View Full Version : Kimbo vs. Gannon

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
The match will be happening in Oct. on CBS. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/josh_gross/08/20/kimbo/index.html?eref=T1)

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm4.jpg

neils7147933
08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
The ratings for their last CBS show went down and they're hoping a Kimbo Tyson-like win will satisfy the fans still sticking around...

...but pitiful in my opinion...

1bad65
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
At least the writer is knowledgable in MMA. This is 100% true:

"The feeling among Elite XC execs, however, is that it's better to hold off on a Rogers-Slice showdown for fear that its cash cow, Kimbo, would lose, and thereby extinguish his marketability and the organization's potential pay-per-view debut."

Gotta give Gary Shaw credit, he may actually find someone who sucks MORE than James Thompson for his protected star to fight.

1bad65
08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
The ratings for their last CBS show went down and they're hoping a Kimbo Tyson-like win will satisfy the fans still sticking around...

...but pitiful in my opinion...

Good post. True EliteXC's numbers are down and not looking good. Contrast that to Affliction's numbers which were great and has MMA fans waiting intently for their next show. The difference is that Affliction had a Main Event with two Top 5 HWs and a loaded undercard, while Elite had a circus act headline their cards and a pretty weak undercard.

number6
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
This is a low level MMA match that could attract one of the biggest PPV audiences in the history of the sport.

Non MMA people will be watching and it will be billed as a streetfight rematch.

This isnt good for MMA.

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-20-2008, 08:36 PM
At least the writer is knowledgable in MMA. This is 100% true:

"The feeling among Elite XC execs, however, is that it's better to hold off on a Rogers-Slice showdown for fear that its cash cow, Kimbo, would lose, and thereby extinguish his marketability and the organization's potential pay-per-view debut."

Gotta give Gary Shaw credit, he may actually find someone who sucks MORE than James Thompson for his protected star to fight.

Jared Shaw and Chris Champion. Gary no longer is with EXC.

And Champion's a mook.

I'm surprised you don't know Josh Gross, formally of Sherdog fame.

1bad65
08-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Royal, you know your stuff bro.

I missed that about Gary Shaw. It's about time, that guy is clueless on MMA. He only got into MMA for the money and after boxers (like Jeff Lacy) refused to work with him. I wonder how well his son will do, or if the guy is just a puppet like Don King's son is.

I haven't gone to Sherdog for years, other than to confirm fighter records. Their forum and writers are for the most part retarded. Mr Gross seems to be a good sportswriter, no wonder he left.

What's a "mook"?

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Royal, you know your stuff bro.

I missed that about Gary Shaw. It's about time, that guy is clueless on MMA. He only got into MMA for the money and after boxers (like Jeff Lacy) refused to work with him. I wonder how well his son will do, or if the guy is just a puppet like Don King's son is.

I haven't gone to Sherdog for years, other than to confirm fighter records. Their forum and writers are for the most part retarded. Mr Gross seems to be a good sportswriter, no wonder he left.

What's a "mook"?

$ka£a (Jared. I **** you not, that's how he spells it) is Gary's puppet.

A mook is an idiot. A moron. CBS replaced someone who knew a little bit about fighting with a guy who knows nothing about fighting. That's why Ken Shamrock was on the short list.

Gross left Sherdog because ESPN wasn't doing it's job and let him access UFC events to get to the hard hitting stories. SI just happened to want to open an MMA office at the time.

1bad65
08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
I've said that EliteXC will not survive long, and it looks like they are on their last legs. They replaced Gary Shaw to appease their current investors and attract new ones as well. Those people knew he was in idiot bleeding the company dry. Yet the morons at Elite are trying to fool the investors while still keeping him around. Pure idiocracy.

http://www.proeliteinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=84499&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1180961&highlight=

Gross left Sherdog because ESPN wasn't doing it's job and let him access UFC events to get to the hard hitting stories. SI just happened to want to open an MMA office at the time.

I remember a few years ago Dana White stopped giving Sherdog press credentials at UFC events. ESPN doesn't really cover MMA with their own guys, they let Sherdog's guys do it then just post the Sherdog stories and credit Sherdog. I bet that's why Gross couldn't access UFC events, because he still worked for Sherdog and not ESPN.

neils7147933
08-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Good post. True EliteXC's numbers are down and not looking good. Contrast that to Affliction's numbers which were great and has MMA fans waiting intently for their next show. The difference is that Affliction had a Main Event with two Top 5 HWs and a loaded undercard, while Elite had a circus act headline their cards and a pretty weak undercard.
And what I don't understand about that is that EliteXC has some legitimate talent in their organization...ProElite owns/works with how many feds - and they can't raid them all and put a fantastic card on CBS?

