View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the Gi?

realkaps
08-25-2003, 10:26 AM
I am not talking about in grappling tournys. I mean in MMA, we seen people like Royce and Yoshida use it to their advantage, then we have seen people like Sak use it against the people who are wearing it. Discuss......

Mr. Beelzebub
08-25-2003, 10:35 AM
I think that in order to have a fair fight both fighters should wear similar fighting gear.

wondermut
08-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Altho I personally woulnt wear one if I fought MMA, I think it is up to the fighter. If the rules say its Ok.....go for it.

handjobs4dollars
08-25-2003, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't. I have no training at all in the gi. It would make you hotter and fighting over heated sucks ass. Alot of guys train with the gi and fight in mma. The last thing I need is somebody choking me out with my own gi.

Seraph_17
08-25-2003, 12:41 PM
I think most people would find the disadvantages outweight the advantages of wearing a gi in an MMA match but then I suppose a minority of fighters (like Royce Gracie for exaple) can use the advanatages of the gi extremmly well and so wear the gi as a prefference.

ronnie dobbs
08-25-2003, 01:54 PM
i think it all depends on the fighter. after royce won the first ufc's a couple of lames wore gi's thinking they were royce and got ****ed. i think if you are a ground fighter that trys alot of subs a gi might be an advantage but if you are going stand up and fight a gi would not be a good idea cus your enemy might grab you by your gi and punch the **** outta you.

Bluecifer
08-25-2003, 02:25 PM
I think a gi is more of a disadvantage.

Kempo Chris
08-25-2003, 04:02 PM
I don't like the gi's - I wouldn't fight in the ring with one on
I do however train with gi's every once and a while
And i think I am going to start working out with a gi, because It adds wieght and makes workouts more difficult, so after working out with a gi then working out without one I will feel much quicker
Gi's in the ring have alot of disadvantages - theres too much too grab - though there are advantages, i feel the disadvantages outwiegh the advantages

Zen
08-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Gman should have wore a gi.

realkaps
08-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Beelzebub
I think that in order to have a fair fight both fighters should wear similar fighting gear.

That is what I was thinking too.....

Fallout
08-26-2003, 10:15 AM
The only reason Yoshida and Royce where gi's (espically in the case of Yoshida) is the fact they would be totaly lost without them.

Gi's are a major disadvantage in todays MMA

Perchdogg
08-26-2003, 10:46 AM
gi's are a bit antiquated in reality combat... in my opinion, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, and that is all. There are plenty of AMAZING grapplers who never put on a gi (Hume, Barnett, Frank Shamrock, Hallman, Sakuraba, Takase, Sudo, Uno, etc.) and can still trade submissions with the very best of 'em.