View Full Version : Couture vs. Lesnar Confirmed UFC 91

75th
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/09/02/ufc-media-conference-call-live-coverage/

75th
09-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I suppouse Mir and Nog who where slated to be the coaches for this seasons Tuf to build up for their title fight. I guess winner of each of these matches will become the true lineal champ.

ABOSWORTH
09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I just read about this. Not a really good style match up for Couture. I'm not sure Couture will beat him but I hope he does. If Couture can get him on the ground and work the ground and pound, he could take it. I don't know if Couture is strong enough to out wrestle him at this point.

75th
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
It's a perfect style match up for Couture. Lesnar just has the size advantage, Randy is the better ground fighter with ease.

Naps
09-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Lesnar doesn't deserve a title shot yet. Not by a loooong way.

HotSizzle
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Lesnar is too big and strong only way for randy to do anything is catch him on the ground with a submission.

neils7147933
09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Dana's throwing Randy under the bus here...rusty guy and his top prospect.

But what happens when The Natural wins and takes off to take the big money to fight Fedor and his future champ is 2-2?

Virgil Caine
09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Lesnar is too big and strong only way for randy to do anything is catch him on the ground with a submission.

That 'girl' in your avatar looks like a man. Note, the stache.

Kakutogi-Gumi
09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
While looking at this, it's easy to say that, looking at this, Randy has this in the bag, keep in mind Randy has problems with Catchers. Even if we don't count his loss to Josh Barnett, if you look at his record, you can see that he's had dec. wins aganst Mo Smith, TK and Ryushi Yanagisawa. He beat them all, but couldn't put them away. Brock is training with Barnett and Erik Paulsen, two of the top authorities of Catch today. I wouldn't be surprised if Minoru Suzuki will be brought in as well.

This might be a great match.

jakkups
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.edgarbrown.com/images/large-images/randy-couture.jpg
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPU7druLOc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPU7druLOc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WAR RANDY!!

Savino
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I am still in shock over this and will have to comment more when it as sunk in.

75th
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
It makes business sense.

UFC keeps Couture, Mir/Nog still do their TUF/title fight, winners of each match fight for the lineal title. Gives UFC more matches to play around with.

Plus they can now concentrate on getting Fedor.

Also, Lesnar in no way deserves a shot, that **** is laughable.

mrpain81
09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
That fight makes Delahoya vs Pac look like Ali vs Frazier....

Guy has been training MMA for 2 years and is now fighting for the title with a 2-1 record, must be a joke.

Joe2608
09-02-2008, 08:46 PM
This is insane!

Liaison
09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Big money fight and an interesting one at that. The reason Randy moved down was to get away from mammoths such as Brock, and I doubt Barnett or Ricco were near as strong/big as Brock.

As interesting as it is, I can***8217;t help but wonder if this devaluates the franchise and the sport and makes it more like pro wrestling but in saying that, casuals probably don***8217;t give a **** anyway. This along with Oscar/Pac will no doubt be the biggest PPV events of the year, so yeah...

75th
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Big money fight and an interesting one at that. The reason Randy moved down was to get away from mammoths such as Brock, and I doubt Barnett or Ricco were near as strong/big as Brock.

As interesting as it is, I canít help but wonder if this devaluates the franchise and the sport and makes it more like pro wrestling but in saying that, casuals probably donít give a **** anyway. This along with Oscar/Pac will no doubt be the biggest PPV events of the year, so yeah...

There are alot of people out there who are quite new to the mma world. They see this big mother ****er tear through whats put in front of him, and then you have the Natural on the other hand. Makes them interested enough to get them past the whole notion of it being anything like pro wrestling or anything of the such.

th4l3pr3ch4un
09-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Im not against this fight one bit... Both these guys are gonna show up for a war... and i think thats exactly what were gonna get...
Not to mention, this is going to sell a ton of pay per views.

HotSizzle
09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
That 'girl' in your avatar looks like a man. Note, the stache.