A show with Carano and another top female athlete, with Jake Shields, with Cung Le, with that 130lber from Cage Rage whose name is escaping me, and you can open the show with K. Shamrock vs. Kimbo or something to draw the fans in initially, but the rest of the card could be a good one... I don't understand why they won't go in that direction

1bad65
08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
EliteXC is in trouble because of their own stupidity. They have a hard time getting big name talent because they are having money trouble and because of banking on Kimbo and signing him to a multi-fight deal. Not only does he make way too much, certain fighters won't fight for them unless they are paid more than him. Shamrock and Elite could not come to terms for him to fight Kimbo, my guess is they tried to short him big time.

They can't bank too much on Carano because she has missed one fight due to illness and came in WAY overweight for her last fight. Also, there are rumors she is gonna quit MMA once her current contract is up.

Why they do not push Cung Le is a mystery to me. He is exciting and he brings in alot of Kung-Fu guys who normally do not watch MMA.

Blair_Wells#32
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
last i read bout Gannon he was Training at Team Sityodtong with them Mark Dellagrotte
who knows he may come into the fight in shape an surprise kimbo.

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Why they do not push Cung Le is a mystery to me. He is exciting and he brings in alot of Kung-Fu guys who normally do not watch MMA.

Because STRIKEFORCE and EXC are two seperate entities. EXC just helps co-produces their shows for Showtime. I think the next STRIKEFORCE is the first one they do by themselves.

1bad65
08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
last i read bout Gannon he was Training at Team Sityodtong with them Mark Dellagrotte
who knows he may come into the fight in shape an surprise kimbo.

He beat Kimbo last time and it was with the rules Kimbo wanted! All standup, no ground or clinch. I honestly think Gannon could win. James Thompson was the perfect opponent for Kimbo and he only lost because of his injured ear. If Kimbo loses to Gannon, the great hype machine will come to a grinding halt.

And last tme they fought, Gannon out-cardio'd him. Kimbo still has questionable cardio imo.

neils7147933
08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Because STRIKEFORCE and EXC are two seperate entities. EXC just helps co-produces their shows for Showtime. I think the next STRIKEFORCE is the first one they do by themselves.
CBS and Showtime are both owned by Viacom, though, so putting him on a CBS show wouldn't be much different...

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Showtime. NBC owns rights to STRIKEFORCE on the local level.

Sure it's on late. But that's them apples.

Cuauhtémoc1520
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know why all of a sudden Kimbo is the fav in this fight. I mean isn't Kimbo a bum? Isn't he just a street thiug that has embarassed the great and holy name of MMA?

Didn't Gannon beat him already in that famous street fight video? And is also the more accomplished MMA fighter?

It's just entertainment, like Butterbean in boxing. It doesn't tarnish the sport or take anything away from what any MMA fighter has done to this point, I will be tuning in just to see a KO.

Kakutogi-Gumi
08-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Paul Daley and Jake Sheilds should be headlining this match. Not the over grown cartoon.

And people are panicing because Kimbo is training full time and Gannon has not.

1bad65
08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, but prior to the Tompson fight they were saying how far Kimbo had come. How he was good on the ground too. We all saw how that fight went.

neils7147933
08-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Showtime. NBC owns rights to STRIKEFORCE on the local level.

Sure it's on late. But that's them apples.
I figured Strikeforce was paying for airtime with that 130 AM slot...

Harms
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't know why all of a sudden Kimbo is the fav in this fight. I mean isn't Kimbo a bum? Isn't he just a street thiug that has embarassed the great and holy name of MMA?

Didn't Gannon beat him already in that famous street fight video? And is also the more accomplished MMA fighter?

It's just entertainment, like Butterbean in boxing. It doesn't tarnish the sport or take anything away from what any MMA fighter has done to this point, I will be tuning in just to see a KO.

I wouldn't go with the more accomplished MMA fighter. He is only 1-1 professionally . THe Kimbo fight was a while back. I'm willing to bet that both have evolved their fight game since then. I'd have to see Gannon fight before I could pick him.