View Full Version : Best way to tone and get some definition....

Sage84
07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, need some help..

I m physically fit at the moment but i use to be on the LARGE side, i ve worked hard to get my weight down as well as keep some muscle :) and i m happy at the moment, i m 6ft and around 185lbs

Basically what i was wondering was what is the best exercise(s) or foods to help tone the 'loose' bits and give my body more definition (especially around my stomach) is there certain foods i should avoid?? I m thinking lifting, crunches, situps etc...

I eat well anyway and train hard but i just want to tighten everything up a little....

Thanks alot in advance...

:boxing:

Fidayin
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey guys, need some help..

I m physically fit at the moment but i use to be on the LARGE side, i ve worked hard to get my weight down as well as keep some muscle :) and i m happy at the moment, i m 6ft and around 185lbs

Basically what i was wondering was what is the best exercise(s) or foods to help tone the 'loose' bits and give my body more definition (especially around my stomach) is there certain foods i should avoid?? I m thinking lifting, crunches, situps etc...

I eat well anyway and train hard but i just want to tighten everything up a little....

Thanks alot in advance...

:boxing:

cardio is the best, crunches don't burn many callories so you don't have to do those. Just run or cycles if u want to lose fat.

Sage84
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Its not fat i wanna lose...I ve been doing alot of cardio and i m happy with my weight i just wanna get toned, tighten up my stomach and chest more than anything..

Shambleton
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Its not fat i wanna lose...I ve been doing alot of cardio and i m happy with my weight i just wanna get toned, tighten up my stomach and chest more than anything..

To be toned, you've gotta lose weight.

You get a sixpack from the kitchen as much as the gym.

eman-resu
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Workout and diet and get down to the 150-160 range and you'll lose it all.

PunchDrunk
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

There are two ways to get more toned: Lose fat, or build muscle.

peewee1460
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
There are two ways to get more toned: Lose fat, or build muscle.

that pretty much sums it up

Fidayin
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM

if u don't look ript it means u have fat so u need to lose the fat.
Or you can bulk up and build muscle but then u wont lose the fat, u will get more muscle but still not look ript.

PunchDrunk
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
if u don't look ript it means u have fat so u need to lose the fat.
Or you can bulk up and build muscle but then u wont lose the fat, u will get more muscle but still not look ript.

More muscle with the same amount of fat = lower fat % = more ripped than before. It is really quite simple, the more muscle, the more visible it'll be.

Fidayin
07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
More muscle with the same amount of fat = lower fat % = more ripped than before. It is really quite simple, the more muscle, the more visible it'll be.

yeas but it's very hard to bulk clean. Most likely he will add lots of fat when he bulks.

Hearnsz
07-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I heard the fat at your stomach is the fat you burn last. For guys it's the stomach and for girls the ass. Is this true?

To the threadstarter: when you're going to work on your cardio you should avoid eating too much sugar before. Because you're muscles only start burning fat when all the sugarsupply has run out.

Btw Fridayin, een beetje een onnozele vraag: Wat is uw echte naam nu eigenlijk? :D Mijne is Rafael natuurlijk maar de meeste mensen noemen mij Raf

P4PKING_2008
07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I heard the fat at your stomach is the fat you burn last. For guys it's the stomach and for girls the ass. Is this true?

To the threadstarter: when you're going to work on your cardio you should avoid eating too much sugar before. Because you're muscles only start burning fat when all the sugarsupply has run out.

Btw Fridayin, een beetje een onnozele vraag: Wat is uw echte naam nu eigenlijk? :D Mijne is Rafael natuurlijk maar de meeste mensen noemen mij Raf

Yes it is. That is why it is so hard to get 6 pack abs. Your body fat needs to be below a certain value for them to show. Sit ups etc. only strengthen the abs. It is mainly diet that will get you a 6 pack.

mspiegelo
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes it is. That is why it is so hard to get 6 pack abs. Your body fat needs to be below a certain value for them to show. Sit ups etc. only strengthen the abs. It is mainly diet that will get you a 6 pack.

yea- look at all the dudes in africa and the carribean with 6 and 8 packs. you think they do 500 crunches a day? no, but they have a way lower caloric intake then americans and europeans. we all have six packs, they are just buried under fat in most people. you still wanna strenthen your abdominal muscles and lower back muscles to have a stronger core which will absorb punches better and give you more stability and even more power, but it won't affect your six pack much.

diet is key and so is more cardio... try not drinking anything other than water and seltzer. thats the best way to avoid unneccessary sugars and the worst- the dreaded HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP- AAAAHHHHHH!

