View Full Version : chi

danny stash
07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Has anyone ever felt it or used it in boxing?

KostyaTszyu44
07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
the **** u on about? this isnt kung fu its boxing

the_godslayer
07-14-2008, 05:49 AM

never in boxing but certainly in martial arts, its a very powerful tool, i have seen a martial arts master ring a bell from across a large room using his chi alone.

Rafael Benitez
07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
never in boxing but certainly in martial arts, its a very powerful tool, i have seen a martial arts master ring a bell from across a large room using his chi alone.

That is either black magic, an illusion, or bull****. Chi is bull****. I don't think even Manny Paqiaou gives a **** about it. This is boxing and it's the real deal, not some hocus pocus bollocks. Take your chi to the MMA bums forum.

markeeta
07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
danny... i've been looking up about this stuff lately and I tell you it is THE ****... I mean you can give it whatever name you want cause I'm sure lots of athletes, boxers or whatever get it but don't know what to call it.

I feel it on and off, but increasingly more week by week.

I get my chi from the speed ball... so much that I hang off it for 20min before training to get into the zone.

i could crap on but i'm sure i've left enough fuel in this post for someone to give me **** about being a hippy or whatever.

the_godslayer
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
That is either black magic, an illusion, or bull****. Chi is bull****. I don't think even Manny Paqiaou gives a **** about it. This is boxing and it's the real deal, not some hocus pocus bollocks. Take your chi to the MMA bums forum.

mate, all im doing is responding to another members question, and by the way Chi is NOT bull****, it may not be the most applicable to boxing but its real nonetheless.

laurinsane8
07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Yea, chi in martial arts is amazing. It's crazy. Never used it in boxing. But man, my school did a class on it with the brown and black belts and holy crap man. Was the most enlightening experience I've ever had.

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Chi is an ancient concept used in chinese philosophy usually used to describe a kind of energy or energy flow in the body. Of course over the years the definition and interpretation changed according to the writer or philosopher. The concept and pragmatic usefulness of the concept here is interesting and I do not have a problem with. actually I think chinese philosophy has many great concepts and I have the ´Tao te ching´ which is very deep and meaniningful.

If you are talking about the claims of SOME martial artists to be able harness chi and knock people out by not physically touching them, or using the deathtouch, it my opinion it is complete bull****.

a couple of examples

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JM_qg5d1YGI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JM_qg5d1YGI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEDaCIDvj6I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEDaCIDvj6I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nedcmk1
07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Snake Oil.

nedcmk1
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1nzD-n25Q

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
http://scienceblogs.com/neurotopia/2007/10/martial_idiocy.php

Trrmo
07-14-2008, 10:12 AM
read the discussion comment about chi on the bottom of the last link

!! Shawn
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
read the discussion comment about chi on the bottom of the last link

That stuff is priceless.

mkm88414
07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
i think a lot of ppl are thinking about that dim mak bull**** that the dude above me posted.

i was under the impression that chi was simply your body's energy from breathing? in which case.... boxers use it everday

danny stash
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
i think a lot of ppl are thinking about that dim mak bull**** that the dude above me posted.

i was under the impression that chi was simply your body's energy from breathing? in which case.... boxers use it everday
Yes I dont believe in Dim Mak but do believe in the power of chi, to the skeptics just pass on through. Thank you to all for your contributions.

danny stash
07-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks tuff boxer guy....

LOL

I am a boxer you fool, stop being a closed mind typical fool and open up to techniques that will make you rise about the rest.

Fidayin
07-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks tuff boxer guy....

LOL

I am a boxer you fool, stop being a closed mind typical fool and open up to techniques that will make you rise about the rest.

yeah that why all the great boxers in the past used chi :ugh:

you go and learn chi instead of using that time to improve ur regular boxing skills and then in 5 years we will see if you mad it big in boxing.

markeeta
07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
there are prob heaps of different things like this... mushin makes sense to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin

danny stash
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
yeah that why all the great boxers in the past used chi :ugh:

you go and learn chi instead of using that time to improve ur regular boxing skills and then in 5 years we will see if you mad it big in boxing.
I am NOT saying that I am gonna stop working on my jab for hours a day and throwing up a couple times a week post BOXING workouts but their is some truth to correct breathing and chi. Everyone can train to be a boxer, I am training to be a wrecking machine that functions on a higher level than close minded punks like you..

