View Full Version : Reasons for starting boxing

sukhenkoy
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
When and why did you all start boxing?

I had to permanently stop playing football a year ago, so I took up fitness training and conditioning to get into good shape. Then I took up boxing because I always admired it, and wanted to reach another level of self-discipline and pushing my limits. I start this past January, at the age of 17.

d_lyrik803
07-10-2008, 09:44 PM
i watched a lot of MMA since high school and well i pretty much did a few arts, such as Judo, Mua Thai, and Jits, but never tried boxing. when i tried boxing out, i think it was the ultimate sport, it made me more tired than anything else i did combat wise, and probably athletically wise also. i met a friend that was amateur, he taught me a few things then i didn't see him for a while then i saw a gym which had a sign that said Palm Beach Boxing, checked it out, and was sold on it.

now that i admire boxing so much, when i watch MMA fights (still a fan), i ***** at their boxing skills, if any at all.

sukhenkoy
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
i watched a lot of MMA since high school and well i pretty much did a few arts, such as Judo, Mua Thai, and Jits, but never tried boxing. when i tried boxing out, i think it was the ultimate sport, it made me more tired than anything else i did combat wise, and probably athletically wise also. i met a friend that was amateur, he taught me a few things then i didn't see him for a while then i saw a gym which had a sign that said Palm Beach Boxing, checked it out, and was sold on it.

now that i admire boxing so much, when i watch MMA fights (still a fan), i ***** at their boxing skills, if any at all.

As a matter of fact, I also watched a lot of UFC on the tele before starting boxing. Boxing seemed more of a man's sport though; UFC basically comes down to grown men humping one another on the ground, much like wrestling.

DMC
07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I started at the beginning of last year at the age of 31.
I did it because I wanted to loose weight and get fit, and I thought Boxers were the fittest out there so I would train like them.
by the end of last year I had lost 20kg (44lb).

I had no intentions of boxing.
But now I spar more rounds than most in the gym, me and another guy get used as the work horses in the gym.

I still have a couple of years left to make the Amateurs so I might give it a go.

DMC:boxing:

JoHnNyBoXeR
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM

I had to permanently stop playing football a year ago, so I took up fitness training and conditioning to get into good shape. Then I took up boxing because I always admired it, and wanted to reach another level of self-discipline and pushing my limits. I start this past January, at the age of 17.

when i was younger like 9, 10, 11, 12 years old I was an athelte.. I won basketball tournaments, kid marathons and iron man competitions and swimming and running at this summer camp i used to go to.. i was the man.. and everyone would chant my last name and that was the greatest feelin i ever had in my life.. then as a teenager i got in with the wrong crowd got in some toruble did some bad thins and never got around to boxing when i wanted to do it at 17.. now at 21 i satrted 2 months ago and i did 3 weeks of sparring.. i want that glory back.. winning

also in my avatar thats my great grandfather he came to america from Ireland in 1905 or somthin like that and was a pro boxer and a pretty big name in NY back in his day.. i found that pic on the internet of him..

fraidycat
07-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I was scared of getting hit.

Danny Gunz
07-11-2008, 02:22 AM
In my area growing up if you did sports it was either football, basketball, baseball, or hockey and I played those but i was about average. And the kids who were the superstars at those sports locally were the popular people. So i basically said to myself '**** that iam tougher then those kids' that and i already had a desire to box all my life.

cibola4
07-11-2008, 04:57 AM
i had always wanted to box....
but my mom had told me against it
because she worked with a manager whose whole family boxed
and one night the whole family except the dad got murdered in there house...
so to keep my mom happy i have kept away
but now...
im old enough to make my own decisions...
and im sorry mom...
but this is something i just feel like i have to do!!!!
I Cant Wait To Get In That Ring!!!

-see ya at the 2012 olympics!!
haha...
hopefully!!

rmz
07-11-2008, 05:15 AM
It's exciting and it tests all your abilities - physical, mental, and emotional. I like the technical skill involved in boxing as well as the conditioning aspects.

Paardekopski
07-11-2008, 05:57 AM
also in my avatar thats my great grandfather he came to america from Ireland in 1905 or somthin like that and was a pro boxer and a pretty big name in NY back in his day.. i found that pic on the internet of him..

That's so cool! Somehow I always think 'back in the day' boxers were even tougher...

I picked up boxing, cause it's great fun, difficult to master, and a great workout.

Equilibrium
07-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Well, i started doing traditional martial arts very young(5 years old) and i loved combat sports, was watching boxing on tv before i can remember. I did martial arts on and off until about 11-12, was always getting into fights at school, when i started high school it was the same, even worse to be honest i was always getting suspended and at a certain point they were keeping me 10 minutes longer than the other kids after school, just to make sure i wouldn't get into a fight.

At around 14 i thought i was a real bad ass, and since i always loved boxing i decided to go to a gym and see. I was in for a shock i really didn't know much about fighting after all.

Been boxing ever since.

