View Full Version : what would you rather achieve??

aussieboxer2320
07-07-2008, 07:00 PM
would you rather be an olympic gold medallist, or be a professional world champ.......

P4PKING_2008
07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Pro world champ. Money baby. But, olympics would be awesome to even go.

cibola4
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
my plan is to try for both hahah...but
most of all i want to bring boxing back to mainstage in the eye of the public...
so WORLD CHAMP!!
Boxing is a beautiful sport,
Such skill
Grace
coordination
training
It should be Back in the spot light!!

J_CON
07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro world title. More $, more exposure, props from people everywhere, not just your own country.
pro world champ=$

PunchDrunk
07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Olympic gold medal. There's only one Olympic champion every four years, and only 11 divisions. Pro titles are a dime a dozen and there are many more divisions. I believe an Olympic gold is the superior achievement.

aussieboxer2320
07-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Olympic gold medal. There's only one Olympic champion every four years, and only 11 divisions. Pro titles are a dime a dozen and there are many more divisions. I believe an Olympic gold is the superior achievement.

u know what, i think ur right....

for money obviously i would prefer the pro title but i think it takes a more skilled and determined boxer to win the olympic gold, also you dont get paid which means you have to be incredibly dedicated

Trrmo
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I would say a world title pro (in a decent category that means something). While all my fights have been as an Amateur it was from watching pro boxing that made me want to start boxing in the first place. An olympic medal also would be an achievement of a lifetime but I still see pro boxing of more of the real thing as far as boxing goes. The strict rules and computer points scoring system in higher Amateur boxing competition have also ruined it a little for me. I think the majority of Amateurs boxers started not by admiring some amateur champion but were inspired by a professional boxer. Amateur boxing is more of a transitional phase to pro. Thats not saying there arent any great Amateur boxers, I have seen many. But I have to disgree on you with this one Punchdrunk.

PunchDrunk
07-07-2008, 10:40 PM
One reason most people grew up admiring pro fighers is because that is what we're exposed to by the media. I'm pretty sure Cuban kids are dreaming about Olympic glory, and their heroes are Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon. :)

To me, amateur is not just a transtition phase, it's another sport, or at least another discipline within the sport (like 100m sprint and 5K distance running). A slightly different skill set and talent is required. I happen to like amateur boxing a little more. :)

Trrmo
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
One reason most people grew up admiring pro fighers is because that is what we're exposed to by the media. I'm pretty sure Cuban kids are dreaming about Olympic glory, and their heroes are Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon. :)

To me, amateur is not just a transtition phase, it's another sport, or at least another discipline within the sport (like 100m sprint and 5K distance running). A slightly different skill set and talent is required. I happen to like amateur boxing a little more. :)

Fair enough, amateur boxing definitely should get more media coverage. I Just got back from a training session with the Cuban and Ecuadorian Olympic boxers and took some short videos which I am trying to post by running into a few probs but hopefully soon will be downloaded.

PunchDrunk
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Fair enough, amateur boxing definitely should get more media coverage. I Just got back from a training session with the Cuban and Ecuadorian Olympic boxers and took some short videos which I am trying to post by running into a few probs but hopefully soon will be downloaded.

Cool man, looking forward to seeing that!

Here's a video of one of my fighters doing VERY light sparring with 2005 welterweight world champion Erislandy Lara (who has since defected) at a tournament in Turkey last year:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-W_xCqvxy1Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-W_xCqvxy1Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

aussieboxer2320
07-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Cool man, looking forward to seeing that!

Here's a video of one of my fighters doing VERY light sparring with 2005 welterweight world champion Erislandy Lara (who has since defected) at a tournament in Turkey last year:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-W_xCqvxy1Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-W_xCqvxy1Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hmm nice, but obviously the cuban is in another class lol he was holding back a lot...but so was the other guy lol

how many fights has your guy in that vid had??? and whats his weight/age ?? he looks okay

PunchDrunk
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
my kid has 101 fights as of right now (won 76). He had about 80 at the time that was filmed. He's 21 and a welterweight.

Rafael Benitez
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
World Champion allday long. If you mean a proper champion as in undisputed/linear, then it is a silly question indeed. Even if you meant a major world title, it is still better than the Olympics all day long, even though some medallists make more money than titlists in UK (eg.Khan & Audrey compared to Witter). It isn't just the money, but the acheivement.

!! Shawn
07-08-2008, 12:29 AM
my kid has 101 fights as of right now (won 76). He had about 80 at the time that was filmed. He's 21 and a welterweight.

That Cuban has some of the longest freaking arms I have ever seen. Holy ****.

aussieboxer2320
07-08-2008, 05:14 AM

cool thats great.

SugarShanep4p
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
the gold baby

rmz
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
For me personally, I think the gold medal. A gold medal is a huge accomplishment and winning one brings more fame and endorsements I think than a world championship. Oscar wouldn't be who he is w/o his gold medal. A gold medal win boosted George Forman's and Muhammed Ali's careers as well.

mspiegelo
07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
that's hard. right now my goal is to become a ny golden gloves champ (not this year, but next) at 165 pounds novice. I'm a ways off, but I'm just gonna say it. You gotta have the vision before it can manifest.

as for your question: in theory, i'd have to say pro champ cause of the loot!

Then again, if you're an olympic gold medalist, you are almost destined to become a pro champ if you carefully manage your career and train your balls off! You are guaranteed a good promoter and have a world of options open to you.

sukhenkoy
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Olympic gold medalist. I don't want money to get in the way of something I like doing.