Fidayin
07-15-2008, 10:13 AM
I am NOT saying that I am gonna stop working on my jab for hours a day and throwing up a couple times a week post BOXING workouts but their is some truth to correct breathing and chi. Everyone can train to be a boxer, I am training to be a wrecking machine that functions on a higher level than close minded punks like you..

last time i heard, ur body was breaking down. Mayby u should go and buy more chi

JF91
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Load of bull**** if you ask me.. If the two video links posted are anything to go by.

potatoes
07-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Nearly 40 years ago I attended a Karate (or whatever) demonstration put on by some guy by the name of Park who was from Korea. The things this guy was doing were so incredible, it was hard to believe, yet he did it. I have no reason to believe that any of it was faked. So what is the secret? Chi?

You will have to meet thousands of boxers before a Floyd Mayweather comes along. How many guys do you have to meet until you see a man from Korea who can seemingly perform miracles? Anybody who claims they use Chi, is probably talking out their ass. I've seen somebody who really can.

danny stash
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Nearly 40 years ago I attended a Karate (or whatever) demonstration put on by some guy by the name of Park who was from Korea. The things this guy was doing were so incredible, it was hard to believe, yet he did it. I have no reason to believe that any of it was faked. So what is the secret? Chi?

You will have to meet thousands of boxers before a Floyd Mayweather comes along. How many guys do you have to meet until you see a man from Korea who can seemingly perform miracles? Anybody who claims they use Chi, is probably talking out their ass. I've seen somebody who really can.
I agree, I lived in bangkok for 3 years and saw some intrigueing stuff. I am not claiming to know anything about chi but I know that it focuses on breathing techniques which can seperate men from boys in the ring as you know Dave.

danny stash
07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
last time i heard, ur body was breaking down. Mayby u should go and buy more chi
Yes I suffered a setback in training breaking my wrist but thats what happens when you hit harder than the human body is meant to hit.

;)

Fidayin
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes I suffered a setback in training breaking my wrist but thats what happens when you hit harder than the human body is meant to hit.

;)

and what did ou do after breaking ur wrist? did you go to a doctor so that western medecin could help u or you went to a chi master to magically heal your wrist?

;)

danny stash
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
and what did ou do after breaking ur wrist? did you go to a doctor so that western medecin could help u or you went to a chi master to magically heal your wrist?

;)
No man you are totally missing my point. I am all for western medicine and traditional boxing training but incorporate breathing techniques passed down for thousands of years is not a stupid idea. I am not getting through to you and we are obviously misunderstanding one and other so best of luck in your training man.

Golden-Gloves
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
CHI is real, watch this video an see for yourself.. This guy has completely mastered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBS0NIJ4T8&feature=related

danny stash
07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
CHI is real, watch this video an see for yourself.. This guy has completely mastered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBS0NIJ4T8&feature=related
That was totally hilarious...

what a waste of time....way to really spend some time on that one.

Golden-Gloves
07-15-2008, 05:13 PM
That was totally hilarious...

what a waste of time....way to really spend some time on that one.

Grow some type of sense of humor, billy badass.

SugarShanep4p
07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
the **** u on about? this isnt kung fu its boxing

hahahahahahhaha

danny stash
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Grow some type of sense of humor, billy badass.
yeah I am a little over protective of this thread huh?

danny stash
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
hahahahahahhaha
yo strong isle what gives holmes, Suffolk County here; represent kid...

SugarShanep4p
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
yo strong isle what gives holmes, Suffolk County here; represent kid...

hellz yeah man, suffolk all the way

!! Shawn
07-16-2008, 01:51 AM

That made me giggle.

Rafael Benitez
07-16-2008, 04:48 AM
mate, all im doing is responding to another members question, and by the way Chi is NOT bull****, it may not be the most applicable to boxing but its real nonetheless.

It is not real. Study it properly. it is hocus pocus make believe bull**** and is tied in with the idolatry and superstitions of buddhism, a false relgion. Even Pacman and Injin Chi did not use that crap because it does not work! Tell me one world champion who used it?

danny stash
07-16-2008, 10:22 AM
It is not real. Study it properly. it is hocus pocus make believe bull**** and is tied in with the idolatry and superstitions of buddhism, a false relgion. Even Pacman and Injin Chi did not use that crap because it does not work! Tell me one world champion who used it?
Hey, do you believe in anything???

danny stash
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Also in response to me taking this elsehwhere I feel chi and breathing are a little more applicable to boxing than kicking a ball in a goal...

