View Full Version : Nutrition for boxers

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I have noticed people still posting about nutrition when alot of the time it comes down to some simple rules and basic mathematics.

I have posted this before but though I would start a thread with it.

First of all, read this! an excellent link to nutrition for Boxing

http://www.hyperstrike.com/Nutrition-for-Boxing-Article-148.aspx

Once you have a basic understanding of boxing nutrition needs you need to apply it to your own particular situation.

If you have got MS Excel on your computer do a list of all the foods you generally eat. Have a column for grams of protein carbs fat and total calories/kilojoules.

Look at the labels on the food you eat or go here to calculate: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrient.htm

Note what you eat and fill in your nutrition chart, you can get Excel to do the calculations automatically, so you can see your daily calorie intake.

Roughly work out your Base Metabolism Rate - there is a BMR calculator here http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

this will help you calculate the amount of calories you need to maintain weight for your weight/age/activity level. To lose weight start by dropping 2-300 calories from your BMR level and weigh yourself each morning.

Protein should be around .8 grams per pound you weigh, I weigh 77 kilograms and eat 2000 cals daily, normally 140 gms protein 260 gms carbs 50 gms fat. (this will depend on your goals whether you are trying to gain or lose weight, fat or muscle - I am trying to lose about 2 kilograms, to gain muscle I eat around 2300 + cals), the link to boxing nutrition above lists ideal amount of protein, carbs and fats in your diet.

Regardless of the protein/carb/fat ratio it is overall calories in versus calories out through exercise which will determine if you gain or lose weight.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse to calculate what you eat at first but after a while you will know instinctively. I have fine tuned it now so I know nearly exactly what I need to eat to gain maintain or lose weight. Dont make huge changes or try to lose more than 1 pound or so a week.

I personally dont worry about timing that much as long as overall calories goals are met for the day.

This works for me and cuts out the guesswork, pretty soon you will be able to
have a good idea of the nutrition in what you eat without using the chart. Of course everyone is different so you it will take a few weeks to work out you optimum calorie intake level for your goals. If you are gonna take boxing seriously I recommend you make the effort to do this.

And If anyone is interested PM me and I will send an example of my nutrition chart I did on Excel which works out the calories automatically, its not perfect but it should give you an idea.

I am not a nutritionist this is just what I have learnt and what works for me.

dfwtx
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
great post, thanks

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
great post, thanks

Thanks mate, its kind of funny that dozens of people here take the time to look at and answer my thread about songs you would come out to for a title fight, but important stuff like nutrition gets ignored!

mkm88414
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
dont forget about eating for your bodytype!

ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs have different optimal macronutrient profiles

trrmo do you post on sherdog? i feel like i have seen your avatar there

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 07:18 PM
dont forget about eating for your bodytype!

ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs have different optimal macronutrient profiles

trrmo do you post on sherdog? i feel like i have seen your avatar there

Im not on Sherdog mkm88414. Would be good if you could post more info about this thanks

Actus Reus 21
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
good thread man! good karma coming your way! these are the type of good threads I like instead of threads like"I smoked crack last night how much do I need to workout to work it off?"

mkm88414
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
sure thing

Check out these articles. This is the basic premise of it. Finding out what type you are is a bit tricky though because endomorphs don't necessarily have to be "fat", ectomorphs dont necessarily have to be "skinny" etc.

It has a lot to do with how you would naturally be if you weren't exercising or doing anything to improve your body.

For example, i am in single digit body fat and 155 pounds but i am an endomorph nonetheless and still have to eat like one.

Part I
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/showthread.php?t=11226

Part II
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/showthread.php?t=8458

Rafael Benitez
07-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Eat more fruit and veg to boost your energy and stamina!

Trrmo
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
People have been PMing me asking for a copy of my nutrition chart but not including an email address, I cant include an Excel attachment in PMs so you need to send an email address if you want it,
cheers

Jordee-G
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Good Articles lol.

mrboxer
09-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I have noticed people still posting about nutrition when alot of the time it comes down to some simple rules and basic mathematics.

