View Full Version : Where does Danny Williams rank among best British heavies of all time?

Willl
07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Seriously now. Top 20? 30? 40? I'm not sure. Let's have a look at his accomplishments.

2 time BBBofC British champion
2 time Commonwealth (British Empire) champion
1 time WBO Inter-Continental champion
1 time WBU International champion

8 Commonwealth (British Empire) title defenses
5 BBBofC British title defenses

1 time WBC title challenger
1 time RING Magazine title challenger
1 time EBU (European) title challenger
1 time IBF Inter-Continental title challenger

Derailed the careers of Mike Tyson and Audley Harrison. Vitali Klitschko has never been the same since he stepped in the ring with him. Infact, back in the day, Vitali vacated the WBO Inter-Continental title rather that fight Danny.

Your thoughts?

JF91
07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Seriously now. Top 20? 30? 40? I'm not sure. Let's have a look at his accomplishments.

2 time BBBofC British champion
2 time Commonwealth (British Empire) champion
1 time WBO Inter-Continental champion
1 time WBU International champion

8 Commonwealth (British Empire) title defenses
5 BBBofC British title defenses

1 time WBC title challenger
1 time RING Magazine title challenger
1 time EBU (European) title challenger
1 time IBF Inter-Continental title challenger

Derailed the careers of Mike Tyson and Audley Harrison. Vitali Klitschko has never been the same since he stepped in the ring with him. Infact, back in the day, Vitali vacated the WBO Inter-Continental title rather that fight Danny.

Your thoughts?

He's Up There.. Top 20.

TEDetc
07-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Vitali Klitschko has never been the same since he stepped in the ring with him

Erm what? Do you mean Danny Williams has never been the same since he stepped into the ring with Vitali?

BETTY SWOLLOCKS
07-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Erm what? Do you mean Danny Williams has never been the same since he stepped into the ring with Vitali?

Danny Williams retired Vitali. Its common knowledge, Vitali may have won the fight but the force of Dannys punches ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and caused Vitali to feel the true force of Dannys punches for a whole week after the fight.

Vitali decided there and then that he knew he had to retire and duck a rematch with Danny Williams rather than recieve another sustained beating.

TEDetc
07-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Danny Williams retired Vitali. Its common knowledge, Vitali may have won the fight but the force of Dannys punches ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and caused Vitali to feel the true force of Dannys punches for a whole week after the fight.

Vitali decided there and then that he knew he had to retire and duck a rematch with Danny Williams rather than recieve another sustained beating.

I'm guessing you're joking? Not sure though lol.

The Wire
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm guessing you're joking? Not sure though lol.
You're not sure if he's joking. So you actually think that he thinks that Danny Williams can punch holes in the space time continuum. Okaaay.......

Willl
07-31-2008, 06:39 AM
****in' hell Wire you posted in alot of threads this morning. And TEDetc, I was referring to the devastating injuries Danny afflicted on Vitali. The back, the knee, the neck etc. Plus he lost the election because of Danny Williams. Didn't you know?

The Wire
07-31-2008, 07:04 AM
****in' hell Wire you posted in alot of threads this morning. And TEDetc, I was referring to the devastating injuries Danny afflicted on Vitali. The back, the knee, the neck etc. Plus he lost the election because of Danny Williams. Didn't you know?
Some people don't realise the power of the Williams machine.

kamicazze
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
top 10 heavys

ophqui
08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
behind lennox, bruno, bugner and henry cooper. that makes him top 5

!! Anorak
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Let's be real here.... it's not like British heavies are a formidable bunch, is it?

Oasis_Lad
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
It's definitely between Danny, Frank and Lennox for me....ummmm... definitely.

lman2k2
10-24-2008, 06:05 AM
i think id take him on a good day,seroulsy tho top 10

Davros?
10-24-2008, 07:07 AM
behind lennox, bruno, bugner and henry cooper. that makes him top 5

1. Lewis
2. Bruno
3. Fitzsimmons
4. Bugner
5. Cooper

Gojira
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Dannys got a rematch with John McDermott on the 8th november this year.

