View Full Version : Single or double mouth guard? Non slip headgear?

Zarco
07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
What do you guys prefer on the mouth guard? What about the head gear that has the non slip material as opposed to the ones that just have leather on the inside?

JayCoe
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I asked a coach this question a while back, his answer was pretty clear, single mouthguard. I personally wanted a double because I thought it would offer better protection to my lower teeth and gave a specific area to breathe out of. He never said why a single was better, he just seemed pretty sure about it and he knows a hell of a lot more than I do so I just trusted him. With that in mind, i'd just say get a single.

mkm88414
07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
ive always preferred single. i hear a good single offers great protection, fits perfect and doesnt interfere with breathing at all, i have yet to find a good single by that definition.

doubles ALWAYS interfere with breathing for me. yes it has designated breathing ventilation but its breathing out of a small hole, or a bunch of small holes.

fraidycat
07-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I have no problem breathing with a double mouthguard.

The double mouthguard is designed to prevent the most common concussion and KO circumstance in boxing, which is when a straight punch to the chin drives the lower half of the jawbone against the base of the skull. A double mouthguard holds the lower jaw forward and keeps this from happening. It also forces you to keep your jaw clenched even when breathing through your mouth (you WILL breathe through your mouth after you've been hit in the nose a few times), which also lessens the impact of a straight punch to the chin, and a hook or uppercut to the jaw.

The best headgear I have found for non-slip is the Rival RHG Pro headgear. It's built oblong, not round. It doesn't get knocked sideways by hooks because the front and back are narrower than the sides. Your skull, as it happens, is oblong. I don't know why it took a headgear designer this long to develop headgear that isn't round.

I have heard that the Winning gear is excellent at non-slip but I haven't tried it.

peewee1460
07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
i've used this type of mouthguard for years and have yet to be knocked out.

http://www.everlast.com/everlast-mouthguard-brain-pad-high-performance-model.html

P4PKING_2008
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
i've used this type of mouthguard for years and have yet to be knocked out.

http://www.everlast.com/everlast-mouthguard-brain-pad-high-performance-model.html

But, then again you haven't took my check hook yet.