:rofl: thats the second time theyve told me that its the way she has her lips puckered up, I guess I should change it tho lol

neils7147933
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
It makes business sense.

UFC keeps Couture, Mir/Nog still do their TUF/title fight, winners of each match fight for the lineal title. Gives UFC more matches to play around with.

Plus they can now concentrate on getting Fedor.

Also, Lesnar in no way deserves a shot, that **** is laughable.
UFC won't keep Couture. He's fighting to get out, I would think, and figures it's quicker to do that then keep in the courts.

If he fights Fedor, it won't be in UFC. But if he loses to Brock, he won't get the Fedor fight. Or if he does, it's not the megafight that they're trying to hype now, even though I don't buy it.

MJ406
09-03-2008, 01:04 AM
so wait Brock/Couture for the title? wow
and im guessing Nog is still the interim champ.

can't really blame Dana for making this one, as it's a huge fight.

and it's a win win situation for the UFC.

If Couture wins + stays with the UFC, obviously Randy would face the Nog-Mir winner after Brock

If Couture wins + doesn't stay with UFC, well the Nog-Mir winner would face Werdum .. and Lesnar can rebound vs Kongo and try to get the Nog/Mir winner in 2-3 fights time

and if Brock wins, well he awaits the Nog-Mir winner.

just how i see the above playing out.

American_Ninja
09-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

ABOSWORTH
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
That fight makes Delahoya vs Pac look like Ali vs Frazier....

Guy has been training MMA for 2 years and is now fighting for the title with a 2-1 record, must be a joke.

That is crazy! I hope Randy takes him to school and isn't too old. Prime Randy wipes the floor with Lesnar and maybe even a past it Randy will.

Pecs
09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
brock for the title on his 4th MMA fight???? Is the heavyweight divison that empty??

Miyagi
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
much like boxing, the heavy weight division is the weakest in the UFC as well

TEXSTRO
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I hope lesnar loses.... He was acting like a real dousche last fight...Id beat his ass but Im a busy man....Either way Im not gonna buy this card...Because HOOTERS shows it for free! WIN WIN situation save some mula and having hot chicks pretend they think your cool is priceless.......LOL

ABOSWORTH
09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I hope lesnar loses.... He was acting like a real dousche last fight...Id beat his ass but Im a busy man....Either way Im not gonna buy this card...Because HOOTERS shows it for free! WIN WIN situation save some mula and having hot chicks pretend they think your cool is priceless.......LOL

It's a gimmick. Hooters beers aren't exactly cheap and the *****es expect large tips. I wouldn't exactly call it free but I see you're point. Depending on how much you drink, you will spend about 50-80 dollars on food and beer at the bar. Or you could order the fight at home with 5 buddies so you pay 10 bucks each for the fight and 20-30 bucks on beer and food so it's almost the same.

Tysonisgod
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
What a load o bull ****, go to www.ufc.tv randy couture is not winning this ****ing fight, a do not want brock as a ****in ufc champ, ufc is for fighters not wrestlers

Miyagi
09-03-2008, 01:28 PM

in what way was he acting like a "douche?" i did not see his fight with Herring so i do not understand what you mean.

Miyagi
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
What a load o bull ****, go to www.ufc.tv randy couture is not winning this ****ing fight, a do not want brock as a ****in ufc champ, ufc is for fighters not wrestlers

do you feel that couture can not win the fight? i think coutures experience will earn him the victory.

titoi
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Couture's experience may prevent him from being crippled, but it's probably not enough for him to win this fight

75th
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I hope lesnar loses.... He was acting like a real dousche last fight...

Totally true.

Tysonisgod
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
do you feel that couture can not win the fight? i think coutures experience will earn him the victory.

A feel that everyone will say "oh its Randy Couture, you can never count him out!"
Well right now, i'm sayin Randy Couture will lose his UFC heavyweight title to Brock

MJ406
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
yeah i dunno, if anyone saw the Brock-Herring fight (assuming majority here did)

Lesnar looked absolutely massive compared to Herring, and had a hood 20-30 pounds easily.

