View Full Version : mouthpiece dillemma (gagging)

robstaaass
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
i'm guessing there are a few others on this forum who have the mouthpiece gagging problem...is there anything i can do to make it better? or maybe is there a mouthpiece that my fellow gaggers use to eliminate this problem? i'm a complete newb when it comes to boxing, just started as a matter of fact, so any advice would be awesome. thanks:boxing:

j
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
you may be gagging because the mouthpiece is too long. try to trim it. that should solve problem.

IBFHvyWtChamp
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I just trimmed mine and it fits perfectly now.

SOY-COMO-SOY
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you have a single or double mouthpiece. Try a double mouthpiece. I had a single mouthpiece back when i played football and it use to fall out easy and i use to gag. So my coach told me to switch to double mouthpiece. And now thats all I use. Here is the one i bought at academy: http://www.everlast.com/everlast-double-mouthguard.html but try to trim your mouthpiece first and then see whats what

IBFHvyWtChamp
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Do you have a single or double mouthpiece. Try a double mouthpiece. I had a single mouthpiece back when i played football and it use to fall out easy and i use to gag. So my coach told me to switch to double mouthpiece. And now thats all I use. Here is the one i bought at academy: http://www.everlast.com/everlast-double-mouthguard.html but try to trim your mouthpiece first and then see whats what

I would advise going to the double mouthpiece anyway. I used a single for a while and then tried the double and it works a lot better.

robstaaass
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
i will try the double, and trimming if i need to, thanks

JayCoe
07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
No, no, no, if you're new to boxing do not touch that mouthpeice. Mouthguards are horrible to have in your mouth, they make you feel sick and this is made worse when you feel tired. I remember my first spar with my new mouthguard, i'd only just got it that morning aswell so I hadn't got comfortable with it. The first time i'd worn it besides moulding it was in the ring. I felt as if I was going to be sick, honestly, I wasn't but it felt as if somebody had their finger down my throat. After that day I started to just wear it randomly abit more because when you feel ill like that you can't think properly and you need to be sharp as possible in the ring. I could still feel it, wasn't totally comfortable and then I started to train with it in aswell. So when I do bagwork I do it with a guard in now, now i'm used to it. In fact, I barely notice it.

Don't trim it yet! Wear it more, train with it on and get used to it. If it continues then trim it. If it's a 2 mouthguard, fine trim it now if you want, just buy another if it is too short. If it's a 20 or so one, don't trim it yet.

I was recommended that it's best to go to a dentist or another likewise professional who will mould one perfect for you with the specific thickness for degree of impact which you recieve boxing. These are better and fit perfectly, they give the best protection and they supposedly fit so well you can't tell they're in. I'm considering getting one because after all you only get 1 set of adult teeth and mouthguards are also important in regards to whether or not you get KO'd which alot of people overlook.

j
07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
he's right. it is best to go to dentist. they can send records to companies regarding specific fitting. but that is a tall order unless you are very serious. really, u should know if mouthguard ius too big or two small by wearing it for a while.

however, i have never felt sick from a mouthguard. so i have no idea what that means. if you gaga easily, chnaces are it is too long. you just have to feel it out. it is not a big deal unless you have really expensive mouth piece.

No, no, no, if you're new to boxing do not touch that mouthpeice. Mouthguards are horrible to have in your mouth, they make you feel sick and this is made worse when you feel tired. I remember my first spar with my new mouthguard, i'd only just got it that morning aswell so I hadn't got comfortable with it. The first time i'd worn it besides moulding it was in the ring. I felt as if I was going to be sick, honestly, I wasn't but it felt as if somebody had their finger down my throat. After that day I started to just wear it randomly abit more because when you feel ill like that you can't think properly and you need to be sharp as possible in the ring. I could still feel it, wasn't totally comfortable and then I started to train with it in aswell. So when I do bagwork I do it with a guard in now, now i'm used to it. In fact, I barely notice it.

Don't trim it yet! Wear it more, train with it on and get used to it. If it continues then trim it. If it's a 2 mouthguard, fine trim it now if you want, just buy another if it is too short. If it's a 20 or so one, don't trim it yet.

I was recommended that it's best to go to a dentist or another likewise professional who will mould one perfect for you with the specific thickness for degree of impact which you recieve boxing. These are better and fit perfectly, they give the best protection and they supposedly fit so well you can't tell they're in. I'm considering getting one because after all you only get 1 set of adult teeth and mouthguards are also important in regards to whether or not you get KO'd which alot of people overlook.

