View Full Version : I got challenged if you could say...What general opinions...

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 09:07 AM
I was over at my sisters house the other day and she had a few people over, All 3 were brothers and supposedly "trained" for boxing and I guess they do that MMA style of fighting and one of them is strictly a boxer. Im pretty sure it is underground and nothing big, But anyways skipping through the mumbo jumbo the boxer said he would like to "challenge" me and got heated about it. They said the winner would get 50 dollars and it would be 3 2 minute rounds, this guy weighs like 135 and Im down to 117 and that is a huge weight difference. He said he would come down to 125-7 if I would come up to 122...No problem their except that basically that is 2 different weight classes and I am 122-123 on a full stomach with no problems....

They said their would be head gear and 14oz gloves would be used...Now I have never seen this guy fight, but if he is training to be a boxer it isnt serious. While he was at my sisters house he was eating potato chips and drinking pop while I was snacking on some yogurt and baby carrots and I guess his stamina is horrible and he doesnt even do roadwork....

Now this would be a great opportunity for me to test myself and see where I stand, Although it isnt official in anyway and could turn to be a bad decision (I know the consequences) But w/ the headgear and the heavy gloves it would be just like a sparring session and I think although, I havent had real professional training but my ethics and drive is their and my stamina is crazy, I could hold my own.

I realize it isnt probably a nice professional choice, but hey it is just like a sparring session to me plus w/ a quick buck.

I usually train w/ 12 oz gloves and head gear and the guys I spar with are 140-170 pounds.

Anyone questions or comments?

leff
11-03-2004, 10:05 AM
I dont know spinks,it will be your first fight right?

You should find out if he has fought much and how long hes been boxing, i know some guys who dont train seriously, eat crap and are 20 years older than me who would have knocked me flat.

And that he outweighs you isnt necassary an advantages fore him if his fat.

Find out more about this bloke.

jabsRstiff
11-03-2004, 10:11 AM
If you are serious about becoming a boxer.....skip this "fight".
Yeah, you're ego may tell you to go through with it, but use your head.

Fight....WHEN IT COUNTS.

Ask whoever trains you if you should do it.....& they'll tell you pretty much what I've told you.

jabsRstiff
11-03-2004, 10:12 AM
On the other hand.....if this dude was getting heated towards you in your sister's house.....you shoulda asked him if he wanted to step outside.
He sounds like a punk.

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 10:12 AM
I dont know spinks,it will be your first fight right?

You should find out if he has fought much and how long hes been boxing, i know some guys who dont train seriously, eat crap and are 20 years older than me who would have knocked me flat.

And that he outweighs you isnt necassary an advantages fore him if his fat.

Find out more about this bloke.

Yes, I have about 20-25 sparring sessions in all ranging between 8-12 rounds each session though......

I know he has done what he is doing about 4 times, he seems really out of shape and poorly conditioned....

Their is a lot of risk involved and I realize it, but the protection is their and I had just got full coverage insurance so if anything went wrong Id be covered and I could see where I stand which is what I definatly want to do....

I know some people in here has more in ring experience then me and looking for their general opinion....

My sister and her husband praise this guy because he is their friends, but his poor conditioning and eating habits makes me question it and gives me confidence...It is a tough one.

Jabs-Yeah he was getting pretty mad about nothing really, he was telling me about his "skills" and his "training" and I laughed when he said he doesnt do roadwork and that bag of chips in his hands and can of pop doesnt do much justice, im sure it could have been settled outside but I dont like confrontations like that...I would rather punk him inside of what he thinks he is better at....Although he may be able to defeat me who knows....

leff
11-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Yes, I have about 20-25 sparring sessions in all ranging between 8-12 rounds each session though......

I know he has done what he is doing about 4 times, he seems really out of shape and poorly conditioned....

Their is a lot of risk involved and I realize it, but the protection is their and I had just got full coverage insurance so if anything went wrong Id be covered and I could see where I stand which is what I definatly want to do....

I know some people in here has more in ring experience then me and looking for their general opinion....

My sister and her husband praise this guy because he is their friends, but his poor conditioning and eating habits makes me question it and gives me confidence...It is a tough one.