Soccer.com bud

If this is not a P owned than I dont know the meaning of the word

Stimpy
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
hellz yeah man, suffolk all the way

Can Nassau County get some love? :wave:

j
07-18-2008, 10:45 AM
i guess i am somewhat obligated to speak on this subject.

1 - ignorance. anyone here actually know or understand what "chi" is? not according to what i read here. responses here sound like nothing but misconceptions. anyone here even speak chinese or understand the basis of the philosophy from which the concept of chi came from?

2 - no chi, no life. that should help clear things up.

3 - no chi, nothing moves. that should clear things up a little more.

so, what is chi? there are something like 70 definitions for it. it is a somewhat abstract concept. chi is very real. magic tricks are two. but chi is not magic trick. too many people watching dragon ball z or listening to hippy taiji teachers.

for the sake of this discussion, i will try to limit what "chi" i am talking about. so, what would be a more accurate description is that chi is energy. that is why it is linked so closely with breath as breath is life and life is movement and you cannot have life or movement without energy. breath, again, can even be a metaphor for expansion and contraction/open and close/in and out/etc.... in other words - movement. the very essence of movement. and what is movement? life.

a lot of times, when you read about chi, you can simply replace the word chi with energy. energy is everywhere and everything. in one way, you could use chi to describe the quality - harmony or disharmony of a state of being as example. it is not limited to people or martial artists.

it would do you guys well to understand that the way of thinking that brought about the understanding of this concept is one of personal experience. typical western thinking is to disassociate yourself and use analytical thought to understand a situation or whatever. however, analytical thought itself is cold and dead without its opposite - experience and feeling/being. neither can exist by itself or on it's own. knowing and understanding are two different things - but both are linked together.

to understand and know chi and t be able to use it to describe the harmony of a situation or state, you have to know and understand the yin yang symbol. i see the yin yang aka taiji symbol in a lot of places; yoga studios, alternative medicine clinics, martial arts gyms. but, who actually understands what the symbol means? many people think yin is different than yang. it is not. they are simply two opposite ends of the same scale. understand? so this gives us a measurement that you can describe any state of being/existence/situation. it is very simple really.

anyways, everybody who breathes has life. life is movement. movement is energy. energy is chi.

in relation to fighting, you want to use chi efficiently so that you have a lot of it. again, simply replace the word chi with energy. and i am speaking on a very broad level. we could go into a specific kind of chi. example - you have chi that is available for you to use for activity such as boxing or basketball. that is different from the chi that keeps your heart beating. there is postnatal and prenatal chi as well - meaning the energy you are born with and then the energy you extract and store from food, air, etc....

anyways, it is not magic. you do not have to believe in it. it is not a religion. many people try to make money off of the concept because people are easily fooled by things they do not understand. this is what makes people think of it as mystical and ****. they not have understanding of it.

and in fighting, yi is the focus, not chi.

let me ask you, what is chi?

and a superstition of buddhism? lol? u sort of owned your own self on that one man.

Trrmo
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Okay out of the supposed 70 definitions that there for chi, you call chi energy. Okay, so Chi is energy.

So what?

what is the practical application of this to boxing?

I only posted those videos in response to the dubious claim of the guy saying some master could ring a bell on the other side of the room without touching it using chi.

If chi or any special breathing techniques have some practical benefit to boxing I am open minded to hear about it!

j
07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Okay out of the supposed 70 definitions that there for chi, you call chi energy. Okay, so Chi is energy.

So what?

what is the practical application of this to boxing?

I only posted those videos in response to the dubious claim of the guy saying some master could ring a bell on the other side of the room without touching it using chi.

If chi or any special breathing techniques have some practical benefit to boxing I am open minded to hear about it!

there are a lot of people using trickery to try and make money off of stupid people.

obviously, managing your energy has a practical benefit on everything you do.

you speak of breathing exercises. those are only one form of chi kung. those, depending on what kind you are doing, helps put your body and mind into more of a balanced state. some are used for specific purpose like to help cure an ailment or to make yourself stronger.

j
07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
you really had to ask about how energy affects performance?

Trrmo
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
you really had to ask about how energy affects performance?

No, I want to know how you can USE chi to improve boxing performance. Give some examples, exercises boxers can do etc.

j
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
chi is not a special kind of energy or something mystical like that.

boxers strive to develope certain qualities - like punching hard or moving skillfully, etc...

a straight right for example, has straight energy. how you develope it is up to you.

danny stash
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
i guess i am somewhat obligated to speak on this subject.

