View Full Version : Best equipment in general?

Nacho_Analstain
07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Not for one specific thing, But what brand all round makes the best equipment?

I know sometimes A makes better gloves than B but B makes better headgear than A but if you had to chose ONE brand to use for the rest of your career, Which would it be?

mspiegelo
07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
If I had an unlimited budget- I'd get Winning everything. Otherwise Grant is probably second for overall everything.

Individually, I also like Ringside stuff- the IMF training gloves in particular. I also like the Fightgear Mexican Headgear which absorbs a good punch really well and is cheaper than Grant or Winning!

Nacho_Analstain
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
winning- really expensive, but QUALITY if you can afford it. That's why all the pros use it. I also really like Ringside Gear (IMF Gloves!!), Grant Gear (foul protectors, pro training gloves) and the Fightgear Mexican Headgear.

I said try and choose ONE you fussy bastard :boxing::lol1:

mspiegelo
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
haha thats why i edited but i still gave a few answers there. I'm unfortunately a hopeless gear head for everything I pursue. Same thing with Guitars (I'm a professional musician). Its a damn curse!

Nacho_Analstain
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
haha thats why i edited but i still gave a few answers there. I'm unfortunately a hopeless gear head for everything I pursue. Same thing with Guitars (I'm a professional musician). Its a damn curse!

Well its good to be able to afford it :lol1:

I usually wear Everlast or Title stuff, Haven't had the chance to wear anything other than that :(

mspiegelo
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
haha- i can't afford it! i do a lot of trying others people gear at the gym to see what I like... the winning I've only tried on. haven't sparred with it, but it feels awesome- really cushy and well made! I did just throw down on the grant foul protector and gloves in matching green which is on the way and I'm excited, so that's my big purchase until January/February when I get my amateur headgear, trunks and Jersey for competition. All ringside had left was green or yellow, so I went with Green inspired by Pac-Man's green training Gear (nice avatar by the way).

Pac went all out for the green WINNING set though. Green isn't even a standard color that Winning offers, its a custom-order for Manny! I guess when you're lb 4 lb the best fighter in the world, you deserve the hottest **** on the market!!!

Nacho_Analstain
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
haha- i can't afford it! i do a lot of trying others people gear at the gym to see what I like... the winning I've only tried on. haven't sparred with it, but it feels awesome- really cushy and well made! I did just throw down on the grant foul protector and gloves in matching green which is on the way and I'm excited, so that's my big purchase until January/February when I get my amateur headgear, trunks and Jersey for competition. All ringside had left was green or yellow, so I went with Green inspired by Pac-Man's green training Gear (nice avatar by the way).

Pac went all out for the green WINNING set though. Green isn't even a standard color that Winning offers, its a custom-order for Manny! I guess when you're lb 4 lb the best fighter in the world, you deserve the hottest **** on the market!!!

I think i might save up to make my first Winning purchase, Nobody has a bad word to say about it, Not one! I can probably live with using my gyms safety equipment, They use Green Hill headgear so thats not bad and not sure about the low blow protectors ... For some reason i have never wore one, Never been hit in the bollocks ... Touch wood.

Didn't Pac get those shoes made just for him by Nike?

Actus Reus 21
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
who are the dumasses that voted title? Please go shoot yourself

P4PKING_2008
07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
who are the dumasses that voted title? Please go shoot yourself

I have only ever used BBE handwraps and Adidas gloves that just how I roll son.

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Everlast and Lonsdale are cheap and nasty. Some of their products tear easily. Grant is best for longivety and quality.

Pork Chop
07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Title and Ringside are different enough to deserve separate categories.
Ringside makes some pretty decent gear; especially if you consider Fight Gear & Combat Sports International are both Ringside child-companies.

No Top Tens?

Grant's great but their training gloves aren't padded enough for sparring in my experience; only time I'd wear 'em to spar is if I wanted to bust someone up real bad.

SugarShanep4p
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
yeah idk what the people who picked title are smoking but your high off your ass if you think they make the best equipment lol. Winnings aren't worth the money, at all, for half the price you can get Grants which are just as good if not better. From what i'v seen Grant looks to be the best stuff on the market right now, I'v got grant shoes and campeon gloves, which although really really heavy (I got 14's, they feel like 18's lol), are top quality. Although when grant first started making the Campeons they were really big, now they make them smaller, unfortunately I bought them when they first came out so I'v got these huge grants gloves. Since the grants proved to be too heavy I actully bought a pair of Pro Mex, I like their feel but I don't know how long their going to last, so title isn' the worst, their just not the best lol.

mspiegelo
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
IDK bro. Winning is so cushy i could sleep on it. Its ultra protective for your hands and head and is imo the best- why else would all the pros use it (pacman, oscar, floyd, collazo, margarito, cotto, pavlik, etc) in sparring. A lot of pros opt for Reyes in the fight because its better for punching, but in sparring when you're trying to preserve your body for the big one, it can't be beat. you could see manny rocking the green winning foul protector against diaz. And some fighters even prefer winning for fights if they have brittle hands like Mayweather (vs Judah) and Morales.

