View Full Version : New to the sport looking for pointers.

Roadwaffle
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Ok so my buddy has been boxing for about 4 or 5 years and was talking trash about how he is god in the ring and I couldn't hit him if my life depended on it (eventhough I've never even hit a heavy bag in my life). Well I got tired of him and we went to the gym to settle it in the ring. HE WAS fast. He hit me about 30 times to my pathetic 3...but my 3 counted. First and third punches floored him thats when the gym manager called the fight. In his defense though I am 7 inches taller and out weigh him by 130 lbs. I did notice that just those 2 minutes in the ring got me sweatin. How viable is boxing for fitness? I cant afford gym memberships so is boxing something I could do at home? What about jump rope? I really need to get in shape and boxing seems fun...beatin the hell outta stuff and what not. My stats are 26 years old 6'3'' 297lbs (down from 417). Anything anybody recommends would be most appreciated.

KostyaTszyu44
07-12-2008, 08:47 PM
just join a gym, its worth it. boxing is incredible for fitness. yes you can do it at home but you wont be able to compete and that. get a jump rope, some gloves, wraps and a heavybag if possible. start going for jogs and such. but really, join a gym if you can, i dunno if they have pcyc's in your country, but they have cheap boxing classes because they are usually in poor areas (i train at one)

Roadwaffle
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't intend on competeing, I want to join a gym but live paycheck -$20 to paycheck. I've been looking around and so far the cheapest box gym here is $35 a month. A buddy gave me his old heavy bag and speed bag set up although imma see if I can find a newer heavy bag this ones lumpy and SOLID. Can't afford gloves or wraps right now im saving up for them though...maybe theyll help keep my wrists and knuckles from hurting. Also I found an old extension cord which seems to work just fine for jump rope.