1 - ignorance. anyone here actually know or understand what "chi" is? not according to what i read here. responses here sound like nothing but misconceptions. anyone here even speak chinese or understand the basis of the philosophy from which the concept of chi came from?

2 - no chi, no life. that should help clear things up.

3 - no chi, nothing moves. that should clear things up a little more.

so, what is chi? there are something like 70 definitions for it. it is a somewhat abstract concept. chi is very real. magic tricks are two. but chi is not magic trick. too many people watching dragon ball z or listening to hippy taiji teachers.

for the sake of this discussion, i will try to limit what "chi" i am talking about. so, what would be a more accurate description is that chi is energy. that is why it is linked so closely with breath as breath is life and life is movement and you cannot have life or movement without energy. breath, again, can even be a metaphor for expansion and contraction/open and close/in and out/etc.... in other words - movement. the very essence of movement. and what is movement? life.

a lot of times, when you read about chi, you can simply replace the word chi with energy. energy is everywhere and everything. in one way, you could use chi to describe the quality - harmony or disharmony of a state of being as example. it is not limited to people or martial artists.

it would do you guys well to understand that the way of thinking that brought about the understanding of this concept is one of personal experience. typical western thinking is to disassociate yourself and use analytical thought to understand a situation or whatever. however, analytical thought itself is cold and dead without its opposite - experience and feeling/being. neither can exist by itself or on it's own. knowing and understanding are two different things - but both are linked together.

to understand and know chi and t be able to use it to describe the harmony of a situation or state, you have to know and understand the yin yang symbol. i see the yin yang aka taiji symbol in a lot of places; yoga studios, alternative medicine clinics, martial arts gyms. but, who actually understands what the symbol means? many people think yin is different than yang. it is not. they are simply two opposite ends of the same scale. understand? so this gives us a measurement that you can describe any state of being/existence/situation. it is very simple really.

anyways, everybody who breathes has life. life is movement. movement is energy. energy is chi.

in relation to fighting, you want to use chi efficiently so that you have a lot of it. again, simply replace the word chi with energy. and i am speaking on a very broad level. we could go into a specific kind of chi. example - you have chi that is available for you to use for activity such as boxing or basketball. that is different from the chi that keeps your heart beating. there is postnatal and prenatal chi as well - meaning the energy you are born with and then the energy you extract and store from food, air, etc....

anyways, it is not magic. you do not have to believe in it. it is not a religion. many people try to make money off of the concept because people are easily fooled by things they do not understand. this is what makes people think of it as mystical and ****. they not have understanding of it.

and in fighting, yi is the focus, not chi.

let me ask you, what is chi?

and a superstition of buddhism? lol? u sort of owned your own self on that one man.
thank you so much for this awesome post. I did not even dignify a response to some of the morons on here. Glad we have some intelligent free thinkers such as yourself here...

j
07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
your welcome man.

i didn't like these misconceptions that these half-assed hippie kung fu teachers throw out there to lure in curious people. and, as this thread has shown, many people tend to think that is what real traditionally trained fighters do.

there is a pretend dragon ball z world - especially with young teenagers these days. and these little ****s hurt the traditional arts community just as much as "teachers" who don't believe in sparring.

and then there is the real ****. the real martial arts skills that seem almost supernatural sometimes. this type of **** comes from years and years of perfecting the manipulation of the way people act and react.

the real **** is a bit hard to find. maybe 1 in 200 or 300 teachers have at least one remarkable skill that would leave you speechless. but, all most people know is the silly ****ing sales pitches and empty skills of many martial arts "teachers" who would get ass raped by a teenage streetfighter.

don't misunderstand, there are many great fighters out there, but there are not many at a really really truly high level. when you meet one, you know instantly. especially when they throw your ass around effortlessly like you are a toy. a lot of these guys are underground though. so, finding them is hard because they usually don't give a **** about owning a mcdonalds-like chain of schools. of the few extremely high skilled fighters i have met, i have found that they are the most humble and casual people. you would never know that they were champion fighters except they always seem to give off a certain palpable vibe. a vibe that feels like they have complete control over themselves. crazy **** i know.