The foul protector is very light and allows for easy fast movements, though it could benefit from more wraparound protection to block kidney shots like the grant kinda does. that being said, i can't afford winning, so i use ringside stuff and grant mostly.

ringside does deserve to be seperate from title because it is better in every way. the only thing i use www.titleboxing.com for is for apparel, like cheap amateur gear (trunks, jerseys, etc).

dfwtx
07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
IDK bro. Winning is so cushy i could sleep on it. Its ultra protective for your hands and head and is imo the best- why else would all the pros use it (pacman, oscar, floyd, collazo, margarito, cotto, pavlik, etc) in sparring. A lot of pros opt for Reyes in the fight because its better for punching, but in sparring when you're trying to preserve your body for the big one, it can't be beat. you could see manny rocking the green winning foul protector against diaz. And some fighters even prefer winning for fights if they have brittle hands like Mayweather (vs Judah) and Morales.

The foul protector is very light and allows for easy fast movements, though it could benefit from more wraparound protection to block kidney shots like the grant kinda does. that being said, i can't afford winning, so i use ringside stuff and grant mostly.

ringside does deserve to be seperate from title because it is better in every way. the only thing i use www.titleboxing.com for is for apparel, like cheap amateur gear (trunks, jerseys, etc).

Better in every way? How many times have you sparred in title gel world training gloves or used a no foul guard of theres? I think you're getting a little carried away.

mspiegelo
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
that's true- better in every way might be exaggeration. i haven't tried all of title's stuff (or even most of it), and have never sparred with anything title. but i don't think any of their gloves are on par with the ringside imfs- just my impression and the consensus at my gym form guys who have presummably tried both.

i also tend to stick to ringside because if you are buying different equipment and you place orders from both companies- that's two shipping charges, haha. title is not crap by any means and i saw a pro sparring last week in a title foul protector, so there ya go.

dfwtx
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
that's true- better in every way might be exaggeration. i haven't tried all of title's stuff (or even most of it), and have never sparred with anything title. but i don't think any of their gloves are on par with the ringside imfs- just my impression and the consensus at my gym form guys who have presummably tried both.

i also tend to stick to ringside because if you are buying different equipment and you place orders from both companies- that's two shipping charges, haha. title is not crap by any means and i saw a pro sparring last week in a title foul protector, so there ya go.

Ok i get you, ringside does make pretty good stuff for the money, I just prefer title gel to ringside imf personally. It's really all about individual comfort.

fraidycat
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Winning. Hands-down the best gear.

P4P, though, I've got to give props to Rival.

Don't be stupid; spend as much on gear as you can. Don't buy no-name **** off eBay. Good gear means the difference between walking away in disgust and being driven away in an ambulance.

mspiegelo
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok i get you, ringside does make pretty good stuff for the money, I just prefer title gel to ringside imf personally. It's really all about individual comfort.

trudat brother!!!

rmz
07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I've used Top Contender, Everlast, Ringside, and Title boxing gear.

Top Contender - I've used their bag gloves and I thought they were rubbish. They're decent for a casual boxer, but they don't have great padding and the velcro comes loose a lot.

Everlast - Everlast has good "pro training" gloves, but all the cheap stuff they sell is rubbish, the padding in the glove gets ruined after a few uses.

Title Boxing - I'm using their 16 ounce training gloves right now and they are pretty good. The padding is pretty evenly distributed and they have lasted through quite a few gym sessions.

Ringside - Ringside is solid, I love their international sparring gloves, they're probably the best sparring gloves I've used, they are a little pricy but well worth it.

Back on topic, I voted for winning, I've heard they are the best of the best in terms of quality and comfort and all the pros use the brand. That being said, everyone is different so you got to try a lot of them on and see which you like best. Don't buy cheap though, you get what you pay for.

Nacho_Analstain
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Title and Ringside are different enough to deserve separate categories.
Ringside makes some pretty decent gear; especially if you consider Fight Gear & Combat Sports International are both Ringside child-companies.

No Top Tens?

Grant's great but their training gloves aren't padded enough for sparring in my experience; only time I'd wear 'em to spar is if I wanted to bust someone up real bad.

My fault, Didn't know that.

!! Shawn
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I think i might save up to make my first Winning purchase, Nobody has a bad word to say about it, Not one! I can probably live with using my gyms safety equipment, They use Green Hill headgear so thats not bad and not sure about the low blow protectors ... For some reason i have never wore one, Never been hit in the bollocks ... Touch wood.

Didn't Pac get those shoes made just for him by Nike?

No, they were designed for the 2008 US Olympic team. Pacman Oscar and Bernard got a pair too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2654357926_be4a416df8_b.jpg