Kid McCoy
10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
1. Lennox Lewis
2. Joe Bugner
3. Tommy Farr
4. Frank Bruno
5. Henry Cooper

Williams is somewhere below that group, but probably top 20.

Derranged
10-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Yea Williams was robbed in that fight. He kept slipping on the floor, from all those ketchup packets Williams had in his trunks. That was NOT blood on the mat.

RJJp4pbaby
10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
You're not sure if he's joking. So you actually think that he thinks that Danny Williams can punch holes in the space time continuum. Okaaay.......

Wouldn't be surprised coming from a brit. the hype around their fighters and the biased nature of their Tv commentary is disturbing. TBH that comment was obviously a joke but the thread starter seems pretty serious! in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king so who cares if Danny is top ten of 'British' heavyweights? i see kid mccoy's list has a canadian medallist and a hungarian in it! Ok you can have Bugner the Hungarian, but he's behind Cooper for me.

Kid McCoy
10-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't be surprised coming from a brit. the hype around their fighters and the biased nature of their Tv commentary is disturbing. TBH that comment was obviously a joke but the thread starter seems pretty serious! in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king so who cares if Danny is top ten of 'British' heavyweights? i see kid mccoy's list has a canadian medallist and a hungarian in it! Ok you can have Bugner the Hungarian, but he's behind Cooper for me.

Something like 37 members of America's Olympic team this year were born overseas. David Trezeguet, who scored the winning goal for France in Euro 2000, was born and raised in Argentina. I don't recall a murmur of complaint from either country.

So if having foreign-born and foreign-raised athletes representing them doesn't bother those fine nations, I don't see why it should bother us.

By the way, why do you rate Cooper over Bugner?

RJJp4pbaby
10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
buigner was a bum, but at least Cooper had power. He was just easily cut, so his skin was thin whcih hs nothing to do with his boxing skills.

the probelm with lewis is he was born in england but brought up in Canada where he lived and boxed well into his 20's. he represented thema t two olympics but then decided the cash register was bigger ine England. nothing about him in boxing terms is british and you know it, but have no other choice. Them athletes you mentioned probably had more to do with their country of choice than Lewis. A reporter mentioned what a fine weekend it had been for british sport (He Ko'd Tyson when England beat Argentina at World Cup, and soem **** happened in othjer sports too i think) and he replied 'big up the BRITISH football team'. That just about sums up how british he wasn't.

Kid McCoy
10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
buigner was a bum, but at least Cooper had power. He was just easily cut, so his skin was thin whcih hs nothing to do with his boxing skills.

the probelm with lewis is he was born in england but brought up in Canada where he lived and boxed well into his 20's. he represented thema t two olympics but then decided the cash register was bigger ine England. nothing about him in boxing terms is british and you know it, but have no other choice. Them athletes you mentioned probably had more to do with their country of choice than Lewis. A reporter mentioned what a fine weekend it had been for british sport (He Ko'd Tyson when England beat Argentina at World Cup, and soem **** happened in othjer sports too i think) and he replied 'big up the BRITISH football team'. That just about sums up how british he wasn't.

Cooper's power was overrated. He never KO'd a top-tier heavyweight. His chin was suspect too. I'm pretty sure Ali, Frazier and Lyle would beg to differ in your assessment of Bugner.

Among those American athletes at the Beijing games was a Kenyan whose name escapes me, who had previously competed at the Olympics for Kenya. In other words, he's about as American as Yuri Gagarin. He was nonetheless happy to drape himself in the star spangled banner after the race.

As for Trezeguet, he was born and raised in Argentina to Argentine parents. He made his pro debut for an Argentine club. In other words, he's about as French as Diego Maradona is. I doubt that little piece of trivia bothered many Frenchmen when he scored that golden goal for them.

I think you're blowing one quote from Lewis out of proportion. Former MP Baroness Williams once referred to the football team "Liverpool United". I guess being unable to identify two British cultural icons means she ain't British either, no?

RJJp4pbaby
10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah but I bet even she knew that the football team was ENGLAND! Not all toffs know about football but everyone knows that coz they live in England that gets all wet every four years with their car flags. Knwoing something that simple has nothing to do with being a football fan, but being english. Also the BARONESS was a WOMAN, so what the **** do they know anyway?

