View Full Version : Shadowboxing video

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
one round at the gym

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-IgpewdOVc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-IgpewdOVc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PunchDrunk
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Good fundamentals.
If I trained you, I'd have you work more on feints and movement before and after throwing punches. Also, you seem to move to the left as a matter of habit. Go to the right a lot more, especially after throwing punches.

I realize it's just some easy shadow boxing, but that kind of stuff needs to be repeated from the ground up, over and over.

j
07-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Good fundamentals.
If I trained you, I'd have you work more on feints and movement before and after throwing punches. Also, you seem to move to the left as a matter of habit. Go to the right a lot more, especially after throwing punches.

I realize it's just some easy shadow boxing, but that kind of stuff needs to be repeated from the ground up, over and over.

punchdrunk, check PMs.

j
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
i watched about half of it. you definitely have a boxers' form.

did you want constructive criticism? or just want to know if people like your ****?

edit: they train karate where u are at too?

mr tricky
07-20-2008, 06:28 PM
very very good,

mabey you could try to throw with more intensity and snap in your punches,

but otherwise very good

j
07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
very very good,

mabey you could try to throw with more intensity and snap in your punches,

but otherwise very good

yeah, i would say the same too. i would also add the importance of fluidity and continuity of movement.

sweet*science
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I am no expert but something I noticed is that you throw your hook rather low. It isn't shoulder to cheek to prevent being countered. I didn't see a hook thrown high enough to protect you from a counter. Thats the one thing I picked up on almost immediately because my previous trainer worked with me a lot on that especially after i hurt my arm throwing my hooks wrong. Nice vid FLIP

danny stash
07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
practice like you fight...

peewee1460
07-20-2008, 08:24 PM
your fundamentals are sound and you were very well trained. if i were you i would focus on just increasing your punch output and speed.

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
your fundamentals are sound and you were very well trained. if i were you i would focus on just increasing your punch output and speed.

yeah i noticed that to like the last 30 seconds there were some speed in it but i know i should have done it more. but for some reason when you tape yourself shadowboxing you get hella tired hella fast

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I am no expert but something I noticed is that you throw your hook rather low. It isn't shoulder to cheek to prevent being countered. I didn't see a hook thrown high enough to protect you from a counter. Thats the one thing I picked up on almost immediately because my previous trainer worked with me a lot on that especially after i hurt my arm throwing my hooks wrong. Nice vid FLIP

yeh i seen that to i usually do bring it up higher but i guess it was just off when i recorded this vid. thanks

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-20-2008, 11:28 PM
i watched about half of it. you definitely have a boxers' form.

did you want constructive criticism? or just want to know if people like your ****?

edit: they train karate where u are at too?

a little bit of both man haha. but yeah us karate and boxing is what my gym is called. its where nonito donaire and glenn donaire train at too.

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
practice like you fight...

usually when i shadowbox i just work on technique and staying relaxed and get that muscle memory workin with the defense. i usually practice how i fight when i hit the bag or mitts nawmean?

danny stash
07-21-2008, 12:17 AM
usually when i shadowbox i just work on technique and staying relaxed and get that muscle memory workin with the defense. i usually practice how i fight when i hit the bag or mitts nawmean?
You are a VERY talented kid, I just think you need to throw with intention, also circle right a touch more. You circle left very naturally but right is forced. You are very talented and sorry if my first critique was harsh, think I was jealous!

:)

!! Shawn
07-21-2008, 01:09 AM
one round at the gym

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-IgpewdOVc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-IgpewdOVc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looks good. You got a few Cottoish mannerisms going on.

!! Shawn
07-21-2008, 01:13 AM
yeh i seen that to i usually do bring it up higher but i guess it was just off when i recorded this vid. thanks

You have the same problem I have. Throwing hooks when shadow boxing feels un-natural and always ends up looking strange.

My best advice to you would be ignore anything you hear on this forum. You look like you know what you are doing, and any criticisms people give you are simply them stroking their own egos.

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-21-2008, 02:31 AM
You are a VERY talented kid, I just think you need to throw with intention, also circle right a touch more. You circle left very naturally but right is forced. You are very talented and sorry if my first critique was harsh, think I was jealous!

:)

fo sho man IF i record again i will put that on. i needed some criticism anyway. i need a trainer.thanks for the replies

KostyaTszyu44
07-21-2008, 05:24 AM
hey i only watched a bit but you were looking good mate, just as punch drunk said try moving in all directions, think like you have an opponent in front of you.....

but good very good, you look well trained and conditioned, how many fights have you had?

supRa
07-21-2008, 05:37 AM
nice man, u got it, nice movement and ur punches look nice

Hearnsz
07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Question about shadowboxing:
Everytime I see someone (amateur or pro) do it, they throw relatively short punches and don't use their whole body alot. It usually looks more like arm punches. Which results in a lot higher/faster punchrate but they look all look like weak punches imo.
So what's the deal with that?

About the video itself:
Nice imo, only flaw I noticed was that you should keep your right elbow closer to your liver while punching with the left.

KostyaTszyu44
07-21-2008, 08:01 AM
because shadowboxing is usually used to warm up maybe? not sure

at my gym we throw long punches in shadowboxing and we do it all the time to work on technique and get warmed up and that, its very important

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
hey i only watched a bit but you were looking good mate, just as punch drunk said try moving in all directions, think like you have an opponent in front of you.....

but good very good, you look well trained and conditioned, how many fights have you had?

i should have like 4 already but everytime one came up something always happened and it got cancelled. but thanks for the replies

Darkstranger
07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Well done mate, looking good!

Keep up the good work! I know how frustrating it is when your fights are cancelled. I've had 3 cancelled so far, one after the actual weigh in itself!

P4PKING_2008
07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Well done mate, looking good!

Keep up the good work! I know how frustrating it is when your fights are cancelled. I've had 3 cancelled so far, one after the actual weigh in itself!

What for???????????????

Darkstranger
07-22-2008, 11:05 AM
What for???????????????

The opponent backed out after the weigh in, his club had a word with the officials who said the weight difference was too much, despite the fact it's the Super Heavyweight Division.

Funny thing is that it was the other club who really pushed for the fight despite the fact that he was 24lbs lighter than me, my coach just said that's down to them we'll take the bout. Rumour has it that they were expecting me to be 245lbs of lard, which is all too common in the division.