View Full Version : The changing face of the guard.

Bluecifer
08-12-2003, 01:30 PM
It seems like after fedors fight with Nog Ju-jutsu may not be the same. People will no longer even try to pass the guard for the finish, they will just bang away from inside the guard hoping to win the decision(apparently this is the right strategy to beat Nog). From what I understand, even a skilled grappler like Ricco was unwilling to try and pass Nogs guard or go for any finishing moves, he was content just to stay in Nog's guard and score with short choppy blows. I think that this will make for more boring fights and wierd decisions. Thoughts?

Whoremaster B
08-12-2003, 02:32 PM
That means fighters will have to become more active in the guard.

Look at Josh Barnett. Hes a good grappler, but hardly the best. People never pound on him in guard.

Zen
08-12-2003, 03:16 PM
I think if a fighter is not attempting to pass the guard, they need to start standing fights up more often. If a guy is just gonna stay in guard for 20 minutes and throw some punches, that does not bode well for the future of the sport. I do think Ricco may have been more active if he was in better shape, he had to know that he was taking a chance by basically take a lay and pray approach to the fight in Nog's backyard.