View Full Version : Urijah Faber: BJ Penn Has 90 Percent Chance of Beating Kimbo Slice

jakkups
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/28/603155/urijah-faber-bj-penn-has-9

On the Big O & Dukes show on 106.7 WJFK (http://www.wjfk.com/pages/703221.php) today, WEC Featherweight Champion Urijah Faber was asked about BJ Penn's chances of defeating Kimbo Slice in a fight. Faber replied that Penn had a "90% chance" of defeating the EliteXC heavyweight, although one speculates Faber really feels the chances are much higher.

The Penn vs. Slice "fantasy match-up" is the product of UFC President Dana White's comment just prior to EliteXC's debut on CBS. White remarked that BJ Penn could defeat Slice in a MMA bout. The effort of White was to disparage Slice's talent level by suggesting a lightweight fighter in the UFC could defeat a heavyweight fighter in EliteXC (or at least Slice). Faber's corroboration merely adds fuel to the fire.

As for a potential bout with Norifumi Yamamoto, it's the same story: Faber wants it; there are no plans in the works to make it happen.

Listen to the entire interview here (http://podcast.wjfk.com/wjfk2/1294336*****).

I think the chances would be higher

ABOSWORTH
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Urijiah Faber has a 100% chance of sounding like a complete ****ing retard.

I think the sun is soaking into his brain...

Palma
08-29-2008, 05:02 AM
I'd like to see Penn vs. Faber!!

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Actually Dana White said that during an interview with Dan Lebatard here in Miami. He even said that not only would Penn beat Slice but would do it under 1 minute.

I know Slice is a rookie in the game but there is like a 100 lb difference, I don't see that happening.

Mr. Beelzebub
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I would bet my house and two cars on Penn is that fight was ever to happen. ****, even Shammy at 150 years old and ****ed up knees might beat Kimbo.

ABOSWORTH
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I would bet my house and two cars on Penn is that fight was ever to happen. ****, even Shammy at 150 years old and ****ed up knees might beat Kimbo.

Oh come on. BJ Penn is a great fighter and is one of my favorites but to say that he'd kick Kimbo's ass is just ridiculous. Shamrock has a good shot though especially if he can get the fight to the ground. Kimbo's ****ed if Rock gets him on his back.

1bad65
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I know Slice is a rookie in the game but there is like a 100 lb difference, I don't see that happening.

You need to watch the early UFCs then. Royce Gracie beat guys alot bigger than him who were alot better than Kimbo is. Royce actually beat some Sumo guy a few years back who had over 200lbs on him.

1bad65
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Here is Genki Sudo tapping out Butterbean. Sudo weighed 155lbs and Butterbean about 275lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2SqIkt0E7o

jakkups
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Exactly, even with size doesn't mean anything if you have deficiencys in skill. Penn has unbelievable talent and can get guys as big as Kimbo on the ground and tap then out. If Sudo can do it to Butterbean, Gracie can do it to Akebono, Minowa can do it to giant Silva, then Penn can do it to Slice. Randy Couture and Matt Lindland both said that Penn was the hardest guy to grapple with when he trained with them at Team Quest over 4 years ago, and Penn has improved a **** load since then. Kimbo has a punchers chance but thats it.

letsgobrady
08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Exactly, even with size doesn't mean anything if you have deficiencys in skill. Penn has unbelievable talent and can get guys as big as Kimbo on the ground and tap then out. If Sudo can do it to Butterbean, Gracie can do it to Akebono, Minowa can do it to giant Silva, then Penn can do it to Slice. Randy Couture and Matt Lindland both said that Penn was the hardest guy to grapple with when he trained with them at Team Quest over 4 years ago, and Penn has improved a **** load since then. Kimbo has a punchers chance but thats it.

yea thats all kimbo has is a punchers chance,imo b.j is the best mma fighter i have ever seen

1bad65
08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
When he is motivated, Penn is awesome. Just that some fights he seems to take lightly and not train like he should. But when he is motivated and he trains, he is one of the best in the game at any weight.

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-29-2008, 04:06 PM
You need to watch the early UFCs then. Royce Gracie beat guys alot bigger than him who were alot better than Kimbo is. Royce actually beat some Sumo guy a few years back who had over 200lbs on him.

Yea but come on man, I mean the early UFC's were 5 guys that knew what they were doing and a bunch of street fighters.

I mean, I know Kimbo isn't a black belt in anything but at least the guy is schooled in to what he needs to do. I don't think BJ can out muscle him. I don't think he would be as sstupid to stand and trade with Kimbo, let's be real here........

Naps
08-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Yea but come on man, I mean the early UFC's were 5 guys that knew what they were doing and a bunch of street fighters.

I mean, I know Kimbo isn't a black belt in anything but at least the guy is schooled in to what he needs to do. I don't think BJ can out muscle him. I don't think he would be as sstupid to stand and trade with Kimbo, let's be real here........

Exactly what I was gonna post.

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Exactly what I was gonna post.

Dude, the funny thing is, people talk about Kimbo as if he's a***** or something....

Reality is, if any of these guys saw Kimbo on the street he would beat their ass like they stole something....

1bad65
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Isn't Kimbo's big claim to fame being a street fighter?!?!

If you look at actual accomplishments, those early guys were heads and shoulders above Kimbo.

FYI, based on his last fight Kimbo has no idea what he is doing on the ground himself.

number6
08-29-2008, 07:21 PM
If Royce Gracie can beat Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Remco Pardol in their primes even though he gave away so much weight, im sure Bj has a good shot against Kimbo.

jakkups
08-29-2008, 09:46 PM

If you look at actual accomplishments, those early guys were heads and shoulders above Kimbo.

FYI, based on his last fight Kimbo has no idea what he is doing on the ground himself.