Natterner
07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
you want to lose fat

cut dairy and dead animal flesh..the weight dissappears..ive been vegan for two years...6'3" and fluxuate from 176-183....used a vegan protein shake from Dherbs.com one year and worked out usin the bartendaz program..put on 18 pounds of str8 muscle..whey protein..soy protein etc...garbage....

Sage84
07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Cheers guys, i guess its more cardio then, i already eat well anyway :)

Trrmo
07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
you want to lose fat

cut dairy and dead animal flesh..the weight dissappears..ive been vegan for two years...6'3" and fluxuate from 176-183....used a vegan protein shake from Dherbs.com one year and worked out usin the bartendaz program..put on 18 pounds of str8 muscle..whey protein..soy protein etc...garbage....

Cutting dairy and dead animal flesh is not necessarily going to mean you will lose weight. I eat dead animal flesh with most of fat removed. I havent tried live animal flesh but dead animal flesh is good to eat when it is cooked and contains losts of protein.

Natterner
07-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Cutting dairy and dead animal flesh is not necessarily going to mean you will lose weight. I eat dead animal flesh with most of fat removed. I havent tried live animal flesh but dead animal flesh is good to eat when it is cooked and contains losts of protein.

no it does..trust me...well as long as you replace it with whole foods(NATURAL non gmo fruits and vegatables...nuts..seeds..non gluten grains)

dead animal flesh contains no protein..unless you eat it raw..(reason some eat raw eggs) amino acids build muscle not dead animal flesh or whey....

like ive said before...you dont eat hair to grow hair...so why do some thing you eat flesh to gain flesh...its all biological ....aminos build muscle...foods with HIGH complete amino content....almonds...sunflower seeds...walnuts..kale...mustard greens...romaine lettuce...collard greens..broccoli..among others

Shambleton
07-19-2008, 06:03 PM
no it does..trust me...well as long as you replace it with whole foods(NATURAL non gmo fruits and vegatables...nuts..seeds..non gluten grains)

dead animal flesh contains no protein..unless you eat it raw..(reason some eat raw eggs) amino acids build muscle not dead animal flesh or whey....

like ive said before...you dont eat hair to grow hair...so why do some thing you eat flesh to gain flesh...its all biological ....aminos build muscle...foods with HIGH complete amino content....almonds...sunflower seeds...walnuts..kale...mustard greens...romaine lettuce...collard greens..broccoli..among others

I used to be veggie, I still ate dairy but I found my diet suffered because my usual menu totally changed. I eat all of the stuff you have listed as high amino content, I snack on sunflower seeds between meals if i get hungry instead of eating potato crisps or whatever.
I now eat meat but only mainly once or twice a week and hardly ever red meat. Mainly chicken, turkey or fish.

BTW do you eat eggs, this was the one thing that I could never do without, I eat 6 eggs a week on average.

Trrmo
07-19-2008, 07:22 PM

They are good foods to eat that you listed, but you can still gain fat if you have a calorie deficit.

Now I assume you are talking about what is commonly called ´meat´when you talk about dead animal flesh. So are you saying that cooked meat such as beef, chicken etc contains NO protein when it is cooked? well actually thats what you did say.... WTF?????

j
07-19-2008, 07:39 PM
tennis!!!!!!!!!

Trrmo
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
They are good foods to eat that you listed, but you can still gain fat if you have a calorie deficit.

I meant calorie surplus not deficit

Natterner
07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
I used to be veggie, I still ate dairy but I found my diet suffered because my usual menu totally changed. I eat all of the stuff you have listed as high amino content, I snack on sunflower seeds between meals if i get hungry instead of eating potato crisps or whatever.
I now eat meat but only mainly once or twice a week and hardly ever red meat. Mainly chicken, turkey or fish.