Pork Chop
07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I do a tai chi (taiji) warm up (24 step) before I start muay thai class.
Sometimes the guys laugh at me; but I know it helps.
It warms my body up, gets the blood flowing, and it stretches me out/gets me loose without causing any injuries.
It also helps me regulate my breathing.
I use "dan tien breathing" in muay thai & boxing and I find it really does wonders for my relaxation & endurance.

I always equated that warm feeling you get when the blood's flowing out to all your extremities and your breathing's nice & regulated as being the feeling of "chi".
If a muscle's overly tense, you don't get that warm feeling - so feeling it means you've got a nice level of relaxation.
Relaxed punches simply hit harder - they transfer more energy.
Aside from that, I never thought much about the "magical" type aspects of chi, coz they always came off as parlor tricks.

j
07-19-2008, 02:57 AM
I do a tai chi (taiji) warm up (24 step) before I start muay thai class.
Sometimes the guys laugh at me; but I know it helps.
It warms my body up, gets the blood flowing, and it stretches me out/gets me loose without causing any injuries.
It also helps me regulate my breathing.
I use "dan tien breathing" in muay thai & boxing and I find it really does wonders for my relaxation & endurance.

I always equated that warm feeling you get when the blood's flowing out to all your extremities and your breathing's nice & regulated as being the feeling of "chi".
If a muscle's overly tense, you don't get that warm feeling - so feeling it means you've got a nice level of relaxation.
Relaxed punches simply hit harder - they transfer more energy.
Aside from that, I never thought much about the "magical" type aspects of chi, coz they always came off as parlor tricks.

people laugh at a taiji warmup? why? start beating people's ass with those warm ups. you know a warm up is really just a secret way of power training, right?

yes! you are right about relaxed punches.

yeah, that warm feeling is a good thing. it feels like a wave right? it washes over the body? if you can do that without even using movement, it is good.

wow, you know dan tien?

Pork Chop
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Yah, I know the wave feeling that radiates out.

As for dan tien, I thought I told you, I'm a kung fu guy from way back (1994).
I switched to sport stuff coz continuous sparring wasn't doing it for me as a format to take my stuff out for test drives. I also had some teachers that either didn't give apps, or mainly taught apps i couldn't jive with. Sanshou and Muay Thai are more inline with the way I think and fight anyway.

As far as the laughing; usually it's just joking by my muay thai coach. He keeps telling me to continue doing it - saying the mixture is good, but I'm not sure if it's getting on his nerves that I'm doing outside stuff. I use the taichi stuff in the clinch a lot- I get told I'm powerful/strong, but it's really just sensitivity to know how to yank someone off balance the right way.

Stormin' Norman
07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd like to learn more about meditation. I'd like to get good enough at it to do it between rounds. That would be nice. After rd 1, you'd see me sat down and eyes closed, smiling....

Stormin' Norman
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM

I switched to sport stuff coz continuous sparring wasn't doing it for me as a format to take my stuff out for test drives. I also had some teachers that either didn't give apps, or mainly taught apps i couldn't jive with. Sanshou and Muay Thai are more inline with the way I think and fight anyway.

As far as the laughing; usually it's just joking by my muay thai coach. He keeps telling me to continue doing it - saying the mixture is good, but I'm not sure if it's getting on his nerves that I'm doing outside stuff. I use the taichi stuff in the clinch a lot- I get told I'm powerful/strong, but it's really just sensitivity to know how to yank someone off balance the right way.

i dont blame you.

it aint for everybody. getting hit is part of what happens when you spar, though...it's what makes boxing what it is, unfortunately the only outcome of a good spar is some brain damage, and then secondly, boxing experience...but that's just the dark nature of the business...the truth can be a ***** sometimes, but that's just the way it is...Nothing is ****in' hunky-dory, my friend...You can have a massive **** and go down on a virgin and take her virginity and think you trust her 100%, and she'll assure you that you have her trust and there's no reason for her to **** around on you, and you can assure her that there's no reason for you to **** around on her.....But when you're both ****ing, one of you sometimes probably fantasizes about ****ing someone else. Truth is a *****.