Jabs-Yeah he was getting pretty mad about nothing really, he was telling me about his "skills" and his "training" and I laughed when he said he doesnt do roadwork and that bag of chips in his hands and can of pop doesnt do much justice, im sure it could have been settled outside but I dont like confrontations like that...I would rather punk him inside of what he thinks he is better at....Although he may be able to defeat me who knows....

Well so you got about 200 rounds of sparring?
I dont realy think your ready yet, looks like he is a lot more experienced than you,soo i would wait, and you cant tell how good conditioned his by loking at him and talking too him.

And about the food, this guy i train with is 2times nowegian champion and took a silver in the open germany championship, he eats loads of chips, icecream drinks a lot beer. And hes stil one dangerous fighter and has 5% bodyfat.

You havent been training boxing fore long, what is about 4-5 months?

I think its too early.

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Well so you got about 200 rounds of sparring?
I dont realy think your ready yet, looks like he is a lot more experienced than you,soo i would wait, and you cant tell how good conditioned his by loking at him and talking too him.

And about the food, this guy i train with is 2times nowegian champion and took a silver in the open germany championship, he eats loads of chips, icecream drinks a lot beer. And hes stil one dangerous fighter and has 5% bodyfat.

You havent been training boxing fore long, what is about 4-5 months?

I think its too early.

Around 200 is a good estimate.......Im thinking about it to test my skills, but I think it would be best like you said if I could get more information on him....He he a bit of a bulge in his guy which might not be thing if he throws haymakers for all rounds...

Thanks for your opinion, I will most likely follow the advice but this guy just agitates the hell out of me and I feel I could box around him even though im still very early.....Plus boxing is a mental edge sport and if I go in their angry the outcome wont be pretty probably from my end.....Thanks a lot.

bigtex
11-03-2004, 11:50 AM
8-12 round sessions? come on if your training to be an amateur no one goes that long

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 11:55 AM
8-12 round sessions? come on if your training to be an amateur no one goes that long

If you can do it why not?

I dont cheat myself in training and push myself to my limits, I have built my stamina up to go that and I will do that in my training...

Their is no reason to go 4 rounds when and risk coming up short when I know I can go double or triple that....

abdiel2k3
11-03-2004, 12:23 PM
dude
you serioulsy need to box this fool
14oz gloves and headgear?
plus once ya beat him ya get 50 bucks?
if thats not a good thing i dont know what is
just remember to throw a low blow once in a while since he outweighs ya
lol

theironone
11-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Spinks whats your respective ages, cos this sounds very childish - no disrespect to you. i'd say two options if he's biggin it up in front of his bros and in front of your sister then he's a either one ****sure mofo or just a mouth. So you should have taken it outside and what sort of prick does that anyway!!
Two - get him down your gym and kick his ass down there - simple.
Size means little at those weights, do you think you could kick his ass too!!!
If it's a spar then it's a spar but the dude challenged you - he was prob being polite to suggest headgear and 14 gloves - what he really thinks is that your a jumped up little ****a who needs a beating - then it'l be him who's laughing as he swigs his pop.
Proceed with caution, if he's just a little bit handy then show him some skills, and always be positive and remember it will de-generate into a fight, spar agreed or not!!!
That's just my thinking of it but i can be slightly negative sometimes LOL

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Spinks whats your respective ages, cos this sounds very childish - no disrespect to you. i'd say two options if he's biggin it up in front of his bros and in front of your sister then he's a either one ****sure mofo or just a mouth. So you should have taken it outside and what sort of prick does that anyway!!
Two - get him down your gym and kick his ass down there - simple.
Size means little at those weights, do you think you could kick his ass too!!!
If it's a spar then it's a spar but the dude challenged you - he was prob being polite to suggest headgear and 14 gloves - what he really thinks is that your a jumped up little ****a who needs a beating - then it'l be him who's laughing as he swigs his pop.
Proceed with caution, if he's just a little bit handy then show him some skills, and always be positive and remember it will de-generate into a fight, spar agreed or not!!!
That's just my thinking of it but i can be slightly negative sometimes LOL

Im 20 and he is 22, Hey no disrespect taken. Im not the one jumping the gun and wanting to fight inside the ring and im not calling anybody out because my training techniques are better then what his is....

Im undecided, probably nothing will come of it. Im cautious about all the things I do and I like to keep my composure...

