View Full Version : Yoshida interview

KimuraMan
08-22-2003, 10:45 PM
PRIDE Fighting Championships: What was your impression of Tamura?

Yoshida: He's got great punches and kicks. When we clinched though, I felt that I was stronger and it was just a matter of figuring out how to overcome his striking.

PRIDE: What about when he took your back?

Yoshida: It didn't bother me. I was worried about his knees before that but I never felt in danger of being choked.

PRIDE: Do you think you were not being careful when you were hit and knocked down in the beginning?

Yoshida: I didn't even have time to not be careful (laughing). It knocked me down straight away. When I realized what was happening, he was already jumping towards me and I just got angry. It was like "you get hit, you hit back."

PRIDE: So you started trading with him.

Yoshida: I was thinking about striking from the beginning. It would be a waste of all the training I've received not to. I'd feel embarrassed to be in front of my trainer if I didn't get in at least one punch (laughing). In a way, it was like shedding my old skin. It was a good confidence builder and good practice for November.

PRIDE: What percent of your striking training were you able to use?

Yoshida: None at all. I was punching like I was in a street fight (laughing). My trainer told me, "That wasn't a punch. That was a clothes-line." I've got to keep my calm and not get aggravated. I also need to work on my guard and keeping the proper distance.

PRIDE: Were you planning on getting the sleeve-choke?

Yoshida: No, that's just how it turned out. When I got it on, I was just praying it would finish him.

PRIDE: What about the headlock?

Yoshida: Normally I can move from there to kesa-gatame and work for the finish but it looks like I haven't practiced it enough.

PRIDE: A lot of the fans want to see you up against Silva in the finals.

Yoshida: That's not up to me to decide. No matter who my opponent, I will be fighting as a Japanese fighter. It doesn't matter who my opponent is.

KimuraMan
08-22-2003, 10:46 PM
I had a feeling Yoshida was trying to test out his striking.

:fu:

I hope he doesnt test it out against any of the finalists because they are all vicious strikers and he'd get ****in killed

realkaps
08-22-2003, 10:52 PM
They are also good grapplers. The last question looks like they havnt set the brackets yet, I hope Chuck or Rampage gets Silva before the finals........

Zen
08-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Kaps and his Silva hating.......

DragonZero
08-22-2003, 11:26 PM
that would be great if silva fought liddell or rampage it'd be alot better then yoshida

KickYourHeadOff
08-22-2003, 11:46 PM
yoshida is ****ing dead, silva will kill him

realkaps
08-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Zen420
Kaps and his Silva hating.......

How was that hating? I am not denying my hatred for him but I dont see it in my previous comment. I would just like to see him fight a fresh Liddell or Rampage......

Zen
08-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Your right, I'm just so accustomed to the hate I can see it right through your posts. I just don't see how anyone can hate him with the approach he takes to fighting, I can see not being a fan, but you come across as having genuine disdain for the man.

realkaps
08-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Its not what he says and does that makes me hate him so much. It mostly his fans......