my problem is that i dont mind getting hit, and honestly honest to god have never been hurt, i think pain is wrong in my brain or something. When I was like nine years old I slipped on a high diving board and fell all the way down to the cement on my ass, and then my head immediately popped up and I hit my nose on the cement. I was never unconscious but I think that one hit I took hardened my pain threshold, or something.....because ever since that happened, its like no big deal when I get hurt...If I were to get shot, I bet I'd just be like, '****, im shot...goddamnit give me that towel' lol... When guys hit me in the face, I feel just a slight jolt, no discombobulation...and I'm talking flush uppercuts, etc. Again, I've never sparred a full fledged professional HW known for his power though, either. But I've sparred many an amateur power puncher, however I am careful when I mix it up with those cats because I utilize my taller boxing style when they enter the ring. I'm 6'4 1/2...if a guy who can unload on me with hooks only gets in the ring with me and he's 5 '11", i dont give a **** who says wht outside the ring, im moving to my right (if hes ortho) and jabbing him to all hell and when he gets close i can duck and evade like you wouldnt believe, if that doesnt work I use the BLOB TACTIK SEKRET BLOB TAKTIK AKA RUIZIFY that mother****er with my uber clinch skills. seriously, I have pretty decent up close defensive boxing ability for a 265lb man. I know where to put my hands when I'm moving my head, either to deliver a punch, or to evade an onslaught completely (something I never do.)

I got stung by a ****ing wasp the other day and completely ignored it, if I had been sipping a cup of coffee while it happened i wouldnt have missed a beat, i felt the sting and i knew it had stung me,but just ignored it...i simply didnt give a **** because it didnt hurt me enough to care, i have this weird high pain threshold, it's not superhuman or anything, believe me I feel pain, but...its just, i feel it less than others. J knows what im talking about but thats just cuz that mother****er has a pocket full of Lori 10's. Hahaha ;)

j
07-22-2008, 02:24 PM

yeah, i remember some things. but, i never really know what other people learn or are taught. it is different for everybody. each system teaches different methods of achieving the same goals. and sometimes, it varies even whithin a closed system.

j.razor
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM

yes sir, in football, boxing & track...

Pork Chop
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
yeah, i remember some things. but, i never really know what other people learn or are taught. it is different for everybody. each system teaches different methods of achieving the same goals. and sometimes, it varies even whithin a closed system.

Oh i definitely hear that.
I've run into a few traditional folks that can bang, but a lot more talk about how well they bang than actually do it, you know?
Quality control in tcma is not quite there.

j
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh i definitely hear that.
I've run into a few traditional folks that can bang, but a lot more talk about how well they bang than actually do it, you know?
Quality control in tcma is not quite there.

u r right. quality control is something that seems a bit lost these days in most CMAs. i am happy i come from a lineage that knows no other way than to spar as an ectension of application. i have met and known, teachers of various arts even, that do not do the free style kind of sparring we do. if you find a school or club devoted to xing yi, chances are it has sparring included.

i have met more than a few traditional guys that would be more than happy to beat down somebody who challenges. and can do it. i think i am blessed to be trained in a lineage of teachers where fighting is a huge focus.

if you PM with the city you live in, maybe i can see if you have any good teachers out there you are missing out on so that you can check 'em out when you have free time.

2 major things that **** it up for us who have background in TCMA training - movies and people trying to teach without a clue on how to fight. those without a clue on actual fighting have likely never fought, sparred, and are likely to be ex-hippies who are more interested in magic tricks and an alternative lifestyle. i say, good for them, just do not claim to tech "martial" arts as it is closer to dancing.

and movies do not help either other than gaining an initial interest in chinese arts of fighting. some people need to face the facts that while you can, if dedicated enough, do **** most people can't, but you are never going to fly crouching tiger hidden dragon style. or shoot dragon ball z balls of energy at people either.

and martial arts do not make you invinceable. you are like everyone else who trains a fighting art. everything depends on the work you put into it - because that is what you will get out of it.

i am fortunate to have met many people who are pretty damn good fighters from training CMAs. i guess it depends on who you know. i think many people have tainted opinions based on something they read or saw on internet, or some dumbass person they knew once who made claims he couldn't back.

it is a shame so many people think like that. do i really have to point out that kostya tszyu is a martial artist? or that marvin hagler watched kung fu movies before every fight for inspiration? or that cung le has a background in vietnamese kung fu? or that there are full contact CMA tournaments so people actually test their skills in a complete full contact environment?

BennyST
07-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Qi is an all encompassing term for ... life's energy, vitality etc. It is not in the body alone, but, everywhere and in everything. It is highly misunderstood and as seen in this thread, most people are either ignorant of it or think of it as some kind of 'power', hippy bull**** or magic voodoo stuff.

It is a pretty simple concept to grasp if you know how to think past what you immediately see and think you know. One way to describe it would be that it is the electricity that fires your body and can certainly be used to increase the efficiency of everything your body can do with proper training.

