View Full Version : DON KING sings deal with I.C.C!!!!

Mr. Beelzebub
08-19-2003, 09:33 AM
This is being reported on www.mmaweekly.com :

In a very surprising turn of events, the ICC announced on their website they have a new partner. And it looks as though it could change the way that MMA is viewed and presented in promoting the business in the United States. The ICC has announced a partnership with Don King Productions. Here's the official press release from the website.

"International Cage Combat is proud to announce our new partnership with Don King productions.

"We are very excited to be bringing Mr. Kings 40 plus years of promotional skills to the world of Mixed Martial Arts. From the Rumble in the Jungle to the Rise of Iron Mike King has been the driving force behind the biggest shows, the largest PPV and ever major headline in the boxing world. We feel that this partnership will finally propel Mixed Martial Arts into the mainstream and give the sport the kick it needs to make it to the next level.

"Our next card will be in Las Vegas in October. We are looking for first rate, exciting fighters to step up and be part of this thrilling new venture.

"This will just be the first of many cards to come and we will be looking for fighters on a weekly basis soon enough. We will be holding a series of tournaments to determine our champions in all weight classes. Are you Ready?"

Discuss

lightweight
08-19-2003, 09:37 AM
This could be very good, or bad. I hope this doesn't corrupt the sport.

realkaps
08-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by lightweight

The Ensanity
08-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by lightweight

Fury Dragon
08-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Definitely agree...

Seraph_17
08-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Does this mean ICC weill start making some big PPV's in the US?

The Ensanity
08-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Seraph_17
Does this mean ICC weill start making some big PPV's in the US? Yes...

Don King isnt going to promote ANYTHING small time

Its going to rival the UFC...and the pay will only get better and better so they will have good fighters going there too

realkaps
08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
This is all true. If Don King doesnt **** with our sport, ICC will probably be bigger than UFC. Plus he can get boxers he manages to jump in and boost PPV ratings......

The Ensanity
08-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kaps
This is all true. If Don King doesnt **** with our sport, ICC will probably be bigger than UFC. Plus he can get boxers he manages to jump in and boost PPV ratings...... EXACTLY

He can talk alot of boxers into doing it...

HATE him or love him, King is the best fight promoter on the planet.

realkaps
08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
But what we would have to look out for is a big name boxer than King promotes having worked fights and ****.....

Bluecifer
08-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Don King is a HUGE jumpstart for MMA. I'm not worried about out sport being corrupted because it already is a little bit. Just comes with the territory.

The Ensanity
08-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by kaps
But what we would have to look out for is a big name boxer than King promotes having worked fights and ****..... I really dont think he will have worked fights for a while. Boxing is at a low right now….NO big name HW’s that a NON boxing fan can get excited for….If Don can get him the equivalent of an Ali or a Tyson(the early years) in mma, he WONT fix fights…

Let Don get a CroCop or Tito….Guys THAT DOMINATES there weight class and he will be fine….Plus a fix fight wont happen till MMA start bringing in Boxing type money, that’s when you got to watch out

Crystalline Dream
08-19-2003, 01:01 PM
nothing good will come of this. Trust me...

realkaps
08-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Well with Don King promoting, we might actually start seeing some fighters getting more money. If he pays well enough, lots of guys from the UFC are going to jump ship.....

realkaps
08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Crystalline Dream
nothing good will come of this. Trust me...

What about major media attention? What about higher paid fighters? What about someone that can pay enough to make the fights we want to see happen, happen?

Crystalline Dream
08-19-2003, 01:11 PM
okay let me rephrase what Im saying. The way that Don King propmotes events is ****ing stage play. If ICC isn't careful about the guidlines they give King when he promotes, they are going to turn themselves into a joke. It will bring more money into the sport, and more media attention, but who can look at Don King's track record and seriously say it the kind of attention MMA deserves?