JayCoe
07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I was told it's about 50 from a Dentist. That's in the U.K though, in America medical services are a little more profit orientated. I spent 20 on my gumshield and 3 on postage, so that's 23 and as much as I trust my gumshield with retrospect i'd have rather shelled out the extra 27 and had something that is not even remotely loose, perfectly fitted and perfectly designed. When you put into context what 27 really means, it's nothing when you compare what you would spend that on - day to day - and how you can basically save that money back by just going without things which aren't needed for a week or two and there you go, you've got a gumshield for life.

danny stash
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I was told it's about 50 from a Dentist. That's in the U.K though, in America medical services are a little more profit orientated. I spent 20 on my gumshield and 3 on postage, so that's 23 and as much as I trust my gumshield with retrospect i'd have rather shelled out the extra 27 and had something that is not even remotely loose, perfectly fitted and perfectly designed. When you put into context what 27 really means, it's nothing when you compare what you would spend that on - day to day - and how you can basically save that money back by just going without things which aren't needed for a week or two and there you go, you've got a gumshield for life.
Rob order this one online and wear it when you hit the bag to get used to it....

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25011

Best one for the buck...its the shizz

KostyaTszyu44
07-23-2008, 07:32 AM

23 is like roughly $60 aus i think....u spent $60 on a mouthguard...you are an idiot, i spent $5 aus on mine and it fits fine, just need to mould and trim it, its ridiculous to spend that much on mouthguard, save that expense for boxing shorts or boots, gloves etc

Paardekopski
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM
if you gaga easily, chnaces are it is too long.

Dude....hahaha...I'm trying real hard not to respond :rofl:

JayCoe
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
You get what you pay for, I wouldn't even spar without a trusted gumshield which is actually tested. People who overlook mouthguards are mugs, when you buy a 2 one you are literally getting a peice of plastic which moulds when heated...And you buy that to protect you from concussion blows and teeth.

If you spend a little more, I think roughly 15 up most guards come with "free" insurance which they claim is a gurantee of quality so when you buy one of these you're also paying some money for the insurance. For the amount of money we're talking, a difference of say 10-15 or so you're better off buying a more "expensive one" and i'd also say buy one from the dentist but I can understand if people don't, I didn't but in a while I will.

icedog11
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
the gag reflex comes from the area inside the mouth behind the second molar, this area is refered to the soft palate. Any material pressing on this area will cause one to gag. shorting the mouthguard to half of the second molar should relieve the feeling.
Custom mouthguards are 1000% more protective than any store bought mouthguard,this si both for oral protection and concussion protection. For $50 US. you can get the same mouthguard worn by B-hop, and numerous members of the WEC and UFC as well as all of the almost defunct IFL http://www.customguards.com
these guards are designed with the gag reflex in mind and are so comfortble you will not even know you ae wearing it

Stormin' Norman
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
my old gym was so ****ing ghetto one brutha used wads of toilet paper instead of a piece when he sparred.

I cut my mouthpiece with scissors to fit right.

KostyaTszyu44
07-24-2008, 06:43 AM
the gag reflex comes from the area inside the mouth behind the second molar, this area is refered to the soft palate. Any material pressing on this area will cause one to gag. shorting the mouthguard to half of the second molar should relieve the feeling.
Custom mouthguards are 1000% more protective than any store bought mouthguard,this si both for oral protection and concussion protection. For $50 US. you can get the same mouthguard worn by B-hop, and numerous members of the WEC and UFC as well as all of the almost defunct IFL http://www.customguards.com
these guards are designed with the gag reflex in mind and are so comfortble you will not even know you ae wearing it

shut up, you a a ***** and you annoy me with your 200 word posts that could be summed up in a single sentence

danny stash
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
shut up, you a a ***** and you annoy me with your 200 word posts that could be summed up in a single sentence
And this post above folks is the voice of ignorance....

icedog11
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
KostyaTszyu44
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 9,270.68
Donate

member for 12 days and 337 post, get out of your moms basement son.

danny stash
07-24-2008, 08:02 PM
KostyaTszyu44
Contender

Donate

I saw the same thing, what a ****ing loser...

robstaaass
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Rob order this one online and wear it when you hit the bag to get used to it....

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25011

Best one for the buck...its the shizz

i just bought that one today, along with one ****ty one, and a double mouthguard....they all fit decent right now and surprisingly not too bad on the gag. i'm gonna get a few more and another double to get the perfect fit.

KostyaTszyu44
07-25-2008, 04:35 AM
KostyaTszyu44
Contender

Donate

ohhhhhhh sorryyy i cllicked reply and didnt look, i was meaning to say that to jaycoe....i actaully was lol sorry man

KostyaTszyu44
07-25-2008, 04:37 AM
I saw the same thing, what a ****ing loser...

shut up, you're a dumb cunt, i didnt even mean to say it to him, i was talking to jaycoe, i didnt look which reply button i clicked, and as a matter of fact YOU ARE A ****ING DICKSUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

you and jaycoe pisss me off the most so just get ****ed mr stash