Precisely, Kimbo's a street fighter with very, very limited knowledge of grappling. I mean if you look at the early UFCs and early MMA in general then Kimbo is now what Paul Varelans was back then. And Paul Varelans was beaten down by guys that were over a foot smaller than him and that he outwayed by a mile and that weren't as skilled a fighter as BJ Penn was or is this present day. So realistically I would say that BJ has more chance of winning this fight and Kimbo. 10 seconds on the ground with Penn and BJ would have him calling for his mama because he got his arm broken.

American_Ninja
08-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Actually Dana White said that during an interview with Dan Lebatard here in Miami. He even said that not only would Penn beat Slice but would do it under 1 minute.

I remember a young Royce Gracie beating guys with 100 lb advantages.
It doesn't matter how big you are, if a 150-170 lb man has his full weight wrapped around your arm, it's over.

kingprodigy10
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
faber vs penn at 155 make it happen

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-31-2008, 02:01 AM

No way those guys back in the day were better than Kimbo. I will give you an example. There was royce, Shamrock, Dan Sevrensen (sp?), Taktarov (the Russian dude) and maybe 2 other guys that were actually schooled in the basics of what we know as MMA today.

Now Im talking real early on but even guys like Tank Abott didn't know what they were doing on the ground and was just a big time puncher.

Now I know Kimbo's claim to fame is street fighting but fighters entering MMA today are light years of anyone fighting back in the early days of the UFC. Simply because we now know the basics needed to be a great fighter i.e, boxing, wrestling, Ju-jitsu, kick boxing ect. Back then, they knew one discipline or none at all. Kimbo may not be a great MMA fighter but under the tutelage ofBass Ruten, he has a huge advantage over the old guys in the early days.

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Precisely, Kimbo's a street fighter with very, very limited knowledge of grappling. I mean if you look at the early UFCs and early MMA in general then Kimbo is now what Paul Varelans was back then. And Paul Varelans was beaten down by guys that were over a foot smaller than him and that he outwayed by a mile and that weren't as skilled a fighter as BJ Penn was or is this present day. So realistically I would say that BJ has more chance of winning this fight and Kimbo. 10 seconds on the ground with Penn and BJ would have him calling for his mama because he got his arm broken.

I remember a young Royce Gracie beating guys with 100 lb advantages.
It doesn't matter how big you are, if a 150-170 lb man has his full weight wrapped around your arm, it's over.

Again, Kimbo's knowledge if MMA is light years ahead of anyone like Varlans. He is learning from Ruten and has the advantage of 20 years of MMA knowledge and advancments.

Pound for pound BJ Penn is 10X the fighter Kimbo is but Kimbo would be almost 100lbs heavier and much, much stronger than Penn. I think if Penn got Kimbo in a knee bar or arm bar or Kimora, he wouldn't have the strength to finish the move against a man the size and power of Kimbo.

Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.

1bad65
08-31-2008, 02:46 AM
No way those guys back in the day were better than Kimbo. I will give you an example. There was royce, Shamrock, Dan Sevrensen (sp?), Taktarov (the Russian dude) and maybe 2 other guys that were actually schooled in the basics of what we know as MMA today.

Now Im talking real early on but even guys like Tank Abott didn't know what they were doing on the ground and was just a big time puncher.

No one was schooled in MMA back then. It was style-vs-style. The grapplers had no striking and the strikers had no grappling.

Tank Abbott was a high school and college wrestler. So he had some ground technique.

.Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.

Lets compare Kimbo to the UFC 1 fighters and see:

Teila Tuli - Champion of the Juryo Division of the Japanese Sumo Federation
Pat Smith - HW Champion of the Sabaki Challenge and ranked 7th by the World Kickboxing Commission
Ken Shamrock - current King of Pancrase
Gerard Gordeau - Dutch Karate Champion 1978-1985, Savate World Championships top European honors 1988-1991
Kevin Rosier - Former Super-Heavyweight Kickboxing World Champion
Zane Frasier - Instructor under Frank Dux, 4th Degree BB under Ed Parker
Art Jimmerson - 29-5 Pro Boxing record. 10th ranked cruiserweight by WBC.
Royce Gracie - Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Kimbo Slice - Won a few backyard YouTube fights

If you really think that those guys were just 'street fighters', you're dead wrong.

jakkups
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Pound for pound BJ Penn is 10X the fighter Kimbo is but Kimbo would be almost 100lbs heavier and much, much stronger than Penn. I think if Penn got Kimbo in a knee bar or arm bar or Kimora, he wouldn't have the strength to finish the move against a man the size and power of Kimbo.

BJJ is not about using strength, its about using leverage and position of which BJ Penn is a master of in MMA. He rolls with guys who outweigh him all the time, and have more strength and better knowledge of ground technique than Kimbo and is still able to get the better of them. There is no way Kimbo is strong enough the tear his arm out of an armbar or kimura if the positioning is correct and the technique is applied properly, fact. And even if he tried he'd end up breaking his arm.

Again, compairing Kimbo to those street fighters of the early days of the UFC isn't feasible, because Kimbo is much better trained to defend and expect those types of things now under the training he is receiving.

UFC 1 was full of real athletes with actual backgrounds in various martial arts and were regarded as some of the top flight competitors in their fields. Kimbo has done nothing but been in a few "street fights" with some bums that someone filmed and all of a sudden he's considered a true Mixed Martial Artists. He doesn't know what is like to be in a reall MMA fight because his career is being built the same way his street fight career was built, feed him the bums to make him look good and hope that he can learn a thing or to.

YUHHHHHHH!
08-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I love all three of these guys, but Kid Yamamoto gives BJ Penn, Kimbo Slice and Urijah Faber the BOOM SNAP CLAP KO.