What most people don't understand is that people or athletes who are truly great at what they do have already harnessed their Qi and use it in their life/sport without realising it. If someone uses natural body movement and is completely relaxed their Qi will be moving smoothly through their body and helping keep everything running efficiently. People who are tense are not using their Qi and are in fact keeping it stagnant and interrupting the flow of it.

The more you can harness it the better, though that does not necessarily mean you need to go and do Qi Gong or anything like that. Learning to keep your body moving in it's most natural way and the deep relaxation that comes with knowing your basics and doing them so much will inevitably lead to your Qi moving smoother throughout your body and helping it to function better. As a cross training exercise it would be very helpful and is makes you healthier and allows you to better understand how your body works and what it needs or doesn't need. It can also help muscle regeneration and keep injuries from occurring.

Obviously most people here will think it stupid and ridiculous. If any of you have had massage or acupuncture, all that is doing is to help the Qi move freely throughout your body. The freer it is, the freer your body will be or move.

No doubt this post will be taken out of context, but, it must also be understood that all that Qi as something that can be used to move stuff or if you poke someone in a particular Qi spot it will kill or maim them is utter BS. Most people will dismiss it on the spot but it can be readily felt with some small training or by someone who is good at massage/acupuncture etc.

It can certainly help in boxing but not in any unusual way or even by giving you 'special Qi power' or something. It will not make you better without all the usual training etc but it can help you body to function much better and keep you healthier thereby making you a better athlete and how your body works and moves and what it needs etc. It could never replace any training but could simply help you to better how to train and also help you to compliment your training.

BennyST
07-24-2008, 07:08 AM

What exactly do you mean by 'a false religion' Mr Benitez? What do you consider as a true religion? How is it any less false than any other religion? What does Pacman and Injin Chi have to do with anything?

You are a classic example of someone who has absolutely no idea whatsoever what is even being discussed here and are focusing entirely on what you want to focus on without taking the whole picture into account.

Anyway, I would love to hear why you think Buddhism is a 'false religion'. This should be great. Are you religious? Tell us all why your religion is not false if you are. Enlighten us all to the one true religion oh great messiah.

Trrmo
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Learning to keep your body moving in it's most natural way and the deep relaxation that comes with knowing your basics and doing them so much will inevitably lead to your Qi moving smoother throughout your body and helping it to function better.

I think you can be relaxed, in tune with your body, feeling like you are firing on all cylinders, and that your body parts and breathing are working in harmony etc

But does this mean that there is a mysterious energy or electric like substance called chi running through your body that objectively exists? for me no.

Though for practical purposes if someone feels like everything is working in harmony and they want to describe it as having to do with flows of Chi thats fine by me.

BennyST
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you can be relaxed, in tune with your body, feeling like you are firing on all cylinders, and that your body parts and breathing are working in harmony etc

But does this mean that there is a mysterious energy or electric like substance called chi running through your body that objectively exists? for me no.

Though for practical purposes if someone feels like everything is working in harmony and they want to describe it as having to do with flows of Chi thats fine by me.

Great. Whatever works for you mate. As I said, completely misunderstood but hey...

:fing02:

Edit: Would it make it feel less 'mysterious' if I told you that Qi has been measured and quantified by 'western scientists'? :lol1:

Trrmo
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Great. Whatever works for you mate. As I said, completely misunderstood but hey...

:fing02:

Edit: Would it make it feel less 'mysterious' if I told you that Qi has been measured and quantified by 'western scientists'? :lol1:

would be good to see your sources on that, thanks

BennyST
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
would be good to see your sources on that, thanks

Considering I've done a five year double degree on the stuff, how about you go try and do five minutes of research on it. If you don't care to, well done, and all the more luck to you.

:)

Trrmo
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Considering I've done a five year double degree on the stuff, how about you go try and do five minutes of research on it. If you don't care to, well done, and all the more luck to you.

Alright I will do some research, what was your degree?

Trrmo
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Edit: Would it make it feel less 'mysterious' if I told you that QQi has been measured and quantified by 'western scientists'? :lol1:

Alright I spent a good hour searching and reading about Chi/Qi on the net and I could not find anywhere that shows any evidence of Qi being ¨measured and quantified by 'western scientists'¨.

So can you state your sources please.

eman-resu
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM

You have a degree in magic?

BennyST
07-27-2008, 04:43 AM
You have a degree in magic?