I have posted this before but though I would start a thread with it.

First of all, read this! an excellent link to nutrition for Boxing

http://www.hyperstrike.com/Nutrition-for-Boxing-Article-148.aspx

Once you have a basic understanding of boxing nutrition needs you need to apply it to your own particular situation.

If you have got MS Excel on your computer do a list of all the foods you generally eat. Have a column for grams of protein carbs fat and total calories/kilojoules.

Look at the labels on the food you eat or go here to calculate: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrient.htm

Note what you eat and fill in your nutrition chart, you can get Excel to do the calculations automatically, so you can see your daily calorie intake.

Roughly work out your Base Metabolism Rate - there is a BMR calculator here http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

this will help you calculate the amount of calories you need to maintain weight for your weight/age/activity level. To lose weight start by dropping 2-300 calories from your BMR level and weigh yourself each morning.

Protein should be around .8 grams per pound you weigh, I weigh 77 kilograms and eat 2000 cals daily, normally 140 gms protein 260 gms carbs 50 gms fat. (this will depend on your goals whether you are trying to gain or lose weight, fat or muscle - I am trying to lose about 2 kilograms, to gain muscle I eat around 2300 + cals), the link to boxing nutrition above lists ideal amount of protein, carbs and fats in your diet.

Regardless of the protein/carb/fat ratio it is overall calories in versus calories out through exercise which will determine if you gain or lose weight.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse to calculate what you eat at first but after a while you will know instinctively. I have fine tuned it now so I know nearly exactly what I need to eat to gain maintain or lose weight. Dont make huge changes or try to lose more than 1 pound or so a week.

I personally dont worry about timing that much as long as overall calories goals are met for the day.

This works for me and cuts out the guesswork, pretty soon you will be able to
have a good idea of the nutrition in what you eat without using the chart. Of course everyone is different so you it will take a few weeks to work out you optimum calorie intake level for your goals. If you are gonna take boxing seriously I recommend you make the effort to do this.

And If anyone is interested PM me and I will send an example of my nutrition chart I did on Excel which works out the calories automatically, its not perfect but it should give you an idea.

I am not a nutritionist this is just what I have learnt and what works for me.

__________________i have read this and i have calculated it and i do not find anything here on how this helps with boxing,i do not need a label on a product to tell me about calories,i do not need that information,i want good tasty food i eat something and if i i l:boxing: ike it i eat more

IcedBlood
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
guesswork, pretty soon you will be able to

Key phrase Mrboxer

mrboxer
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
boxing should be taken seriously and i do not need that from the key phrase:boxing:

IcedBlood
09-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Well your not taking it seriously if your eating ****e. I don't understand peoples perceptions that your diet means ****. Your diets just as important as your training!

RightCross94
09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
No no no delete this thread. Makes too much sense.

How do I get a six pack again? How Do I lose weight ?? How do I lose bf %? Can I lose weight while eating junk??? I need to lose 2lbs in 12 months is that safe????

Trrmo
09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
i have read this and i have calculated it and i do not find anything here on how this helps with boxing,i do not need a label on a product to tell me about calories,i do not need that information,i want good tasty food i eat something and if i i l:boxing: ike it i eat more

it helps a competitive boxer that wants to fight at his ideal weight with low bodyfat levels but with high strength and energy levels. To do that you need to monitor what you eat. If you just eat what you like you will find you will put on to much fat, or not get sufficient nutrition to get the maximum benefit from hard trainining.

You monitor what you eat including total calories, proteins, fats and carbs, including your weight over a period of time until you arrive at your best levels for gaining weight/muscle, losing fat, maintaining weight whatever your goals are. After you do that for a few months you dont have to record your calories or read the label because you will already have a good idea.

Of course you dont have to do this to be a good boxer, but it helps and takes away the guesswork and cuts out alot of the bull**** surrounding what you should eat., how you should lose fat etc. The link I gave also gives some good general guidelines about nutrition for boxers even if you cant be arsed to count your calories for a period of time.