View Full Version : Anybody use Grant Pro training glove?

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
i searched the forum and it seems that everybody who has used grant gloves, its the cheap campeon gloves. Im thinkin of buyin the pro training glove. anybody ever used? and i needa know if they run big. should i get a 14 or 16 oz?i always train with 16oz. bag and mitts.

!! Shawn
07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
i searched the forum and it seems that everybody who has used grant gloves, its the cheap campeon gloves. Im thinkin of buyin the pro training glove. anybody ever used? and i needa know if they run big. should i get a 14 or 16 oz?i always train with 16oz. bag and mitts.

I have the 16 ounce ones. The lining is a little delicate, but I love them for sparring. You really need to be quite skilled to use them though. They are not very soft or padded, and if you like to spar all out, your sparring partners will not be sparring with you very long.

Pork Chop
07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I have the 16 ounce ones. The lining is a little delicate, but I love them for sparring. You really need to be quite skilled to use them though. They are not very soft or padded, and if you like to spar all out, your sparring partners will not be sparring with you very long.

What !! Shawn said - the fill is hard and only about an inch or an inch and a half thick; so it feels like you're sparring with 12ozers. They rate it at 16oz of padding because the padding is wide, instead of thick; i've got almost 2 inches of space past my pinky knuckle in the pocket. The result is a bulky glove without much protection. The leather's hard too, but very nice finish. The wrist support is amazing - feel like you can punch through a truck when all laced up. The lining is canvas and personally, i've never had a problem with it, though i prefer coolmax.

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
so do they give good protection overall? and good to hear about the wrist because lately, my wrists have been ****in with me..would you reccomend them? is it really worth the 120?

fraidycat
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I haven't used them but I've been hit by them. It's immensely unpleasant. They're as hard as Goddamn basketballs.

!! Shawn
07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
so do they give good protection overall? and good to hear about the wrist because lately, my wrists have been ****in with me..would you reccomend them? is it really worth the 120?

Id say its almost impossible to do anything even remotely close hurting your hands with them laced up tight.

I use to jam my thumb and what not all the time. Hasn't happened once with the Grants. I'll second what Fraidy said, The padding is very hard, quite thin compared to other sparring gloves, and it probably feels like getting hit in the face with a basketball.

If you are experienced and know how to keep your power under control, I would highly recommend them, but Ive had people flat out refuse to spar with me if I am wearing them.

I love how they are constructed with an open fist so it gives you something to squeeze against when you make a fist, and the open hand is great for parrying.

They are pro sparring gloves for a reason. They are not for greener fighters that are still slugging it out.

Actus Reus 21
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Dont get them! I got them and they kept ripping on the inside! they were a pain to spar in even after i broke them in. there wrist cuff was soo long that it basically covered 3/4 of my forearm and made it hard for me to be comfy and fast. If they made the interior of them better and shortend up the cuff they would be perfect tho. other than that they were nice but I had to get rid of them due to the ****ty interior and design. I had the pro training gloves not the campeon cheap ones

!! Shawn
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Dont get them! I got them and they kept ripping on the inside! they were a pain to spar in even after i broke them in. there wrist cuff was soo long that it basically covered 3/4 of my forearm and made it hard for me to be comfy and fast. If they made the interior of them better and shortend up the cuff they would be perfect tho. other than that they were nice but I had to get rid of them due to the ****ty interior and design. I had the pro training gloves not the campeon cheap ones

Yeah the lining is delicate, they should improve that, but the glove over all is excellent, although large.

SugarShanep4p
07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I haven't used them but I've been hit by them. It's immensely unpleasant. They're as hard as Goddamn basketballs.

WORD. I haven't been to the gym in about 8 months because I got nerve damage in both my forearms from overtraining, but a couple of the guys I move around with have the Grants and their BALLS hard. Then again so are the campeon so I think its just a thing with grant gloves in general. IMO both the campeons, which I use, and the pros are way too heavy. Before I got hurt I bought a pair of pro mex because I know somebody from the gym who has them and I like their feel, their also alot lighter. It depends on what you like, some people like heavier gloves for training, some don't, I personally don't but ill say one thing, all of Grants stuff is top quality and probably the most durable on the market right now so you wont be wasting your money.