So who knows, if he wanted to get in the ring to spar or fight thats cool I have nothing against that at all...

theironone
11-03-2004, 01:00 PM
It's good to be cautious, you being a harder trainer is probably what has pissed him off and made him be a little rambo-ish, like i said if he does beat you then he'll just turn round and say all the training in the world didn't beat me.
It sounds as if his attitude stinks but i say nip it in the bud or accept the challenge and wait for his next move, remember he said he'd get his weight down and if he's got to work at it then he probably is looking for a fight rather than a spar

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 01:22 PM
It's good to be cautious, you being a harder trainer is probably what has pissed him off and made him be a little rambo-ish, like i said if he does beat you then he'll just turn round and say all the training in the world didn't beat me.
It sounds as if his attitude stinks but i say nip it in the bud or accept the challenge and wait for his next move, remember he said he'd get his weight down and if he's got to work at it then he probably is looking for a fight rather than a spar

Good points especially about the weight....But since he is willing to come down to do it might also make me think that he might be drained from it since prior to the argument he said he fights at around 135 a lot so that might be a struggle, im comfortable at my weight now. I could go out and eat 4 triple cheeseburgers and a milkshake and probably still not gain a pound from it.....

Best thing to most likely do is blow the guy off and not give him the time of day.

theironone
11-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeh **** him have a brutal street fight LOL.....................................Joke

abdiel2k3
11-03-2004, 01:55 PM
WWSD
what would spinks do?
prolly run away
excuse me i mean box away

but u aint spinks
so fight him
no big deal

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
WWSD
what would spinks do?
prolly run away
excuse me i mean box away

but u aint spinks
so fight him
no big deal

*Shakes Head*

You need to cut that running crap out when speaking of Cory.

Cory reminds me a lot like Rodney Dangerfield: "I dont get no respect"

Tis True.

m00ks
11-03-2004, 05:18 PM
If it was a friendly sparring session then I wouldn't worry. But like you say this guy gets riled up so I wouldn't go for it just yet. You may find yourself in a heap of dog sh*t. You just never know. My advice, if your truly interested in fighting him , I'd suggest you get more background info on the guy. You have to know your opponent as much as you know your own capabilities. But I'd wait it out till you're truly ready and full confident. Don't rush.

leff
11-03-2004, 05:37 PM

I dont cheat myself in training and push myself to my limits, I have built my stamina up to go that and I will do that in my training...

Their is no reason to go 4 rounds when and risk coming up short when I know I can go double or triple that....

Because your sopossed too spar 4
If you can spar 12 rounds its not hard enough.
You can do loads of skin touch sparring too increase your skill, but real sparring is meant too be soo hard that the 4rounds is all you can handle, if your able too spar more than max 5 in a row its not hard enough,

also dont fight people heavier than you, teoretical it should be ideal cause they have an advantage but it may make you used too slower and lower paced boxing than your current weightclass.

abdiel2k3
11-03-2004, 05:43 PM
*Shakes Head*

You need to cut that running crap out when speaking of Cory.

Cory reminds me a lot like Rodney Dangerfield: "I dont get no respect"

Tis True.

and theres a reason both dont get no respects
one runs
one aint that funny

fyi cory is the funnier of the 2
lol

patto1984
11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
true ive had 20 am fights and only sparred 8 rounders at the most for a beginner if ur not buggered by the 4th round u must be going at pitta patter rate.

spinksjinx
11-04-2004, 12:12 AM
true ive had 20 am fights and only sparred 8 rounders at the most for a beginner if ur not buggered by the 4th round u must be going at pitta patter rate.

Some I would say about 160 rounds or so have been getting the basics while the other upward of 40 or so, have been at a pretty good rate and I have been put on my ass a few times by it and have gotten a bit tired, but I have adapted to that....

But like you said 4-5 months is still early, Although I have had an ok amount of rounds of sparring put in w/ about roughly 30-40% being agressive rounds.

Mr. Untouchable
11-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Some I would say about 160 rounds or so have been getting the basics while the other upward of 40 or so, have been at a pretty good rate and I have been put on my ass a few times by it and have gotten a bit tired, but I have adapted to that....