**even if Brock does take the belt, what are the chances he'll stay UFC Champ for very long?

ABOSWORTH
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Brock has undoubtedly taken steroids though out his career as a wrestler and I'm surprised they let him fight based on that. It's not the same as a guy who got caught taking steroids once to help heal an injury, this guy has built his body up the way it is by taking steroids. Even if he doesn't take them now, he still has a large steroid foundation that he can keep up without steroids now. ****ing ridiculous!!!

MJ406
09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
steroids aside, I personally find the comparison of Couture/Lesnar to Oscar/Pac
a bit rediculous besides the fact that both are Super fights.

ones a title fight

and the other is a 147 catch weight bout.

I've followed boxing longer and see the Oscar/Pac as borderline worthless. (it'll make a hell of a profit for Oscar and Manny though)

Gojira
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
even if hes taken roids so what? you dont become a ufc champion just because your massive. he was an amazing wrestler and dcent punching power so he has got some skill.

ABOSWORTH
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
even if hes taken roids so what? you dont become a ufc champion just because your massive. he was an amazing wrestler and dcent punching power so he has got some skill.

Are you saying that steroids should be legal?

TEXSTRO
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
in what way was he acting like a "douche?" i did not see his fight with Herring so i do not understand what you mean.

well he tried to ride him like a horse the last seconds of the fight... then did the whole lasso thing afterwards....Not real classy for a guy that lost his last fight....Hes gonna turn into a sideshow act...

MetalVomit
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Dana's throwing Randy under the bus here...rusty guy and his top prospect.

But what happens when The Natural wins and takes off to take the big money to fight Fedor and his future champ is 2-2?

great minds think alike. 5 years ago, Couture catches Lesnar, now, Couture is too past his prime to beat a (unexperienced) hungry, strong fighter with solid wrestling skills who owns the size advantage.

vinnie7731
09-03-2008, 07:55 PM
i hope randy smashes brocks face in.

randy is the better wrestler in my opinion but doesnt have the strength advantage.

this fight is only about the money for dana. i think randy is just trying to get out of the ufc and this is the easiest way instead of the courts.

i dont know if this is true, maybe someone can tell me?? is is true that in some ufc contracts, if the fighter wins, he automatically is locked in for a few more fights?? if thats the case, which im not sure if it is, then randy will lose if he wants out (if that clause is in his contract) but i doubt it is.

i see this fight going alot like the randy/gonzaga fight.......randy gets brock against the cage a throws punches in the clinch

and yes, that crap brock pulled in the last few seconds of his fight vs herring was disrespectful and it shows everyone how much of a douche he is.
as i said above----i hope randy SMASHES his face

Kakutogi-Gumi
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Brock has undoubtedly taken steroids though out his career as a wrestler and I'm surprised they let him fight based on that. It's not the same as a guy who got caught taking steroids once to help heal an injury, this guy has built his body up the way it is by taking steroids. Even if he doesn't take them now, he still has a large steroid foundation that he can keep up without steroids now. ****ing ridiculous!!!

Interestly enough, that's all him. He was fluxing between 250 and 260 during his time at Minnesota. And those guys do test.

Now if we were talking Bob Lashley, yeah. He's an HGH freak. he went from 180 in Army to 220 after quitting the E.

Virgil Caine
09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Interestly enough, that's all him. He was fluxing between 250 and 260 during his time at Minnesota. And those guys do test.

Now if we were talking Bob Lashley, yeah. He's an HGH freak. he went from 180 in Army to 220 after quitting the E.