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
nice. thanks for the replies i think im gonna get them with my next paycheck ill bump the thread when i get em in a couple weeks. but the main thing im lookin for in a glove is wrist protection cuz my wrists are kinda weak and the cuffs do look pretty long. but damn from the sounds of sparring or getting hit with them, i might just 16 just incase a dude got some grants too so we kinda even each other out haha. ive been hit while someone was using reyes though and those are suppose to be the punchers glove and it wasnt to bad.

!! Shawn
07-10-2008, 03:07 AM
nice. thanks for the replies i think im gonna get them with my next paycheck ill bump the thread when i get em in a couple weeks. but the main thing im lookin for in a glove is wrist protection cuz my wrists are kinda weak and the cuffs do look pretty long. but damn from the sounds of sparring or getting hit with them, i might just 16 just incase a dude got some grants too so we kinda even each other out haha. ive been hit while someone was using reyes though and those are suppose to be the punchers glove and it wasnt to bad.

Trust me when I say this, the Reyes sparring gloves are absolute pillows compared to the grants.

Migs
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Trust me when I say this, the Reyes sparring gloves are absolute pillows compared to the grants.

You know I've been interested in purchasing the Grant Pro Training gloves but with the intent of using them more for pad work and heavy bag work. I have the Ringside IMF lace up gloves that I spar in. The problem I have is that I don't like any of the bag gloves that I've purchased and/or tried. There is either not enough wrist support or the glove itself is to small and uncomfortable (I've checked the sizes to make sure too). So to whoever owns the Grant Pro Training gloves do you recommend them for the purpose I plan on using them for?

!! Shawn
07-11-2008, 03:24 PM
You know I've been interested in purchasing the Grant Pro Training gloves but with the intent of using them more for pad work and heavy bag work. I have the Ringside IMF lace up gloves that I spar in. The problem I have is that I don't like any of the bag gloves that I've purchased and/or tried. There is either not enough wrist support or the glove itself is to small and uncomfortable (I've checked the sizes to make sure too). So to whoever owns the Grant Pro Training gloves do you recommend them for the purpose I plan on using them for?

If you have the patience to lace them up they should do wonderfully.

mspiegelo
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
i just bought the green grant training gloves. someone said that real grant gloves have red lining only. that is false. if you get blue, green or yellow it has white lining. My gloves are fresh- really firm with good wrist support. people complain about the gloves seeming heavy? I got grant 16 oz and they seem really light to me! I am used to the heavier ringside imf velcro gloves that i have in 18oz.

I spared in my ringside today, then broke in the new grant pro gloves on the bags for a bit, then tried on an older pair of red grants that my friend has and they are REEALLLY broken in. Overall- packs a firm punch, feels light, great wrist support, and people say it hurts to get hit by it, but I will find out when i spar someone from another gym. we use 18's in house and 16 against outside guys.

for the guy asking if they're cool to do bag work in- i never use "bag gloves" i prefer to use my 18ozs for everything and will now mix it up with these new grant bad boys. the guys who compete already in my gym (i haven't had my first fight yet) use the actual amateur gloves on the bags sometimes before a fight, but bag gloves to me don't offer wrist support (like you said) and are extra money, so **** it...

Migs
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
If you have the patience to lace them up they should do wonderfully.

I actually prefer laceups. Good deal.

Migs
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
i just bought the green grant training gloves. someone said that real grant gloves have red lining only. that is false. if you get blue, green or yellow it has white lining. My gloves are fresh- really firm with good wrist support. people complain about the gloves seeming heavy? I got grant 16 oz and they seem really light to me! I am used to the heavier ringside imf velcro gloves that i have in 18oz.