But like you said 4-5 months is still early, Although I have had an ok amount of rounds of sparring put in w/ about roughly 30-40% being agressive rounds.I think you should leave it alone. From reading your previous posts on the subject it seems as if you have been getting some good work and and was feeling pretty good of yourself and happened to run into some other fighters and they got a little under your skin. Don't fall for the bull**** you have absolutely nothing to gain by taking this fight and for 50 bucks that aint ****. I think you have a lot more to lose than the other guy. You have to remember sometimes all the training in the world doesn't mean anything, what happens if the other guy can really fight and he knocks you the f*ck out in front of your sister and everybody. I think you would be crushed. Keep doing what you have been doing and try to stay humble...

blockburna944
11-04-2004, 01:38 AM
I'd say get to know a little more about the guy first. Like what kind of level boxer was he for his fights and that stuff. But if it would take place in a safe and controlled environment like you said, then go for it. You could treat it like a serious fight and prepare for it that way. A win gives you bragging rights and 50 bucks, and it sucks to lose but a loss will let you know what kinds of things you really need to work on. I've done a couple of matches with the same rules as you described against guys with more expereince than me. They've helped to me improve as a boxer as much as any of my training has.

patto1984
11-04-2004, 07:13 PM
but then again 5 month mark is round about the time u wanna have ur first fight to test yourself.

andreyd
01-22-2005, 12:15 PM
one should take a chance to try himself

HayeFan
01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Best thing to most likely do is blow the guy off and not give him the time of day.

You're in a bind.

It doesn't sound as though you want any part of this fight.

Fistecles
01-22-2005, 01:04 PM
I say do it. If he claims he's a "boxer" then he'll box you, not swing wildly. Besides, like said the protection is there. Worst case, you lose, best case you win. In both cases you learn.

boxer2k5
01-22-2005, 04:54 PM
I was over at my sisters house the other day and she had a few people over, All 3 were brothers and supposedly "trained" for boxing and I guess they do that MMA style of fighting and one of them is strictly a boxer. Im pretty sure it is underground and nothing big, But anyways skipping through the mumbo jumbo the boxer said he would like to "challenge" me and got heated about it. They said the winner would get 50 dollars and it would be 3 2 minute rounds, this guy weighs like 135 and Im down to 117 and that is a huge weight difference. He said he would come down to 125-7 if I would come up to 122...No problem their except that basically that is 2 different weight classes and I am 122-123 on a full stomach with no problems....

They said their would be head gear and 14oz gloves would be used...Now I have never seen this guy fight, but if he is training to be a boxer it isnt serious. While he was at my sisters house he was eating potato chips and drinking pop while I was snacking on some yogurt and baby carrots and I guess his stamina is horrible and he doesnt even do roadwork....

Now this would be a great opportunity for me to test myself and see where I stand, Although it isnt official in anyway and could turn to be a bad decision (I know the consequences) But w/ the headgear and the heavy gloves it would be just like a sparring session and I think although, I havent had real professional training but my ethics and drive is their and my stamina is crazy, I could hold my own.

I realize it isnt probably a nice professional choice, but hey it is just like a sparring session to me plus w/ a quick buck.

I usually train w/ 12 oz gloves and head gear and the guys I spar with are 140-170 pounds.

Anyone questions or comments?
dont do it pinky
this guy is a joke
you dotn want to get in any unsanctioned fights and get hurt

the only non sanctioned fights worth getting into is semi pro underground but youa nd i arent ready for that

even with headgear and 14 ounce gloves youc an still get hrut
not saying he will hurt you but
you could hurt yourself hitting him or fighting on anything btu a ring

who knows if this guy comming to headbut get mad and fight forreal

dont do it skip it
tell him if he wants to fight to come to you gym and traina nd fight

BY the way why was there 3 guys at ur sisters house
not to be nosey

Tha Greatest
01-22-2005, 06:56 PM

It's not about how hard u train

if u sparr for 8-12 rounds every session, you will BURN OUT!
I dont care how hard you work out, but sparring you cant over do it. Work hard on the bags and train hard but train smart.
If you sparr 8-12 rounds, then you will be a slow fighter
when u have a amateur fight, as a novice you only got 6 minutes to prove yourself, so you should sparr one round more then you will fight unless u goin 12 rounds.
if you spar more then 4 rounds you will start to feel out your opponent and start slow. You cannot start slow in a fight cuz the time will go fast as light. Just what i have learned and it's what my trainer has tought me

Kid Achilles
01-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Ignore them, unless they are willing to spar you in your gym with your coach and friends around.

jack_the_rippuh
01-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Why are you guys using 14oz. gloves?