For what its worth, Lesnar was arrested, and subsequently exonerated, for Steroid possession/trafficking in 2001:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/lesnarmug1.html

Brock Lesnar, the World Wrestling Entertainment champion, was once arrested for illegally possessing steroids, though the felony charge against the 26-year-old athlete was dismissed four months after his January 2001 arrest. Lesnar, pictured in the below mug shot, was popped by Louisville Division of Police detectives after receiving and opening a parcel that cops said contained a "large amount of steroids." Lesnar, a 295-pound former college wrestling champ, was in Kentucky training at a WWE facility. Hit with a trafficking in controlled substances charge, Lesnar was exonerated when tests showed that the seized pills were not, in fact, steroids. While a Louisville detective told TSG that the material was some kind of growth hormone, Lesnar's defense attorney, Scott Cox, characterized the confiscated pills as a "vitamin type of thing." According to Cox, officers seemed "very apologetic" when lab results cleared Lesnar. It is unclear how investigators concluded that the parcel sent to Lesnar may have contained illicit substances.

TSG TV: Nearly 50 new clips, from mind-bending drugs to body-bending swimsuits

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/lesnarmug1.jpg

GreatestIam
09-04-2008, 05:18 AM
No way in the ****ing world does couture have a chance, only guys who'll give Brock trouble are guys weighing over 230... Brock is gonna rock The Naturals old ass to sleep

Liaison
09-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Would be interesting to see what would happen if Couture was put on his back during the fight.

And Brock is very adamant that he's never taken Roids, always tells the accuser to get a cup to do the test there and then. But he's definitely not as ripped anymore, which is a good thing in this sport.
Who knows...

FlyingArmbar
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Cant wait to see how Couture is going to break down Lesnar, piece by piece.

BALLISTIC
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
lesnar by tko..to strong n big..btw lesnar does know howda wrestle and does a ground n pound game...i'm paying to watch this..

ABOSWORTH
09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
No way in the ****ing world does couture have a chance, only guys who'll give Brock trouble are guys weighing over 230... Brock is gonna rock The Naturals old ass to sleep

How much did Frank Mir weigh? He's totally past it and he caught Brock making a mistake. I think Randy could do the same but IDK. Brock is a big mother ****er and he might just pummel Couture. I won't be betting on this fight.

Virgil Caine
09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
And Brock is very adamant that he's never taken Roids, always tells the accuser to get a cup to do the test there and then.

Oh, well I guess its case closed then. Seriously though, of course he's going to say that.

Also, lets not forget about HGH and about undetectable varieties of roids, i.e. the stuff Balco was churning out.

GreatestIam
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
How much did Frank Mir weigh? He's totally past it and he caught Brock making a mistake. I think Randy could do the same but IDK. Brock is a big mother ****er and he might just pummel Couture. I won't be betting on this fight.

Mir is a big boy himself, and he caught Brock slipping after Brock should've and could've KOed his ass on the mat.. I mean if Couture can get top mount he has a chance, but unlike Mir Couture isnt strong enough to do anything fromt he bottom and history shows Brock always bets you on your back!

neils7147933
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Fedor showed against Big Tim that it's not all about weight.........He was at 219, Tim at 256 and Sylvia got destroyed.

ABOSWORTH
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Fedor showed against Big Tim that it's not all about weight.........He was at 219, Tim at 256 and Sylvia got destroyed.

Couture manhandled Silva for 5 rounds and made him his *****.

ABOSWORTH
09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Mir is a big boy himself, and he caught Brock slipping after Brock should've and could've KOed his ass on the mat.. I mean if Couture can get top mount he has a chance, but unlike Mir Couture isnt strong enough to do anything fromt he bottom and history shows Brock always bets you on your back!

Yes I realize that. Lesnar was pummeling Mir but Mir showed Lesnar's flaws. Randy might be able to do the same. Randy has way more experience and if Lesnar ****s up, you know damn well that Couture is going to capitalize on it.

vinnie7731
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM

thats a great point. agreed!!

MJ406
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Didn't Sylvia have an injured back going into the fight vs Randy Couture?

I recall reading that somewhere.

Harms
09-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Didn't Sylvia have an injured back going into the fight vs Randy Couture?

I recall reading that somewhere.

He ended up having back surgery after the fight.