BTW do you eat eggs, this was the one thing that I could never do without, I eat 6 eggs a week on average.

no I eat no animal products whatsoever

Natterner
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Now I assume you are talking about what is commonly called ´meat´when you talk about dead animal flesh. So are you saying that cooked meat such as beef, chicken etc contains NO protein when it is cooked? well actually thats what you did say.... WTF?????
yes its true...cooked meat contains no protein

you have to eat it raw to get aminos(protein)

markeeta
07-21-2008, 01:01 AM
yes its true...cooked meat contains no protein

you have to eat it raw to get aminos(protein)

****. you learn something new every day. i might go one step further and start eating all my animals before i shoot them... bet i'll get even more aminos then!

Trrmo
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
****. you learn something new every day. i might go one step further and start eating all my animals before i shoot them... bet i'll get even more aminos then!

LOL, or just drink the blood from a live cow like the Masai in Africa do.

Any way you heard it here from Natterner COOOKED MEAT MEAT CONTAINS NO PROTEIN!

Like to name your sources Nat?

and that photo is a little scary Markeeta!

markeeta
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
LOL, or just drink the blood from a live cow like the Masai in Africa do.

Any way you heard it here from Natterner COOOKED MEAT MEAT CONTAINS NO PROTEIN!

Like to name your sources Nat?

and that photo is a little scary Markeeta!

I wish I had a boxing boot for every time someone mentioned my aviatar...I'd have quite a few pairs... Flawless is in charge of my avitars, please address all concerns to him...:wave:

Tenacious
07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
If cooked meat has no protien then why do bodybuilders eat a massive amount of it and gain a **** load of muscle?!

marshallstack
07-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Thats just stupid. I eat a ****load of red meat. I eat cooked burgers, raw and cooked deer, I eat cooked chicken, i eat raw and cooked fish, even fish straight out of the water still flopping, i eat cooked pork, cooked crab, cooked shrimp, cooked squirrel, possom and even racoon. I eat mayo, butter, cheese, and drink milk and eat fried eggs. If it walks on four legs I've eaten it except for dogs. I think I had the cat at the local chinese place. and on that diet i gained 15 pounds of muscle in a year when i was a senior in high school.

You can't convince me that cooked meat has no protien. Anyone who believes that is not thinking for themselves.

If I do curls until I cant touch my shoulders and butterflys til my pecs twitch I can go home and eat a piece of chicken, a hamburger and some macaroni and the next morning I feel completely recovered. So cooked animals are good for you. The bible says to eat the fat of the land.

Man, if you wanna rip up eat only steak or chicken, don't avoid the fat on steak and don't pull the skin off the chicken. Your joints need fat for lubrication. while on this diet lift the hell outta the wieghts. and do a lot of sit ups. If you are building muscle you will burn fat. Make sure to do some cardio to keep up your endurance so you don't peter out halfway through a fight. And don't focus on wieght too much. Use the mirror and a tape measure to track progress.
If i was 185 i'd be thrilled. Just keep working out.

Darkstranger
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Try introducing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Sprints} into your routine! I've found that it's far more effective for losing body fat whilst maintaining my muscle mass.

Sage84
07-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I ve started swimming in the mornings before work, then gym at night...a few carbs during the day and protein for dinner....the swimming is killing me lol, there is some total machines at my pool and they just dont bloody stop!! I thought i had stamina but its nothing compared to some of them!!

BETTY SWOLLOCKS
07-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Swimmings all down to technique. My friend smokes all the time, i can run literally 10 times further than him without gassing. Put us in a swimming pool however and he leaves me for dust. He used to swim for my local borough and says its 90% technique and breathing rhythym.

sukhenkoy
07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Swimmings all down to technique. My friend smokes all the time, i can run literally 10 times further than him without gassing. Put us in a swimming pool however and he leaves me for dust. He used to swim for my local borough and says its 90% technique and breathing rhythym.

I think the technique comes into play when you want to swim farther, faster, etc. Kind of a competitive scenario. I think swimming is a HELL of a cardio workout - gets me absolutely knackered after I'm done with it.

I think a swimming workout is great for a boxer cardiowise, even if he/she doesn't have the swimming technique to swim very fast. You can still swim at a moderate pace, continuously, and run out of breath in 10 minutes.