I spared in my ringside today, then broke in the new grant pro gloves on the bags for a bit, then tried on an older pair of red grants that my friend has and they are REEALLLY broken in. Overall- packs a firm punch, feels light, great wrist support, and people say it hurts to get hit by it, but I will find out when i spar someone from another gym. we use 18's in house and 16 against outside guys.

for the guy asking if they're cool to do bag work in- i never use "bag gloves" i prefer to use my 18ozs for everything and will now mix it up with these new grant bad boys. the guys who compete already in my gym (i haven't had my first fight yet) use the actual amateur gloves on the bags sometimes before a fight, but bag gloves to me don't offer wrist support (like you said) and are extra money, so **** it...

Right on man. I think I'm gonna get a white pair. For some reason white gloves look so bad ass to me but green is definitely my next choice if I can't get white for some reason.

mspiegelo
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Right on man. I think I'm gonna get a white pair. For some reason white gloves look so bad ass to me but green is definitely my next choice if I can't get white for some reason.

ringside only has green and yellow in 16 oz as far as i know, and ordering from grant directly is worse- they have nothing in 16oz i believe. grant and ringside are mad backordered- til like october i think. i figure green was much sicker than yellow, plus pacman spars in all green, so thats dope. im white, so people are gonna assume im irish now, i guess, haha. thats all good. the irish are cool wit me! cheers bro.

Actus Reus 21
07-11-2008, 05:24 PM

I noticed the ones with the red interior last longer! the interior lasts longer that is. Check your gloves padding on the inside. Im talking about the padding on the upper part of the glove. Check it good from the inside and make sure its really really stitched on there because the ones I had to go through came in barly stitched and i went through 3 of them and at the end I said **** GRANT PRO TRAINING GLOVES!

mspiegelo
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
its not uncommon for glove lining to rip and/or get beat up/broken in over time, though it sounds like yours were defective or something... that sucks. mine seem VERY well made though and I really dont anticipate them ripping anytime soon...

as for the gloves, i have had mine for about a week now and have used them to work out in 4 times. here's my review and what i have experienced with them....

i usually tape over my wraps for added wrist support (with my velcro IMFs for example) I found that when I taped over my wraps, the Grants seemed too tight and hurt a little.

then the next couple of times, I just wrapped my hands- no tape. WOOWWWW! these gloves are freaking amazing. Perfect wrist support- no need for tape. They feel sooo good. no wrist or knuckle pain and they pack a punch. not to mention, grants look soooo sick. they dont feel heavy. they feel like 16z (which they are), slightly lighter than my 18z (the aforementioned imfs). if anything, they feel lighter than 16. they are really well-made with great padding.

i got an all green set (not including headgear) with the large green pro cup. after the humungous "butt straps" were altered- a perfect fit. everyone in the gym thought that **** was hot and even though we don't usually spar in-house with less than 18z, one of the two best heavies let me spar him with the 16z cuz I was so excited to use 'em while he used 22z (basically sock-n-boppers) to even things up. they felt amazing in sparring.... I love grant man and can't recommend these gloves enough....

Golden-Gloves
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I got some 16s for sparring from Everlast, no complaints here, I like em quite well so far..

http://www.everlast.com/prlasttrgl20.html

FIGHTING_FLIP
07-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I got some 16s for sparring from Everlast, no complaints here, I like em quite well so far..

http://www.everlast.com/prlasttrgl20.html

yes i got those.2 pairs actually. but im lookin for a different feel in a glove

Rafael Benitez
07-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Brilliant quality equipment. Get 14's to smash people up in training, as well as keeping it realistic to what you will use in fights. I use 10oz gloves! LOL.

FIGHTING_FLIP
08-24-2008, 04:38 AM
got the gloves 16 oz. first thang first, the leather is real strong. and the wrist cuff is realy long. when i was hittin the bag my wrist felt stiff it seems impossible to hurt your wrist wearin these. when you first try on the glove, well to me, it seemed like the best glove i ever tried on. but once you hit something, things change. like the knuckle part seems kinda soft and you can really feel the punches till the point it dont feel good. like my fist isnt stickin to the glove so my fist kinda slams against the actual glove when i land.did anyone else have this problem? i think it might be cuz they run kinda big so maybe ill get 14oz and it will be alright. but i dont know what the previous posters are talkin about the glove didnt seem that hard. but overall, if the 14oz makes the impact on your fist better, these are the perfect gloves.