Yes. I use Voodoo to help fix injured people. Magic works great as a sports physio.

I find that cutting the toenails of a person off along with some skin scrapings and their pubic hair, then burning them in garlic and dirt with some twigs and **** from outside and a little birds leg works best when applied on their injured lower back. Fixes them in thirty seven point three seconds. Then I slap their faces with a big, cold fish for good measure and they give me a hundred bucks for it. :fing02:

Trrmo
07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
You have the sources or did you just make it up?

Trrmo
07-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh sorry, I got your private message, thanks. (Seems chi actually hasnt been measured by western scientists to put the record straight)

branagan
07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
haha, that 1st vid was fantastic... if you move your toes i cant knock you out, lol

yrrej
07-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Chi/ki is real, but varies according to the individual. In any case, punching someone in the jaw is a much better way to beat them. Don't plan on chi helping in the ring.....

BennyST
07-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Oh sorry, I got your private message, thanks. (Seems chi actually hasnt been measured by western scientists to put the record straight)

No problem mate.:) In answer: Well, yes and no. They're vague on what it is exactly (which is as much a problem of qualifying what Qi is exactly or how best to measure it and with what. A vast and very difficult question) as they are bringing up measurements of bio-electricity which don't accord to anything previously done and they cannot explain what it is exactly. They do run very similar to the channels mapped out in CM, so, while it doesn't specify or even clarify what it is, there is something there that they have measured which could be translated into the CM channels. Like anything 'new' it will take a long time for a large body of study and evidence on these things for it to be brought to the next level of experimentation, but, when they're bringing up this, especially as it relates very closely but they cannot state with pure certainty, there is obviously something there.

Hard to say. I'm sure in another fifty or hundred years we will all be talking about this like it had always existed and like it is just another part of the human body such as blood, cells, nuclei, DNA etc etc.

Until then, you could blindly refuse to accept anything that you can't see (I wonder how many Christians or religious people don't believe in Qi? Their answer as to why they don't would be humorous and rather typical) or you could objectively keep an open mind towards it and even check out some related things as you can feel it quite obviously through certain means ie. acu, Qi Gong etc etc.

Trrmo
07-30-2008, 05:14 AM
They're vague on what it is exactly (which is as much a problem of qualifying what Qi is exactly or how best to measure it and with what. A vast and very difficult question) as they are bringing up measurements of bio-electricity which don't accord to anything previously done and they cannot explain what it is exactly. They do run very similar to the channels mapped out in CM, so, while it doesn't specify or even clarify what it is, there is something there that they have measured which could be translated into the CM channels.

Fair enough, though searching about about it, in this case the ´´they´´ who are doing the studies do not seem to be western scientists? and I dont know about the validity and recognition of this research by the wider scientific community?

Until then, you could blindly refuse to accept anything that you can't see (I wonder how many Christians or religious people don't believe in Qi? Their answer as to why they don't would be humorous and rather typical) or you could objectively keep an open mind towards it and even check out some related things as you can feel it quite obviously through certain means ie. acu, Qi Gong etc etc.

I will keep an open mind but the problem is not so much people blindy refusing to accept anything that they cant see, it is too many people blindly accepting and believing in things passed down through time without questioning.
This is true in ALL religions
Cheers.

potatoes
08-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Did any of you read Joe Louis's autobiography? In there he says that one of his opponents, don't recall who, was using some wild and weird meditation technique. Didn't stop Louis from knocking him out. People talk a lot about this mystical stuff from the orient, but so far I haven't seen it translate into better performance in the ring and certainly not in the cage!

BETTY SWOLLOCKS
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I do karate, but this is true also :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qFV1iFVJUoA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qFV1iFVJUoA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The moral being that a lot of peope at my dojo down the years became too obsessed with esoteric stuff, energy and different stances etc and forgot the part where ya gotta actually fight!!!

j
08-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Did any of you read Joe Louis's autobiography? In there he says that one of his opponents, don't recall who, was using some wild and weird meditation technique. Didn't stop Louis from knocking him out. People talk a lot about this mystical stuff from the orient, but so far I haven't seen it translate into better performance in the ring and certainly not in the cage!

you have never seen a kostya tszyu fight?

potatoes
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
you have never seen a kostya tszyu fight?

I saw him get beat up by Ricky Hatton.

RMAcero
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Chi is awesome, dog. I used it once at a public bathroom to flush my piss down the urinal. Look, no hands!