I never said them athletes at Olympics were Americans. i think croatia too had brazilians in their beach voleyball team or something, that were hired guns just like Eduardo in their footy team. Croatian my arse! Their all brazilians. Trezeguet is an Argie like you say, just like Cristian Vieri is an aussie and Aldridge a scouser. Bojan Krkic is both spanish and turkish and speaks both tongues. Lewis now claims to be Jamaican and affiliated himself to that nation. He is just one confused boy.

More importantly from a boxing point of view, he is a product of the Canadian system just as African born desailly is French, and Adu is American! The probelm is he was not produced over there in the UK, and just turbned up to ring cass register half way through his 20's. bugner on the other hand is a british product, even though he has hungarian born curls. he was a tough fighter, but not good enough (calling him a bum is harsh). Just like henry! TBH they are both about the same. I never seen tommy farr box and i bet alot of you limey's haven't either. The bottomline is danny williams being in top ten of UK heavies isn't saying much now is it?

Willl
10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Will you two shut the f*ck up and stop staining my epic Danny Williams thread with your baseless drivel. No one gives a f*ck. Take it to PM's. Thanks.

sportsfando
10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
I see there are lots of fellow danny williams fans in here, thought id share with you a great piece of memorabilia, a signed danny williams and mike tyson photo. ive seen it on buyoncegivetwice.co.uk, have a look

cheers

fight_professor
10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Williams is alright. I am a fan. He was (is) just short of world class. I think he'd beat Cooper, I know overall HC may rank above him, but in a head to head, I'd take him over British HW bar Lewis and maybe Bruno.

THE REED™
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM
tunney go sign into my poster awards thread

mickey malone
05-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Bugner had 84 fights with 16 defeats, fought the very best in the division & only got stopped 3 times.. Out of the 68 victories, more than 50% were inside the distance.. Infact, he was still beating ex champs way into his forties.. Hardly a bum..
Cooper on the other hand, got swatted round the ring far too often & still claims his greatest victory was against Zora Folley, who was hardly a world beater..

Lennox Lewis
Frank Bruno
Joe Bugner
Gary Mason
Danny Williams
Tommy Farr
Herbie Hyde
Henry Cooper
David Haye
Joe Erskine

Lennox Lewis was born in West Ham, East London.. He's English, but I agree, if boxing was big in Canada, he'd have stayed there..

~?DUFFGUN
05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
1. Lewis
2. Bruno
3. Fitzsimmons
4. Bugner
5. Cooper

I agree with Davros list

fight_professor
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Lennox, Bruno (punchers chance against both of them),

Bugner, Cooper. He's on their level. Top 5/6 HW in UK history.

Special K
05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Williams is utterly awful, obviously needs the money so keeps on.

GJC
05-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Bugner had 84 fights with 16 defeats, fought the very best in the division & only got stopped 3 times.. Out of the 68 victories, more than 50% were inside the distance.. Infact, he was still beating ex champs way into his forties.. Hardly a bum..
Cooper on the other hand, got swatted round the ring far too often & still claims his greatest victory was against Zora Folley, who was hardly a world beater..

Lennox Lewis
Frank Bruno
Joe Bugner
Gary Mason
Danny Williams
Tommy Farr
Herbie Hyde
Henry Cooper
David Haye
Joe Erskine

Lennox Lewis was born in West Ham, East London.. He's English, but I agree, if boxing was big in Canada, he'd have stayed there..
Bugner had a lot of the gifts needed just didn't seem to have the heart or the gambling instinct to go for it when he had his shots.

Mugwump
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Williams has a fair bit of talent, but he's mentally fragile. If he could believe in himself he'd be a real handfull. That said, he's got guts in spades. Fighting and WINNING with a dislocated shoulder is just sick.

Infern0
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Williams sucks ass, he beat a guy who used to be mike tyson and thats it. he is fat, slow not really that powerful and messy as hell.

Jonathan213
05-08-2009, 07:18 PM
nowhere he is a useless bum.

Albert_Flange
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Danny Williams has talent but lacks in his commitment.
He can go from winning a fight with 1 arm to losing to a bum.
Really nice guy but very frustrating to watch at times.