Natterner
07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
If cooked meat has no protien then why do bodybuilders eat a massive amount of it and gain a **** load of muscle?!

your body produces protein itself..it transforms carbons..sugars and starches into aminos...meat has little to do with it

Natterner
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Thats just stupid. I eat a ****load of red meat. I eat cooked burgers, raw and cooked deer, I eat cooked chicken, i eat raw and cooked fish, even fish straight out of the water still flopping, i eat cooked pork, cooked crab, cooked shrimp, cooked squirrel, possom and even racoon. I eat mayo, butter, cheese, and drink milk and eat fried eggs. If it walks on four legs I've eaten it except for dogs. I think I had the cat at the local chinese place. and on that diet i gained 15 pounds of muscle in a year when i was a senior in high school.

You can't convince me that cooked meat has no protien. Anyone who believes that is not thinking for themselves.

If I do curls until I cant touch my shoulders and butterflys til my pecs twitch I can go home and eat a piece of chicken, a hamburger and some macaroni and the next morning I feel completely recovered. So cooked animals are good for you. The bible says to eat the fat of the land.

Man, if you wanna rip up eat only steak or chicken, don't avoid the fat on steak and don't pull the skin off the chicken. Your joints need fat for lubrication. while on this diet lift the hell outta the wieghts. and do a lot of sit ups. If you are building muscle you will burn fat. Make sure to do some cardio to keep up your endurance so you don't peter out halfway through a fight. And don't focus on wieght too much. Use the mirror and a tape measure to track progress.
If i was 185 i'd be thrilled. Just keep working out.

your in for a dis-eased filled life with that diet...if you want to use the bible..it also says let herbs be the healing of the world...and eat the flesh from the trees...IE flesh of fruit and vegatables...and also the most high doesnt dwell in temples made with hands...but you still see people eating lamb..swine..cows...going to worship in church...mosque..synogogue etc.

Trrmo
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
So you are a vegan bible preaching fundamentalist who likes to punch people? Interesting.

danny stash
07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi vege-protein diet with lean meats, fish and chix coupled with lots of water and running, preverably interval training and no carbs after 3-4 PM...

The recipe for sucess.

Sage84
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Yeah i agree. A couple of these people at the pool seem to have perfect technique, like they have been swimming for years or for some kind of team/club. My technique isnt great and the breathing is something i kinda knew about anyway and have been trying to work on....its slowly getting better :)

Its a hell of a cardio work out, i m worn out by the end of the session, its gonna improve stamina more than anything and work some normally un-used muscles, not sure how good it is for weight loss though...half an hour swim vs half an hour run?...

Natterner
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
So you are a vegan bible preaching fundamentalist who likes to punch people? Interesting.
huh?:lol1:

Tenacious
07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi vege-protein diet with lean meats, fish and chix coupled with lots of water and running, preverably interval training and no carbs after 3-4 PM...

The recipe for sucess.

Great advice right here, i would also include lifting some weights too that will speed up the process .

Sage84
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM

The recipe for sucess.

Ok, thanks, good advice :)

Whats the deal with carbs? i was under the impression that they were fuel more than anything, as long as u worked out then they couldnt do u any harm?? (ie putting fat on)...

danny stash
07-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, thanks, good advice :)

Whats the deal with carbs? i was under the impression that they were fuel more than anything, as long as u worked out then they couldnt do u any harm?? (ie putting fat on)...
Carbs are sugars which are used as fuel, if they are not used they are stored as fat. You dont need any more "fuel" after 3-4 PM. You burn off what you need and thus you are losing fat. And yes I would include some weight training as energy is burned in the muscles and the more muscles the more energy being burned. You get the idea.

GL

BrooklynBomber
07-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Get some AIDS, it will tone you up.

Sage84
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Carbs are sugars which are used as fuel, if they are not used they are stored as fat. You dont need any more "fuel" after 3-4 PM. You burn off what you need and thus you are losing fat. And yes I would include some weight training as energy is burned in the muscles and the more muscles the more energy being burned. You get the idea.

GL

Thanks man, some really helpful stuff from everyone! Its seems that for the most part the only sensible convo u can get is in the Training and Nutrition part of this forum.

BETTY SWOLLOCKS
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I've been trying burpee intervals with shadow boxing. They are excellent, i swear i sweat more doing 16 minutes of them then i ever have doing 30-40 minute runs.

6 rounds of them will have you crying like a *****. I most certainly was when i first did them.

Heres the link to the page where i got it from.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

That Rossboxing site is very good!