.

You guys think it's goodbye Chuck? Maybe fights a couple of lames to finish out his career on a good note?

Kakutogi-Gumi
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
G'bye to Chuck's marketability but no g'bye to Chuck.

He does need a new line of thinking.

MJ406
09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
G'bye to Chuck's marketability but no g'bye to Chuck.

He does need a new line of thinking.

or maybe just a new division? because I doubt his thinking will change as Chuck made the same excuse for losing this fight that he did vs Rampage (getting caught)

Chuck should move up to Heavy .. win 2 fights, and get to fight the Brock/Couture winner for the title.

it'll happen as if Liddell beat Evans last night, he woulda got a crack at the title having gone 2-2 his last 4 fights.

so if he moves up, IMO he's 2 wins away from a title shot.

Kakutogi-Gumi
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
or maybe just a new division? because I doubt his thinking will change as Chuck made the same excuse for losing this fight that he did vs Rampage (getting caught)

Not going to work if he gets Nog.

YUHHHHHHH!
09-07-2008, 02:27 PM

More like not going to work if he gets any of them besides Brock Lesnar.

Chuck would be a very small Heavyweight in comparison.

Success at 185?

MJ406
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM

he won't get Nog, Dana White wouldn't do it to Chuck like that.

im just saying though Chuck was thisclose to a title shot and he woulda been 2-2 in his last four fights.

If Randy Couture retains the title ... Chuck could move up ... face 2 cans and bam title shot just like that.

but what are the chances Liddell moves up in the first place?

th4l3pr3ch4un
09-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Chuck should move up to Heavy .. win 2 fights, and get to fight the Brock/Couture winner for the title.

it'll happen as if Liddell beat Evans last night, he woulda got a crack at the title having gone 2-2 his last 4 fights.

so if he moves up, IMO he's 2 wins away from a title shot.

if he cant handle the knockout power froma guy like evans how is he going to handle the power from a top heavyweight??

ABOSWORTH
09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
if he cant handle the knockout power froma guy like evans how is he going to handle the power from a top heavyweight??

I agree. He needs to hang 'em up. In his prime, he would have eaten Evans alive. He was winning the fight and made a foolish mistake and got countered when he threw an uppercut. Great win for Evans!! I like Evans and Lidell but I wasn't glad to see Chuck KOd like that. He was literally KTFO! I hope he's okay...

MJ406
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM

well what top Heavyweight's in the UFC are considered Power punchers?

Lesnar?
Mir?
Kongo?
Couture?

granted Liddell is going to give up a great deal of size if he moves up

but i just see a new division the best way for Chuck to go, because if he really wants to get back that Light Heavy title

Liddell moved WAY back in the pecking order and at 37 with 4 un avenged losses still remaining (Rampage 2x, Jardine, and now Evans) it'll be a long road back to the top as Machida, the Vera-Jardine winner and Wanderlei Silva would all be higher in the ranks ... plus Thiago Silva at 13-0 and Soko are up there.

where at Heavy Dana White can just put Liddell in with softer comp and let Liddell wreck havoc.

**then again if given the choice I think Fedor/Couture would be the bigger fight rather than Couture/Liddell 4.

but way to early to tell what Chuck's future plans are now as it is only 1 day after the fight.

"In his prime, he would have eaten Evans alive. He was winning the fight and made a foolish mistake and got countered when he threw an uppercut." (Quote)

I don't think your giving Evans enough credit, besides the devastating kayo punch .. look how Rashad fought. Sure it made for one of the more boring first round's I have witnessed, and yes Evan's was excessively mobile, but Rashad came in with a game plan and executed it to a T. Rashad def gave away the first round because Chuck was the aggressor, but that didn't matter as Chuck was playing right into Evans hands.

Liaison
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah he's timings gone to **** and he's lost more than a step in terms of speed. We***8217;re not seeing the kind of flurries like the one he hit Tito with now.

His punch resistance has gone aswell. Up until last year, he***8217;d never been one-shotted his entire career. Now he's been one-shotted two of his last 4 fights and almost got it against Jardine. Chuck has never had great head movement, so he relied on his chin an awful lot.

He***8217;s done and should retire

YUHHHHHHH!
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think he needs to retire, he just needs to change his game up. It wasn't Rashad's power that beat Chuck, it was his speed.

Sage84
09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah he's timings gone to **** and he's lost more than a step in terms of speed. Were not seeing the kind of flurries like the one he hit Tito with now.

His punch resistance has gone aswell. Up until last year, hed never been one-shotted his entire career. Now he's been one-shotted two of his last 4 fights and almost got it against Jardine. Chuck has never had great head movement, so he relied on his chin an awful lot.

Hes done and should retire

I m not so sure about that! The punch from Evans was a monster! Accurate, quick and had everything Evans has behind it! He would have knocked out anyone in the UFC connecting with something that perfect, text book over the top right hand!

Palma
09-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Chuck will for sure not be feared like he was in the past by his opponents. Especially by the journeyman fighters in the 205 division.

Spare Moody
09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
it was pretty ironic seeing him KO'd in the exact same fashion that he's gotten nearly all his opponents.

Chuck's always been a warrior though and he's not even close to needing to retire. but i do think it's time he starts adding a little more to his fighting style. he can handle the ground extremely well but we rarely see this because he tends to command standing up throughout his fights. i think he needs to focus more on being just as offensive on the ground for the future as he is in standing up right now. this way he still be just as ferocious with his striking through GnP but he won't expose himself as much to what happened Saturday night.

vinnie7731
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't think he needs to retire, he just needs to change his game up. It wasn't Rashad's power that beat Chuck, it was his speed.

yeah, i agree. chuck relies too much on the one punch ko. didnt he used to be a great kick boxer. you never see chuck throw kicks anymore. 1 kick i can remember is the babaloo ko........but other then that, i think chuck needs to change around his gameplan a bit and not rely on his punching power as much, as he is slower now