T-97
07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I was bullied mercilessly by squirrels and needed to defend myself...

Nah I just wanted to get fit an stuff and I figure boxing would be fun.

07-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I started as a kid at first, then after a grew up i looked for a gym to start all over again and i just did. I always liked it but it wasn't until now that I took it seriously...

the_godslayer
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
i only ever did it for the training, strangely even though i was a footballer i LOVED the boxing training, the discipline of it and the effort it took, i never had any plans to make boxing a career even after my football career was cut short.

kenny91
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM
sounds like a young boxers cliche

but i started boxing to keep me occupied, to keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

As well as:
my love for the sport, the self discipline it gives you and the sense of achievin somethin when u reach a certain goal; whether its something as little as makin a specific weight or perhaps something bigger like makin it into tournaments.

and that is what i think boxing is all about, not trashtalkin n aimin to seriously hurt ur opponent just for kicks theres a lot more to it.

DutchDynamite
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Boxing was just a natural follow up from the Judo i did since i was 7, i always wanted to box but my parents didn't let me so when i reached 16 they allowed me.

sukhenkoy
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Boxing was just a natural follow up from the Judo i did since i was 7, i always wanted to box but my parents didn't let me so when i reached 16 they allowed me.

Dutchie, where you been? Haven't seen you on here in a while.

DutchDynamite
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Dutchie, where you been? Haven't seen you on here in a while.

Hi there, yeah i have been busy with work and wasn't able to box for 6 weeks and didn't feel like checking the site as well. Now back full on training and commenting here.

cheers man

sukhenkoy
07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Hi there, yeah i have been busy with work and wasn't able to box for 6 weeks and didn't feel like checking the site as well. Now back full on training and commenting here.

cheers man

Damn it must have been difficult staying away from something you enjoy doing for so long. It's also probably hard to get back into the training exercises after such a long layoff, right?

laurinsane8
07-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Saw Girlfight with Michelle Rodriguez and wanted to try it. Plus I wanted to know if I could knock someone out. The answer? Yes. Yes I can. But man did it kill my hand.

Paardekopski
07-12-2008, 06:38 AM
heheh, on a sidenote, when I was 9 years old, I had a fight on the schoolyard once, and I tried to punch the other guy in the face, but completely missed. He may have had the sensation of a gust of wind next to his ear. I think I made a facial expression to the likes of "next time I won't pretend" haha.
However completely unrelated to my reasons to pick up boxing, which is still for workout and fun...

sterling
07-12-2008, 08:06 AM
i watched muhmmad ali on youtube then i went gym with my mate and found out they had a boxing gym then i hit the bag then the rest is history lol i started when i was 18 close to my 19th birthday i been boxing a year and a few months now im 20.

Trrmo
07-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I remember watching Ali fight Larry Holmes on TV in 1980 when I was 8 years old, waiting for Ali to come back in the fight but never did - heartbreaking.

My dad bought me a punching bag to get rid of my aggression because of my bad temper (my sisters and I were constantly screaming at each other!), taught me a few moves.

At 12 I told my dad I wanted to box so he made me do the research until I found a gym. First day at the gym I was put in to body spar with the state junior champ who winded me with a good shot to my guts. Trainer wanted to test me I think, he said at the time and looking back makes me laugh that I šum well you have good footworkš. I kept coming back after that though.

Fidayin
07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I remember watching Ali fight Larry Holmes on TV in 1980 when I was 8 years old, waiting for Ali to come back in the fight but never did - heartbreaking.

My dad bought me a punching bag to get rid of my aggression because of my bad temper (my sisters and I were constantly screaming at each other!), taught me a few moves.

At 12 I told my dad I wanted to box so he made me do the research until I found a gym. First day at the gym I was put in to body spar with the state junior champ who winded me with a good shot to my guts. Trainer wanted to test me I think, he said at the time and looking back makes me laugh that I šum well you have good footworkš. I kept coming back after that though.

did you have a good amateur carreer and why did you take a break from boxing?

Trrmo
07-12-2008, 09:40 AM
did you have a good amateur carreer and why did you take a break from boxing?

I fought from 12 until I was 17 and had 16 fights and a few exhibitions. Could have had alot more but I had trouble getting match-ups even though I used to weigh in at every tournament. I won 4 state junior titles in Australia, at 17 I had I very bad back strain, partly due to a spinal defect and partly due to not stretching enough and not allowing enough time to recover. Also starting drinking and partying.

I trained on and off until I was 21 and trained seriously hard under the national coach and had a fight lined up but a week before I got a cold (due to overtraining). But stupidly I kept training, and came down with the worse cold and case of bronchitis that I couldnt get rid of for months. That really got me down and I never got back into training seriously until 28 yrs old when I had two fights at middleweight which I won.

A long term relationship breakup and I started drinking, partying again and stopped boxing although I had the opportunity to box overseas. I trained on and off until getting back in it a few months ago because my lifestyle, drinking, smoking and worse was leading me on a downward spiral.

Now I dont drink or smoke at all. I feel stronger and fitter than ever and love training here in Ecuador. I am undecided yet but I would like to have a few last fights which will have to be pro.

So some lessons -
If you have an injury give it time to recover.
Dont drink or smoke or do drugs
Do alot of stretching especially the back of your legs for back problems
Remember to put vaseline on your face before your fight (my last fight which I won my face looked like I had been seriously assaulted)
Dont let injuries set you back
Dont overtrain thats when you get sick or injured
Dont waste great opportunities and leave it too late to comeback
but
Its never to late to train!

Fidayin
07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I fought from 12 until I was 17 and had 16 fights and a few exhibitions. Could have had alot more but I had trouble getting match-ups even though I used to weigh in at every tournament. I won 4 state junior titles in Australia, at 17 I had I very bad back strain, partly due to a spinal defect and partly due to not stretching enough and not allowing enough time to recover. Also starting drinking and partying.

I trained on and off until I was 21 and trained seriously hard under the national coach and had a fight lined up but a week before I got a cold (due to overtraining). But stupidly I kept training, and came down with the worse cold and case of bronchitis that I couldnt get rid of for months. That really got me down and I never got back into training seriously until 28 yrs old when I had two fights at middleweight which I won.

A long term relationship breakup and I started drinking, partying again and stopped boxing although I had the opportunity to box overseas. I trained on and off until getting back in it a few months ago because my lifestyle, drinking, smoking and worse was leading me on a downward spiral.

Now I dont drink or smoke at all. I feel stronger and fitter than ever and love training here in Ecuador. I am undecided yet but I would like to have a few last fights which will have to be pro.

So some lessons -
Remember to put vaseline on your face before your fight (my last fight which I won my face looked like I had been seriously assaulted)
but

cool thanks for the story and advice.

sukhenkoy
07-12-2008, 08:25 PM

So some lessons -
but

Good story, trrmo. Shame about the booze and partying though...sounds like you could have gone pretty far if you stayed away from that ****. But, I guess now that you have experienced it, you know it doesn't do any good, and that probably makes you train even harder at this later age.

Great advice though. The drinking and smoking is crucial I think, as well as the overtraining (which I think for many is quite hard to avoid at times).

KostyaTszyu44
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
i started because i come from a boxing family and i wanted to do something different to rugby which i was playing at the time, and something that would get me respect and is a big test

KostyaTszyu44
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM

So some lessons -
but

hey im also an aussie

DaveJH
07-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Started about 4 years ago I think. I always had an interest in boxing when I was little, as our window cleaner was a good amateur boxer and showed me a little bit when I was about 6. Then when I was 11 or 12 my old man offered to take me to a boxing gym so I could learn how to handle myself. That got me training regularly and now I love the fitness that boxing has brought me.
I was always a really shy lad when I was younger, but I think that boxing has helped to bring out more confidence in me now.

their
07-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Started because my mates were doing it. Started again, when I couldn't play my first love, basketball, anymore.

DutchDynamite
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Good story, trrmo. Shame about the booze and partying though...sounds like you could have gone pretty far if you stayed away from that ****. But, I guess now that you have experienced it, you know it doesn't do any good, and that probably makes you train even harder at this later age.

Great advice though. The drinking and smoking is crucial I think, as well as the overtraining (which I think for many is quite hard to avoid at times).

Same here, i got injured on my foot from a KO to the head in Muy Thai while living in Australia... went on holidays and got hooked on alcohol and cigs. I stopped going to the gym all together and wasted years... gained 30 pounds, would drink as many days of the week as i would train before so it was all bad. It took me 8 years to realize i was killing myself so in 2006 i decided to stop the smoking and drinking all at once, cold turkey. i closed that book and am back at training 5 days a week, no more smokes and the alcohol i can control...

Trrmo
07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Same here, i got injured on my foot from a KO to the head in Muy Thai while living in Australia... went on holidays and got hooked on alcohol and cigs. I stopped going to the gym all together and wasted years... gained 30 pounds, would drink as many days of the week as i would train before so it was all bad. It took me 8 years to realize i was killing myself so in 2006 i decided to stop the smoking and drinking all at once, cold turkey. i closed that book and am back at training 5 days a week, no more smokes and the alcohol i can control...

Hmm sorry about your foot but how did the guy who got KOd feel!? Sounds like you have a similiar story, I tried just cutting down booze but I found eventually I would have a bender night which would lead to smoking or other stuff so now I simply dont drink at all. Keep up the training, cheers:boxing:

DutchDynamite
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Hmm sorry about your foot but how did the guy who got KOd feel!? Sounds like you have a similiar story, I tried just cutting down booze but I found eventually I would have a bender night which would lead to smoking or other stuff so now I simply dont drink at all. Keep up the training, cheers:boxing:

His face was pretty messed up haha...

I can now control the drinking to once every 2 weeks so no problem. I have a fear of getting fat again so i am watching my diet closely. You know we are no longer teenagers, gaining weight now is so easy.